Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

So now hopefully all you Americans out there are fat and content with bellies full of Thanksgiving fare. I have found myself in a rather income poor situation and found the turkey prices this year to be at if not better than what is typical of post-Thanksgiving or post-Christmas pricing. $.67/lb? Sure, I'll take 4 and freeze them. Now I personally love turkey and love roasting them in all sorts of different fashions. I have posted 3-4 different variations of preparations over the years but I do find myself in a conundrum. I love turkey but I'm pretty sure that making turkey for a frequent meal over the next month or three will strain my relationship with the bird. I'm asking you guys what ideas do you usually do with your leftovers? This thread doesn't have to be turkey-centric but can also be for ideas on any over abundant post-holiday food. No one wants it to go to waste do we?

So far I have these ideas:
Saving the carcasses for broth, duh.
Turkey & Dumplings
Sandwiches
Shred the turkey and then make turkey salad?
Turkey Chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Turkey tetrazzini can be nice.

I did a french style potato purée this year that is 30% butter. What the gently caress do I do with that without killing myself or others?
They taste amazing but I don't think I will make that dish again for a long while.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Turkey and wild rice soup!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm doing both Turkey enchiladas and gumbo this week.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Turkey tetrazzini is dinner tomorrow, and possibly sweet potato pancakes Sunday: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sweet-potato-pancakes-made-with-leftover-mash.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Turkey croquettes, turkey enchiladas, hot turkey sandwiches, and the carcass went into the stockpot.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Turkey sliders: Hawaiian rolls, turkey with a little gravy in one side, aged Gouda on the other. Searzall. So much better than the broiler toasted sandwiches of the past.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Turkey pot pie! Turkey soup! THANKSGIVING SAMMITCHES.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
Chop that Turkey down for some Kofta's, this type of thing....

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkey_kofta_tahini_sauce.html

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Turkey pot pie and turkey soups (turkey noodle, cream of turkey + wild rice) are my go-tos. Would love some other ideas though. What kind of sauce did you guys do for the turkey enchiladas?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Doing turkey gumbo and tired to make fried mashed potato patties the other day for breakfast but it didn't really work out. Sadly the gravy always runs out before the taters and stuffing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Doing turkey gumbo and tired to make fried mashed potato patties the other day for breakfast but it didn't really work out. Sadly the gravy always runs out before the taters and stuffing.

Well that's just cause you made the mistake of not making nearly a gallon of gravy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am a bad gravy maker and often have to cheat with chicken stock to stretch it out.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I went to my boyfriend's house for Thanksgiving, so I didn't have any leftovers beyond the plate his mom sent me home with. However, I work at a group home and during a double shift I was able to use the leftovers to make stock for a delicious turkey soup. Not very original but my clientele had fun helping and choosing the ingredients. Plus, it was delicious.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I'm making a ton of turkey pot pies out of the leftovers. Last year I made turkey korma, which I'll probably make more of again this year becase it was delicious and we got a really absurdly large turkey.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Post-thanksgiving cranberry turkey sandwiches are my jam; sliced leftover turkey breast with brie and havarti cheese, alfalfa sprouts, and cranberry sauce all on a wheat/multi-grain roll. Made one yesterday for the first time since last year's thanksgiving. It's my favorite loving sandwich to be honest.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We basically had a smaller turkey than usual, so we didn't have quite as many leftovers as usual. But, we had a few dinner plates of turkey and fixings, but my husband is a turkey sandwich lover. So I just made him a loaf of homemade white bread and he went to town eating sandwiches for a few days.

I also used a bunch of the dark meat (my husband is not a fan if it), defrosted some chicken thighs, and made a butter chicken with chicken and turkey. Worked out well...I sauteed the chicken first, then added the already cooked turkey. The other dark meat went for kitty treats (spoiled cats!!)

I am not used to having so little turkey left :( It was nice to not eat turkey for a few days straight but it is weird to not have so many leftover. However, we did a small heritage turkey for us this year and it was amazing. Heritage turkeys is pricy but oh, worth it!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The turkey leftovers have been frozen and vacuum sealed to save for a few weeks off. I got a Foodsaver as an early Xmas gift, and have already ordered the Mason Jar attachment so I can preserve the home made chicken and turkey stock I keep in the freezer for basically forever. SOUP INFINITY.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This year I made a Turkey Shepherd's pie using the leftover turkey, corn, and mashed potatoes. Turkey, corn, stuffing, plus some sautéed mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery all went in a pie crust. Oh and of course gravy. I added some extra butter to the potatoes before topping the thing off and putting in the oven.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I ended up doing enchiladas with a mole sauce. One batch was turkey, chorizo, and cheese. Good but the turkey was a little dried after a few days. The other was sweet potato, black bean, and cheese. That one was perfect. The only thing I'd have done differently is some more heat (I made it at my girlfriend's and realized when I got there that the cayanne was gone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Turkey "pot pie:" turkey and gravy, topped with leftover vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, then leftover dressing on the very top. Into the oven until the gravy bubbles and the dressing is crispy. Cranberry cheesecake for dessert to use up the leftover cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving was like a month ago, though. :canada:

• Locked thread