Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

Basically, yes.

it would've been more accurate had the dude yelled at one guy for not acknowledging His Holy Presence also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

When Dusty gets out/retires he should sell his services as a consultant or something to act as a PS for Navy folk that's actually worth a drat. Help people route paperwork and chits etc.

Seriously I would have paid good money for the right answer on crap without getting dicked around by the PS's and Chiefs all speculating poo poo. And trying to navigate Google and all those NAVADMINs etc

-edit just tell me how to cheat the system and make siblings dependents to cash in on BAH like the dude I knew who had his two younger sisters as dependents because he was an e-3 and got all that BAH money and family sep pay. I've seen a lot of parents as dependents (Filipinos lol) but only saw that once

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 21, 2014

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Christoff posted:

When Dusty gets out/retires he should sell his services as a consultant or something to act as a PS for Navy folk that's actually worth a drat. Help people route paperwork and chits etc.

Seriously I would have paid good money for the right answer on crap without getting dicked around by the PS's and Chiefs all speculating poo poo. And trying to navigate Google and all those NAVADMINs etc

-edit just tell me how to cheat the system and make siblings dependents to cash in on BAH like the dude I knew who had his two younger sisters as dependents because he was an e-3 and got all that BAH money and family sep pay. I've seen a lot of parents as dependents (Filipinos lol) but only saw that once

In all seriousness I've seen dudes make 20k + on PCS when Seabees would load Uhauls with pallets of concrete hidden by a mattress and some other furniture and go weigh their "ditty" move cross country. Props for cheating the system but also gently caress them. :colbert:

Edit:

justice4trayvawn: I think that was what was coming but Robot Chicken decided that was a good time to "change" channel. I've seen similar happen with "what's up dude," to a Noble and the aftermath... let's just say it isn't pretty.

germskr fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 21, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boon posted:

Walking past a line of very junior/fresh out of bootcamp enlisted is a nightmare because of this.

One of my friends got lost in Pensacola one time and ended up walking through the A-school barracks. Apparently they call attention on deck for ensigns. She felt terrible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Apparently they call attention on deck for ensigns.

hosed up if true.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When I PCS'd a while ago I remember the lady was threatening me "don't go throw concrete in there! They know to check for that and you can get court martialed!"

I think I had to sign something saying I wouldn't too.

But I remember people still talking about it and doing it up until very recently so hey!

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Christoff posted:

When I PCS'd a while ago I remember the lady was threatening me "don't go throw concrete in there! They know to check for that and you can get court martialed!"

I think I had to sign something saying I wouldn't too.

But I remember people still talking about it and doing it up until very recently so hey!

Last time I PCS'd I had to weigh when I left empty and then full when I arrived. Pretty sure that's how the instruction is written, do they not make people do that though?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Geizkragen posted:

Last time I PCS'd I had to weigh when I left empty and then full when I arrived. Pretty sure that's how the instruction is written, do they not make people do that though?

I ditty moved from North Carolina to California this last PCS and I weighed the truck full before I left and then weighed it empty in California right before I fueled it up and turned it back in. I don't know how much a tank of gas weighs but 24' Penske trucks hold a poo poo ton of fuel.

I too have heard all kinds of horror stories about people hiding concrete in their goods and somehow getting slammed for cheating the system. The few dollars you might earn was never worth the risk for me I guess.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Hekk posted:

I too have heard all kinds of horror stories about people hiding concrete in their goods and somehow getting slammed for cheating the system. The few dollars you might earn was never worth the risk for me I guess.

The more legitimate version I've heard of is people using the opportunity to buy a weight set and have the Navy cover some of it due to the weight difference.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
If they Navy handles SPM/DITY like USAF/USCG then it's plenty easy to scam. A couple years ago though they changed the calculations probably to cut down on the number of people scamming it. Or at least to cut down the amount of money involved.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I preferred when other people moved all my poo poo for me so I didn't have to do a loving thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I preferred when other people moved all my poo poo for me so I didn't have to do a loving thing.

That was pretty awesome because packing loving sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thank god I live in Japan then. The japanese company that the navy contracts out will come out and pack all your things for you before they ship them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Thank god I live in Japan then. The japanese company that the navy contracts out will come out and pack all your things for you before they ship them.

I thought all movers were supposed to both pack your household goods at the pick up location and unpack your goods at their destination. I've had a bunch of lazy movers before that try to drop my stuff off in my garage or whatever but I always make them pack everything and unpack and position my stuff the way I want it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Hekk posted:

I thought all movers were supposed to both pack your household goods at the pick up location and unpack your goods at their destination. I've had a bunch of lazy movers before that try to drop my stuff off in my garage or whatever but I always make them pack everything and unpack and position my stuff the way I want it.

This is correct. And the guys that drop off will do everything in their power to get out of unpacking.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
They also get paid a shitload to do it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just had to trim my disgusting PCS leave beard a bit. It still gets to live for another week or so though!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

At O'Hare, haven't seen any newbies milling about, will update as warns and as bac increases.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did a HHG move because I was told it meant "they have to give you BAH"

:saddowns:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bartender talking about how Navy went to poo poo with "stress cards", women on ships, and tame shellback ceremonies

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Still haven't figured out what stress cards are but everyone sure has heard of them! "Yeah they started using them in _____"
Which is usually couple years after they went to boot camp

Hell in boot camp everyone was talking about how the AF like totally has them. And they can have phones

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I still don't know anyone that's actually seen a stress card, and I asked some trainees a few weeks back who went through late last year.

Nick Soapdish posted:

At O'Hare, haven't seen any newbies milling about, will update as warns and as bac increases.

I went into the USO there once when it was packed with babyfaces. I wasn't in uniform but I authoritatively asked for all sailors with CTI contracts to come talk to me. Answered some basic questions because no recruiter has any information about CTIs and it's usually drastically wrong (i.e. YOU SIT AT FOB U TRANSLATE ALL DAY OK). A CTR contract tried to get in on my meet and greet and i told him to gently caress off because ~~~radars~~~

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Divorced woman says rescued cat "rescued her". After tip, 4 beers was around 12/beer. Thanks Obama.

Edit: Stop the presses, dude wearing a 1st Cav (I think, who knows?) hat just took his terrible family to the head of the connector of flight.

Hang all Cav. Hang all brown shoes.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 22, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Divorced woman says rescued cat "rescued her". After tip, 4 beers was around 12/beer. Thanks Obama.

Edit: Stop the presses, dude wearing a 1st Cav (I think, who knows?) hat just took his terrible family to the head of the connector of flight.

I had to deal with 1st Cav a lot in Iraq. They really are the worst.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yea, gently caress those guys. :bandwagon:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Still haven't figured out what stress cards are but everyone sure has heard of them! "Yeah they started using them in _____"
Which is usually couple years after they went to boot camp

Hell in boot camp everyone was talking about how the AF like totally has them. And they can have phones

Cousin flunked out of EOD, he had his phone throughout boot camp and was allowed to turn it on some days to text people. I laughed hella hard and thought he just left boot camp but no.

Also USO is always funny to sit in, even as a boot waiting to get on the flight to C school. So many people that wanted to get on a plane back home or just take a taxi when i told them they cant change their job.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Pandasmores posted:

Cousin flunked out of EOD, he had his phone throughout boot camp and was allowed to turn it on some days to text people. I laughed hella hard and thought he just left boot camp but no.

Also USO is always funny to sit in, even as a boot waiting to get on the flight to C school. So many people that wanted to get on a plane back home or just take a taxi when i told them they cant change their job.

What do you mean I'm stuck with the choices I made and signed for?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have a student right now that was contract subs but he told them at boot camp he didn't wanna do it anymore and they let him switch. I guess because they are trying to ramp up manning for this rate they let him.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

orange juche posted:

you haven't lived until you've had a Japanese move. All your belongings tucked lovingly away in paper and cardboard, folded neatly, and organized by room, and the movers even take their shoes off while going in and out of your home...even in they are in the middle of carrying a couch. All movers should be Japanese movers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Part 1:

Part 2: (linked for :nws:)

More details here

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I have a student right now that was contract subs but he told them at boot camp he didn't wanna do it anymore and they let him switch. I guess because they are trying to ramp up manning for this rate they let him.

subs is volo only, you can always back out, even on the boat you can tap.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Arione posted:

lol

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Arione posted:

They prefer you try to double-tap first.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Arione posted:

I wish I had loving known that :saddowns:

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
KetTarma, did you just reenlist??

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Arione posted:

Truth. You just gotta walk up to doc tell him you want out, and when he's done laughing you get back to work.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Merry Christmas. I'll never forget my first Xmas as the noble on duty, going to the police station at 3am to see the chief who beat the hell out of his wife then trying to help her find a battered women's shelter.

If you're working or deployed, do your best to enjoy the day and remember how much family can suck too . If you're home with family and hating it, think about the assholes deployment... Grass is always greener right? (unless you're out, then enjoy enjoy your school /work break and get shitfaced for the next 6 days)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

On liberty from boot! Grad on the 9th! I got stuck in a coed state flags division. At 37 I'm the oldest by far (including all my RTCs) but in way better shape than the average teen boot. Been treated fairy well. Looking forward to Pensacola and going back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

On liberty from boot! Grad on the 9th! I got stuck in a coed state flags division. At 37 I'm the oldest by far (including all my RTCs) but in way better shape than the average teen boot. Been treated fairy well. Looking forward to Pensacola and going back home.

Congrats, how cold was it at RTC?

• Locked thread