Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Nah man, what really adds diversity to a pilot's career is flying ensigns around Mississippi in T-45s. I mean, flying with the French? What did France ever contribute to our military? Answer me that, lieutenant. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah man, what really adds diversity to a pilot's career is flying ensigns around Mississippi in T-45s. I mean, flying with the French? What did France ever contribute to our military? Answer me that, lieutenant. :smug:

Training command is a career ender as well. One of our LTs here who was an EP guy in his fleet tour, EP guy here and instructor of the year, failed to select for DH. Pilots again have slightly better luck but we have a lot guys not even make O4. Of course no NFO should ever want to come to a training command now that we've been relegated to being sim bitches that get barely enough flight time to meet our minimums.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is from a Proceedings article and talking with some Os in my time but, isn't this the same with how we're sending the mediocre, middle of the road people to the War Colleges and other places where it is suppose to be the best, brightest, and next generation of Navy leaders.

I want to effort post respond to this. Maybe later.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Again, this is all very aviation-centric, I have no idea how it works for the other warfare communities.

I will say that of all the URL communities, aviation is absolutely the most restrictive when it comes to career progression based on what I know about all of them. I suspect it's a direct result of how long it takes you guys from commission to being an actual operational aviator. The community just can't afford to have you guys stray too far.

People talk a lot of poo poo about SWOs, but aviators seem to be actively punished for not kissing the ring enough

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I will say that of all the URL communities, aviation is absolutely the most restrictive when it comes to career progression based on what I know about all of them. I suspect it's a direct result of how long it takes you guys from commission to being an actual operational aviator. The community just can't afford to have you guys stray too far.

People talk a lot of poo poo about SWOs, but aviators seem to be actively punished for not kissing the ring enough

Yeah the initial time to train is a huge part of it and I meant mention that. I hit my fleet squadron almost exactly twothree years after I commissioned and I had no appreciable delays in my training. The other thing that kind of screws us is the fact that our MSR doesn't even start ticking until we get winged so the Navy gets us coming and going. By the time I met my initial MSR I was already in the DH window and appeared to be on the path and boy howdy was I wrong about that. Being selected for OP-T DH added additional years to my MSR and so by the time I could get out again I was already halfway+ to retirement.

e: Three years, not two.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 19, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah the initial time to train is a huge part of it and I meant mention that. I hit my fleet squadron almost exactly two years after I commissioned and I had no appreciable delays in my training. The other thing that kind of screws us is the fact that our MSR doesn't even start ticking until we get winged so the Navy gets us coming and going. By the time I met my initial MSR I was already in the DH window and appeared to be on the path and boy howdy was I wrong about that. Being selected for OP-T DH added additional years to my MSR and so by the time I could get out again I was already halfway+ to retirement.

Yeah, MSR is huge for you guys too. I'm still waiting to see what the fallout of the last DH board is going to be. Clearly something's got to give.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'll bet that statistically, being tall is the most helpful trait in getting a command.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is from a Proceedings article and talking with some Os in my time but, isn't this the same with how we're sending the mediocre, middle of the road people to the War Colleges and other places where it is suppose to be the best, brightest, and next generation of Navy leaders.

I was trying to type up a long effort post to properly answer this but blah.

The short answer is that the Naval War College (the only one that's actually worth a drat) is very different now than when it started. Today, it primarily exists to educate officers on joint doctrine and give a token master's degree to those still on track for command, not necessarily those best suited to going to school and "thinking big thoughts".

It still does good, high level, strategic thought and doctrine review but that is primarily done by civilian PhD's with a small cadre of officer students (who apply for the groups that do it) assisting them.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

vulturesrow posted:

The whole diverse background thing is the very definition of double speak. Of course I'm speaking from an aviator's POV but our career path is very defined and good luck even making operational department head if you don't stick to the path. And if you don't make operational department head you aren't making O5 as an aviator. Perfect example of that is doing a PEP tour (exchange tour flying with a foreign military). That's the very definition of a diverse experience and yet it is not considered a "career enhancing" tour at all. Pilots have a little better shot at screening operational DH with a PEP tour under your belt but again, good luck if you are an NFO. I have a buddy who did a PEP tour and didn't even make O4. Extremely intelligent guy, good officer and NFO but got totally hosed by that decision.

The last two years no PEPs made O4. In fact the overall selection rate for non-production billets (meaning not a VFA VT HT VX etc) was 12% for O4. But it supposedly has nothing to do with diversity of experience and everything to do with the 8yr commitments for pilots. Nobody is able to get out before the board these days.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

True, but 'kissing the ring' still translates to flying an operational aircraft so please don't shed a tear for us.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Geizkragen posted:

True, but 'kissing the ring' still translates to flying an operational aircraft so please don't shed a tear for us.

Don't worry about me ever shedding tears for aviators.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Next month's thread tag right there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

Next month's thread tag right there.

Make it "Aviators: Cool Nobles or Coolest Nobles?" :dukedog:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Really though, the few pilots I ever interacted with while I was active duty seemed like pretty chill dudes. They were all Helo pilots though, not sure if there is a difference between them and the fixed wing types.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I thought you were a nerd NFO? Just trying to look cool by proxy eh?

PS - Hang all brown shoes

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hang all brown shoes

Here is the next thread title.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

Really though, the few pilots I ever interacted with while I was active duty seemed like pretty chill dudes. They were all Helo pilots though, not sure if there is a difference between them and the fixed wing types.

I'm at an aviation command, and aviators in general are extremely chill nobles. Being at an aviation command has ruined me as far as the rest of the Navy, I dunno if I can deal with surface types anymore.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

I thought you were a nerd NFO? Just trying to look cool by proxy eh?

PS - Hang all brown shoes

IDC warrior trying to call someone a nerd lol. :sissies:

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

its on now~

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

lol

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Still on PCS leave report: Went to Medieval Times in Dallas. Front row seats, and our knight (yellow) fuckin owned all the other scrubs and won the scripted tournament. This must be what it feels like when your favorite WWE dude wins a match you're at. Food was OK. Sparks fly off the swords when they clash. I had 4 beers for the price of three six packs. Still worth it.

OK back to officer chat

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

DustyNuts posted:

Still on PCS leave report: Went to Medieval Times in Dallas. Front row seats, and our knight (yellow) fuckin owned all the other scrubs and won the scripted tournament. This must be what it feels like when your favorite WWE dude wins a match you're at. Food was OK. Sparks fly off the swords when they clash. I had 4 beers for the price of three six packs. Still worth it.

OK back to officer chat

Aren't you an officer, your grace?

One time whilst underway I thought it would be funny to act like a medieval peasant towards officers including not making eye contact and only ending replies with "m'lord" and scurrying away when given an order

The cool ones thought it was pretty funny but I was only brave enough to do it to o-3 and below :(

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

OK back to officer chat

Medieval Times rules.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DustyNuts posted:

OK back to officer chat

Dallas? Jesus man I'm sorry. I'm... so, so sorry.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

Aren't you an officer, your grace?

One time whilst underway I thought it would be funny to act like a medieval peasant towards officers including not making eye contact and only ending replies with "m'lord" and scurrying away when given an order

The cool ones thought it was pretty funny but I was only brave enough to do it to o-3 and below :(

Dusty's a PS1.

How dare you not have an encyclopedia like knowledge of everyone in the Navy thread.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218141004.htm

Congrats to Navy medicine for being ahead of the curve

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218141004.htm

Congrats to Navy medicine for being ahead of the curve

Source: Texas A&M AgriLife Communications

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
One of my friends from college is a flight noble. I visited him down in Pensacola at that lovely airfield they train on and he showed me their ready room and I started shaking with rage

all brown shoes must hang

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Dusty's a PS1.

How dare you not have an encyclopedia like knowledge of everyone in the Navy thread.

He's also probably the most helpful person in the Navy threads, so there's no way he could be an officer :smug:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

He's also probably the most helpful person in the Navy threads, so there's no way he could be an officer or a chief :smug:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Analogical posted:

One of my friends from college is a flight noble. I visited him down in Pensacola at that lovely airfield they train on and he showed me their ready room and I started shaking with rage

What squadron?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

He's also probably the most helpful person in the Navy threads, so there's no way he could be an officer :smug:

:golfclap:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

Is there any one here in these threads that has not gotten help from Dusty?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Analogical posted:

Because of the popcorn machine or the foosball table?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Can any noble confirm receiving salutes feels like this?

My lord

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

germskr posted:

My lord

My divo actively avoids people outside for specifically this reason.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

My lord

Basically, yes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

germskr posted:

My lord

Walking past a line of very junior/fresh out of bootcamp enlisted is a nightmare because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Walking past a line of very junior/fresh out of bootcamp is a nightmare because of this.

Going to school in Newport and having to deal with all the OCS people hurt my brain.

• Locked thread