Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Gordon Hayward's career has basically been one very good year followed by one dog poo poo year, then repeat

Even going back to college his outside shooting has always varied wildly from year to year which is why I don't really trust the start he's had this year.

Also the contract is still dumb because they had a chance to extend him for a lot less before last year and declined to do so. If you're going to match literally any offer regardless of how lovely he plays then that makes no sense.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

Justin Beiber and Blake Griffin reportedly "cleared the air" yesterday after an offseason confrontation

lmao the nba is the best league

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Winning the loving West and then running into quite possibly the best team in the conference at full strength in the first drat round would really suck though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

There's going to be no easy series in the first round in the West. It's going to be murderer's row all the way down from 1 to 8.

I mean there will be a lot of good teams, but OKC if they play at the level they were at for most of last year is quite a bit better than a normal 5-8 seed in the west would be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

We should publish the 30% of goons that are idiots based on this poll and have ourselves a purge.

Clearly we need should only have a gameday thread every 3 months.

you are one of the last people who should be encouraging me to start purging people, bashez

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are like three people on the current sixers roster who might have a future with the team or indeed any NBA team. They're not playing young guys to get them prepared for the future, they are blatantly trying to lose on purpose.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

They have 6 rookies, 4 2nd year guys and 3 3rd year guys. What exactly does "playing young guys" look like to you?

they are playing them because they are bad and it's the easiest/cheapest way to lose not because they seriously think any of those dudes have a future with the team.

I mean I don't really care but it's really silly to pretend that they're doing anything except trying to lose as many games as possible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
everyone wants to live in warm and scenic philadelphia it's true

who could forget all the major free agents they've signed recently like

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

I can't remember the last time the Spurs had a great FA coup, so I'm not really sure what winning has to do with it. Maybe I'm just forgetting something.

I'm not sure they've really made much of an attempt though. And while winning doesn't necessarily make you a great FA destination, losing a lot can make you a lot less attractive, even to more mid-tier guys. And I think the way they're losing would be a particular turn off since I would think a subset of people who tends to be highly competitive by nature would likely be turned off by a franchise who is fine with essentially throwing games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

It's a near certainty he'll improve. I only said that because there was a minority of people on here who smugly said he was one of the best or most efficient scorers in NCAA history, not really taking into account how different the two games are

I used that as evidence that he would be a good outside shooter which I think will probably still be true. No one was saying he was going to be anything close to the player he was in college.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only thing I've seen of Gal Mekel was summer league this year but he looked loving awful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Can we please not do this whole stupid thing and talk about loving basketball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the whole thing with Drummond is that he's a huge athletic freak with a super low skill level. He was one of the most unpolished guys coming out of college in recent memory and only wound up succeeding because he's such an overwhelming physical talent. Trying to turn him into David Robinson is jamming a square peg into a round hole, and it's not really necessary in a modern NBA offense. Just let him create havok with his athleticism rather than kill possession after possession with awkward hook shots that he's likely never going to master.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
probably still lovely, and if he'd had another year like his freshman year it would have seriously tanked his stock

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

Given the long track record I'm wondering why:

1) Big men continue to commit to UConnn
2) Anyone continues to commit to Syracuse

Those teams win a shitload and their players often get drafted very high.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was asking about Schröder's lack of playing time in Atlanta, and now he's played himself into the rotation and there's a Lowe piece up on Grantland.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/could-dennis-schroder-evolve-into-atlantas-answer/

He's always been able to get to the rim pretty much at will, if he can start to actually finish then he can be pretty good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like I've heard this before but I can't quite put my finger on it

He's actually doing it so far this year, and hasn't been in the league as long.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Is Giannis actually that much better this year, or is he just doing more highlight reel stuff?

He is a lot better but he was bad enough last year that it still means he's just kinda okay. He's good for one crazy rear end .gif/vine/youtube/whatever a night and people are predisposed to like him so he'll probably always be at least a bit overrated by the NBA internet crew, but he's at least a legit NBA rotation guy now. Playing him at PF was a good idea.

BIZORT posted:

Those Bulls teams were odd because none of the key players were really at their peak, except maybe Kukoc, but even him, not really. Jordan was still the best player in the league but he was obviously older and had to be rested. Pippen was just past his prime, where his body began to fail him. Rodman was great but his body began to go out as well. They were all just focused, completely in sync, and every single player knew their role. They were a machine. The Orlando teams were more talented but Chicago just steamrolled them once they got Rodman. Indiana was their only real threat.

Pippin didn't break down until the next year. He played all 82 games in 96-97 and had numbers in line with his peak level. It wasn't his absolute best season, but it was up there and he was still a great player. That they were still so good the next year after his back went out and he missed a bunch of games was really impressive.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 8, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dion Waiters is really bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

I hate to do this because it feels like such a minor thing, but he does not play PF. He plays almost all his minutes with Jabari Parker or Middleton who actually play PF.

Hashtag NobodyGivesAShitAboutTheBucks dot com

He and Parker both bounce back and forth between the two positions but fine, encouraging him to play closer to the basket was a good idea.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
who the gently caress let jon brockman in a slam dunk contest

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

The first time a European monarch isn't the weirdest-looking people in the room.

Really disappointed that he wasn't violently dunked on while having a declaration of independence dropped on his face.

There is not nearly enough revolutionary war trash talk done.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I hope LeBron spent his entire time around the royals referring to himself in the third person as King James.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Time posted:

This would probably be the first kid Karl Malone actually acknowledged

He acknowledges, like, two of them. Maybe three. He even named one of them Karl Malone Jr!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Aye Doc posted:

he saw that little boy and knew he was destined to gently caress 13 year olds and violently elbow people in the head

He plays football for LSU, which seems about right.

Terrible father sure, but he seriously has the best genetics of all time. We should stick him in a lab somewhere and use his DNA to genetically engineer an army of super soliders with elbows that can knock a man's head clean off his shoulders.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
:(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
To be fair I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever seen him smile was when he's shooting something with a shotgun.

Karl Malone is super good at shooting things with a shotgun, by the way.

e: also goddamn he's bigger and looks like he's still in better shape than a kid who is an offensive lineman for one of the best programs in the SEC. Dude is a goddamn cyborg.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

roundmidnight posted:

Your 2014-15 NBA All-Star Game starting point guard, Jeremy Lin

people freak out about this every year and it hasn't happened

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only people who ever thought Williams was better than Paul were a tiny minority of really dumb homer Utah fans who focused on Williams completely destroying Paul every time they played against each other (because Deron's size/strength made him a bad matchup for Paul) and ignored that Chris Paul was way better than Williams against everyone else in the legaue. It was silly. There was a period where he had a pretty strong case as the second best PG in the league though.

Williams has been hurt a bunch the last few years. His first full year with the Nets he was actually really good but no one noticed because he got off to a slow start while he recovered from an injury. He's been okay this year. The contract is bad though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Chris Paul had a couple rough, injured years even though his numbers don't really show it in NO and I don't have a problem saying Deron was better for that stretch. Paul learned to play with diminished athleticism, Deron got injured and really hasn't.

man you have weird rear end chris paul opinions

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

People are coming around to agreeing with me, at the rate of 1 or 2 posters a year.

By all evidence you keep a detailed diary of who agrees or disagrees with you about anything so I am gonna take your word here.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

For all y'all who ain't been watching basketball since forever, Malone delivered the realest elbow the league's ever seen and crushed the potential ability to coach clear out Isiah's skull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bM-Y4UoiAY
it kinda rules provided you love killer dope poo poo and don't mind abandoning empathy for your fellow man

And really you shouldn't have empathy for Isiah Thomas anyway.

And don't forget that the reason he tried to murder someone via elbow upside the dang dome is that the person was making his best bro John Stockton look bad by scoring too many points against him. That's what I like to call True Love :love:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

In my CSI style analysis of the video (you can make out what looks to be a 1 on his warmups, he's black, and roughly similar height as malone) It's probably Rodman, but it could be John Salley or Orlando Wooldrige (who's a forgotten man but was Karl Malone esque in photos)

Nah woolridge is on the court when it happens and the guy who sprinted onto the court and attempted to commit suicide by elbow is in warmups. Also way shorter than Karl so probably a guard.

Someone also gets into a shoving match with Mark Eaton which seems like a horrible idea.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 10, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Announcer says "Eaton and Walker are getting into it", so I'm guessing it was Darrell Walker and Eaton shoved him in retaliation or something. I can't see a number but he was number 5 which would look like a 3.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 10, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
that's not very nice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I bring this up a lot but in Chicago Kyle Korver always had DRTGs that were way under 100 because he was always on the court with Asik, Gibson, and Ronnie Brewer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fields was good for the first few months of his rookie year and then started to come back to earth and never got back to the level he started at. But by then everyone already had it in their heads that he was a good player because he was a nice story, gave good interviews, and was a Knick (no one is more overrated than a mildly competent Knick player on his rookie deal).

If you're good right away it takes people a long time to notice when you fall back to earth because you immediately get a bunch of stories about how good you are and that sticks in the public's memory. Brandon Jennings was being hailed as a future star forever because he scored 55 points in one of his first games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

Dear Nick Young,

You're shooting even worse than Kobe

Sincerely,
A Concerned Fan

I feel like you do not understand Nick Young at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan Hill or whoever just straight up beating the piss out of Kobe would make my year, both because the idea of Kobe Bryant getting punched a bunch of times is inherently amusing and because his resulting press conferecnes and tweets would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah most of the country is not close to an nba arena. Also basketball games are loving expensive and a big chunk of the league grew up fairly poor.

• Locked thread