Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I think someone should make a website devoted only to pitching stats for position players. It's especially weird when a no-name guy like Dean Anna pitches an inning http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/annade01-pitch.shtml because I'm guessing a lot of people who stumbled onto that one game wouldn't have known he wasn't just some random reliever they'd never heard of.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I think Jefferson Olives runs this account: https://twitter.com/70mphfastball

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Byrd to the Reds for a Ben Lively and cash and maybe something else.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

Anyone have any source on what the M's 2015 payroll will be? They have added a load to it, right?

It's around $124 mil or so according to B-R (they've already updated to add Seth Smith). It's third in the AL West right now. Jack Z has said he's not done, but he probably won't pull off any blockbuster trades.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Supposedly Marlon Byrd is going to the Reds for Ben Lively and some other player

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

seiferguy posted:

It's around $124 mil or so according to B-R (they've already updated to add Seth Smith). It's third in the AL West right now. Jack Z has said he's not done, but he probably won't pull off any blockbuster trades.

You made me look up the A's 2015 payroll and it currently stands at $68 mil. Amazing.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly Marlon Byrd is going to the Reds for Ben Lively and some other player

Apparently it's just Ben Lively and the Reds are getting some cash.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Byrd? What a blah move.

e: I realize the payroll is hosed and all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that's a decent pickup for Philly considering Byrd is pretty old and terrible now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Byrd was above average last year, not terrible at all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs sign Chris Denorfia to a 1 year contract for 2.6 million. Hopefully he can pick thngs up against lefties again this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Byrd's numbers were better than I thought they were, but I figure the Reds have a high chance of getting little out of him at this point

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Rockies have signed Nick Hundley for 2 yrs at just over $6M total.

$3M/year isn't that bad for him (I don't think it is anyway)

I've seen two rumors surrounding Rosario with this: either he's going to be put into a corner IF/OF/backup C role with Colorado, or is just traded.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Byrd's numbers were better than I thought they were, but I figure the Reds have a high chance of getting little out of him at this point

yeah, I thought this was a really good move for the Phillies. Byrd's value will never be higher than it is right now, the Phillies have absolutely zero chance of contending for the rest of the contract, and they got someone out of him who scouting reports say has a really good chance to be part of a Major League rotation. It sounds like the cash going to the Reds is considerable, but that doesn't really bother me. They have enough money that if a couple million is the difference between a lottery ticket and a top-ten prospect, they should do that every time.

Other than a cursory read-up after the trade was announced, I don't know anything about Lively. What should my expectations be of him?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Sabean pretty much has to start wheeling and dealing at this point, because the free agent options at 3b and LF were already underwhelming and now they're really bad.

Unless he's just banking on the idea that he doesn't need to try until next offseason anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's tough to say how good a move it was for the Phillies because we don't know ho much of byrds salary they are paying.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

http://www.brettmyersmusic.com/#!media/c1zv2

holy poo poo

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that song's pretty disturbing considering he beat his wife

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

His wife was counting his beers.

That's why he punched her.

He just went up quite a bit on the ol' being-a-piece-of-poo poo meter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah. Like I know Bretty Myers is a terrible person, but like wow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grozz Nuy posted:

Sabean pretty much has to start wheeling and dealing at this point, because the free agent options at 3b and LF were already underwhelming and now they're really bad.

They might be in on Zobrist if the Rays are still in the kind of giving mood that sends away David Price for junk for Wil Myers for stuff found under the couch cushion.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Grozz Nuy posted:

Unless he's just banking on the idea that he doesn't need to try until next offseason anyway.

He won't have to try then, either. It'll just happen.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

It's tough to say how good a move it was for the Phillies because we don't know ho much of byrds salary they are paying.

we do now, actually: $4mm for this year, none of his option if it vests.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imasalmon posted:

Chris Snyder fractured his left testicle. That's gotta win for the most frightening injury.

Was that your happiest day? :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

euphronius posted:

They could pay all of it and it's still worth it. They aren't going to contend next year. Paying Byrd the full salary to play for a loser is worse than paying his full salary to buy a prospectish person.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

That song is awful and he's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Happy 2015.

• Locked thread