Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010
In this thread we call them "bassets", drat Bismarck lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So first off: This video is not safe for work unless your boss is cool with computer generated banging. Second: this is one of those levels I've mentioned that change how things work a bit. We start the stage off with no weapons and won't see any until later in the second half. I think this is a neat design choice because the game does give you a new tool, the laser cutter. With the cutter we can open up holes in fences and cut chains as needed to advance the level and unlock secret areas. This is sort of the gimmick of the game and it's not a really bad one at all. If nothing else it lets the developers set up some puzzles and side paths which are always an appreciated break from the action. The weirdest thing about the laser cutter is that it's mapped to the 7 key by default, which is just weird for something you use all the time.

Overall, I like this level. We won't see it here but there's this great mix of stealth and action, plenty of opportunity to get familiar with the laser cutter and the environment, despite being probably the most boring location we'll see is kind of interesting. It's like what would happen if Nazi POW camps became industrialized, just all raw concrete and faded paint that looks nondescript on the inside but outside is really neat looking. One of the thing about this game is that it makes every room feel unique and it manages to do that even here, in a place the developers could have very easily just made into repeating cell blocks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Holy gently caress the coffee on the tray at the start of this level.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
"Weder Bestie noch Mensch kann uns etwas anhaben."

Neither beast nor man can touch us.

(Where's an MC Hammer smiley when you need one?)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Super Concrete made out of limestone? Seems a bit silly.
I think I see what you mean by some of the comedy in the game, like German Beatles or Mr.Armsplat landing on the Moon. Though most of those articles are pretty drat accurate to how propaganda is written, which is kinda unnerving. Still, appreciate how they worked to flesh out the post-Nazi world.

So is that laser cutter just worthless for damage? No stealth kills or anything?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
The game doesn't lack for chances to look pretty.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Oops. there's a second one.
"Diese Welt habe ich aus der Asche der Schwäche erbaut."

I built this world from the ashes of weakness.

Note that the game's translation of the soldiers' speech is a little heavy on the "gently caress" (thought this doesn't change the sense of the line much). For example, when soldiers say "Was zum Teufel?" the game subtitles "What the gently caress?" when the direct translation would be "What the devil?"

Also, during that phone call with the commander complaining about Müller, the line that's translated as "Well, gently caress you, Müller" is actually "Lick my rear end" (Lecken Sie mich doch am Arsch), which the equivalent to "Bite me" or "Suck it" in American slang. I can't quite make out the next word or two he says (the time in the video is 15:45 if anyone would like to help me get to the...bottom...of this).

gregory fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 16, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HGH posted:

But you do use limestone in concrete :psyduck:

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

HGH posted:

I think I see what you mean by some of the comedy in the game, like German Beatles or Mr.Armsplat landing on the Moon. Though most of those articles are pretty drat accurate to how propaganda is written, which is kinda unnerving. Still, appreciate how they worked to flesh out the post-Nazi world.

"Armstark" is a literal translation of "Armstrong". The dystopic world they constructed here is really well done, because they took a good bit of the mad plans the Nazis had and mixed it with some of their own ideas, which leaves us with a really nice atmosphere. I also really appreciate how some of the German voices have noticeable regional accents.

Lazyfire posted:

It's like what would happen if Nazi POW camps became industrialized, just all raw concrete and faded paint that looks nondescript on the inside but outside is really neat looking.

Ok, there are a couple of things bothering me about this sentence. First, the system of concentration camps was indeed a de facto industry. The camps were factories of death, which is one of the most perverted thing about them. The only reason for them to exist was to produce death. And please don't put POW camps (Stalag for enlisted and non-commissioned personnel and Oflag for officers) in the same bin as concentration camps and Nazi-Prisons. Stalags and Oflags were not administered by the SS, but by the Wehrmacht, whereas concentration camps were an integral part of the SS rule and therefore administered by them. There is a huge slew of differences resulting from this, so please take note of the fact that a POW camps is not a concentration camp.

Although to be fair, I think we can assume that in 1960s dystopian Nazi-Germany the Wehrmacht doesn’t exist anymore and all state executive structures are part of the SS.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
That huge capitol building/dome in Berlin was an actual planned building at some point,

If you practice a bit, it is possible to sprint and stab guys before they turn around, though I think you need one of the stealth perks to make that doable. Makes taking out lone sentries go much faster. One detail I like is that dual wielding knives gives you a completely different "stab Nazi to death" animation set. Variety is a good thing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HGH posted:

So is that laser cutter just worthless for damage? No stealth kills or anything?

For now

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

bumblingbee posted:

"Armstark" is a literal translation of "Armstrong". The dystopic world they constructed here is really well done, because they took a good bit of the mad plans the Nazis had and mixed it with some of their own ideas, which leaves us with a really nice atmosphere. I also really appreciate how some of the German voices have noticeable regional accents.
I totally misspelled that but that's still a neat detail.

Gorilla Salad posted:

But you do use limestone in concrete :psyduck:

Well yeah, that's why I found it silly but I kinda said it wrong. I didn't think this through and assumed the limestone is what made it "super", like some sorta super limestone. Oops.
There's probably some plot device or something in future articles I guess.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 16, 2014

WolframAlpaca
Nov 14, 2014

gregory posted:

I can't quite make out the next word or two he says (the time in the video is 15:45 if anyone would like to help me get to the...bottom...of this).

The full sentence is "Lecken sie mich doch am Arsch, sie Drecksack!". I guess "Drecksack" can be translated literally as "dirtbag".

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Does Nazi Cougar Hellbitch ever reappear, or is that just an odd setpiece to make you feel (more) uncomfortable?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cryohazard posted:

Does Nazi Cougar Hellbitch ever reappear, or is that just an odd setpiece to make you feel (more) uncomfortable?
Yes.
Should be noted that her little test is about the extent of Nazi psychology understanding.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There is no way the love interest survives to the end. She'll probably gets killed 20 minutes before the end boss fight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Yes.
Should be noted that her little test is about the extent of Nazi psychology understanding.

In other words, yet another way to feel good about yourself by being poo poo to everyone else.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

double nine posted:

There is no way the love interest survives to the end. She'll probably gets killed 20 minutes before the end boss fight.

She survives.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cryohazard posted:

Her boytoy makes me way more uncomfortable than she does, for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
At least BJ is polite enough to flush.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Re. comment about the concentration camps, not all of them were extermination factories, though there were several that were. Others had more specified purposes. Of special note - just in case you were ever thinking that the representation of the Nazais in this game was OTT - is UWZ Lager Lebrechtsdorf– Potulitz, a concentration camp specifically made to benefit from the slave labour of children. Yes, children.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Ah, this game's "forced stealth" level. In any other game it would be terrible, and would be full of "gently caress up and you die" moments. Here, while you're limited in options to just stabbing ever nazi you come across, it doesn't punish you with instant failure, should you get caught, since all of the enemies are limited to melee as well. It's a really nice way of changing things up, but still keeping it fun. Hell, they even set up some interesting stealth kills, like the one at the end of this video

Also, I'm pretty sure that in that very first section, even though you caught the attention of the guards, the commander won't be alerted, since he's goofing off in his office. All the times I've played through that level, I don't think I've ever alerted him

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Actually, there's something that kinda irks me. The weird... stab-offs? Knifing competitions? That seem to happen every so often in melee. It makes sense when you're wrestling off a dog, but with a soldier, with both of you just stabbing at each other, I dunno why I find it odd.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 16, 2014

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

WolframAlpaca posted:

The full sentence is "Lecken sie mich doch am Arsch, sie Drecksack!". I guess "Drecksack" can be translated literally as "dirtbag".

Ah, thanks for that. Yeah, Drecksack would mean dirtbag or scumbag or a similar insult. (Though note, Sie should be capitalized, because lowercase it means "she" or "they"). The best part of this (for Teutophiles, at least) is that the guy complaining and freaking the gently caress out is doing so to a higher-ranking officer, so despite his vulgarity he still uses formal speech (Sie) instead of informal (du) because showing disrespect to their difference in standing is a line you just don't cross, even when telling someone to lick your rear end.

I just wonder why they made the decision to just translate the majority of these insults and mutterings to "gently caress"; the German voice script is much more creative than it's getting credit for.

gregory fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 16, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HGH posted:

Actually, there's something that kinda irks me. The weird... stab-offs? Knifing competitions? That seem to happen every so often in melee. It makes when you're wrestling off a dog, but with a soldier, with both of you just stabbing at each other, I dunno why I find it odd.

Boxing went by the wayside after the eugenics program started encouraging further distillation of the populace.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HGH posted:

The limestone is more then likely meant to be the missing element between modern Concrete and Roman concrete that lasted better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samovar posted:

Re. comment about the concentration camps, not all of them were extermination factories, though there were several that were. Others had more specified purposes. Of special note - just in case you were ever thinking that the representation of the Nazais in this game was OTT - is UWZ Lager Lebrechtsdorf– Potulitz, a concentration camp specifically made to benefit from the slave labour of children. Yes, children.

Whenever you think someone has exaggerated the depravity of the Nazis, you are usually wrong. Similar for the IJA in China.

WolframAlpaca
Nov 14, 2014

gregory posted:

I just wonder why they made the decision to just translate the majority of these insults and mutterings to "gently caress"; the German voice script is much more creative than it's getting credit for.

Yes, I also really appreciate the effort that went into the German voice over. Most of the in-game Germans actually sound like native speakers.
A notable exception is Deathshead. He has some kind of accent I can't really place. I wonder if I'm missing some knowledge of the series which explains this, because otherwise it seems like quite an oversight.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pvt.Scott posted:

That huge capitol building/dome in Berlin was an actual planned building at some point,

The Volkshalle and most of "Germania" as you see it in TNO was based off actual planning documents. The art book has a lot of the blueprints/city designs that heavily influenced what you see in the game.

quote:

Yes, I also really appreciate the effort that went into the German voice over. Most of the in-game Germans actually sound like native speakers.
A notable exception is Deathshead. He has some kind of accent I can't really place. I wonder if I'm missing some knowledge of the series which explains this, because otherwise it seems like quite an oversight.

Indeed, the Germans in this game are native speakers.

Deathshead's German dialogue is provided by Kaspar Eichel, a native Berliner. No, they didn't make Schultz say all the German. :v: Frau Engel's actress, Nina Franosek, is also a native Berliner.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 16, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Engel and Bubi are the best. I want a spin-off adventure game where they solve puzzles together.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Her boytoy makes me way more uncomfortable than she does, for some reason.

Yeah me too. Engel is just clearly evil and menacing, but Bubi is one hell of a creepy bastard.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yes, it was dubbed the "Volkshalle," and it was to be the centerpiece of the new world-capital Berlin that Hitler and Speer were planning to build after the war. If you fire "welthauptstadt Germania" into Google you can see a whole bunch of pictures of the architectural models for the downtown core, which TNO replicates pretty accurately in that matte painting.

Personally, I think there's a sort of irony seeing this city rendered in a video game. After the war, Speer basically admitted that since Berlin was settled on marshland, the ground would never have been able to support the giant concrete megapolis he and Hitler dreamed up. I suspect that's why "super-concrete" is a thing in TNO, as an in-universe workaround. Though as we will eventually see, the Reich also solved its problem by digging. A lot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Dwight Schultz sounds just like the guy providing the German dialogue for Deathshead.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

HGH posted:

Actually, there's something that kinda irks me. The weird... stab-offs? Knifing competitions? That seem to happen every so often in melee. It makes sense when you're wrestling off a dog, but with a soldier, with both of you just stabbing at each other, I dunno why I find it odd.

That's my favourite one. It's like BJ and the Nazi are having a slapfight. With knives.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

KozmoNaut posted:

Ron Mael, too.

And then he changed his style to be even more evil nazi-like.

It's kind of difficult to see as he's so fair-haired, but everyone's least favourite Nazi gerontophile is, indeed, sporting the Ron Mael Mark 2.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The creeper-stache being so subtle is what really sells Bubi's character design for me. I know that's not his actual name, but I'm pretty sure he's listed as Bubi in the credits.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

HGH posted:

I thought the Nazis here had batons.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pvt.Scott posted:

The creeper-stache being so subtle is what really sells Bubi's character design for me. I know that's not his actual name, but I'm pretty sure he's listed as Bubi in the credits.

His actual name is listed in the artbook, I'll look it up when I get home.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
That perspective thing in the train part really weirded me out. Suddenly Bubi is way bigger than Engel, and then he's not. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

IronSaber posted:

That perspective thing in the train part really weirded me out. Suddenly Bubi is way bigger than Engel, and then he's not. :stonk:

He's a grower, not a shower.

• Locked thread