Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Yes.
Should be noted that her little test is about the extent of Nazi psychology understanding.

In other words, yet another way to feel good about yourself by being poo poo to everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Dwight Schultz sounds just like the guy providing the German dialogue for Deathshead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, and the Totenkopf division sounds straight out of this game.

Hold onto this thought for later.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I initially thought the weapon loadout in this game was a bit too sparse until I realized that half of the weapon altmodes are meant to replace other weapons being in your inventory. So all your weapons basically do double-duty.

...I still think this game's laser equivalents aren't quite as awesome as the last Wolfenstein's ghostbuster gun, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Super Bunnyhop did a review of this game where it mentioned it plays camp elements for horror: robo-nazis are just a new level of disturbing rather than ridiculous like they could or should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2o51re49k

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Either those robots are nuclear or they run off of some other unknown power source. In Wolfenstein 2009 their weird machines all ran off of energy sucked out of the Veil, but here we don't have any magic (or cross-dimensional stuff, as the case may be).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...oh, no WONDER I like this game, it was put together by the team that made The Darkness!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Set sure has a lot of fine control over a robot he's remote-controlling with a joystick behind his back. I'm impressed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think BJ himself is immune to knives or something. They seem to do jack to him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

What's a piece of shrapnel lodged in your head but a permanent armor pickup?

This, I'm going with this explanation.

I'm shocked at how utterly detailed the home base of the Resistance is. Starbreeze went all out when they made it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, what is the supernatural but what science cannot yet explain? Perhaps Set is correct: it's not "supernatural", merely science that has not been explored by contemporary scientists yet.

I mean, even real world science starts to operate in ways that it "shouldn't" when you look to closely (read: quantum mechanics). What's to say that there truly is no supernatural, merely incomplete knowledge of the universe?

True enough. There's just a lot less "glowing green poo poo" parascience going on in this one.

...and this just reminds me of how many eerie parallels the Captain America: First Avenger movie had to Wolfenstein 2009.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neruz posted:

To be fair the Black Sun stuff could just as easily have been interdimensional aliens as it could have been magic :colbert:

Sufficiently analyzed black magic is indistinguishable from mad science.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I won't defend them that.

Then again, basically everybody who handed the chancellorship over to Hitler thought they could control him. Very few people realized the whole country would go completely off the rails like it did, and most were just all "what can I get out of this?"

...kind of like the mob hiring the Joker in The Dark Knight, if they'd known they were opening that big a box of crazy they wouldn't have touched it.

Speaking of which, where is hitler in this game? Dead? Is Dethhead the new leader? The resistance sure treats him like the de facto leader of the Nazi empire.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night10194 posted:

To bring it back to Wolfenstein, this is why I love the Da'at Yichud plot element. Because it avoids worshiping Nazi engineering and suggesting the Nazis could win the war on their own; they stole their poo poo and they're just as crazy and inefficient as ever.

Oh, absolutely. Actually that's a plot device I like in general for bad guys with superweapons. If they were smart enough to build that poo poo on their own they might not have needed to resort to supervillainy in the first place.

So, was Set introducing mold into the concrete as it was being made, or did he sabotage the basic concrete formula in general? Because if it's the latter, I forsee a sequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order called "The Crumbling Reich" or something where massive concrete supercities are now shattering like stale cookies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, these Nazis aren't just evil, they're childishly evil.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Victis posted:

Man they made Anya kind of eye-rollingly hyper-competent huh? I like the way that BJ is characterized as a traumatized deeply flawed dude with no real coping skills beyond killing Nazis, but Anya kind of makes me groan.

Caring nurse, near-doctorate in archaeology (double major in concrete chemistry), able to decrypt Nazi messages, distracts and evades nazi guards, and also makes time to be a good girlfriend :3:

Keep watching, she gets better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Also, all these characters are, you know, hypercompetent action hero types. Set survived a concentration camp for over 10 years and is a superscientist, Caroline has been a resistance leader for more than a decade, Fergus is a crack pilot who is also a super badass commando with witty dialogue and acting, etc. Everyone is really loving good at everything they do.

I'd love to know what the hell Tekla actually does around the base other than be twitchy and do calculations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a character or two I can think of that I'd like to play in a sequel to Wolfenstein New Order, but we'll have to see more updates before I can say who or why.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's extremely weak early-game, but extremely powerful late-game, IF you remember to pick up all the upgrades for it along the way. So that influenced my opinion of it initially too. At first it was just a bigger, less-efficient laser cutter instead of a weapon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thunderbro posted:

Da'at Yichud tech. :colbert:

This is a reasonable explanation. It's a Da'at Yichud device and integrates with that kind of technology.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even better, the sniper rifle apparently undergoes no transformation to become a laser gun. You just flip the scope over to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He meant in the game.

• Locked thread