Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

gregory posted:

he is first-generation American, if I remember, and although the early 1900s were an era of "WE ARE AMERICAN NOW WE ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH", his parents probably still spoke enough Polish at home that he picked it up.

Reminds me of a story of my grandpa who fought in WWII. Apparently his parents spoke German at home, but then at his first day of school, when they asked him what he learned, he told them nothing because he couldn't understand anything anyone was saying. So they switched to speaking English-only.

Unrelated, I'm reading an article listing a bunch of games that should have been great but weren't, stuff like Haze and Lair. Number 3 on the list is Duke Nukem Forever, and the article suggests picking up TNO instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It should say a lot about the Nazis that they saw 'Hey even our craziest guys are having a hard time doing the things we tell them to do' as a problem to be solved by the simple expedient of granting some more psychological distance, rather than 'So maybe these are not good things.'

WirelessPillow posted:

More than likely they knew it wasn't a good thing, but thought that is was good for the unification of the rest of the people. For the greater good mentality if you will.

I'd guess it's more that Hitler just didn't give a gently caress, the guy was pretty much completely off his rocker the entire war.

Keep in mind, he was abjectly opposed to using chemical weapons against the soldiers or citizens of opposing nations because, even if most of his war record from WWI was forged, he did at least see first-hand the effects it had on people - and then he turned right around and had the concentration camps using them to execute their prisoners, because he didn't view them as human beings. It'd be far from the only weird or stupid decision he made during the war.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

There's also the fact that these struggles don't necessarily pick the best guy and the constant fighting is incredibly destructive. Constant infighting selects for certain traits and picks the best infighter or toady, not the best general or scientist.

I think I already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but that was the exact sort of thing that screwed over the Nazi's attempts to make nuclear weapons.

See, they didn't just have one program, like the Manhattan Project. They had nine of the fuckers running all at once. They were all completely unable to actually create bombs for two reasons: one, the "survival of the fittest" attitude Hitler wanted them all to have meant they spent more time actively sabotaging each other than they did actually finding out how to make bombs, and even if they could focus on doing their jobs there wouldn't have been enough resources between them all to do it right. Two, they weren't allowed to work with ideas that actually made the Manhattan Project successful because those ideas had some association with Jewish scientists, thus the Nazis had decided they were "tainted" and forced the programs to constrain themselves to ideologically-correct "German physics".

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

I see no use for the ricochet because ricochets are ALWAYS terrible in videogames unless you fire a thousand of 'em in one room (see TimeSplitters' Sci-Fi Pistol for absolute poo poo-tastic ricochet weaponry)

I think the only weapon with ricocheting projectiles I've used and actually liked was Unreal Tournament's Ripper, and even then that's because it had more going for it than just ricocheting projectiles - if you didn't have the time or patience to set a trap with buzzsaw blades that would all despawn in ten seconds anyway, you could always fire ones that loving exploded on contact instead, or go for a neck-shot and decapitate a guy for an instant kill. Such a shame that that weapon never returned but the BioRifle, whose entire gimmick was setting traps but was terrible at it, got to show up in every game even as they added a spider-mine launcher that completely obsoleted it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Would you enjoy a game where you had nothing but grenades and grenade launchers and rocket launchers and the entire game was about repainting everywhere you go with the innards of nazis?

Because that would be awesome.

Nebiros posted:

Have you seen Rise of the Triad's remake? That's most of it's gimmick.

While it's missing the Nazi bit it's also possible in Far Cry 2. There's three weapon slots, not counting your machete, and you can have some form of grenade launcher (40mm or rocket-propelled) in all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Neruz posted:

The Italian military in WW2 was basically a complete joke and afaik nobody took them seriously because they had nothing serious to take.

I literally know exactly one thing about the Italian contribution to the war.

And that, ironically, was a contribution in favor of the Allies - the British got several million rounds of 9mm Para from them when they surrendered in '41.

• Locked thread