Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

So any idea about what their forthcoming Star Wars episode could be on? If they have done the Ewok movies and the Xmas special is a TV variety show, what could be eligible? SW2 or SW3 or perhaps a cartoon for animation damnation? (I presume there was a cartoon. I don't follow SW.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Nomination for best use of audio clip: that "Talking Heads" style song from Babycakes. You cannot believe David Byrne didn't sue over that. If you haven't heard the Babycakes episode, you must. The righteous anger is something to behold and it sounds a justified reaction.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I've noticed something odd about the oldest player on the WHM site.

For the first 100 episodes or so they have a standalone player which opens as a black window, later episodes open page with embedded players. For those middle ones (100-150, roughly?) there is no slider, which is a bummer. Anyhow, for those early episodes the player cuts out at some point between minute 5 and 6, absolutely without fail. Why does that happen? Does anyone else get that? It isn't really a problem, more a glitch. I just refresh the window and move the slider to 4'30" and let it play out because it never glitches again between minutes 5 and 6. Periodically I get the same - maybe once or twice - later on in those early episodes, again cured the same way.

It is definitely a glitch with the player. It's weird it always happens at the same place in every episode, never on a replay, and never with their other players. Any ideas? :shrug:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

Have I missed the call-in window? I want to suggest some animated....things.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Animation Damnation is always open to recommendations but only via email. If you want an animated feature then that would be a call-in. Don't know when the window for that closes.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

nevermind

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Talking of ninjas, I just listened to Gymkata (ep. 54). Among other things, I discovered Kevin Sorbo is an actor and not just the name of a terrible poster on SA. You learn something new everyday, I guess.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Marin Karin posted:

He was Hercules in the 90s. I'm surprised you didn't at least vaguely know of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY

Nice clip! :)

I watched relatively little TV for a long time and what I saw was British TV (mixture of UK, US and European stuff), so a lot of stuff which is pop culture/memes on SA is unfamiliar to me....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

Sure but Hercules and Xena were legitimate global phenomena. This is 100% you, not some meme on SA.

Sure but I was at university in the 90s and I and none of my friends had TVs. The university hall of residence shared TV was mainly tuned to the Simpsons, MTV and soap operas. I remember Xena was around - even if I never saw a whole episode. I never heard of Hercules before but I guess it must have been on British TV. :shrug:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Do you think they'd ever do Master of Disguise or is that just too tooth-grindingly frustrating? Is that on their "never do" list?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

User-Friendly posted:

I'm pretty sure they said a couple months ago that it was so bad they'd never do it.

I can't blame them. It looks painfully unfunny. Failed comedies are pretty tough to riff on....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Top three:

1. Nukie
2. Blame it on Rio
3. Vampire in Brooklyn (I love that list of vampire powers, which had to be prepared in advance in detail)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

precision posted:

Chaotic Neutral is the worst thing to come out of D&D bar none. It makes no sense!

Basically it allows a player to crap all over the game because there is no selfish, random, unjustified action that cannot be passed off as "hey, just playing my alignment, guys :shrug: "

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The D&D episode is getting bumped to next week.

:argh: I didn't hate Superman until now!

I wish for the D&D episode they could bring back the one-off intro songs. I want to hear Weezer's "In The Garage": "I've got my 12-sided die, I've got my dungeon master's guide..." :bravo2: Weezer and WHM - two of my favourite things in one bundle.

:histdowns: :cthulhu:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

As soon as the BvS WHM episode is done and forgotten then we can intricate ourselves from replicating the RLM thread. At that point we'll all feel a lot better about ourselves and each other.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Eh, anyone would think it was April Fool's Day.... :rolleye:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would love to listen to a recording of the guys playing D&D for the first time.

I'll third that.

Perhaps the guys need more D&D fibre in their diet: Mazes & Monsters, Skullduggery, Lords of Magick, Dungeonmaster.....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Terrible 1980s' schlock now available on blu-ray? Pray continue, sir. You have my attention...

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Shirec posted:

And adding to my romcom request, a month of Lifetime movies would be so good

Didn't one of the team work for Lifetime? Who was it?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

weekly font posted:

Eric. He's said before he would love to do a Lifetime movies podcast.

Thanks for that.

If any of you haven't listened to ep. 216 (Cyber Seduction) recently, I really recommend it. It's another Lifetime movie. Enough said.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Mr Jaunts posted:

Isn't Babycakes a Lifetime movie too? That's a really old episode but also a really good one

It's definitely a TV movie. I agree. It is a great episode, one of my top 5.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

For fans of Turkploitation insanity, Ed Glaser did a series of short reviews with clips of these movies. Well worth checking out. I can't remember what his website or host was but I guess "ed glaser turkish" in Google will take you there.

As someone who finds the WHM Larry the Cable Guy voice really grating (I mean, so painful I had to cut short the review of that Xmas film featuring LtCG), should I avoid the new episode? It's the only voice they do that I simply can't listen to.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This episode is like, solidly half Larry-voice.

Looks like I'm skipping this one then. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Aside from shows featuring Larry the Cable Guy voices (which is only 2 or 3) which I can't stand (but that's just a personal thing), I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes. That said, I noticed that the episodes covering new movies tend to be less funny. BvS and Entourage spring to mind. I can understand the hatred for Entourage but that episode is like 2 hours long and they have to tell us about character stories from the series - and correct each other because they hadn't seen all the series - and it begins to drag. I think there are only 10 or maximum 15 episodes I wouldn't listen to again. That is a drat great strike rate for 250 episodes. E: Actually, factoring in all the animation damnation, side orders of sleaze (why don't they get mentioned in the thread?), the total must be 300 episodes.

So, episodes on newly released movies generally less funny. Agree/disagree?

Oh, I would say a few of the "topic/event" episodes are skippable for newbies.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 29, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously though, I hope Kenny G gets the help he needs.

Like a PC on which to write his long-rear end fanboy emails?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

For fans of Babycakes, I found the intro song to the episode, which is truly rad! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VnqpYkRJA

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a scene where he cures paralysis with his mere presence, it's great.

Become acquainted with the bizarre film world of Neil Breen and see Neil-Breen-self-insert use a magic stone taken from a dying hobo to cure a child of cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_eSGhRCdgo

There is no emoticon magical enough for this.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

#60 The Skulls not working for me. :(

E: :synpa: (or whatever 100) good job, goons!

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 14, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ror posted:

Link. I really love that episode, everything in that movie is so stupid. Southern gentleman William Petersen is a great impression too.

(Don't forget to not worry about Paul Walker.)

Thanks for the link, Ror. I really like the episodes where the gang can poke fun at the ridiculous realities in the film - rather than the actors, characters or plot. The whole preposterousness of The Skulls' initiations and gifts is a real "how would this even work in reality?" riff.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Corek posted:

Their Lambert doubles as their Lugosi.

Surely it's Werner Herzog's Ladyslap?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if we'll get a Ghostbusters on-screen. Andrew apparently loved it and tweeted about maybe doing one, so

This would only be worth doing if someone else on the team felt contrary and would argue against Andrew. I like the fact that they are on the same wavelength about riffing on bad movies but their on-screens are more discussions and they suffer because there is little/no conflict. Obviously when doing comic riffs you all need to be pulling in the same direction but in a discussion/review you need a conflict of different views.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Listening to Con Air made me realise....the show is better when Andrew is angry?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

A while back I was doing a marathon relisten and was noting Stay Tuneds that have not been done yet. I came up with the following:

My Boyfriend's Back (mentioned ep. 15)
Your Highness (27)
Bicentennial (45)
Lost & Found (51)
Little Rascals (51)
Scream 2 (55)
Daylight (60)

Any others to add? I didn't listen to all the episodes again so I missed a bunch of Stay Tuned.

We should draw up a list and email them, asking them to review these as soon as sandwichly possible.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ror posted:

There's a master list that's kept updated on their reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/WeHateMovies/wiki/reviewed

I think they're aware of it, they just have so many choices for each new episode.

Good. I am glad someone is doing this useless job properly. I rest easy.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

DoombatINC posted:

To maintain balance in the force, alternate episodes of Side Order of Sleaze with episodes of a new show - Once in a Lifetime :allears:

Now that is something I'd sign up for.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So I guess I was one of the rare people to have seen blame it on Rio already? Might be one of my favorite whms.

I saw it when it was broadcast in the 1990s on BBC tv. I guess that was uncut too. Yup.

E: Maybe that was in the late 80s. Can't remember.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Have they done any films with Ronald Reagan before, or is there a tiny chance that this will be the first film on WHM to star a U.S. President?

Seems unlikely they'll do a Reagan. Apart from The Conquerors I think the earliest film they've done was some anti-drug film from the 60s. I think anything earlier than about 1970 means they get into the "yikes, it must have been a different time then" territory. I mean there are internet-critic standards like Song of the South and that 1930s film about a child bride but that's one "wtf were they thinking?" and you can't do 70min of that.

There seem to be areas they've avoided:
a) pre-1970 films
b) unfunny comedies
c) foreign films

I can't see how WHM could tackle them.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They've done tons and tons of unfunny comedies.

In a tiny minority compared to non-comedies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I started a thread for weird, overly detailed spergy fanfic masquerading as plot wiki synopses. This is a prime candidate. I think the thread was archived.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

IMDB crediting fan films and crappy YouTube shows

The work of makers or completist fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just re-listened to that episode, and, boy that movie is horrifying.

Blame It On Rio had (maybe still has) a horribly detailed fanfic "synopsis" in Wikipedia.