Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Does anybody know where Eric's "hhhwhhhhhyyy?" bit comes from, or what it's referencing? I've listened to every episode, many multiple times, and I don't think I've ever heard the origin of it. I think Andrew refers to it as "hamburgering" on one episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

duz posted:

Stand-up comedian Neil Hamburger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNHkmFDBfI

Appreciated.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kind of hope they do Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance some time. Not only is it a baaaaaad movie, but Nicholas Cage and Christopher Lambert share scenes together in what can only be described as a "ham sandwich Thunderdome of acting."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Can I just say, apropos of nothing, that the Camp Nowhere episode is one of my favorites in the WHM library? Cult leader Christopher Lloyd kills me.

WE'RE AT WAR WITH THE TOWN, MUD.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Listening to old episodes, and I came across one of the earliest instances of the gang talking about Gallagher, which in turn has one of my favorite Eric moments. They spend about five minutes riffing about the sledge-o-matic and the giant couch and whatever, and just as they're about to move on to the next subject Eric interjects completely deadpan:

"He is a living nightmare."

Dying.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

kalensc posted:

Which ep was that?

Sorry, but I'm honestly not sure. I've been reworking my way through the back catalog at work, multiple episodes at a time, so it all kind of blurs together. I know they got on Gallagher because they did a tangent about lovely stand up comedy set designs, and I'm pretty sure it predates the WTF interview because they didn't do any of the "I can do [blank], Mark" bits. I'm thinking it was probably a summer rerun of a very early episode.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was it part of the derail about the exec at Netflix whose only job is to come up with godawful titles for standup specials? I loved that bit.

Indeed it was.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Re-listening to the Another 48 Hours episode, and I think it's safe to say I will never sour on their Nick Nolte impression. The bit about him being cast in Batman v Superman gets me every time.

"Aw, here comes Doomsday! Fuckin' third act alien, sure! Let's go!"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Still giving the back catalog a re-listen, and I came across what I think is my single favorite WHM line, which is delivered when Steve talks about seeing Green Lantern for the first time:

"It's one of the single most devastating moments of my life. And I have zero grandparents left."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I was at a movie once and some lady smuggled in a container of something that I can only describe as smelling like "cool ranch diarrhea." Maybe it was chicken wings? The scent just kept hitting me in waves. It was like watching the nuclear dream sequence in Terminator 2 on repeat. But like, as a poo poo-scented 4D experience.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

"What is 'Feds'?"

"It's like if the first eight minutes of 'Silence of the Lambs' was a comedy."

This is a great ep.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Corek posted:

It's possibly the most Cannon of any Cannon movie

Truth. Some might (wrongly) point to Delta Force for that illustrious distinction, but DW3 is the Cannon studio philosophy made material. Like Cobra it's one of those flicks you could believe was actually an 80's action movie parody played on a background television in a more "legitimate" film.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

When I went to see 300 in theaters there was a dude sitting in the row directly in front of me, and I have never seen someone run so hot-and-cold on a movie in my entire life. 90% of the time he would be sitting there bored out of his mind, slumped in his chair with his cheek in his palm. But every time - and I mean every time - the movie would ramp up and start showing scenes that were featured in the trailer ("Tonight we dine in hell," or whatever), he would lean forward and, like, start headbanging. Long-winded discussions about mortality? Senate shenanigans? He was dead. But the second that fat baby monster with metal crab claws came on screen, my dude Stargated into his very own mosh pit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

300 is a documentary, bravely filmed on the front lines amongst rampaging rhinoceroses and hunchbacks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not about the idea of historical fantasy not being entirely accurate or going into the film expecting accuracy, it's how it was inaccurate, it's the fact that it's fascist racist Defender Against the Eastern Hordes garbage for white kids to fetishize and obviously a lot of those grown up kids still have the soft spot to apologize for it. "It's propaganda!", "What, u were expecting historical accuracy?" "Turn off ur brain broooooo"
Like, the rhinos and poo poo weren't the main issue here

Miiiight be more the whole "let's turn the Ancient Greek ancient Persian battle into a white race-swarthy race divide" than the loving fireballs and poo poo

To be clear, I agree with you. I don't know how anybody can defend the movie or the source material as not being racist when you have the whole "fade to black, leaving only the Persian emissary's eyes visible" scene transition. In that moment the ethnicity of the villains, as presented in the film, is explicitly made text.

(Never mind Frank Miller's body of work as a whole as evidence)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Count Chocula posted:

Once Upon A Time In China has good evil Brits.

Australia has a multicultural broadcaster that shows a ton of great Asian action movies, and even I can recognize that some of the Chinese blockbusters are political propaganda. Lots of shots of the perfect Emperor and his perfect armies. They're fun to watch but they're probably problematic? Almost all of them are better than 300.

I guess the most mainstream ones for a Western audience lately are The Great Wall, John Woo's Red Cliff, or the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies? I dunno, there's probably a thread for them.

I'm pretty sure out of the three you mentioned only The Great Wall got a wide release in the US. Red Cliff and Ip Man 3 both hit my neighborhood mom and pop theater, though. I guess maybe Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2? I wouldn't be surprised if that actually got more eyes on it than The Great Wall just by virtue of being available on Netflix.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

There's an industry story that's been around for awhile that claims James Cameron had written a script for an Alien "reboot" after Alien: Ressurrection, and had been in contact with Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott to star and direct, respectively. As it goes, Fox went with AVP instead, and nothing more came of the project. If the story is true, it's kind of mind blowing to think that the winds blew that way. I'm not a big fan of Prometheus, but most of my issues stem from the script. I can only wonder what would have shaken out if that team had gotten together.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

New Mailbag is up. The Eric 7/11 story is worth the price of admission alone.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah, the reintroduction of Coyote Trickster God Chris Cabin as a regular commentator has really pushed the show to another level.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

First Tranformers episode is up. It's, unsurprisingly, pretty great.

"Don Rumsfeld was eaten by a Jeep."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gyges posted:

4 is the one where Marky Mark schools the world on Romeo and Juliette laws while shilling for Budweiser.

It's also the movie where a race car driver in Texas keeps a fridge full of Chinese Red Bull because shame? What shame?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Transformers is unique in that amongst major franchise adaptions, it's gotta be the most far removed from the source material at this point, right? Like yes, Decepticons and Autobots and Cybertron are all there, but the actual depiction of those elements is fairly off-model. It feels like the movies are very much their own thing, distanced away from the core franchise beyond brand necessity and marketing tie-ins.

They go to robot heaven

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

"Are you surprised this is stupid?"

Eric, summing up the Transformers franchise succinctly.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I just read io9's review for the new movie, and apparently the secret sect of humans that has been working with the Transformers throughout history is called the Witwiccans. As in Sam Witwicky... Wiccans

Holy poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Eric had to record the episode on his phone?

That's gotta be part of it. They've made huge leaps and bounds in their live recordings from the old days. The Howard The Duck episode was pristine. I'm thinking the club didn't have the audio setup they needed, and maybe didn't cop to it until it was too late to find a better venue.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well they can't very well do an episode on Jason Lives, because what's the point of critiquing a perfect film?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It's also the most Canadian version of space ever put to film.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I literally just watched Part 7 a few weeks ago. The F13 Game has definitely fired up my interest in the series again. I even re listened to their ranking episode recently.

I feel like they need to play the game or at least watch some of it. As huge fans of the series (Andrew especially) they just have to. I disagree with them stroingly about Jason's design in part 7. I think it's one of the best looks he's ever had.

Yeah, I actually think that New Blood Jason is the raddest design he's had in any of the movies. The chain around the neck, exposed bones, and half-destroyed hockey mask really form a visual distinction beyond just "big dude in goalie equipment." The Part 8 design was a huge step backwards in comparison.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

Does anyone else feel like Chris and Eric have the weakest chemistry of the crew? I can't think of any times they really bounced off of each other to make a good joke. It's not even just a Cabin or an Eric thing either, 'cause Cabin has great chemistry with Steve and Eric works off Andrew really well.

Somebody on here once compared Eric to Norm Macdonald, and it's very apt. He bring a kind of outsider humor to the podcast, but it only works when its outsider. Both Eric and Chris have that vibe, so it leaves little to mine because their dry weirdness is the punchline.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

I'm pretty sure 2 made them struggle to maintain the will to live. Hell, Chris hasn't been spotted since...

...has anyone checked on Chris?

Crabin was the only one smart enough to look at the three more movies that were waiting ahead, and instead opt for the sweet release of death.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gyges posted:

You'll have to wait untill next week to hear WHM's hour of robot noises podcast. RedLetterMedia has only been making great videos about Age of Extinction.

RLM's approach to Transformers is great because for any other franchise it would be a cheap, one-note joke, which makes it specifically perfect for Transformers.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

I did look up TJ Miller's death based on their "recommendation" and it actually surpasses the hype, it's incredible.

It's a loving bonkers death in a movie franchise that has never had that level of graphic (human) violence before. My natural reaction upon first seeing it was disbelieving laughter/"whaaaaaaaaaat"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Being turned into skeletons has also kind of been seen before in stuff like Spider-Man and Mars Attacks. It's shocking but not as viscerally so as what happens to Miller in Age Of Extinction. The carbon bomb - or whatever it is - pushes his death pretty close to body horror. And it's pretty telling from an editing standpoint: you get a quick mid shot of him, and then a wide shot. It feels like it's lacking a tighter close up after Marky Mark notices the body. I have to imagine that's because even the MPAA was like, "Jesus Christ Michael Bay, no."

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

AlliedBiscuit posted:

That was the precise moment I fell in love with this show.

I also love how the impressions are solidly Andrew and Steve. Eric and Chris' impressions are lovably awful, except for Eric's weirdly great Trump voice.

My favorite recurring character is Jesse Ventura. "Did I tell you about the time Bill Goldberg and I uncovered that Illuminati plot?"

The Ventura impression is what got me on board. The Abraxas episode is one of the first I listened to and I've been hooked ever since.

"I'm just counting all of these tens."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I was in my early twenties when Spider-Man 3 came out, and my roommate and I went to see it at a midnight showing. It was an odd experience; we were both film and comic book nerds, and had loved the first two entries in Raimi's trilogy. But as the third movie stretched on, it became more and more obvious that something was seriously off. Like, on a fundamental level. We got out around two-thirty in the morning, but it felt like we had been in that theater for loving days. And I'll tell you this; I went to a lot of midnight showings in my younger days, and that was by far one of the quietest crowds I've ever seen shamble back to their cars.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

This is why people don't like performance art.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lord help us if Walberg and Belushi ever do movie together.

Mark Whalberg and Jim Belushi are

Scum Cops

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

There it is.

edit: Though your username would work, too.

Two cops.

One car.

No fat chicks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

enigmahfc posted:

Wilford Brimley would be the Commissioner who is always pissed off, but it's the government he's pissed at.

"We've got sixty million dollars worth of gold that's gone missing, and thirty-six hours to get it back. Y'all better cover this city with a fine-toothed comb to find it. But stay off my ranch. You'll find gold buried there, but it ain't yours or Uncle Sam's, gawd demmit. I got that gold the honest, old fashioned way.

By robbing the Nazis."

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

7c Nickel posted:

I've seen this recommended in a couple of places so I decided to listened to a few episodes. I honestly kind of hate the hosts now. They seem to devout no attention span or intellectual patience to anything they watch, but also somehow manage to be condescending and dismissive for anything they don't already know. Just unpleasant, negative jackasses.

Any movie buff worth their salt is inherently an unpleasant, negative jackass. Goes with the territory