Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Thank you so much! Have a gigantic post with my favorites from the old thread. We'll start with the Original Character Do Not Steal in your avatar:

We'll finish with the Ultimate Original The Character:

Moonfeather posted:

I must stress these are all diferent forms of the same soul, me. They all reprisent me, and are not characters or fursonas unless otherwise stated. the 'Anthro' form is moreso a Fursona. Also known as Mooner.

Extra info:
Arabian horse X Kings cheetah X Shriek X maned wolf

No one..not even I..know what the bucket Shriek is..she is a species unto herself, and just..is. Kinda like a velociraptor as if it were a mammel with lotsa horns and spikes...a further form of her is Paranoia...I have a few drawings and paintings of her. My friend drew an artwork with my Paranoia form in it for me. Paranoia is a variation on what species Shriek is...She has lots of back spines and the more upset she gets the longer they grow.

Every reference I've made is compled into this one sweet package, notes included!!!

Quad to anthro to mixes
From equine to cheetah to anthro to shriek to were to mixed.
Different horns to different colourings and markings
Different eyes to different ears.

This is the whole shebang sistah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I love how all the cheetahs are king cheetahs, that makes them that much more ~*special*~.

Also, thank goodness maniraptorans were far weirder and cooler than those draconic monstrosities

E: also thanks, always wondered where sweeperbravo's av came from.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone have the link to the furry who had the GBS thread about speaking like a retarded british child on christmas? His deviant art was full of some pretty funny airbrushed poo poo.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Theres a reason Tumblr and Deviantart have so much overlap, they looooooooove being special. Those sparkledogs are a good example of everybody trying to be so special and unique that they start to blend into an indistinguishable mass of colors and shapes.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Have you all seen the wonders of DA "adoptables"?

I'm not entirely sure what anyone does with these but I think the basic concept is someone designs a character and other users purchase it meaning they get the right(?) to draw/use that design as their own. The truth of it is that most of them are recolored copy/pasted pieces of poo poo with designs so generic if you saw one you actually did like no one could prove you stole it.

All of these are for sale for DA points or art trades.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

How to make an original character:

1. Draw sparkledog
2. Chop its head off
3. Wait for the praise to roll in

On another note, character references are practically ubiquitous on deviantart. They're pale imitations of character references used by professional animators and modelers. These references help the artists keep a character looking consistent by providing guides such as closeups of detailed bits, height comparisons, multiple angles, diagrams demonstrating how moving parts move, brief notes on the figure, and so on. Here's an example of a professionally-made one.

The vast majority of character references found on deviantart aren't made for this purpose: amateurs are simply imitating professionals and other popular artists without thinking about the how or why.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bismuth posted:

Have you all seen the wonders of DA "adoptables"?

I'm not entirely sure what anyone does with these but I think the basic concept is someone designs a character and other users purchase it meaning they get the right(?) to draw/use that design as their own. The truth of it is that most of them are recolored copy/pasted pieces of poo poo with designs so generic if you saw one you actually did like no one could prove you stole it.
The whole process confuses me. I've seen it done by actually quite talented artists on Tumblr too, and they sell like hotcakes. Is it really that hard to come up with the idea of a rottweiler in slacks and a hat? Really?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Nanomashoes posted:

Anyone have the link to the furry who had the GBS thread about speaking like a retarded british child on christmas? His deviant art was full of some pretty funny airbrushed poo poo.

Wetlegs6? It's in the goldmine: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3045867&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm not sure if his deviantART is SFW, IIRC it was a load of his teenage friends photoshopped to have furry features. They were clothed and all but it was clearly a fetish thing.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I've wanted for a while to change my avatar to something different, but then I look at the cheerful yawny do not steal smile and feel it just represents the person I want to be :3:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nanomashoes posted:

Stottie Kyek posted:

Wetlegs6? It's in the goldmine: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3045867&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm not sure if his deviantART is SFW, IIRC it was a load of his teenage friends photoshopped to have furry features. They were clothed and all but it was clearly a fetish thing.

Nah, I think they're thinking of this fiasco. All of the images were hosted here

Along with this

edit: and this:

Yep. Theglavwen thought it'd be a good idea to post stuff linking his account to this DeviantArt account (I think it's his wife's, but still yikes dude)

Mx. has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Dec 28, 2014

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

MissEchelon posted:

Nah, I think they're thinking of this fiasco. All of the images were hosted here

Along with this

Yep. Theglavwen thought it'd be a good idea to post stuff linking his account to this DeviantArt account (I think it's his wife's, but still yikes dude)

Yeah, this is it.

loving hell, this one gets me every time

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MissEchelon posted:

Along with this

The back leg on the 2nd one makes no sense. What is her hip/spine doing to put the thigh there?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
~*presenting*~

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
That guy wants to gently caress animals

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bismuth posted:

That guy wants to gently caress animals

Look at the pot calling the cattle kettle black :smug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What is this poo poo?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

FutonForensic posted:

Look at the pot calling the cattle kettle black :smug:

That is clearly a cute girl wearing a costume

Here, have some Deviantart fun

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rahonavis posted:

We'll finish with the Ultimate Original The Character:

Wings: Fey + Angel

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

How about some SPARKLEDOGS?!

Here's Sammy, s/he looks pretty darn sparkly to me! :neckbeard:

Look at this badass, he's so ruff and tumble.

I'm pretty sure this is a parody but my eyes hurt from staring at it too long. It's still terrible and crazy, thus it goes here. If you want to subject yourself to reading that and determine if it's a good parody or not, be my guest.

Every version of this thread is my favorite.

Especially seeing your avatar, sweeperbravo. It takes me back to the last version of this thread, and just the phrase "gums are also green" sets me off laughing. Don't ever change it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Techno Remix posted:

How about some SPARKLEDOGS?!

Here's Sammy, s/he looks pretty darn sparkly to me! :neckbeard:

Look at this badass, he's so ruff and tumble.

I'm pretty sure this is a parody but my eyes hurt from staring at it too long. It's still terrible and crazy, thus it goes here. If you want to subject yourself to reading that and determine if it's a good parody or not, be my guest.

Every version of this thread is my favorite.

Especially seeing your avatar, sweeperbravo. It takes me back to the last version of this thread, and just the phrase "gums are also green" sets me off laughing. Don't ever change it.

The misspelled words and everything make me think that its a parody, but if everything was spelled right there would be nothing about it to indicate it wasnt 100% serious. Is it a poor parody if its completely indistinguishable from the real thing?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

My thoughts, more or less. Even if it's a parody, it's still pretty much every SPARKLEDOG attribute rolled into one eye-bleedingly garish image.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Reverse image searched it: Its a parody

Its genuinely not the worst/most ridiculous sparkledog I've ever seen

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Bismuth posted:

Its genuinely not the worst/most ridiculous sparkledog I've ever seen

Have you already posted worst sparkledog? If not, why not?

I'm incredibly hyped to see what this thing looks like.

sat on my keys! has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Dec 29, 2014

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Ahh, well. I didn't take time to read the DA page it came from because that would involve reading a page from DA.

Please please PLEASE post the outrageous SPARKLEDOG. These things are hilarious to me.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I love this thread, I love DA. I went browsing by new.

Number 3 amused me too much. It's like an offbrand Poochie.

This cat is a bounty hunter who is also bisexual, for your information!

Art

In my years of gawking around on DeviantArt Safaris, I've noticed that the site is like, the amateur foot fetish capital of the internet. So many regular, ugly, flash photos of feet. Loads of boring loving feet. I'm amused that foot fetishists are apparently so easy to please.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

bartlebyshop posted:

Have you already posted worst sparkledog? If not, why not?

I'm incredibly hyped to see what this thing looks like.

I will have to go looking, I havent paid much attention to sparkle dogs for a few years. Maybe someone has produced something truly fantastic to behold.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Either that suit is dangerously tight or he's right to look pleased with himself.

VoidBurger posted:

In my years of gawking around on DeviantArt Safaris, I've noticed that the site is like, the amateur foot fetish capital of the internet. So many regular, ugly, flash photos of feet. Loads of boring loving feet. I'm amused that foot fetishists are apparently so easy to please.

A vast, vast majority of the foot-centric stuff I've seen on DA tend to focus on tickling. Just loads of cartoon characters getting their feet tickled by other cartoon characters. I'll never understand it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bismuth posted:

The misspelled words and everything make me think that its a parody, but if everything was spelled right there would be nothing about it to indicate it wasnt 100% serious. Is it a poor parody if its completely indistinguishable from the real thing?
I think that the syringe through the ear is the linchpin detail here.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I would like to introduce everyone to MudMaiden enjoy

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
You cunts wanted non-parody scene critters? Happy birthday.

Not parodies, some are adoptable (you get to pay to own them!)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bismuth posted:

Reminds me of this particular fetish.
Girls getting stuck to things.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Say Nothing posted:

Reminds me of this particular fetish.
Girls getting stuck to things.

This one creeps me out so much, especially knowing what happens to a lot of animals that get stuck to those things :gonk:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

So you can pay actual real world money to for lovely drawings and then what? You own them but other people can still see them?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

kith_groupie posted:

So you can pay actual real world money to for lovely drawings and then what? You own them but other people can still see them?

yes. and if someone else was to use a similarly colored fox-wolf-kitsune you would know they stole it and could threaten internet lawsuits

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
(c) ShadownChaosforevr

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Bismuth posted:

Holy :lol:, this instantly brought to mind the diaper-fetish dude on here who went to great pains to explain why the quicksand fetish thing really isn't as bad as it sounds. I'm pretty glad I don't remember what the gently caress his name was.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Old Boot posted:

Holy :lol:, this instantly brought to mind the diaper-fetish dude on here who went to great pains to explain why the quicksand fetish thing really isn't as bad as it sounds. I'm pretty glad I don't remember what the gently caress his name was.

dont shmorkshame

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

He's like a partially deflated punching bag weeble

Seriously, that loving side profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis