Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

(I hope nobody minds me making a skin somebody else wrote a skin for.)

Leonard C. Wordsworth, the Ghost

There is a saying that goes something like "lightning never strikes twice". The idea behind this belief that because something is unlikely, it will only happen to you once, if ever. This is a false belief, as the random nature of the world is such that certain things can happen many times over. Perhaps you may find yourself winning enormous amounts of money many times in your life. Or perhaps you may find yourself betrayed by your closest companions several times in your life. Or perhaps in one case, such as my own, you may find yourself in a burning building set on fire by an unknown individual several times in your life and afterlife.

In the city the story of my afterlife is set in, lightning had struck twice. Once it was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, and then again it was ravaged by Hurricane Rita. But that is just a small detail for me, for I was long dead by the time this happened, and as such did not have to worry about survival.

Just under a century ago, I was a young man living a life of wealth and splendor with my parents and many servants in a mansion in the city of New Orleans. I was studious, investigative, and if I do say so myself, quite intelligent and charming. But then one day, my home was set on fire, and I, along with several servants, were burned alive. Horribly, painfully, burned alive, with no hope of escape.

I found myself alone and incorporeal. After the initial shock, which in this situation refers to panicking, crying, and assorted signs of distress and terror, I came to the conclusion that I did not pass on for a reason. So I began investigating the fire. Over time, I began to find evidence that suggested that my parents were alive and had managed to escape before the fire could take them. But whoever had set the fire clearly must have found out themselves, because I would always be too late to the scene. Eventually I did find them them in the basement of a newspaper headquarters. I started demanding answers. I learned that they had been killed by members of a secret society that they had apparently turned down membership of, but before I could learn anything about the society itself or who was in it, we were overwhelmed by figures in ballroom masks and renaissance-era clothing. They murdered my parents and sealed me away in a strange vase, and burned down the building. But by some sort of anti-miracle, the vase was dropped in the escape from the building and survived the fire.

Decades later, someone found the vase and sold it some someone. Then that person kept it as a decoration in a dining room for several more decades until they had to pawn it off to support themselves after the first hurricance. Then in the aftermath of the second hurricane, that pawn shop was broken into by some burglars, and they took the vase alongside several valuables and placed on a shelf in an attic. Eventually, a young woman around my age who thankfully had little regard for being cautious around fragile and valuable objects, accidentally knocked it off the shelf, destroying it and freeing me. After the initial shock, which in this case means getting worried about stepping on presumably ceramic shards and being scared by the rather smart and charming young man who had suddenly appeared in front of her, she asked who I was. I told her my name and that I was a ghost. After sweeping up and hiding the evidence that she had destroyed a valuable vase, we went to the William Faulkner Memorial Public Library, which was giving free lunches to underage youth and we discussed our lives at length. Her name was Nacelys Pavez. She grew up fairly poor, and two hurricanes simply made their situation worse. Her family was collecting and planning on selling stolen goods in hopes of raising money to move out of the city. I agreed to help her if she can take me along with them, as this city is far worse than I remember it being, and quite frankly, I want to start a new afterlife.

I have given up hope of trying to find the secret society after all these years, and have decided to resume my education at the high school Nacelys attends. While there, I hope to learn to accept my fate and to understand this strange new world that I have only been able to observe from the limited confines of a vase.

quote:

Leonard C. Wordsworth, the Ghost
Look: out-of-place, hollow eyes
Origin: A confused death

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Ghost Moves
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
- You gain the delusional condition,
- You can’t speak during this scene,
- You suffer one harm,
- You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Dissipate:
You can walk through walls.

Your Backstory
Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

All right, I think I've got enough. The final slots are going to be:

Megane as Anastaise Lumière, The Fae
thatbastardken as Magdalene DuRousseau, The Ghoul
AdjectiveNoun as Anthony ‘Tony’ Ceprien, The Chosen
slydingdoor as Jamie, The Selkie
Ferrosol as Elizabeth "Lizzie" Anderson, The Hollow
Shogeton as Jeanine Delacroix, The Witch

So, let's start handing out strings.

(Fake Edit: Sorry, Mr Tastee. That looks like a interesting character, but I closed the applications a few days ago. If we need a replacement, you'll be on the short list with the others, though.)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

quote:

I’ve seen Toby swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. I gain a String on them.
He was covered in blood, and guts--not his--like he just butchered a bunch of people. I wonder who hosed with him? But I also don't want to end up like them.

quote:

Jeanine stole my pelt, withholding it from me to make me their errand runner. They said they'll give it back. We each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given me.
She has some way of knowing what's important to people. I thought that was really insightful and great! Turns out people can use understanding for evil.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One thing I learned while I was looking to balance the scales on some folks. It wasn't just racist shitheads and trigger happy cops that are terrorizing us. There's other things. Auntie told me... some thing about them, but I never thought I'd have to learn so quickly.

It started shortly after Auntie died. There was a guy, Gérard. A bit sketchy, but a 'regular parishoner' shall we say. He came looking for aunty, and was pretty shook up when I said she was gone. He was pretty hurt and begged me to help him, because he was pursued by a loa possessing a woman. He asked me for spells of protection, which I gave as far as I could, and gave me a thing she lost in the fight. A silver locket. In it pictures from a married couple. I've tried to follow her trail, with the Loa for guidance. But all I found was a corpse, bones chewed on and strewn about, and a spent and bloodstained bullet. So Magdalena's locket

But it's said when you start searching, you find more than you search for. And someone I... kept an eye on was Jamie. Not because he or she is somewhere in the Quiltbag. If there's anything the loa teach us is that all things have two sides in some way. No, but they were pretty clueless about some things, and rumour is Bernie and them are out at late hours. That ended up having a pretty normal explanation, but I did find out Jamie isn't human. And I have its dolphin's skin hidden somewhere to prove it. It didn't seem very dangerous or aggressive, but that can be just a front. For now, keeping its pelt seems to have cowed it. It asked for a task. I had it look for the creature that had attacked Gérard, and bring me something that belongs to her. I had it sign a a piece of paper with its autograph Some things are bound by promises and if not... I have a way to get to it. And it doesn't even know my power.

And that's not all. You Elizabeth? The girl that lost her memory. Something's off with her. It could be her injuries. I'm not certain of it. But her story doesn't add up.

I've been working with Toby as well. Moslty I'm keeping what I can do from him. I promised not to reveal rituals and things to the uninitiated after all. I would like to tell him more. To work together better but... gotta be a good mambo. In the meantime, I need to make sure to keep an eye on Jamie. I didn't tell him what it is. He might kill it or worse, decide take its side.

I still got something to worry about though. I was... getting some stuff to help me... protect the school... Look, it's not... easy to get something personal. You take something they value, people start looking, and I don't feel like getting expelled or sent to juvie. But people leave behind parts of them. Parts that link to them. And... Look, there's no way to say this that doesn't make this a memory I'm trying to forget very, very hard. Anastasia caught me fishing one of her friends, Cynthia's tampon's out of the girls' bathroom bin. I was pretty sure the rest of my school career was about to become really lovely, but she hasn't told anyone. Why did I want to haev something on Cynthia? Well, she was spending a lot of time looking at Toby, and I was worried she was catching on to what he was doing. Best to have some insurance, just in case. But she was into him.

Also, when I got caught I sort of panicked and tossed it back in. And the rest of the day was mostly spent dreading the horrible rumors starting.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 12, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ferrosol posted:

You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I've been watching Toby, He lost something important to him in the floods in much the same way I did. He's taught me much of how to respond to such losses. Fight back against the world that wronged you and never let them see you bleed.

Ferrosol posted:

Someone’s seen through your invented past, and realized it’s all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

Jeanine Delacroix, I've seen her watching me as if she does not know what to do about me. I think she knows more about me and how I came to lose my memory than I do myself. I've been trying to rebuild my memory from the pathetic fragments that remain and I think I have fooled most people. But I've seen her making eye contact with me with a knowing look on her face.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
(Just to note to avoid confusion - changing my character's name slightly because I prefer 'Toby' to 'Tony'. So he's now Tobias 'Toby' Ceprien, but for the love of god don't call him Tobias)

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monsterslaying
support. Take a String on each.

First off, there's this girl who got it even worse than me, name's Jeanine. My dad got killed by some thing, some monstrous, evil bastard. Her teacher got offed by a racist dickhead, shot dead just like that. I mean she still has her parents, but the way she talks about her 'aunt', she was real important to her. She's as angry as me, just... angry at people, but drat if she doesn't know her poo poo. See, unlike some people, her aunt made sure she knew what she was getting into as soon as possible, so she actually knows what kinds of monsters frequent the city, and hell, she's nice to talk to, if you've got skin as thick as mine.

Second off... man, I don't even know where to start with Jamie. She's weird. Feels like if she got the chance she'd treat me like a fly under a microscope, poking and prodding with endless uncomfortable questions. Don't know if that's an act, or if she's really just that creepy, but all the same, she doesn't hesitate to go on a 'hunt', and hell, she treats it like it's some daily, natural thing, just something people do all the time. I don't get her, man, but I'd be lying if I said she didn't interest me, too.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 9, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

quote:

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.
It's hard movin' to a new school. A lot of my old friends haven't even come back to the fuckin' city yet. So I've been talkin' to everybody here, you know, tryin' to meet people. I dunno, they probably all just think I'm weird. Like they aren't.

quote:

You've captured someone's fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.
Have you met Maggie? I dunno what school she came from but she seems pretty cool. Doesn't take poo poo from anybody, got kind of a vintage style thing goin' on. Though, you know, I gotta admit, it's a little creepy the way she stares at me. Sort of... hungry. Hm. Anyway, I gave her my number and she looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe she doesn't have a cell phone? gently caress me, that's gotta be lovely.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 9, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

So, for highlights.

Liz, it's well known that spirits are violatile and you've been taking cues from Toby. Show us what you learned from him.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 10, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Jeanine, why don't you show us all a bit of your Dark side?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them
2 Strings.

Tobias Ceprian is a very handsome young man, with a passion and intensity that radiates off his skin like the heat of a stove. I don't mind admitting that I am deeply attracted to him. Mama would have a fit. The tongues of society would never stop wagging - "Did you hear? The DuRousseau girl has her heart fluttering for a poor Negro boy! The scandal!" Papa would frown but say nothing, and then weeks later poor Toby would be another luckless worker on some plantation, or another body face down in the river. I don't care. They are all long in their graves, and it is a new world.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Jamie is as far out of place as I am out of time. I am sure of this, because I saw her being borne ashore like Venus rising from the foam. Botticelli neglected to include the mud or the inhuman wailing in his painting for some inexplicable reason. She saw me as well, bursting from my coffin and breaking free of my chains like a latter-day Lazarus. I do not know think either of us understood the significance of what we saw at the time, but she and I are alike in more ways than one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jamie, aren't you cold without your warm pelt on?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Toby will be getting a little Hot under the collar when surrounded by all these girls.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ana, you may want to get to know your dad and stuff, but take it from me: your parents can be more concerned with themselves than you. You should focus on getting to know someone else you don't know yet: yourself. Dark.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Captain Miles doesn't quite cut a respectable figure, what with his perpetually wrinkled suits and white blotches on his already pale skin, Everyone who works for him, though, knows he's about as hardassed as police come. Ruling his precinct with an iron fist, his latest project is finding the thug who was terrorizing the area in the aftermath of the storm.
And he's decided that Toby fits the bill.
Now all he has to do is prove it.
Take Two Strings on Toby
-----------------------------------------

Mr. Lenard is a kind, middle aged man who has long since given up on controlling homeroom, only pushing back against the most obvious challenges to his authority. He views letting them run wild in homeroom as a way to get some of their rebellion out of their system for the day to come.

The only announcement of note is that, at the end of the week, the gym should be repaired enough for the Halloween.

Grab a seat and put an NPC or two next to you.

pre:
         [MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][    ][    ]
2[    ][    ][    ][    ]
3[    ][    ][    ][    ]
4[    ][    ][    ][    ]

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Also, just to make clear who knows what about whom.

Anastasia's fae nature is not known to anyone right now
Magdalene's nature is known to Jaimie, Jeanine has her amulet, got a description of a monster, but doesn't know it's Maggie.
Tobias is assisted in his duties by Jeanette and Jaimie, others don't know of that.
Jamie's nature is known to Jeanine and Magdalena
Elizabeth's nature is not fully known, but Jeanine knows something is up.
Jeanine's skills are known, up to a point, by Tobias and Jamie, though she's very secretive about it all. Anastasia spotted her acquiring tokens.

Did I miss something?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I helped Magdalena figure out how to get around yesterday and ended up touching her hand. And drat, her skin is so cold!

Poor girl. Needs to get some iron in her diet.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie sits in the back corner so she can see everything and learn. Her friend Bernie sits between me and the door, because they watch each other's backs: that's what friends do.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 10, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalena sits at B3. In A3, blocking her view out of the window is Davis Lambreaux, a mildly obese but highly sociable young man with a desire to become a professional chef, and who plays a mediocre but enthusiastic saxophone. Toni Batiste (modern naming conventions drive 'Maggie' up the wall) sit in front of her at B2. She is very soft spoken, and flinches whenever someone moves too quickly near her. Why is she so frightened?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 10, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
[MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][    ][bonn]
2[    ][toni][    ][TOBY]
3[davi][MAGG][    ][raol]
4[JAMI][bern][luke][JEAN]
Toby likes to sit away from the windows - there's nothing good to see out there anyway.

Sitting directly in front of him, Bonnie St. Claire is from an old, old family, the kind that probably owned plantations at one point, and never forgot (or let anyone else forget) that they were once aristocrats. Sadly for Bonnie, her elite, exclusive, white-as-the-driven-snow school is closed, so she has to mingle with the poor and the coloured folks, and she is not shy about expressing her distaste for either.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine sits in D4, a good position to keep an eye on the class, and not get spotted too much herself. She was never an academic wonder, too busy learning other things. Luke Dawson sits next to her on C3, similarly trying to evade teacher attention. In front of her at D2 is Raoul Mendez. he's pretty devoutly catholic, or at least wants to give that impression. Diligent student and never got in any trouble. Seems to dislike all the new folk, rich and poor alike.
pre:
[MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][    ][bonnie]
2[    ][toni][    ][TOBY]
3[davis][MAG][    ][Raou]
4[JAMI][bern][Luke][JEAN]

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

pre:
         [MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][cynt][bonn]
2[    ][toni][LIZY][TOBY]
3[davl][MAGS][benj][raou]
Elizabeth sits in C2 an optimum location for observing her fellow students.

Cythina Jenkins was apparently my friend before the accident. I don't really remember much about her from...before but there is an odd image of the two of us together looking down at a cellphone and giggling about something. She still sits next to me in class and was one of the first people to visit me when I woke up in hospital so it seems likely we did have a close relationship. Currently she seems to be more interested in this or that boy the object of her affection seems to change on a daily basis. For now she sits in front of me in C1

Benjamin Michealson is tall athletic and lily white and apparently made a living supplying certain illegal mind affecting substances to his fellow students in his previous school. According to the school rumor mill his supply was destroyed by the flood and several unpleasant young men are interested in a discussion about payments missed with him. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. Sits behind me in C3

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 10, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

IC thread up

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
         [MrLe]
   A     B     C     D
1[vick][simo][cynt][bonn]
2[ANNA][toni][LIZY][TOBY]
3[davi][MAGS][benj][raou]
Anastaise sat in the front on the class at her old school. Not making that mistake again; she got called on constantly and it was hell. Plus if she ever drifted off the teacher would notice immediately.

One row back is much better; she can kind of hide in the shadow of Vicky, the staggeringly tall Asian girl in A1. Vicky spends all class, every class, drawing feverishly in her notebook, which is great cover.

Sitting next to Vicky is her maybe-sorta boyfriend, Simon. Muscular-looking jock kinda guy, but irritatingly quick at answering questions. They've been fighting recently but Anna doesn't have a clue what about.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix, The Witch
Question 3: How did someone shake off your most powerful hex?

Oh, that'd be Patrick McAllister. So he was helping people evacuate. All official like. And Suzie from 4th street had her mother who couldn't walk properly. Wasn't even far from the evacuation spot. So, dear Patrick decided he'd help grandmother, but only if he got to have his way with her. So yeah... I was kind of figuring this rapist piece of poo poo was gonna be the harshest on. Make him wish he'd never been born.

Choice of Loa wasn't hard. Erzulie Dantor needed only some Griot for the job. Took a while to get something off of him. It involved a laundromat and underwear and I don't want to talk about it. But yeah, the hex was cast, and the guy was going to bleed... through his loving pecker. And sometimes without controlling it. And no doctor would find anything wrong. Oh, and I made that spell nice and good, regularly feeding Erzulie Dantor to make sure he wasn't getting rid of it. I kept an eye on him (but like I learned, never anytime near the casting of the spell) and I saw the guy fall apart.

And then it stopped. The spell broke, and Erzulie Dantor, while not pleased with it, said he was off limits now, and didn't give further explanation. I don't know how he did it, all I know is that that evening, he went into Saint Florian, that really old church. And he stayed there a long time. I don't know what the hell. But I'm keeping an eye on that place. And on Patrick McAllister. I have to wonder what he paid and to whom to break my hex.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Say, a question. as an advance I was thinking of taking a bunch of followers. But rather than belonging to a cover of witches. But rather than other witches it would be loa worshippers who are coming back together and accepting Jeanine as their mambo. Initiated and everything, so they are allowed to know a lot more, and be helpful, but you know, might sometimes have their own ideas of how to do things. Is that a thing that would be okay?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

the ghoul posted:

When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.
I need those teeth marks for research.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shogeton posted:

Say, a question. as an advance I was thinking of taking a bunch of followers. But rather than belonging to a cover of witches. But rather than other witches it would be loa worshippers who are coming back together and accepting Jeanine as their mambo. Initiated and everything, so they are allowed to know a lot more, and be helpful, but you know, might sometimes have their own ideas of how to do things. Is that a thing that would be okay?

Yeah, that's fine. Make sure you read the section on gangs and answer those questions when you pick it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I just posted in the MIA thread that I'll be traveling for the next three weeks. Feel free to put Mags on autopilot/NPC status to keep the game moving if you need to.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Quick heads up. Nown is gonnah ave Toby spend a string on Jamie to lower her Share Pain roll to a 6. He'll post the fluff later, but is at work now, so can't post. Just reposting it here so Cap can keep that into account.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Taking 'a gang of Necromantic Caretakers' as my recent advance.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, that's a wrap on this season!

Thanks for sticking with me while I've been getting my legs under me vis a vis Monsterhearts. I've had a lot of fun, and I hope yall did too.

It'll probably take a bit to get things going, but any thoughts on things you want to see for the next season?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Just keep going as we have been and everything should be fine. I like the direction the stories been going and have no problems with anything on your end. I just wasn't particularly happy with the way I played and wrote Elizabeth and wanted to start afresh with a more social character who could be in the middle of things.

I'll post up my new character some time today. Working on it now.

Aaleyah "Ali" Al-Jalili

I never should've been born. That's not a value judgement it's a fact. See it was in the middle of the war. Not this one, the first one. You remember? there was a Bush in the white house then too. So all the good doctors had been conscripted and sent to the front to patch up our glorious army. So we were left with the third raters the incompetents. My mother went into labour a few months early and with US airstrikes blowing up our infrastructure power at the hospital was none too common. According to mother they said they didn't expect me to survive. According to Dad they didn't expect either of us to survive. But the women in my family are tough and we're both still here. Despite the butchery that hack of a surgeon performed. They called me a miracle a ray of hope in a time of hardship.

I grew up in a country of suffering. One of decadent rulers and poor citizens. One of brutal butchers and innocent victims. One of devout believers and cynical manipulators. But Allah be praised my family survived and while we did not prosper our fate could've been worse as so many others found to their cost. That was our fortune that we survived unscathed. I was old enough to remember when the Americans came again, sheltering in the basement for fear of their bombs. Nervously peeking from the windows as their tanks and men marched past.

At first things were great the tyrant toppled and prosperity was promised to all. Then of course the problems set in. They accused my father, my family of collaborating. There were threats made although I am not supposed to know about that. Evidently someone took them seriously because my Father proposed that we would move to America, to stay with my cousins and my uncle. I was so excited when he said. I had visions of New York, Los Angeles, Washington.

Imagine my disappointment when we arrived in New Orleans. It looked like the same kind of warzone we'd just left. Though this calamity was natural and not man-made I cannot deny my disappointment. Our relatives welcomed us only grudgingly, too many people were crammed into too little space. What little money we had quickly vanished and my father found no work available for the likes of him. Despite his university degree he is reduced to backbreaking labor in the streets to feed his family. It is also the place where I discovered what I really am.

See we could not bring many possessions with us when we fled here so I was forced to rely on the charity of family. Imagine the surprise when I borrowed one of my cousin Amira's tops, she's two years older than me and umm quite a bit bustier. So the top should've fit me like a tent. But that was the weirdest thing it fit perfectly. I happened to glance in a mirror and it wasn't my face looking back it was hers. I nearly fainted dead in shock. I uttered a few American curse words I'm not supposed to know and it came out in her voice. This was beyond weird. I heard Uncle call me by her name and tell me not to use that kind of language. To all outward appearances I was her.

I'm sure you can see the attraction, she had friends, money, a job. I was a foreigner with no friends and no income. I thought no one would notice and the funniest part was even her friends couldn't tell the difference. I had to be careful not to run into the real Amira but through her I could see the real America, the real New Orleans. But whatever my gift is, for indeed that is what it is although whether it is a gift of Allah or Shaitan I cannot say. It is not infallible. See I may have looked and spoke like my cousin but I did not have her memories her knowledge. Imagine my surprise when I was cornered by a strange boy. He knew me, or at least he knew her and he was very affectionate, he kissed me or her or whatever. I've never been kissed like that before. I think he recognised my surprise, my shock because he asked what was wrong. I babbled an excuse and ran for home. I threw off the treacherous clothes. Imagine my horror when I heard Amira's sobbing. I umm "borrowed" her phone and there was a text from that boy, her boyfriend a secret from all her family. Accusing her of dumping him of not being interested in him. She was distraught and confused and it was all my fault. Still even if I cannot use my cousin's clothes with good conscience anymore perhaps I can borrow the clothes of my new classmates. After all, Americans are rich they won't miss one set of clothes and I have so much I want to experience so much I want to learn....

quote:

Name: Aaleyah "Ali" Al-Jalili
Skin: Cuckoo
Look: Knowing Eyes, Eclectic
Origin:Miracle Baby

Stats:
Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Harm:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Experience Points:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

Once you've had sex with someone, add 1 to your rolls for passing as them. (List them here, and also add +1's to your outfit list.)

Darkest Self:

Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. It's time for you, the understudy, to take that place in the spotlight; you portray them so much better than they do. It's time to take them out of the picture, using whatever means necessary. Replace them. You escape your Darkest Self when something they do surprises you, or someone shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Moves:
Feathers

Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below. • On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
-the magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
-the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.

While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. Physical Conditions still stick to you. Anyone who takes Feathers also gets Shredding the Looking Glass.

Shredding the Looking Glass

When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this: "If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic.
Choose one:

-tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up
in the process and take 1 harm,

-or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

Close To The Sun

When someone suspects that you're not who you appear to be, mark experience.

Backstory:

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfits and you each get a String on one another.

Strings:

Outfits:
Anastaises
Jeanines

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 24, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alessandro "Alex" Camillo, the Serpentine

So, where to even begin? We used to be powerful. Long, long ago, back when Sicily was more than just 'oh, that little Italian island', back when it meant something. We weren't kings, but you didn't need to be. Kings get all the poo poo, the real power's with the people who stand behind them, feel me? But one thing after another, and our little family started falling off; dying out, being hunted. So my great great grandfather decided, around the time Garibaldi and his assholes were bringing war across Italy, that we should head over to the New World, plant our feet in fertile ground and establish ourselves as kingmakers there.

Worked, for a while. A long while. New Orleans was our oyster, we got into the Families, and spread our webs wide. It worked - we were below the radar, but had our hands in everything. Up until our oyster got drowned. You know how hard it is to make money in a city that's just suffered a natural disaster of the scale of Katrina? The families were rocked, some even went under. We all suffered. But we're not rats, we don't flee a sinking ship - we help to raise it.

This city might have drowned, but that means there's room for resuscitation, and extraordinary room for growth. And I've been tasked with getting us started, getting us back on the ground. Why me? Because I'm the only guy left in my family who looks human enough to go mingle. It's easy in the modern age for my grandpa, Don Giorgio, to stay at home, running everything through proxies and cellphones, but if we're going to reclaim and expand and rebuild, we need someone who can go out and get things done himself.

quote:

Human Appearance: Lithe, Hypnotic Eyes
True Form: Forked Tongue, Snake Head
Origin: A Family From Old Wealth

Stats: Hot 1 Cold 2 Volatile -1 Dark -1

Moves:
Failing Dynasty

In the age of serpents, your family was
powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a
shadow of their former glory. They want
to regain their web of secret allegiances

Whenever you are convinced to do
the bidding of a family member, carry
1 forward to doing it and that family
member gains a String on you. Whenever
you help your family regain some of their
former glory, mark experience.

Temptation

Your suggestions carry a preternatural
power. When you convince someone
to do something, they carry 1 forward
to doing it, and if they succeed choose
one: mark experience; gain a String on
them.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone,
they become a part of the Failing
Dynasty (and subject to the move’s
mechanics).

Darkest Self:
You aren’t ever going to be the person
that your family wants you to be.

You can’t live with their shame and
insanity any longer. You need to
escape your current identity, go into
hiding, or run the gently caress away. You need
to threaten or hobble anyone who
would try to keep you in these familial
chains. You escape your Darkest Self
when you rejoin your family, or you
shed your past life and integrate
yourself into a new family.

Backstory:
You’ve been watching someone, trying
to learn from them what it means to
be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Your family seeks to control your
every move. The head of your family
gains two Strings on you.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, you two should feel free to do your strings. Also, anyone who picked Toby for a background can pick someone else now.

Also, Jamie can pick someone to have her pelt.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

There's this girl Jeanine really striking black girl who strides around the school like she owns the place. Thing is from what i've seen everyone either respects her or fears her. I wish people would respect or fear me. I noticed during gym class one day that she'd left her locker door open. I couldn't resist. When she realised someone had swiped her clothes she seemed furious and oddly a little scared. But she doesn't seem to have realised it was me. I think it'd be nice to be her when I get the chance.

quote:

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfits and you each get a String on one another.

I'd noticed Anastaise staring at me a few times in class. I didn't think much of it. I mean I'm the new girl and i'm very obviously not from around here so people are bound to stare. That is till she walked in on me "changing" in the girls toilets. Odd thing was she didn't seem that surprised. She said she had a business proposition for me. She'd show me the ropes and help me get to know everyone and in exchange I would pose as her when she had to "go other places" Although I'm still not clear what she meant by that. But what choice do I have it was either go along or let her expose me.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.
Of all the people at the new school I'm attending, Magdalena DuRousseau seems like the least dysfunctional, and most composed, and thus the best study to follow when it comes to socializing with people outside the Family.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.
You don't cross Don Giorgio, if you're part of the Family. His word is law, and his fury is as cold and measured as his blood. I... try to avoid him as much as possible; keeps from getting on his bad side, but now that he's given me this assignment, that's going to be impossible to avoid...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

I'm thinking Ali for this. Since she's from a conservative Muslim family swimming's probably significant and interesting.

slydingdoor posted:

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

I've been avoiding Mags since she tried to gut me, because whenever I see her I want to cry. Her mouthstench on my pelt convinced Beck to ask me to let the help try to clean it, then it went missing...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jamie reminded Mags what love was, and then Mags went and screwed it up in a fit of greed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise Lumiere highlight Ali
Jeanine Delacroix highlight Ana
Aaleyah "Ali" Al-Jalili highlight Jeanine
Jamie Reeves highlight Maggie
Magdalena DuRousseau highlight Jamie and Alex

Season two is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alex please highlight Dark

Jamie please highlight Hot

• Locked thread