Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I love John C. Lilly. His most famous phrase: "In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended."
words to live by. and ecco is a cool game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yesterday I showed my wife what Ecco the Dolphin was, that old Sega Genesis game with the swimming sea life, the chill music and atmosphere known for pretty aesthetics.

...the game that made the level that everyone hated in Sonic as a kid, Labyrinth Zone (because of the constant threat of drowning), a full game. Which ends with you going through autoscrolling levels fighting mini Cthulu's until you get to the last boss, a giant Eldrich horror? That Ecco? :)

Darko fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 14, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So, Jordan Peele's Twlight Zone reboot is out, and naturally a lot of comparisons to Black Mirror are going to be made.

For me, the only thing the reboot did was reaffirm my appreciation for Black Mirror. The reboot has no edge and is shot and edited in a completely boring and uninspired way. While Black Mirror is (mostly) cinematic and distinctly modern, the TZ reboot looks and feels like something from the early 2000's, an early attempt at "prestige TV" before networks really got it. In other words, it feels like Black Mirror, filtered and watered down to be "safe" for network TV, yet it also has lots of forced mature language that adds nothing and is at odds with its otherwise PG presentation.

It's a shame because it would be nice to have Black Mirror without the limited scope of technology-centered stories, and while I am a fan of the original Twilight Zone, every reboot of it has made the mistake of trying to capture the tone and feel of the original, not considering that the original was extremely sharp and satirical for it's time. So a modern version should be sharp and satirical by today's standards (like Black Mirror is), but instead they always seem to be just "going through the motions."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1120419913519239168

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the first episode for the first time. It really aged like fine wine, thanks David Cameron!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So, Jordan Peele's Twlight Zone reboot is out, and naturally a lot of comparisons to Black Mirror are going to be made.

For me, the only thing the reboot did was reaffirm my appreciation for Black Mirror. The reboot has no edge and is shot and edited in a completely boring and uninspired way. While Black Mirror is (mostly) cinematic and distinctly modern, the TZ reboot looks and feels like something from the early 2000's, an early attempt at "prestige TV" before networks really got it. In other words, it feels like Black Mirror, filtered and watered down to be "safe" for network TV, yet it also has lots of forced mature language that adds nothing and is at odds with its otherwise PG presentation.

It's a shame because it would be nice to have Black Mirror without the limited scope of technology-centered stories, and while I am a fan of the original Twilight Zone, every reboot of it has made the mistake of trying to capture the tone and feel of the original, not considering that the original was extremely sharp and satirical for it's time. So a modern version should be sharp and satirical by today's standards (like Black Mirror is), but instead they always seem to be just "going through the motions."

Other than the episodes being way too long, the cinematography and editing are IMO the least of its problems. Mostly I just don't feel that the stories are particularly good or interesting.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVik34nWws
Back with three new episodes on the 5th of June.

I have to admit that I've been kinda writing off the show for the past few seasons, but dammit... the trailer makes it look good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like with Black Mirror, you really get a sense of the show's creators in the stories they tell. There are a lot of repetitive themes and motifs, but I feel like that you really get that these are ideas that Brooker and company are really obsessed with. Over half of the first two seasons is in some way about how mass and social media can cheapen the human experience, whereas digital clones and their personhood became a big focus later on. New Twlight Zone is mostly just a checklist of current events. Both are not as subtle or allegorical as old Twilight Zone, but Black Mirror feels somewhat personal even when it's lovely.

But man, the opening of the new show also makes me appreciate the Black Mirror opening and how it really sells itself as the true heir to OG Twilight Zone. The most famous Twilight Zone opening and The Black Mirror opening. While they seem different, both really build tension in the viewer. They use black voids to make the viewer feel isolated and sound to make them feel anxious. Both openings do a really great job of priming the pump and getting the viewer vulnerable.

The New Twilight Zone opening has motifs from the original, but with a much chiller score and even their vision fo space is very blue and bright. It has no edge to it whereas even some of the weaker old TZ openings at least had some trippy imagery. It honestly looks like it belongs to a reboot of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 15, 2019

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like with Black Mirror, you really get a sense of the show's creators in the stories they tell. There are a lot of repetitive themes and motifs, but I feel like that you really get that these are ideas that Brooker and company are really obsessed with. Over half of the first two seasons is in some way about how mass and social media can cheapen the human experience, whereas digital clones and their personhood became a big focus later on. New Twlight Zone is mostly just a checklist of current events. Both are not as subtle or allegorical as old Twilight Zone, but Black Mirror feels somewhat personal even when it's lovely.

But man, the opening of the new show also makes me appreciate the Black Mirror opening and how it really sells itself as the true heir to OG Twilight Zone. The most famous Twilight Zone opening and The Black Mirror opening. While they seem different, both really build tension in the viewer. They use black voids to make the viewer feel isolated and sound to make them feel anxious. Both openings do a really great job of priming the pump and getting the viewer vulnerable.

The New Twilight Zone opening has motifs from the original, but with a much chiller score and even their vision fo space is very blue and bright. It has no edge to it whereas even some of the weaker old TZ openings at least had some trippy imagery. It honestly looks like it belongs to a reboot of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.
I just watched the second episode of the new Twilight Zone (Nightmare at 30,000 Feet) and it was so bad, it was worse than the worst Black Mirror episode (the one with the robot bees). I did like premiere episode alright though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
2019 Twilight Zone is a sequel to 90's Outer Limits, Black Mirror is a sequel to 80's Twilight Zone.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
They should have released it on the 21st so it could be the longest day of the year and the most depressing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just 3 episodes? Are they breaking up the seasons again, or is that it for another 2 years?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'll keep watching black mirror because there's always one amazing episode but while I thought the concept was cool and terrifying at first I am now extremely bored of cookies, they're kinda played out

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Baron von der Loon posted:

I have to admit that I've been kinda writing off the show for the past few seasons, but dammit... the trailer makes it look good.

I can't tell what the hook is going to be in these episodes yet, except there's one that looks like it's Alexa/Google Home but more evil.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"...but more evil" is the shows modus operandi.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

Lol looks like one of them is literally just a straight up "phones are bad" episode. Hopefully they'll subvert that and end up mocking that attitude.

Astro7x posted:

Just 3 episodes? Are they breaking up the seasons again, or is that it for another 2 years?

I'm guessing Bandersnatch had something to do with it. Either way, quality over quantity I say.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

El Jeffe posted:

Lol looks like one of them is literally just a straight up "phones are bad" episode. Hopefully they'll subvert that and end up mocking that attitude.

I'm guessing Bandersnatch had something to do with it. Either way, quality over quantity I say.

Broker has taken the piss out of the show within episodes before so I’d expect it

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I don't understand Bandersnatch and it was not fun to play with friends

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That song in the trailer is so good and it's hilarious going to the artist's Spotify page and seeing all their songs at ~10k hits and then the trailer one at ~700k.

(it's Lonely Feelings by Love Supreme)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's the same when you look up the band who did the intro for S1 of True Detective, The Handsome Family. The song in the intro has 35 million listens, their other tracks mostly a few hundred thousand

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wafflecopper posted:

It's the same when you look up the band who did the intro for S1 of True Detective, The Handsome Family. The song in the intro has 35 million listens, their other tracks mostly a few hundred thousand

I can't even remember the TD S1 theme, because I was watching The Leftovers around the same time and keep putting that (first season) theme in there. Honestly, it fits :shrug:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can't wait for June 5th. I haven't watched much shows this year but I am absolutely excited for Black Mirror.

Is Bandersnatch worth watching?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ulio posted:

Yeah, if only for the CYOA novelty.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ulio posted:

I had an absolutely wonderful time with it, in that Black Mirror way, and it seems like people's experiences varied so wildly depending on their choices that it really can't be quantified to another person whether they'd enjoy it or not.

But the worst way to experience Bandersnatch is to try to meta game it. Just make the choices you'd make and don't try to game the system on your first watch. You have subsequent playthroughs to get cheeky.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LividLiquid posted:

I had an absolutely wonderful time with it, in that Black Mirror way, and it seems like people's experiences varied so wildly depending on their choices that it really can't be quantified to another person whether they'd enjoy it or not.

But the worst way to experience Bandersnatch is to try to meta game it. Just make the choices you'd make and don't try to game the system on your first watch. You have subsequent playthroughs to get cheeky.

It's also worth noting that there are A LOT of premature endings, and if you get one, it lets you rewind and make a different choice, So you'll end up seeing a lot of the paths without having to watch the whole thing over again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish the interactivity worked with Chromecast :negative: That being said, I'll probably finally get around to watching Bandersnatch sometime, but wow, does it really exemplify just how much my wife and I dislike watching stuff on anything other than our TV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sjs00 posted:

I don't understand Bandersnatch and it was not fun to play with friends

Bandersnatch was interesting. Much like the game he's programming it only has the illusion of freewill, as there is only one ending

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
So the new season is out now?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Bandersnatch was interesting. Much like the game he's programming it only has the illusion of freewill, as there is only one ending
There are more than a couple major endings sprinkled in with all the minor ones that loop you back.

My favorite thing is that when it looped me back, the narrative knew it had looped me back and took that into account. It wasn't just "whoops. Time to load the old save."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

succ posted:

So the new season is out now?
In about five hours?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's out here and striking vipers is beautiful 😭

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just watched the first episode and it's very good.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Black Mirror - I even hosed a polar bear

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Only watched the third one so far, the Miley one.

Of all the film plots they could have adapted, I'd never have called them doing Toy Story.

Between this and Bandersnatch, I'm guessing this is going to be a silly season.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too feels like a Disney channel original movie with swearing. I really thought it might start going somewhere when the plug was pulled, but no, it was a fake out and they played the wacky caper climax straight all the way to the end.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's no wonder Anthony Mackie's character was bored with Tetris Effect, he was playing it with the music off.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Let the first man who wouldn't gently caress chun Li cast the first stone

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I mean, yeah, if a game let me do that, then, sure...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The most unrealistic part of Striking Vipers is the idea that it wouldn't be designed as a sex thing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

High Warlord Zog posted:

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too feels like a Disney channel original movie with swearing. I really thought it might start going somewhere when the plug was pulled, but no, it was a fake out and they played the wacky caper climax straight all the way to the end.

It definitely felt like a Disney channel movie for the edgy teens that used to love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just watched the episode with Andrew Scott in and it was awful