Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean theoretically you can win the lottery, but I think we can all agree that with these box things nobody wins!
Sure they do.

The person selling them wins. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It wasn't just made up marketing it was deliberately twisting a doctor's words. This is also around the time that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" came from. Mostly people just had like some coffee and some toast. Light breakfast, at best; it was just a few calories on your way out the door.

Somebody asked a doctor "so do you consider bacon a hearty food?" Doctor says "yes."

Somebody asks the same doctor "is it better to have a hearty breakfast or no breakfast?" Doctor says "hearty one, obviously."

Marketing goes "doctor says bacon is a healthy breakfast."
Kind of how like '9 out of 10 dentists recommend [toothpaste brand]' ads hide that the dentists effectively said "use any toothpaste, just brush your damned teeth"?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The trick is convincing the higher-ups that they should hire a nerd, and that the nerd's opinion of their ads matters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

joshtothemaxx posted:

This seems like a really idiotic way to market a game that could be fun for all I know. Yes let's attach our name to the presidential candidate with all time levels of toxicity with our demographic.
Don't forget the part where he's actually pretty poo poo at real estate. Being the next Trump is a pretty low bar to aim for there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My first Logitech mouse survived four years of college and all the moves that go along with that, then the right mouse button stopped working. The replacement (a g5) lasted through the fifth year of college (:saddowns:) and is still going strong six years after graduation. I'm a pretty heavy gamer, though not a pro StarCraft player or anything like that. I don't know whether I've been lucky, I'm a gentle clicker, he's an angry clicker, or if maybe the different models vary wildly in quality.

Or maybe he just has different expectations for lifespan of mice.
My Logitech mice have lasted so long that I end up replacing them out of grossness/deformities in the rubber grip instead of actual problems in function. Maybe their gaming mice are built more shoddily, but I'd be surprised if they were. :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Komojo posted:

Bottles of Drano are $7.39 each at Target. Or, if you want to buy two at a time, you can get the :siren:VALUE PACK:siren: for only $14.99! What a great deal!
Wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened. People are so used to the bulk packaging being cheaper that they grab the bigger size without really paying attention to the price. Make the bulk packaging slightly more expensive and few will notice.

Not really a dumb move in marketing so much as preying on people's inattention. :v:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Sep 13, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god my 30 seconds of time! OBAMAAAAAAAAA :argh:

If you want them to face consequences for the audacity of making money on their service you use, don't use their service.
Yes, we'll use all those competitive rival services instead, like

You might as well be saying "if you don't like [local internet monopoly], don't use them." There might technically be other options, but they're impractical for most people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Because people advertising sketchy things need idiots to click on them, and idiots respond to huge and musical and loud.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

We need something like a Steam equivalent for movies, TV, music, books, etc. I haven't pirated a game since Steam became a thing, and it's not because I've got more money, it's just because getting legit copies became the most convenient option. I'm not subscribing to the sixteen billion different TV and movie streaming services I'd need to to get every TV show and movie I want, but if you put everything up on one service that I could just buy the things I want from I'd be all over that.
The problem with Steam for TV is that channels & cable companies poo poo their pants at the idea of one service having almost everything. There's still the various streaming services, but I'd be surprised if they were ever consolidated into one platform.

To pull some speculation out of my rear end, it was probably easier with games because the big players aren't bogged down with miles of distribution deals and copyright formalities, and were already used to their product being something you just go out and buy by itself. Steam was acting more as a digital Gamestop(minus the terrible everything on the consumer end) than as a revolution to how they do business.

dissss posted:

Steam isn't complete for games anyway.
Also this. It has a gigantic library, but there's still a lot of indie games & older games that aren't on Steam.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Imagine being the poor intern who had to type that while pretending they're not dying inside.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Red Bones posted:

The only way I can understand Blue Apron et al existing in the same world as me is if I imagine San Francisco to be some sort of weird alternate future society where everyone orders things from online delivery services for exorbitant prices instead of just walking/driving to a shop.
SF basically has the exact right conditions for stuff like that to crop up and stay afloat - enough people with bad enough work-life balance(or enough blind devotion to Shiny New Tech Things) to consider using it regularly, enough people with the income to afford it, and enough tech nerds to think of it in the first place. Bonus points for anything that only works in the mild Californian climate.

And then they're confused when it doesn't catch on as much in the rest of the country.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

In line with "try to make people remember your product, not its specs" across most pieces of business I've worked on the by far dominant advertising strategy for boosting sales is garish, blunt "here is our product, click to buy it RIGHT NOW" units across all media. Everybody wants to think that beautiful handcrafted, soothing, non-disruptive will work best when, from both a click to buy and last thing seen before buying blunt almost, to steal completely from the Simpsons, super-liminal advertising is what most motivates consumers.

So if you're curious why a lot of digital and mailed ads are hideous, flagrantly product focused, and devoid of much other than "BUY NOW" you have your answer.
I'm guessing it's like spam mail/nigerian scams/etc: Most people won't even give it a look, so you have nothing to lose by screening for the lowest common denominator.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ArtIsResistance posted:

only a goon would have a witty comeback in response to someone saying they'd drink water
*blood is 50% sugar by volume*

"Look at this weirdo who wants plain, flavorless water :smug:"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Andorra posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/15/543707953/applebees-ditches-millennials

Hip and cool millennial marketing kind of reminds me of appealing to kids with skateboarding animals.

quote:

"You see very weak results from people like Ruby Tuesday's, Friday's and Chili's as well," says Joe Pawlak of Technomic, a food service research firm. "Consumers are saying that all these people are offering the same food items, the decors are the same, and also that prices have become very high in these places."
I like how there's no in-article response to this, just crickets.

I wonder if/when we'll see a chain restaurant collapse like the current retail chain/mall collapse. There's no reason we need multiple indistinguishable chain restaurants all serving generic American food.

When the boomers start dying, probably. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Even when I'm visiting my 40s-and-older whitebread midwestern suburbia family(which is The Target Market for bland chain restaurants), we almost always go to local places. Even they have cottoned on to the fact that you get better and/or cheaper food in those places.

Like, the one time we went to a Ruby Tuesday actually stuck out because of that, and we only went there because we had an ancient aunt along for the ride.

Barudak posted:

There are millennials with tons of money and I've sold thm train tours through south east asia that cost upwards of 5k a night to prove it. They are not most millennials, and surprise surprise applebees core demo exists within the Millennial populace where applebees is located: not cities
I talked about this with another friend, noting why anyone our age who goes there does so, and we concluded that Applebees'(and let's be real, a lot of other chains') best move would be to follow the Taco Bell model. Embrace the fact that people only go there for lovely cheap food, and act accordingly.

Unfortunately, it seems like every sit down, fast food, and fast casual chain would rather chase the unicorn of the millennial with money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Few restaurants can hit all of those targets but at least try for one. Instead they take this schizophrenic approach where four wan "heart-healthy" dishes will be buried in the menu next to Lucky-Charms-Crusted Chk'n Dipperz and a rubbery sirloin dinner that costs more than the one at the nearest good local steakhouse.
Now I want a Kitchen Nightmares focused solely on chain restaurants. The part where he tears down their menus for being overly long and unfocused would take most of the episode. :ramsay:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

What's strange is that back when I was in High School, there was a chinese fast food chain called Mr. Chau's that was hugely popular with the local High School and community college crowd. I don't know if they were still around, but the main draw was that they were the cheapest place around. When I see places like Panda Express I wonder who in their early twenties can really afford to go to these types of places regularly (I'm guessing not many, as most of the people at Panda Express tend to be older families these days). I guess it is true that people assume Millenials have much more discretionary spending than they really do. Food quality in many chains is essentially 'economy' but the pricing is far from it, which is absolutely :psyduck: . Especially with the existence of the internet and restaurant apps where people have a lot more tools to find actually good places to eat.
With non-American food in non-diverse areas, sometimes the chains actually can compete on taste.

I've had good chinese food, but it doesn't exist where I live now. Panda Express is unironically the best chinese around here. This is after trying multiple hole in the wall places and places recommended by other people. Sometimes I'll go to the independent places because they're still a lot cheaper for more food, but they're all somehow blander than the chain option. If you want something actually good, you're stuck driving at least 30 minutes. It's as depressing as you'd think. :smith:

On the flip side, we're absolutely drowning in mexican places that serve stuff insanely cheaper and tastier than the poo poo you'd get from a Qdoba or Chipotle, and they're not even that much slower.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aesop Poprock posted:

it's equally dumb to bring the sauce back to every place if that's what they're doing cause Rick and Morty is popular but not like to the extent that probably even 10% of people who eat at McDonalds would get the reference or reason for it
If you didn't know why it was being brought back you probably weren't aware of it at all until news of the fuckup broke(and even then, most sites talking about the fuckup mention Rick and Morty too).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, brain Chemistry is a complex mess of a thing. There is a reason a side-effect of anti-depressants can be suicide - Serotonin isn't a "happy" chemical, it's a "get the drive to go do a thing" chemical, so while it can help you get poo poo done that the depression is stopping you from feeling like doing, if you are having suicidal thoughts already, all it needs is a little extra serotonin to make you actually do it.

May be an over-simplification but I think I got the basics right, if not let me know.
And the reason stimulants help with hyperactivity is that they basically rev up your brain enough to let you have a normal attention span(think of it as an exaggerated version of what coffee does for normal people).

The brain is both beautiful and loving weird.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

E: I would honestly be curious to find out who decided they all need to include “do not take Zadoobie if you are allergic to Zadoobie”, though.
"Caution: Food is hot after cooking it in a 400F oven for 30 minutes."

"Allergy alert: These peanut butter cookies contain peanuts"

"Do not eat this food-scented beauty product."

Warnings have to accomidate the lower common denominator.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Moon Slayer posted:

Data caps on home internet is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. Like, the idea that you could use up your internet for the month is mind boggling to me. What if you work from home or telecommute? Are you just SOL? Do they turn you off completely when you hit that limit?
On top of the throttling, expect a "well, it turns out we have this LOVELY business tier plan(that costs double the normal rate)..." if you call to complain about it & say you need it for work.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some mysterious rich people bought LA Weekly and then fired their staff. Now they’re trying to get free contributions.
https://twitter.com/laweekly/status/936995889578516482

Also it’s spelled Angelenos.
Pretty much every response to that tweet is calling them out on it. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I didn't know Ikea was getting into fancy kitchen appliances.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

nerdz posted:

edit: I'm torn between FAG heater and FAG hydraulic nut

Pronounced "semens".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

It has a zed sound in German.

Like “ZEE‐mens”.
I work with Siemens stuff in healthcare and exactly zero people pronounce it like that. I'm pretty sure silent amusement at it is a rite of passage.

Joey Freshwater posted:

On GA-400 that leads north out of Atlanta there's a city called Cumming, GA. Just off the highway, right before you reach the exit for Cumming, there's a Siemens branded water tower.

So how do you know you've reached Cumming? When you see the Siemens.

Down the street from the water tower there's an intersection with a BJ's Wholesale and a Dick's Sporting goods.

e: it's not the Siemens water tower anymore nooooooo
That's almost as good as the Bong Recreation Area in Wisconsin.

(It's named after a dude. A dude with the unfortunate last name of Bong. Or fortunate, depending on your point of view.)

Joey Freshwater posted:

Crazy thought here but stay with me - it could also be a joke and maybe 53 people didn't actually watch it every day for 18 days.
This is what we hope, but it's still a creepy reminder of the info they could look at and use for twitter jokes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, maybe poison control was a mistake
If there wasn't poison control, they'd go directly to clogging up emergency rooms. :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Steakandchips posted:

Why does your flat not have it's own washing machine?

Do they actually monitor people for using powder?

Use whatever you want, IMO.
If they're using HE machines, they've probably had dumbasses not adjusting the amount of powder and flooding the room with suds(and maybe even damaging the machine if they were extra unlucky).

Most liquid detergents are HE friendly now, but powdered detergents are more of a gamble.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Lone Badger posted:

I didn't realize top-loaders were still a thing. Do people really still use them? Don't they use like twice as much water?
American apartments tend to, presumably because they're cheaper(and the same ones have probably been sitting there since the building was built) and most landlords are skinflints.

Some homeowners still use top loaders, but most of the people I know who own have front-loaders because they're better in basically every way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe it's the magic of Tide, but I've never used a front loader in my life, and my laundry doesn't spontaneously fall apart at the seams, even after 25 years of wearing some things. It's like that can opener derail over in the lifehacks thread: I don't know what y'all are doing wrong. :shrug:
I think it's less of a "your clothes are suddenly ruined" thing, and more the effects of added wear and tear over time. Like how dryers wear your clothes out slightly faster than line drying but aren't going to destroy them in one go.

sweeperbravo posted:

Thinking about people whose apartments I've been to, I feel like most had a dedicated laundry closet that had no special relation to the kitchen or bathroom except I guess pipes (though one place you had to go through the bathroom to get to the laundry cave)
That describes the only apartment I've seen that had in-unit laundry. And in houses, I've usually seen laundry either in the basement or in its own separate weird area(often near but not in the kitchen, or in the landing area near the front door).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

stringball posted:

justification
The justification is that it was better than starving when the food was first invented. People just keep eating putrid fermented fish out of stubborn tradition.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What baffles me most is that after the horrible failure of so many other "X for girls! Just like X except it's pink, dainty, fragile, and more expensive! Tee hee!" things there are still marketers trying that.

Remember those pink pens? Because apparently women were getting burned by the pens of literally every other color or something. I guess black, blue, red, or...you know any color other than pink was somehow inappropriate for women. They were significantly more expensive than regular pens. But they were pink! And for girls!!!!
That reminds me of these TOOLS FOR WOMEN I saw once.

As in, regular old tools like screwdrivers and hammers. Only they had pink handles.

And I'd assume they were crappy tools too, since they needed to market themselves with a lovely gimmick like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

spog posted:

Given a choice, I would prefer to buy pink tools simply because it makes them less likely to be stolen.
See, this and the "easier to find if you drop it" angles are fine. Hell, I could even see a "want to make it easier to find the tool you need in your cluttered toolbox? Buy our brightly colored tools! Available in a range of colors! (including pink)" angle. But noooo, it has to be marketed as FOR WOMEN!, because our dainty fingers will apparently fall off if we grab a regular old black/yellow/red tool.

That's really my biggest gripe with FOR WOMEN! advertising. The normal version is apparently the men's version now, so the lady version is the one with all the pink/lavender/flowers vomited all over it. Same thing with FOR MEN! versions of cleaning supplies and body care products - they can't just have normal soaps and laundry supplies now, they have to be reassured that their dryer sheets are manly dryer sheets for real men who love bacon and football. It's gross and sexist all around.

Another example:

Men can't just have apple hand sanitizer. It has to be studly apple.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But if someone doesn't tell him it's a MAN THING, how will he know it's okay for him to use???

I for one can't believe men couldn't use Kleenix or sunscreen until someone invented the FOR MAN versions.

SiKboy posted:

I agree in principle, but I have known people who by default think of lego (and any other building/construction toy, or in fact toy cars) as a "boy toy". Those people wouldn't buy their daughters lego, but they might buy them "girl lego". Does it make sense? gently caress no. Is it still the case regardless? Yep.
I'm suddenly very grateful my mom's system of toy selection was "would you like it? can we afford it? has it been long enough since your last new toy? ok here have the thing."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The see-through ones were the coolest, and everyone knows that. :colbert:

The Snoo posted:

honestly tho I feel really frustrated when I see people (usually older women) come in to my work with their young son/grandson and tell them to stop touching things that are pink because they're for girls

like if it's anything else they just tell them to put it down but they literally will point out that it's for girls, bc it's pink or it's fake jewelry or it's sparkly

gently caress yall, the kid doesn't have any concept of gendered items yet and they wanna loving touch it, maybe even ask you to buy it because they like it, the gently caress is your problem

all of the poo poo we sell is unnecessarily gendered tho, so
It's double dumb because if you go back a couple hundred years, pink was for boys because it was related to manly red.

Almost as if this stuff is basically arbitrary and touching a certain color won't turn you into the opposite sex? :iiam:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Knormal posted:

Not in a "prove him right" sort of way, just because he's the kind of rear end in a top hat who would be really disturbed by having his son turn out to be gay and could stand to learn a lesson.
Karma like this sounds nice but the reality is probably that your uncle would be an even bigger rear end in a top hat to his son, causing more unnecessary trauma to the kid. :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Last Chance posted:

i can't remember the last time i needed to print something at all, let alone at home
:same: I bought a printer after graduating college, then sold it a year later because I realized I never used it. The rare times I need to print something I can just do it at work.

I'm assuming that changes if someone has kids, though. So many trees killed for homework assignments.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Fun fact: Most racists don't think they're racist because "hey, I'm not a KKK member or Nazi! Those guys are real racists! I'm not like them, so I'm not racist!".

It's how you get, say, John Schnatter scrambling to make excuses for himself by claiming he doesn't really talk that way and he's not racist, promise, just let him clarify his comments a couple dozen times and you'll see. All while pouting over being removed from marketing materials and whatnot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Being Johnny Aztec is a 24/7 bad marketing move.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

I hate purses as the top-level fashion item instead of jewels because purses suck poo poo and I just want to throw them around. also they intentionally made it purses because it doesn't matter if you're fat, they can just make the same garbage with no tailoring or anything. fashion has become a crap.
Don't forget the part where purses are an excuse for women's clothes having either no pockets or tiny useless pockets. Heaven forbid someone be able to fit more than a set of housekeys in there, they might ruin their silouette! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Queen Combat posted:

And like big ones not these jeans pockets that I've discovered are too small to hold even a Kyocera cellphone from 2004, much less an LG V40 from 2018.

WTF women's clothing? And apparently dresses used to have standalone, large pockets back in the day?! Sliding backwards.
But if women's clothes have usable pockets, then the purse industry will collapse! :ohdear: