Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are turning a period of human tragedy into a place for teenagers to call each other fags, you shouldn't be obliged to pretend having any respect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Isn't that 20℅ of the population, what the gently caress? I thought Canadians were all tough lumberjacks or something

Food allergy can also mean "methinks bread makes me bloated".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Anything that gets us past ads for Lootcrate and Squarespace is a positive

I would rather listen to ten ads for an innocent webhosting company than a single fake testimonial for the newest tech-bubbly app-enabled piece of poo poo that allows you to have artisanal toilet paper delivered to your doorsteps.

The best "crates" are the ones filled with crappy third-world industrial candy that sells for 1c a piece.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They sell 6 strawberries for 20 bucks

"legit"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

I remember Greg Proops doing a man-grate ad, then like 5 minutes later doing a manbag beer fake-ad thereby calling them out and making fun of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

The Door Frame posted:

Godiva has 4 for $22, so...

Well, there's no upper limit to how much of a sucker a person can be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Sure, but do you enjoy it? And if you could get away with not doing it and spend that time doing something else, wouldn't you?

A huge part of being a competent cook comes from perusing available ingredients during grocery shopping, and thinking of what could go with what and how, picking various combinations and trying to get the best results out of them. People who rely on glorified Hungry Man dinners (Blue Apron) will never get that element.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beachcomber posted:

This is not me, but in my experience it's just a basic disconnect between knowing what you want and being able to conceptualize the groceries needed to realize it. There's also a very real element of choice overload. There's like 10 kinds of chicken and 20 kinds of sausage.

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
6. Boneless skinless breasts
7. " Thighs
8-14: the above but "organic" or "free range"
15. Frozen boneless skinless breasts
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
18. Unfrozen breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
21. "Party pack" (usually thighs and drums)
22. From the butcher case
23. Premarinated

Those are just off the top of my head. If you have basically not seen food prepared, just that choice can be paralyzing and you don't even have anything else.

Organic distinction has little to do with cooking, and more with ethics / budget, so that's a false choice. Frozen ingredients are the same thing as chilled ingredients, only different in their shelf life. Various variations of breasts are absolutely self-explanatory. Other, niche products are either clearly named to suggest their purpose, or obviously not substitutes. Somebody who is trying to make fried chicken is not going to buy a pound of chicken necks.

If somebody is paralyzed by this "selection", they have not been taught basic life skills and have relied on pre-made food for their entire existence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are supposed to cut the horizontal bar from the second t before you apply the sticker, duh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Google bombing is back, baby!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My Lovely Horse posted:

on the other hand, if you're Segway, that's as good marketing as you could hope for.

Segway? No Way!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Door Frame posted:

But for real, what did United do wrong?

They should just have a cop car waiting for each and every one of their passengers because there's no way to be sure they aren't guilty of something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

United - the monolithic corporate entity - did nothing.

The people who were working for the company called the police, which was in some people's opinion a mistake.

The last thing we should want is for people to be afraid to call the police when a child could potentially be at risk.

Every time I see a child I call the cops, the fire brigade, and the paramedics because there is always an implicit presence of danger. Like the parent could easily shove their child under a passing truck, or a stranger could stab them with an infected needle at any time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's impressive the lengths to which they went in destroying this chair. It appears they made sure to strip off literally all the mechanical and electronic components, leaving only the most vulgar mockery of its original state. It's not just an accident, it's an aggressively deliberate political statement, a work of abstract art.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jul 9, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

All I know about Iceland is that they worship the guys that make the MMO space game. Like the mayor publicly thanks them and they have national holidays about it.

Iceland has the population of a small town. The president of Iceland congratulating the creators of EVE is like the mayor of rear end Creek putting a ribbon on the prize cow of the county.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hi there, I'm Tremendous Prick, and I've invested all my life into POGs, which will never go out of style.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

turnways posted:

Then playing Pokemon GO would be appropriate.

:boom:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

My grave will be a tower of affordable public housing.

Don't worry, they will eventually find you by the smell.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Emoji Tale is like something you would see in an old timey Photoshop Phriday, so it feels weird to get offended by it. It's not even making fun of the original, it's just basic juxtaposition.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I often wonder that if someone came to the US from, say somewhere in the Nordics, and set up a large business but with the philosophy of treating their staff well, whether they would be a huge commercial success.

Like how Google got a reputation as a great place to work because they didn't charge for candy or soda and had foosball tables in the breakrooms.

Volkswwagen famously got run out of some Southern state by the government because they insisted on giving their unionized workers too much of a say.

jojoinnit posted:

So what you're saying is, Ikea itself is a cool and good place to work if you have to work retail but the customers sucked?

Too bad the owner is an actual Nazi supporter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Krispy Kareem posted:

Where was this? Southern states will suck any automaker's dick for opening a plant so I'm surprised to hear they'd force one out.

Looks like I misremember it slightly, in 2014 Geman VW representatives tried to get their Tennessee plant to unionize, citing it as a requirement for further expansion in the US, but the workers were persuaded by anti-labour organizations with government ties not to enroll into unions, which would be a blow to VW's organization.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/19/without-unions-vwmayhavetroubleexpandinginsouth.html

Apparently the VW hasn't left Tennessee, but has been dealing with anti-union activists trying to sabotage their internal procedures ever since. Eventually they managed to get UAW enrolments to a minimum threshold required to give UAW reps some privileges, but only after defeating anti-union "unions" that wanted to hijack the plant and push the UAW out, and the same anti-union activists are still fighting them to this day.

http://www.ibtimes.com/southern-momentum-tennessee-vw-workers-opposed-unionizing-says-its-underdog-uaw-1555323

It's hilarious that "pro-business" interest groups are fighting tooth and nail against one of the biggest corporation's own preferences.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Aug 2, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

^^^^ Might be a different example than what I'm thinking off, but something like that happened in Chattanooga, Tennessee ^^^^

Yeah, that must have been loving surreal for the VW guys. IIRC when they had set up the factory they just went up to their employees and basically went "Okay, now you lot just set up a union and we'll organise a worker's council". You know, like they were used to from back home, because that makes things run more smoothly. And then the whole thing suddenly just exploded into a giant state-wide issue in front of their eyes. I think at one point the actual governor openly threatened the workers that if they were to unionise, VW would immediately pull out and never come back to the state, which of course was news to VW.

Ha, you are right, their senator promised that the factory would open a new manufacturing line if they rejected the union vote, even though the company itself had repeatedly rejected such claims.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-corker-idUSBREA1C04H20140213

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I really doubt that the unemployment in France is the unions' fault

Like it's one of basic Keynesian tenets that unionization (or rather collective bargaining as a whole) increases unemployment because employees choose to raise the marginal cost of employment, for their own sake. That's not an argument against unions, though, it's an argument for welfare.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Always assume the worst when Belgians are involved.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Spoiling things is necessary because society needs shared points of reference and sources of universally intelligible metaphors. Everybody knows what happens in Romeo and Juliet, and it's fine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean given the movie came out during the cold war it was like a cautionary thing and made the events more impactful than just some other place.

What was the context that made uniquely impactful the ending of the new Planet of The Apes when they return to Earth and they find the Lincoln memorial, but abe lincoln is a monkey and then everybody is a monkey but in present day america

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sometimes I deliberately spoil myself on new releases because i feel more relaxed knowing what lies ahead

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Afriscipio posted:

Do you have a link to this? I want to share it with some theatre people I know. They are putting on a production of Hamlet next year.

Good grief, how are they going to perform if they need some woman to tell them how it ends?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

I agree with you generally but I'd like to see the mislead that confuses someone who knows the answer ahead of time.

It|s more interesting to know why somebody is the culprit than who is the culprit. E.g. the good murder mysteries are about exploring the characters and interweaving their motivations - somebody who already knows who ends up guilty still doesn't know the process that leads to their apprehension.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

my cats are the sweetest and most genial creatures I've ever known, and if they actively dislike anyone upon meeting them (as opposed to the usual and reasonable short period of skepticism and caution) I'm just going to assume that person is actually a loving terminator

Your cats are terminators, and they are lulling you into a false sense of security.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

I give up, what's sexist about this ad, besides the fact that it's a lady holding the 99?

At first glance it seems like she is topless (hence "You are not seeing things)"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah the lifelessness of the features and the bright red O lips make it look like a sex doll, don't know if that's intentional or not

well, didn't stop me from masturbating over it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kojiro posted:

I mean, of course if you're selling a product that changes skin tone, you're gonna talk about skin tone, but with soap it's extremely avoidable, and clearly avoiding it is something Dove should have done at least one botched ad campaign ago.

Showing diversity (of body types, ages, ethnicities...) is Dove's whole marketing identity.

pidan posted:

Either that or they wanted the viral outrage.

Hardly, Dove has been positioning itself as progressive company for ages.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Was it even a TV ad, all I could find is a five second choppy clip from Facebook.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So the way Hellmann's could increase their millenial sales is by printing some Mario tie-ins on the label

Got it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The hatred towards mayo will never stop being funny since good mayonnaise is literally just eggs and oil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Spam Lite has about 400 fewer calories per can and isn't as salty.

Won't touch that girly "light" stuff until they introduce man's man's Spam Maxxx

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just buy any canned luncheon meat, Spam is going to be the same thing, just probably slightly better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Suddenly thinking it's the American version of Vegemite in being a ridiculously salty food that's an acquired taste and stupidly popular in some areas, and best when properly prepared.

It's a brand of a kind of processed meat product that is extremely common in all regions of the globe.

Vegemite / Marmite are disgusting, absurd concoctions invented by a demented mind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Christ, are these common US prices? And capped bandwidth? What is this, the middle ages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

100 Australian dollars is still terrible for guaranteed 12Mbps, and even worse is $30 for an ultra-slow capped connection.