Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking forward to seeing James Bond 00-VII Remake in theaters once this whole pandemic thing blows over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Runcible Cat posted:

And the BFG.

I didn't know Roald Dahl wrote the DOOM novels! :hellyeah:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blazkowicz And The Giant Guts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

Come pray, my Lord.

loving excellent

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dismas gets a bonus to backstab crits but only if you put Jesus in the front row, and I ain't paying for microtransactions to unlock him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How many dozens of people had to look at that and say "yes, that is a finished product". How many people gave that box art the rubber stamp with 'APPROVED' on it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't buy the covid excuse. They did it because collage art is popular and other companies are doing it at the expense of it lookin like poo poo. Nike for example is running one right now.

edit: It's all in the execution and imo theirs is very bad. There's just no visual cohesiveness to it at all other than "Mbappe is in the photo" and the net at the bottom is a stock photo

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jul 23, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No I meant people are speculating that covid is actually for-real the excuse, as in "we couldn't do photo shoots this year due to covid so here's what we came up with".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Jul 23, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No no, cops don't kill their wives because then that leaves them with nobody to abuse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh come on, obviously it's just a typo.

They meant to type "if you'd not like beautiful women" clearly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for subscribing to Beautiful Women Facts! If you'd like to discontinue receiving Beautiful Women Facts, type gfdnjdsfgslkfdghskjfhgag now!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also am sick of ads within podcasts that start off by talking about how lovely ads are. Shut up, just peddle squarespace or meundies or raid shadow legends or whatever and get back to talking about crimes or old cars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The real takeaway from this should be that brands are dumb and tone deaf as gently caress the world over and should be banned from advertising through social media lest they do more harm than good as they always have in every single place on the internet that they stick their stupid #relatable #content

edit: For reference this was posted by the Trinidad KFC account purely in reference to Emancipation Day and none of the other extremely easy to glean from it things one might glean from it. But it doesn't matter. Nobody cares what KFC Trinidad thinks of Emancipation Day nor should anyone care. They make 5 dollar chicken

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Aug 3, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pathetic is what it is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Woah dude epic, did you see that brand account respond to something NOT SAFE FOR WORK??? Hahahaha that's loving epic dude they just don't CARE about the RULES I'm gonna buy cyberpunk 2077 now!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hahaha I just looked at it again and I am in AWE I just cannot believe it! They understand internet humor!! Cyberpunk 2077 understands internet humor!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh I'm fine, I'm just reacting to the post the way they want their target audience to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

1redflag posted:

It seems pretty on-brand for a cyberpunk video game, even if not intentional

That's fair but I can't help but feel cynical about brand accounts, they all seem to me like they're trying to capture the wendy's twitter "wow what a rebel" aesthetic without understanding that the worm turned on that fad ages ago.

Also cyberpunk 2077 is like the pickle rick of video games imo so I may be biased.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are some things that you probably just shouldn't ever make merchandise of. Auschwitz is one of those things as we found out from that edgy war history modeling thing from a few pages back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can confirm that usernames are in fact representative of the real person. You're welcome

But I won't tell you what the C stands for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think I've really paid attention to what crap gets targeted at me whenever I am unfortunate enough to be browsing without adblock. My eyes just scan past them. They're invisible. Digital garbage. A waste of bits, bytes, and data.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It kinda sucks that when you browse without adblock the internet suddenly becomes a series of small boxes with the content in them with ads flanking 75% of these boxes on every website. It'd be nice if something were done about that but I guess it's too late.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I know there's at least one statue erected in their honor but you can't really see it through my jorts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GameFAQs is still good if you don't browse the forums because that's how you end up with Which Character's Boobs Jiggle The Most and Is Big Boss Gay and What Does Tali's Sweat Smell Like

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I told you GameFAQs' forum was a blight on humanity. Even mentioning it causes it to spread to other forums

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, so that's why chuck e cheese started a twitch account or whatever, because their joints are re-opening and they want to drum up attention

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nostradingus posted:

Yell "Volcel"

:thurman: I changed my mind this whole derail was now worth it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I turned all that poo poo off asap, which means they definitely still collect that info and sell it, they just don't show it to me anymore. Like I believe their one-hand-mysteriously-behind-back pinkie swear that they won't collect any data on me if I just say I don't want them to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

one time I searched 'golf caddy' to find out if it meant the bag of clubs, or the guy that carries the bag for you.

Well?? Which is it??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bet there's a scene in American Psycho where he clubs his golf club with his golf club and then tips the golf caddy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"throw a hundred thousand darts at the board and maybe one will stick" seems a bit sub optimal to me. If they're a multi billion dollar corporation and that's the best plan they've got, then they definitely lost.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Memento posted:

Getting the market share that no one else can compete with you means they will continue to make All The Money regardless of the fact they're not doing it as well as they could.

So what? I'm forever lolling at them that they have effectively infinite R&D and yet are only smart or willing enough to accomplish the broken sort-of-kind-of-sometimes-accurate way it currently works

edit: "Hey boss! I just found out from our quarterly reports that we now officially have more money than god! Do you think we should funnel some of that money into developing more accurate targeted advertising?"

"Nahhh don't worry about it, we make enough money as is from people buying shirts that let everyone know they're a forklift operator born in the month of july with two dogs and you'd better step off!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beachcomber posted:

According to conversations I've had with Google employees the two biggest divisions at Google are AdWords and Search. In that order. Multiple office buildings are devoted to these things.

That's pretty pathetic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mandatory lesbian posted:

You think this because you think the point is to make a good ad bot. Its not, the point is to make money, and they are doing that no problem.

If only there were a way to do this 'make money' I've had so much about without resorting to acting like a cheap half assed Big Brother knockoff. Oh well, guess it's fine that they collect all this data on people even if they say no and then don't even have the courtesy to use it in a way that more than 'kinda sorta' benefits them.

People are too willing to fold their arms smugly and go "but that's the POINT" whenever someone talks about how an advertising campaign or scheme is loving stupid and I really don't care, you definitely do not "gotta hand it to em" for "playing the game right". Why would you ever give a corporation props for anything

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Sep 18, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do Not Approve 2: Your mother in law is back and she's got a little personal problem with your lifestyle choices. Rated R, coming to streaming services this Friday

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Say what you will about them, but McDonald's definitely make a better Sausage and Egg McMuffin than I do.

Your microwave could make a better sausage and egg McMuffin then McDonald's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also meant the microwave thing literally. McDonald's' ads are pure potemkin, made to defeat the visceral disgust you feel about getting hours-old food that was just reheated in the microwave. In the 80s there was this wild shift away from "you can get your burger the fastest here because it's already ready for you" to "that's gross, make it fresh but still fast" and they never ever have caught up with the bus since it drove away back then.

edit: They WANT you to think the food is made fresh, but it isn't, especially breakfast items. Having made like a hundred of them every morning at one point, the sausage burritos are all made before open or at like 4 am if you work at a 24h McDonald's like I did. Then they're frozen for when the customer orders, at which point they're thawed and heated. Yes technically it's still fresh because it goes right into the freezer but come on man that's not appetizing at all and Mickey D's clearly knows that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jan 18, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Bloop posted:

Lol

Let's just say your McDonald's experience that you care very much about is different than mine

And that you don't know how they work especially during breakfast rush where they can barely keep up and crack fresh eggs for McMuffins

Well to be fair, I haven't worked at a mcdonalds in 15 years and I lived in a pretty small town. I imagine in bigger places they do run out and have to start making them fresh since there were always like a thousand orders even in a small town, but I never had that problem.

edit: Ok here I'll just describe it because I had to do it like three times a week, maybe this isn't the typical McDonald's experience. At ~3am the process was to start taking stuff down and cleaning it which sucked because people would still come get food and you'd say "cash only" and they'd say "but i only have a card" and dude I'm sorry but that is not my issue please leave. After that, or while that was being done, we would get out the ingredients to make stuff that takes forever to make like the breakfast burritos and make them in big long rows, and then freeze them. At this point it's probably closer to 5 which is when people would start coming in for the breakfast food, and at mine we never ran out of the stuff we made early but again small town. To give you an idea of how small, I was often there by myself on these occasions while the manager went to the bank to get the change for the day and put it in the safe, or he'd send me to do it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jan 18, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know thinking back on it, since I was in school I only worked nights or mornings on the weekend. So maybe my experience really wasn't typical of a real McDonald's morning rush. The good news is, I have no desire to ever find out what that's like, so I'm glad I missed the boat if so!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Honestly I think McDonald's has had a big turnaround in the last couple years, since they started that big push towards fresh beef for their quarter pounders. Granted, that pushed them into solidly-bottom-tier rather than sub-bottom-tier, but the progress is pretty noticeable.

This is also fair but I had to shed a few lols at their "we're using real meat now!" campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RichardA posted:

Has Maccas in the states not made the switch to having the ingredients each in there own temperature controlled drawer and assembling each item when it is ordered? It was a decent jump in quality here (Australia) compared to the old way of having assembled burgers wrapped and sitting in a warmer.

This is how most fast food joints do it these days, McDonald's does during the day I'm sure. I encourage you folks to get a job at A&W if you love the taste of root beer and want to utterly remove that facet of your personality to the point where you despise it by forcing yourself to smell it for 10 hours a day