Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am in the market to buy my 15 year old a quadcopter. After doing a bit of research I have a few questions for anyone that may know.

Fly time: seems to be in the 10-15 minute range at best, can this be increased with a better battery?

Motors: Brushed motors seem to be the norm in the $50-200 range, from reading these can die after as little as 1-5 flights (10 minutes average), and this seems like its a deal-breaker. Are there models with brush-less motors in my price range? Should I be worrying? Are there good quality brushed motors that can be recommended?

Range: seems to be around 100-200 feet, and this seems ok but I don't know for sure

SAFE: seems to be software stabilization, and necessary to not destroy your quadcopter immediately, allows for learning for a beginner. is this the case?

Video recording: I am not married to video recording but it seems like it would be a nice feature. You tube videos tell me that I need to spend at least $500-1000 to get a reasonable HD video model.. but maybe there are mods, etc that can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
DOH, I looked but missed that thread. Thank you!

• Locked thread