Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Who are we waiting on? Is it me? I posted again in case it was me. Posts for the post throne.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sorry, I've been having a touch of writer's block thinking of what to do and I had a pretty rough last week between car breakdowns and my nephew getting arrested. I'll have a post up within a day or two!

Apologies for holding everything up! Also was trying to figure out what to roll, exactly, to see if the northern team can bluff past using a puppet sergeant. Hilariously, in my rolling log, the southern team is basically going to expertly avoid the searchlights and get right up to the walls undetected, though, so it might turn out that the sneaky team gets into a WWII Action Movie Fight while the supposed diversionary assault turns into a slick commando action.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Now I feel bad for hounding you while you have real problems to worry about. Sorry! I'm trapped in the new england snow wastes with only PBP to keep up my spirits. Take your time, I just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on one of us.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, no, I'm fine. Just distracted. I know where to go now! It's coming soon.

With the thread's permission, I'm gonna stop worrying about writing huge posts for each post and just post more often from now on.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Technically Vicissitude should be on the southern side with Werix & co. but Vicissitude also hasn't posted in a while so :shrug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's been weeks since he posted. I think it's fair to say he's probably out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sister Corrina, first to fall in the assault. :rip:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

While I'm working out what to do, I've been pondering.

This is my first ever attempt at a PBP and I think it's suffering for being built a lot like I would have built an in-person game, and from being OW, which is inherently focused on combat, which is terrible in PBP. I was wondering if people would be okay with settling it after this current scenario finishes and having this be a complete shorter adventure that could, someday, lead into a longer story.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, that's more resolution than most PbPs generally get.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will have a post up within a day, by the way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

For what it's worth, I think you are doing a great job. PbP does suffer from some lag, and it's especially telling in combat where you are often waiting for other people to go before you can update/post again. I am not sure there is anything to do about it besides arrange games with less combat, or just accept the pacing and keep trucking. I suppose you could try abstracting combat beyond rounds?

Kai Tave is right that it would be more closure than a lot of games see, plenty of them just sort of stall out without and conclusion. I'd understand if that's what you want to do, but I do hope you decide to pick up the concept again in whatever format you prefer!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Combat is a pain in the rear end via PBP and the one thing I hate doing most as a GM. What I have found helps in some games (though not totally) is to ask the players to give you sort of like a list of actions they would want you to do over a number of rounds. Sometimes it's as simple as "swift attack the nearest thing, when it dies charge at the next and repeat" to as complicated as "First I'll kill that guy, then this guy, unless player joe kills him, then attack the tank" etc. Then I'll just roll up rounds of combat unless something bad happens to a player, then I'll post what happened so far, and stop the action to let players react. For example, one player goes into crits, I'll stop to allow the crit player to react and other players to change action based on the changing field.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That sounds like a good idea. Would anyone be averse to sort of Action Queuing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that works fine with me if it'll make things quicker, easier, etc.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Sounds fine to me

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

The combat abstraction sounds good.

If this did wrap up and lead into a larger story, what sort of thing did you have in mind? The "All Guardsmen Party" Dark Heresy Campaign springs to mind. Inquisitorial Agents: Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am totally fine with abstracting combat further or setting up several turns worth of actions in one go. A lot of the time we should have a pretty good idea of what our roles will be, and if something goes terribly on dice rolls (like someone's plasma overheats and explodes all over them) you can always interrupt at that point to let people respond and replan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sure. I'll get the combat post up tonight, then! Sorry I've been dragging my feet, just been trying to think of how to shift away from the standard combat heavy OW campaign because it's clear now that a combat heavy PBP is not wise, and I've been dreading running another fight for weeks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm sorry, taking a long break from running a PBP has pretty much showed me I'm a lot happier not running one. The format just doesn't work for me, as player or GM, and I have a regular IRL group that I'd prefer to focus on. I apologize, but I don't think I'll be running a PBP again, nor playing in them. The format just isn't fun and it *especially* doesn't work for 40kRP particularly well (I'm sure it handles lighter stuff with a stronger fiction focus like Monsterhearts much better).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hey, no worries mate. Thanks for running as long as you did.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh, this explains my sense of impending doom. No worries, I understand the challenges of the format and I appreciate you trying to make it work. Thanks for a good run, even if it sooner than I'd like.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Hey, your games generated much more interest than mine :D it was fun man, good luck with non-40k pbp things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Yeah, don't worry about it. It was fun while it lasted.

• Locked thread