Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

GodFish posted:

River

Maggie turns away quickly, and begins to send out another text, but you could see that she had gone a little red. "I really want too, but I don't think I can be around him just yet..." She trails off, and then glances back at you from over her phone. "You couldn't talk him into doing something else tonight, could you? I mean... he is your brother."
I look away for a moment to hide the flash of hurt on my face. I don’t have a real brother. But it’s not her fault. She didn’t mean anything by it.

I start to say something only to be interrupted by Linda. drat, this girl is dark. I stop myself from withdrawing from her, “I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to have someone else try to help out too.” I look back at Maggie with a familiar smile, “I’ll see if I can think of something to keep my foster brother from the party.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

"Yeah, okay... Sorry, Miss Salvador."

Great. Shut down. Got too far ahead there, Matthew. Thought my opinion mattered. Back to my seat I go. Linda is baring teeth at River, Tammy and Jamie are talking about something or other, and River's... Well they're all talking about the loving party

(that dad will say no to, don't bother with them they're not your friends, they're not worth it but isn't it the other way around?)

Notebook back out. New page. They say having scenes of violence in your drawings means you're a psycho, but I saw the inside of Maria's notebook once and, well, rest in pieces, stick figures. Halfway through the invasion of the Martians in stickland, I remember - Linda. poo poo. Oh well, as good a time as any.

She'd hate the frogs, so I just ball up a note and throw it at her. If it hits her, that's ten points.

Note: Matt to Linda posted:

hey linda, need to ask you a favour. Meet in cafeteria at lunch?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 10, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

GodFish posted:

Maria
You almost immediately get back a reply;

And shortly after, you can just hear the sounds of him texting away behind you. After a moment, Maggie pulls out her own phone and sends off a reply.

After a few minutes of this, you get another message

River appears busy texting away as well.

Maria leans back in her chair for a moment thinking. How can I sell Micheal to a girl I barely even know? Maggie had never really had much to do with her Maria had never had the slightest interest in being one of the fluff headed cheerleaders Maggie surrounded herself with and the girl herself appeared to have depressingly few vices she could use as a lever to point her in Micheal's direction. Still there must be something... Maria started doodling ideas in her notebook. Nothing came immediately to mind but she could always try just spending a bit of time with the girl and drop in a good word for Micheal where she could.

Doodling for Answers (Gaze): 2d6-1 4

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 3/5 Conditions: Snob

"My help never hurts anything. I can promise that," I say airily to River, easing myself back over to my side of the aisle.

I'll definitely regret saying that, but for now I get to mark experience for it because of Lure.

I see the ball of paper coming out of the corner of my eye, and whip around to catch it just in time, before it can nail me square in the head. I've never exactly been what you'd call "athletic", but these past few months... things like that haven't been so hard. My reflexes have just gotten better. I almost throw it back at Matthew, out of sheer spite -- who goes around throwing paper at peoples' heads? -- but instead, I carefully unfold it, and give it a quick once-over.

Well. That was certainly one way to arrange a meeting. Rather than continue the theatrical note passing that had already been going on, I lock eyes with the boy who threw it, and simply give him a slight, but perceptible nod. That was another of Anne's friends -- going through him could well be a viable method of getting at her. Which was certainly more important than it had been this morning, all considered. Well. If I were going to be meeting Matthew for lunch, that was going to make the timeframe for dealing with Rob a little bit tight.

It was perhaps time to seek outside help on that front.

Carefully, I slip my phone out of my purse, and dial a number I have, but have technically never used before. I deftly punch out the text message with minimal glances down, keeping the phone beneath the desk and hopefully out of view. It's an average sized Samsung. Some of us don't need to inflate our egos with phones almost as big as them, unlike the one who I was messaging.

... and okay, mom wouldn't spring for a Note 3.

conversation with Maria posted:

UNKNOWN NUMBER: Hi, Princess. It's Linda. I'll be quick. My good friend Maggie has broken up with her bf as of late. She would rather not see him at the party tonight.
UNKNOWN NUMBER: You seem like you are a very persuasive person. If you would convince Rob not to show I would owe you a favor. We can discuss that part later. Y/N?

I am spending my string on Maria to offer her an experience point if she takes care of Rob. Can also trade her the string I have on Maggie later with a Bargaining Ceremony, if Maria is amicable to this arrangement.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 11, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

Gazetteer posted:

"My help never hurts anything. I can promise that," I say airily to River, easing myself back over to my side of the aisle.

I look Linda in the eyes as she speaks her promise. I see a gossamer string, pulsating with more colors than there are words for, form between her stomach and mine. Which is apparently where our promises are kept.

“Ok, do your thing,” I say that mostly for myself, with my arms crossed and a suddenly serious look on my face. Her promise seems impossible to keep, but I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. If she fails to keep it, I’ll make sure she pays the price.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 10, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Woah, that, uh... what a catch. But hey, at least that's been sorted. Now I just have to deal with Linda at lunch, and then deal with dad, and then get to the party, and then deal with the relatives when they come over...

Yeah, uh... back to drawing.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Her phone vibrates again. Maria slides it out and sees a message from Linda of all people. Maria doesn't ever recall giving Linda her number but Linda's a resourceful girl and a friendly rival and Maria could think of half a dozen ways she could get her number so it's not surprising that she could do the same to her. Hmm, her text is interesting, She needs help to remove Rob a senior from the party (that was Maggie's exes name she knew it was something like that) and she was intelligent enough not to talk about vulgar things like payment. It's good to deal with a professional who understands how the real high school currency of favours work.

This meant a small rearrangement of her own plans for lunch but that was a small price to pay. Quickly she fired off another text to Allison asking what the real deal with the breakup and saying she wouldn't have time to talk later due to being busy preparing for tonight's festivities but that she'd make it back up to her later. She makes a note to ask Amy what she'd heard about Rob as well perhaps she knew him better than Maria did.

Gazetteer posted:

I am spending my string on Maria to offer her an experience point if she takes care of Rob. Can also trade her the string I have on Maggie later with a Bargaining Ceremony, if Maria is amicable to this arrangement.
Would probably be up for trading strings. But we'll save that for after the job is done and we negotiate payment. Do I get the XP now or wait until the job is done?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

Now that my hands are clean I can send a quick text to Jamie to apologize for being a psycho probably murderer flake.

aa posted:

sry abt bailing dude, had a 'panic attack'
meet at lunch to discss costumes+qties?

The hallway is basically freezing, but right now the cold air is just what the doctor ordered. Walking back with Zoe I make sure I've got her number to make meeting up tonight easier.

"Hey, I since figure we're not going to get back by the bell anyway, we might as well take our time. I need to catch up with you anyway, I think the other day was about the only time I've spoken to you since you, uh...since your accident. What's the latest on planet Zoe? If you and Matt aren't an item is there some other cute nerd you have your eye on?"

Normal, human people gossip. Totally doable, see?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0

----

"Why's it got to be a nerd?" I asked, just a little defensively. OK, so I'm not the most popular kid in class, or the prettiest, or the most athletic, or super smart, but I'm not bad at any of those things either! I'm just... average. Man, it kinda sounds bad when I think about it like that!

"Nah, I'm not really into anybody right now. Maybe it's because I sit behind River so I get to watch all the goo-goo eyes the other girls in class make at him. That's not really ME." I laughed a little. "Planet Zoe's had too much homework to have much of a social life. I'm so NOT doing another year of high school."

I took a little hop and skip in the empty hall. There was a twinge of old pain in one leg but I ignored it. "I'm off my crutches and that feels good. Doctors said I should make a full recovery. Probably can't wear a bathing suit without looking like the Bride of Frankenstein though."

I'd tied my hoodie around my waist instead of putting it back on, so the big oval shaped skin graft scar on my right arm was exposed. It still looked weird, sort of reddish compared to the rest of me. I'd heard that it probably wouldn't ever go away on it's own. A lot of people got tattoos to cover the mark. I rubbed at it a little self-consciously. I'd been wearing long sleeves because it was cold so no one else had seen it yet.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 12, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

"Hey, no reason it would have to be a nerd, just throwing ideas out there. It's cool that you're focusing on catching back up though, having to repeat the year would really blow."

Deliberately ignoring that crack about River. The boy is super pretty, it's not a crime to admit that! I take a look at that big scar. Jesus, how is she alive if the rest of her took that kind of beating? It's oddly sweet that she's prepared to let me see it, though.

"You must be a drat sight tougher than you look. And hey, if anyone gives you trouble over how you look in a swimsuit after what you went through, tell me and I'll beat the crap out of them!"

I make a half-hearted fist and do some sloppy shadow boxing to make it clear I'm just joking. I think I'm just joking, anyway.

"It's not going to be swimming weather for months, anyway. Don't sweat it."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Maria
As you doodle absently away in your journal, you find your mind and gaze wandering, until eventually you snap out of the daze to find yourself looking directly at Jamie. Could he be the key to Maggie?

A moment later the message from Linda arrives on your phone.

After you send Allison the message, you receive a series of replies one after another, despite her apparent irritation and not getting to gossip in person, she seems eager to share the story.

Allison posted:

fiiine gosh
so theyre like the pwr couple rite
cheer cptn and swm cptn
+ guys thnk mags is hella hot
robs a hunk 2 anyway
but i heard robs wntd 2 go all the way with her
aftr prty 2nite
skip out erly and have sm spookytime
*sexytime
gently caress autocorrect
but mags wsnt having it
not w him anyway
pprntly theres some1 shed do it with

Eventually the messages end, leaving a rather maddeningly vague story.

River, Linda
Maggie seems not to notice the emphasis placed on foster brother, being a bit embarrassed at being caught between the two of you. "Sorry Linda, I didn't mean it like that, just, wanted to be extra sure, right?" As the conversation drifts away from her, she settles into a somewhat upset silence.

Jamie
Tammy gives you a slightly shifty grin and leans in a little. "Yeah, I've liked him for ages, but Linda helped me hook up with him at a concert! She's so nice, not at all like people say."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I shrug. "I guess that's one way to look at it."

I can't really agree with Tammy, not with what I see behind her. Linda, Maria, and River circle around Maggie like a pack of sharks. I can't tell if they're talking over her or just fighting for her. Geez, even after all the trouble with her boyfriend, she gets all these cool people flocking around her. I can't stand it, sometimes.

Especially with River just there, out of my reach.

"She's your friend, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have fangs hiding there." I leave Tammy with that and check my phone. Okay, I guess Anne's feeling better now. I hope she can still help me out... though, I wonder if it would be better if I just ask him directly. And when I mean directly...

...I should have something in my locker that matches closely to what my sister's wearing right now. I'll pay a visit there before lunch.

I shoot a text back to Anne.

Jamie Chang posted:

Sure thing. Find me at the usual place.
I'll be wearing the pink headband with the white stripes, so you can tell.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This is a new scene for everybody

Ah, lunch. Greatest of all school day inventions.

Matt
Linda has just taken a seat across from you at your lonely table with her own lunch. Do you usually sit alone at lunch, or are you doing it to have your talk with Linda, and what happened in Social Studies just before lunch that's on your mind?

Linda
So, what did you bring to eat, and more importantly, drink?You see Matt sitting alone at a table and take a seat across from him to have that little chat he wanted. You don't talk to him much normally, what was the last conversation the two of you had about?

Maria
So far you haven't seen Jamie or River yet, but what you and your gang got your lunches and headed for your usual table, what about James' behavior is striking you as odd today? Amy and Michael both seem to be acting fairly normal. As you take your seats, behind you you can hear...

Zoe
Anne isn't around just yet, and Matt seemed to want to sit alone at lunch judging from how he walked right past you to sit at an empty table, so who are you eating with at the table next to Maria's usual spot? Before you can get very far into your meal, you feel someone slam roughly into your shoulder sending your fork flying, and let out a loud, fake "Whoops, didn't see you there."

When you turn to get a better look, you see Mark doing his best to try and loom over you, leaning forward to rest one arm rudely on the table next to you. Did he find out you narced on him? "I saw you getting friendly with Matt during Homeroom today. Don't you know the guy's a little cheat?"

Jamie as Maggie
You're running a little late to get to the usual spot you meet Anne at, what took you so long to get there anyway? As you round a corner, almost there, you nearly run right into River! You already look like Maggie, so this is the perfect chance! You can see Anne in the distance waiting, but it's now or never, what do you?

River
Who made a promise to you during Math today, what was it and why did it make you so happy? After looking around for Anne for awhile, where did you look first anyway, you finally spot her off a little ways, and it looks like she's been waiting for someone. Before you can go up to talk to her however, Maggie heads around a corner and almost runs right into you.

Anne
You've been waiting for Jamie, or possibly Maggie, at the usual spot for a little while now. Where is the usual spot anyway? Just as you were getting sick of waiting, you see Maggie, in the pink headband with white stripes Jamie mentioned come around a corner right next to River. Before you can do anything however, something makes you look around, and you can see another Maggie walking with along with Matt Collins heading right towards you from the other direction! What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:
Being on pretty good terms with Mr Hill whenever I need somewhere away from other students to think I just head on down to the shed he keeps his tools in. It's away from the main school buildings, probably because he stores petrol and weedkiller and poo poo in here. Sometimes if he's in there we talk, or just eat lunch together. If he's had a drink or two he tells some pretty intense war stories. Since I started hanging out with Jamie this has been a good meeting spot, especially if he's...in costume. Mr Hill isn't around at the moment so the door's locked, and I'm freezing my butt off out here.

Oh come on, normally no-one comes out here and now all the trouble shows up at one. I quickly send a text to Jamie:

aa posted:

hds up sistr cming

and hope that he checks his phone before getting to into hitting on River. Wait, why is River here? No time to worry about that, gotta head of the other Maggie and (sigh) Matt Collins. This is going to be a lovely conversation.

"Oh hi Maggie, what brings you out this way? No, I was just dropping in to tell Mr Hill that one of the taps in the girl's bathroom is broken. Haha, yeah, jammed with ink, very funny. Say, how about that party tonight, are you going along?"

I'll try and steer the conversation and the direction of travel away from danger.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 6

Nope. Marking XP

drat it Matt, stop staring at me like a loving angry owl, it's super distracting.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

gently caress, I forgot that it's Friday. There's always a gym class that finishes up just before lunch at Fridays. By the time I got to the shower room, it was already absolutely packed and full of steam. I needed to wait out all the dudes who were showering off sweat from Ultimate Frisbee before I could actually open my locker with all my "usual" clothes. Made for a really awkward wait.

I'm a little late by the time I sneak out with a getup similar to Maggie's. I make a loop around the gym and turn a few odd corners so it doesn't look like I just came from the boy's shower room. By the time I head to school proper, I adopt a posture and a poise I'm all to familiar. I'm my sister. This is loving natural to me.

Rolling Feathers: Trix, 10+1 = 11

Anne really likes to hang out at Mr. Hill's toolshed when she needs splace, so that's where we usually meet. It's a little ways off from the school itself, so less likely to run into my sister there. I make a brisk pace, crossing from one side of the campus to another. I just gotta make sure I don't see Maggie; she usually eats out for lunch with her cheerleader friends, but I can't take any risk.

The shed comes right within view. I hope I didn't leave Anne waiting too long. I already get a text from her, but it's probably just her asking where I am. I'm already pretty close, just let me round this cor-

"Oh!" I abruptly stop. Of course, I would run into him before I'm even ready.

drat, sorry Anne, but I gotta jump into this while I can.

"Oh... hey, River." I say, brushing back my hair. "Sorry about that thing with Linda earlier, that got weird."

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

I stopped by the quad to see if Anne was eating lunch there, but no such luck. I thought she ate outside sometimes. I’d hoped I would find her out there, but it’s probably too cold for that now.

I walked a loop around the main building hoping to run into her. I could already feel my stomach fluttering from my nerves. I really didn’t want to have to ask her out in front of everyone, but I’d have to do it by lunch or I’d probably miss my chance. Everyone seems to assume it’s so easy for me but they don’t really know me. All I am is my reputation, and all it takes is one public rejection to remind everyone that I’m just an unwanted foster kid.

At least I wouldn’t have to ask for a ride from Mrs. Smith, or even worse, Rob. Jeremy told me he’d give me a ride and pick up whoever I was bringing. He even promised to bring some shrooms for the after party. It’s been too long since I’d seen the better world, and this might just be the perfect night for it.

Halfway through another loop and still no Anne. gently caress it, she’s probably in the caf. I turned to head back in when Maggie practically knocks heads with me.

Maggie posted:

"Oh... hey, River." I say, brushing back my hair. "Sorry about that thing with Linda earlier, that got weird."

I put a hand on her shoulder to make sure she’s okay. “Hey Maggie, you okay? And don’t worry about that. It wasn’t your fault,” I say and give her my best smile, “What are you in such a hurry for anyway?”

Turn on Maggie: 2d6 6 Forgot to add +2 so consider that an 8. Marking an xp.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 12, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

Take a string on Jamie. :P

Oh my god, he's smiling at me. And he has his hand on my shoulder. I can feel a tingle just from his touch. Or maybe it's static. Focus, focus, Maggie, he's asking you something. Just say, um, just say...

"I was... looking for you, actually!"

Can't really come up with a better excuse than that. I take a breath and recompose the thoughts in my head.

"I just wanted to say that I thought about you said and yeah, I'll be there for the party. It'd be nice if I could get a friend to go with me, and I was wondering... if it's not too late, if you knew anyone else still available. Anyone that isn't Rob, no offense."

With a smile, I take his hand off my shoulder in a way that our hands clasp one another for a brief few seconds. Just long enough for him to notice.

"Oh! Who were you planning to go with, by the way?" Smooth segue, there.

Turning River on: Trix, 8+1 = 9.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

On some days, I settle for the crap the cafeteria sells. It's good to have a really bad cup of tea once in a while. Keeps you grounded. And that stuff is already mostly ruined before they even put it in the teabag, so the scalding water that the cafeteria uses doesn't hurt it too much. Other days, though, I want something a bit... well, better. It can be a bit of a pain to try and get the water temperature right for whatever I'm bringing, given that my two options are the superheated stuff that the cafeteria staff will give me if I ask, or using one of the school's decrepit microwaves. I manage, though.

Today, by the time I take a seat across from Matthew, I have a thermos full of freshly steeped genmaicha. It's Japanese green tea mixed with roasted brown rice -- traditionally as a cheap filler, but it gives it this particularly pleasant rice flavour. Compliments the green tea nicely, I think. And sometimes, there's a certain... amusement value to be found in serving someone tea meant for peasants. I suspect that this would be one of those times. In terms of food, I've got a salad. Nothing too exciting there. I set the container with my lunch, and the unopened tea thermos on the table, before turning my full attention toward Matthew.

"Hello, Matthew," I say, giving him a polite smile. "Your... message said that you had something to speak with me about?"

The last time we had an actual conversation? You mean, as in we exchanged more than one sentence? I think... about whether or not a math test would be held on Thursday or Friday. Some months ago. Matthew is not exactly a preferred lunch companion, I'm afraid..

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
Maggie and Matt both eye you suspiciously, your attitude makes it fairly clear that you're trying to hide something, but there isn't any sign of what you might be hiding. Matt grabs Maggie's hand and pulls her forward, shoving past you roughly. "Come on Mags, lets leave Anne to look for more explosion monsters in peace." He shoots you a filthy look, and starts heading right towards JamieMaggie and River.

Take the condition Up to something.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

Maggie posted:

"I was... looking for you, actually!"

Can't really come up with a better excuse than that. I take a breath and recompose the thoughts in my head.

"I just wanted to say that I thought about you said and yeah, I'll be there for the party. It'd be nice if I could get a friend to go with me, and I was wondering... if it's not too late, if you knew anyone else still available. Anyone that isn't Rob, no offense."
“That’s awesome. And no offense taken, I’m sure you had a really good reason to break up with him.” I remember his last text. All he cares about is trying to get laid and bragging to his bros on the swim team about it.

Maggie posted:

With a smile, I take his hand off my shoulder in a way that our hands clasp one another for a brief few seconds. Just long enough for him to notice.

"Oh! Who were you planning to go with, by the way?" Smooth segue, there.
She really is gorgeous. Can I really do this? Her smile is so perfect. Rob didn’t really deserve to be with her anyway. And it’s not like he really treats me like a brother. And Linda said she’d make sure Rob didn’t come. And what’s really important is that Maggie is happy.

I brush my hand through my hair and bite my lip, “I’m really glad we ran into each other, because I want to ask you to go with me to the party. I promise to treat you like a real lady tonight.” Unlike Rob.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 12, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Up to something.
Oh, gently caress you Matt. I tried to do this the easy way, but I can play rough if you want. I'll regret it, but this is what friends do for each other.

"Ouch, nice burn, Matt. I'm nearly as crispy as your old man from that one."

Shut Down Matt Collins: 2d6-1 2

The look of absolute disgust on his and Maggie's faces when they turn around nearly kills me then and there. Oh man, is he going to hit me?

This had better be loving worth it for you, Jamie.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
Matt freezes for a moment, then turns slowly to face you, cold fury written on his face. "What did you just say?" His voice, and body are shaking, and he gives his arm a tug, trying to pull it out from Maggie's firm grip. "Let go Mags. Let GO!" He jerks it free and lunges towards you, not even bothering with a punch. Instead he slams himself into you, bringing both of you to the ground with him on top, then sends a fist slamming into your gut.

Take 1 Harm

What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Up to something.

I could probably have dodged, or defended myself in some way, but frankly I deserve this. Flat on my back on the cold ground, with my former best friend raining punches down on me while one of the top social players in the school watches. I manage a poo poo-eating grin up at Matt while he pins me down - when did he get so strong? - and get enough breathe together to keep digging myself in deeper.

"That all you got? You hit me harder than that last time, new girlfriend holding you back?"

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 3

poo poo, I think he might actually kill me if I don't do something.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 12, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven

----

Lunchtime has been kinda lonely for me this year. All of the seats at the regular tables were filled up by the time I got back to class, so I usually scarfed down my sandwich and milk and headed to the library instead of dealing with the drama. When it got warm out I was planning to eat outside on the bleachers but it was way too cold to do that now.

GodFish posted:

When you turn to get a better look, you see Mark doing his best to try and loom over you, leaning forward to rest one arm rudely on the table next to you. Did he find out you narced on him? "I saw you getting friendly with Matt during Homeroom today. Don't you know the guy's a little cheat?"

I picked up my fork and glared at him. I didn't feel guilty for turning him in over the drugs one tiny bit. He deserved that and a whole lot more for being such a horrible jerk to Natalie. "I don't care what you think you saw, Mark. Go creep on someone else."

Attempting to Shut Down Mark. 2d6+1 = 8. Going to trade conditions. Can I give Mark the condition: "Creeper"?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

GodFish posted:

Matt
Linda has just taken a seat across from you at your lonely table with her own lunch. Do you usually sit alone at lunch, or are you doing it to have your talk with Linda, and what happened in Social Studies just before lunch that's on your mind?

Well, sometimes I sit next to Zoe, or Anne, or Jamie sometimes, which I can do because everyone expects the weird kids to hang out together. But I'm on my own today. I glance over at Zoe and god, I feel... Well, I wish I wasn't trying to meet Linda Mills, that's for sure. And I wish I could figure out if what the cafeteria sold was actually food or not. Yech.

Social Studies isn't my forte. For one, Mister Peterson usually takes my class for it, and he's got the right tone of voice to send people to sleep. One long incredibly unbroken sentence, and all that. But even then the subject matter isn't interesting to me at all. I already know half the stuff they tell me, and the rest is wrong. Of course, I can't correct the bits that are wrong, because I'm fairly sure what Dad says actually happened is not the accepted version of human history.

The national anthem would be a lot more interesting if my people had written it, that's for sure.

But we had a sub today - Miss Sanchez. A slightly plump blonde woman. She ought to be teaching kindergarten, really. But we were learning about Hallowe'en today. And the stuff behind it, like how it used to be a pagan harvest festival, and Samhain, and stuff like that... That was interesting. It's weird, because when dad talks about history he makes it seem like there were snake people everywhere, influencing everything. But he never said anything about Hallowe'en - only that it's a ridiculous holiday for mammals and I shouldn't bother. Like Christmas. I don't think he likes the idea of us not being there.

I'm trying to figure out if I could bribe dad by saying the party is, in fact, a religious festival of the sun or some crap, when Linda arrives. poo poo. Play cool, Matt. She won't kill you much. I shoot a glance at Zoe and oh god, it's Mark. The gently caress are you doing? Stay the gently caress away from her you loving creepy gross lying warm-blooded -

"Oh, yeah, uh, hi." I manage to look at Linda again. I hope she didn't see that. I almost felt the feathers under my skin. Clear throat. "Uh, I was wondering if you know where to get some, uh, Yerba mate tea? My dad needs some because he drinks it like water, and I have no idea where to get it from. And, you're the tea expert. Teakipedia. So, you might know... Where to get it from?"

Smooth, me. Real smooth.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

This is a new scene for everybody

Ah, lunch. Greatest of all school day inventions.

Maria
So far you haven't seen Jamie or River yet, but what you and your gang got your lunches and headed for your usual table, what about James' behavior is striking you as odd today? Amy and Michael both seem to be acting fairly normal. As you take your seats, behind you you can hear...

So I go and grab lunch and take it to our usual table in the middle of the cafeteria. Seen and be seen and all that. James is glaring daggers at Amy over something, must be some sort of twin style fight. When Tony and I fight the whole drat house hears about it. From the seats behind us, I could hear a bunch of seniors sat at a table chattering away to each other, I recognised at least one of the guys from Robs swim team. I saw a chance to hatch a cunning plan. I motioned subtly to Amy to play along and spoke just a little too loudly.

"Shame about Maggie and Rob, they made such a lovely couple." Amy played her part to perfection "What happened?" in genuine shock. Maria responds "She totally dumped him, apparently the dude is heartbroken. He's putting up a brave face but it's there." I can practically feel the seniors leaning forward. They'd took the bait. One of them tapped me on the shoulder Frank? Steve? something like that another of the swim team anyway. "How do you get all this stuff? Rob never tells me anything and I thought we were really good friends." Maria taps her nose "My sources are confidential." and then giggles. She turns back to the swimmer as if taking pity. "Still if it was my friend what I'd do is get him somewhere private tonight and get some booze into him. he'll be hurting and want someone to talk to." Bait trolled and set....

Swimming in deep waters (manip): 2d6+1 11

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Zoe
Mark looks somewhat offended, and straightens back up, holding his hands palms out. "Hey, I was just trying to help you out, if he cheated on a no-stakes boardgame, you can't just him for anything else either!" He backs up a few steps, then snorts and turns away, moving off along the room to another table where he sits down in a huff and starts complaining to his friends there, just loud enough that you, and probably half the lunchroom, can hear, "Man, can you believe that loving bitch Zoe? She went and called me a creep when I was just trying to warn her about Matthew being a cheating scumpot. I bet he was the one who loving narced on me too!"

Take the condition Ungrateful.

Maria
A few of the seniors look at each other, thinking it over for a moment, then one of them nods. "Yeah, that's a good point." The first one, from the team, who you're pretty sure is Steve now, gives you a big grin and slaps you on the back. "Good thinking Mary!" They all start shifting back around to their table, but you can hear one of them say to the swimmer as they do, "Party probably'd be a bust anyway Richard, who wants to be out in this weather at night."

You can vaguely heard the sounds of that nerd Mark yelling about Matthew or Zoe or something, but do you even care about that? You've got the Rob problem taken care of from the sound of it, but you still have to try and get Maggie a date for the party with Michael if you can. Still no sign of her or Jamie for the moment, so how are you planning on dealing with that now?

Anne
Matt spits on your face in fury, and punches you again and again, sinking his fists into your gut repeatedly, grunting with each strike. Finally after several blows he seems to recover himself somewhat, and looks over at Maggie. "Get out of her Mags, you don't want to get in trouble too." She gives the pair of you one last horrified look, then runs off back towards the school, heading right at Jamie and River. Matt turns back to you and draws his fist back for another blow. What do you do?

Mark another Harm

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something.

Oh gently caress, was that a rib breaking? His hot spit feels like it's scalding my face. I can see Maggie running in exactly the wrong direction and I have officially had enough of this poo poo. I reach out for something, anything to even the odds, and my hand wraps around a half brick being used to edge a garden bed. My other hand stops Matt's fist on the way down and while he's still surprised by that I bring the brick up and connect it with his chin.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2 9 for 2? Harm

Marking XP

If Matt wants, Anne will become her Darkest Self

Is he still conscious? He stopped hitting me, anyway.

"Huuuuuuuuu. Heeeeeeee. Heeeyyyy Magger. Maggie. Might wanna get your boyfriend to the nurse. Looks like he fell down some stairs."

I try to roll out from under Matt and stand up, but only succeed in getting about half way to my feet before falling down and puking my guts out.

What the gently caress is wrong with me?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
The brick connects with his chin with a sickening crunch, and Matt falls backwards off of you with a scream, his hands going to clutch his shattered jaw. It isn't until Maggie is trying to haul Matt upright while staying as far away as possible from you, and you've finished retching and lurched to your feet that you realize it wasn't just hot spit that had been burning on your face, but Matt's tears as well. He had been crying with every blow.

Maggie, trying fruitlessly to pull Matt away from you, glares up at you in a mixture of anger and fear, "What the hell is wrong with you?!" And she's right to ask. What the hell is wrong with you? This never would have happened if it wasn't for all the monsters around this drat town. They're at fault here, not you. Make. Them. Pay.

Trigger your Darkest Self.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

Wiping my lips on my sleeve I limp away from Maggie and Matt. I can't think of anything to say, and I can't stop coughing anyway. gently caress, that's at least one broken rib. I don't think I'm going to be able to sit without flinching for a month. I can see River and Maggie (no, that's Jamie) just ahead, flirting and cooing at each other. I'm well past giving a poo poo now. I stagger past, ignoring the sickening lovebirds and their looks of horror. I'm going to the cafeteria, and I'm going to find out what the gently caress is going on with Linda.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"...Really?" I blink in genuine surprise. "I mean, I wouldn't mind, but..."

Uh, okay, maybe I should have expected this. I mean, he was talking to my sister about the party back in homeroom, but I didn't realize... what do I do? I mean, Maggie's not in a good place right now, and I don't want to take this away from her. On the other hand, River is asking me out to the party.

I take River's hand again.

"You know what? I'd love that." I say, holding his hand tight. "You know, just friends, right? But if you want to go with me..."

I suddenly become acutely aware of the sounds of commotion exploding right behind River. And I just Anne walk out of it like she's gone through seven layers of hell. And I swear I hear my sister shouting.

"Oh my god." I say, immediately follow Anne, "unintentionally" pulling River along with me as well. Away from my sister and whatever just happened there. "What happened to you?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I look at Jamie Maggie like he's she's grown a second head, cough again and try to swallow a scream as my broken rib grates against itself. What the hell does it look like just happened?

"Got my...rear end kicked. You should...see the other guy."

gently caress, it hurts to breathe, let alone talk. I try to pick up the pace and leave them behind, but I don't really have it in me. Really don't want anyone to see me like this. Not River, especially not Jamie. I have to be tougher than this. Can't let the pain slow me down.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

Just as friends? I promised her I'd- "Anne?! What happened to you?"

Before I before I could get another word out, Maggie grabs me by the hand and pulls me along behind Anne. I guess this is why I couldn't find her earlier.

"Who were you fighting? Where are you going? Should we take you to the nurse?"

walruscat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 16, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

I let my smile widen a notch, showing a bit more teeth. "Well, you've certainly come to the right person." Reaching into my bag, I produce two small, metal teacups, and put them on the table in front of me. Not everyone likes metal -- it can affect the flavour in a way that porcelain or glass don't. But it won't shatter if you drag it around with you in a bag wherever you go, either. And sometimes that slight, metallic edge is just what you want. A sharp, coppery aftertaste. It can remind you of a lot of different things.

"Tea?" I offer, making it a question. I don't wait for an answer, though -- I've already unscrewed the lid of the thermos, and I'm expertly pouring the steaming, green-yellow liquid into the two cups. I pour Matthew's first, and slide it across the table toward him, before filling my own. It's still too hot to drink, but I wrap my hands around the slowly heating metal, feeling the soothing warmth going through my hands. We might be at a lovely, empty lunch table in a lovely school cafeteria, but right now, Matthew has officially stepped into my office.

The Wyrm's character sheet posted:

Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies.

When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

"I can certainly tell you where to get some," I say, reasonably. "Morgan's doesn't normally carry it -- Mr. Morgan has a very wide selection of tea, but I'm afraid he's a bit of a snob when it comes to anything 'herbal.' You know how the English get about that kind of thing." I rather suspected that he did not know, first hand, how the English get about that sort of thing. That was deliberate. Stress the fact that I was an expert here and he needed my help. "He'll order some in if I ask him to, though. And I could also give you the names of a few online retailers -- those routes would both take a bit of time and money, of course. It might be best if, for the time being, I give you something from my personal collection."

I slowly raise the cup to my nose, taking in the earthy scent of roasted rice, and the vegetable aroma of Japanese sencha. The steam from the tea fogs up my glasses slightly, but I ignore it. "I'd be more than willing to do this for you -- I always like to lend a friendly hand, and I have some lovely mate that I received a month ago. But..." I lower the cup again so that it doesn't obscure my face for the next part "... I'm wondering if you could help me with something in return. I've noticed that you are... rather close friends with Anne Andrews. I've been very worried about her lately -- that outburst this morning! -- do you know anything about what's been going on with her? Really going on? Just between us. You know you can trust me."

Linda is offering a string on her (representing her promise to help him out), in exchange for one or both of the string's Matthew has on Anne. Feel free to offer a counter offer instead if you have a different idea.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 25, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Ungrateful

----

I poked at my cup of peaches, feeling my cheeks burn a little when Mark made his pronouncement. I was really pissed off. Mark didn't have any right to blame Matt for something I did. I almost stood up and told him it was me, just to see the look on his stupid piggy face...

Almost.

But if I said I did it, then I'd have to explain why. Natalie would get in trouble, and everything would have been a big waste of time. I'd already handed out a judgement on Mark, I couldn't go back on it now. Let him think what he wanted to, unless he DID something I couldn't mess with him or I'd lose Karma points.

I looked out the window at the sky. October meant a lot of murky grey clouds doing not much of anything. I almost wanted it to rain so that Cody would have to reschedule the stupid party but it didn't look like rain. I found myself reaching into my angel memories, looking for.... I didn't know. Guidance?

Rolling Forgiveness to Gaze Into Heaven: 6d2 = 3. Goddamnit Mark this is your fault. Marking experience.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"We really should take you there, at least." I say, agreeing with River. "I can't let you go like this."

Especially with the possibility that this is my fault.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

Maria glanced around the Cafeteria. There was no sign of either River or Maggie. Shame. Hell looked like even what's his face Maggie's twin had vanished so I couldn't even pump him for information. "So what did you finally decide to go as for the Halloween party tonight Amy?" she said more for the sake of making conversation while she debated what to do next. Then she had an idea one thing I can do is go speak to Linda and let her know that Rob is out of the picture. Glancing around she spotted Linda deep in conversation with that little scrawny Ortiz kid. Maria hadn't thought he was Linda's type but perhaps there was no accounting for taste. Maria grinned perhaps she could wander over and eavesdrop to find out what was going on.

Picking up her tray she moved towards where Linda was sitting and raised an eyebrow as if to ask Linda if she was done yet?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Woah.

Like, woah. That was intense. The tea was in front of me before I could blink. I take it in both hands. It looks weird as hell, but I figure if I don't want it, I'll just tip it in Mark's lap. Actually no, that'd be a waste of tea.

I take a sip and listen to Linda. She seems to know her stuff, and although my heart sinks when she outlines the problems with getting the tea, her offer sends it right back up. That's super generous of her! Man, I'd owe her one on this. But hang on, Anne's outburst in the classroom - she was looking at Linda. Should I really tell her anything? I don't know if I can trust her, but... She said I could! I could really hurt Anne if I say the wrong thing... I really need the tea, though. I...

Maybe this will be fine.

"Well, uh..." I take a sip of the tea. It's good! "I... I'm not really sure what's up with Anne. I think maybe she's got problems with another kid? Or maybe one of the gangs? Only one time, she came in all bruised and bloodied up, and I had a first-aid kit in my locker, so I helped her clean herself up. I didn't ask any questions about it... She said she'd been in a fight, and that's about it. I don't think it was a fight with her dad, because she wouldn't have let me help. I think? She, uh..."

I take another sip of the tea, to stop myself saying anything dumb. "We were friends after that. I don't think she's crazy, like everyone else says."

That's all true. She's never told me what she's been doing, getting into the fights and turning up to school all bruised. Even though I've been watching her from afar like a weirdo Batman, I've never figured out where she's been going or what she's been doing, and if I tell Linda that, I am going to get into deep trouble. I smile at her.

"Uh, thanks very much, Linda! I owe you one."

Maybe she's not as scary as I thought!

Bargain accepted. Let there be glorious exchange of strings.

And then Maria turns up. Now SHE'S scary. I don't have to explain why. I manage to squeak a "Hi, Maria," from somewhere before looking very interested in the tea. Why does it have rice in?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

I smile again, and take a drink from the cup. Just about perfect -- or as close to it as I can manage under the conditions I was working with. So, Anne's bruises are not from domestic abuse. If I'm to believe Matthew, she really has been fighting... someone. Or something. That last thought is a little disquieting, but given everything I've been going through lately, and that latest vision, it's not entirely out of the question. "I appreciate the information," I say. Not as conclusive as I would have liked, but it's a start. "If you'd like to stop by my house before the party tonight, I should have it ready for you to pick up."

Ah, and here was Maria. I drain the rest of my cup, and set it down. As if to signal that yes, I was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

"None of your business, and I don't need to see the argh nurse"

I'm lying. But if I went there and saw Matt I'd feel even worse. God, I hope he can forgive me for hurting him. I don't deserve it, but I hope anyway. River and Jamie are looking at me like I'm some kind of broken thing, a poor weak crazy girl. That hurts worse than the rib. Why can't I run from them? Useless legs, nothing but jelly. Someone is going to pay for all this poo poo. Maybe Linda. Maybe the burning man. Maybe...maybe me.

"Just leave me alone."

• Locked thread