Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 4/5(1) Conditions: Nosy, Bossy, Creeper, Nuts

Anne obviously doesn't understand. How can she? This thing has her fooled! But it won't fool me. I'll make sure that it never hurts anyone I care about again. "The only one who's going to be dying is--"

gently caress. Maria? "No, I'm not 'nuts!'" I snap at her, still holding onto Fakeleen's jacket. "You don't know anything about what's going on!"

Giving Maria the condition 'Out of my Depth."

"This isn't Aileen!" I continue, turning back to glare at whatever it was I had ahold of. "It's--" I stop short, anger vanishing for the moment in utter shock. "... Jamie?" Then I get pissed off again. Sure, I've never seen anything particularly valuable about Jamie, but he's close enough to Maggie that I'm not about to tolerate this poo poo. "Did you think that more shape-shifting was going to fool me at this point? I'm not an idiot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1x Volatile: 0 Dark: -1x
Harm 1/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: Weak, On Notice. Out of my Depth

Son of a bitch. Linda's caught the shape-shifter and it's changing into Jaime. Wait, who the hell is Jaime, As Aileen's features shift and distort Maria watches curiously. Eventually recognizable features begin to emerge. Oh that Jaime Maggie's brother the little nerd that she always has trouble remembering exists why the hell would anyone want to shapeshift into him? Maria can think of dozens more interesting people she'd change into rather than him. Still fascinating as this all is she notices there's someone else in the car. Jefferson. That bitch, She's been the bane of Maria's existence since this whole mess started. She should've known Anne was at the bottom of all this.

I will not stab people in public (hold steady): 2d6+1 6

Before she even realises she's moving Maria is out of the car and circling round Jefferson's strange antique of a car. She fumbles for her new knife before thinking better of it. No no violence in such a public place. The cops in salvation are dumb but she's not going to give them video evidence on a plate of her stabbing someone. Wait it was all starting to make sense Jefferson and this doppelganger must have been in cahoots the whole time. Hell she wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them had been responsible for the zombies that attacked her last night. She snarls through the window of the car "Jefferson you---" words fail Maria she can't think of an insult foul enough. "--I should've known you'd be behind this whole thing you and your little doppelganger pal over there whoever the hell she/he is . I bet the zombies last night were your fault though. Not content with your little beating you had to take it further didn't you. Zombies loving zombies." Maria all but shouts. "You witch!"

I should've known (shut down): 2d6+1 10 giving Anne the condition evil witch.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 3 | Dark -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2+1/5 | Conditions: Broken Rib, Shut Out, Peeping Tom, +Evil Witch

Oh, gently caress this. You wanna play, Maria? Let's loving play.

"OK, first-"

She's so eager to get in my face that it's easy to grab her by the front of her jacket through the open window and pull her forward, bouncing her head off the doorframe. Sorry, Matt, but I'm never getting out of here without taking control of this situation.

Lash Out Physically (Maria is Weak): 2d6+4 9, spending a string to bump it up to 10.

1 Harm, Maria can't act against me for the remainder of the scene, marking XP for volatile.

"-shut up. Second-"

I push the door upon as I release her so Maria stumbles back against the SUV parked next to us, then get out and push her against it, keeping my voice sort of level.

"-I nearly got loving killed saving all your asses from those zombies last night. Take a look at my loving face, you idiot! A man made out of explosions nearly melted me and...everyone else, but I dealt with that poo poo, too! Even after your gang of idiots decided to work me over! So maybe you can show a little more loving gratitude! And third, my name is Andrews! Anne Andrews! It''s loving alliterative! Remember it!"

OK, that got a little louder than I meant it to. Maria looks suitably stunned, so I let her go. I see the cashier on the phone, but it's kind of late to deal with that now. Linda is still grabbing Jamie...yeah, that's definitely Jamie now...and yelling at him. I slide across the hood of the car (sorry sorry sorry Matt!) to be next to her, and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Linda, look, I know this looks bad. But if you trust me at all, just...get in the car. It's a pretty crazy story but we should be used to that, right?"

I must look like warmed over poo poo right now, bruised and burned and my eyes red and puffy from crying and not enough sleep. But I think I at least sound honest and sane...sort of. Hopefully our sharing session last night means enough to her to go with me on this.

Spending a string to offer Linda XP to get in the car

I give Maria a glare as I walk back round the car and hop in the drivers seat, buckle up and start the engine.

"I told you last night, stay out of my drat way. Go be with your girlfriend and play your stupid gangster games, leave the real work to people who can handle it."

With or without Linda it's time to leave before cops show up or something. The rumbling of the Oldsmobile's engine is a great substitute for a conversation as we drive out onto the road and towards Zoe's trailer.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1x Volatile: 0 Dark: -1x
Harm 2/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: Weak, On Notice. Out of my Depth

Ugh, what the gently caress. Next time she's going straight for the knife and not hesitating. That Andrews bitch is crazy. Still if it wasn't her who set the zombies on Maria than who could it be? between the fuzziness of her head and the pain restarting in the stomach it was kind of hard for her to think. Still she'd said something about a man made of explosions. What the hell was that all about. Through gritted teeth and the pain in her stomach she feels Amy's cool hand on her shoulder as she guides Maria gently to the side passenger seat. She'd worry about revenge on Anne later right now she really needed to think about who else might have hated her enough to sic zombies on her.

She heard Jimmy mutter something about the cops as he floored the gas pedal and they hit back on the main thoroughfare. It really wasn't shaping up to be best weekend of her life at all. And when she found out who was responsible for that they were going to pay. Still all she needs is some tiny little clue. There must be something she missed about those zombies that would lead her right too whoever was behind it all. Assuming Anne had been telling the truth of course...

Gazing into Traffic: 2d6-1 1 was asking who was behind my problems but welp...

Levelling up and taking a point of cold

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Zoe
Back at the house, the leftover pizza does little to comfort you in the wake of the dead deer and the vision of yourself as a fallen angel. Considering the state of the police in this town, you or dad managing to get them to investigate this properly is probably a lost cause, but there are other ways of dealing with it that won't end in you murdering an entire compound of people. A certain someone from school who rumor says has ...connections... expressed interest in you last night, you might be able to get something from there. Otherwise, getting the police to act would probably require a rather large bribe, and it isn't like you have a large wad of money laying around, is it? What do you do?

Matt
As the two of you eat your way through the leftover pizza, Zoe seems lost in thought, and still definitely down about that deer. Do you have anything in mind to comfort her now that you're back? Waiting for Anne and your stolen wheels is probably a lost cause by now considering how long its taking for her to even contact you. What do you suggest the two of you do now?

Jamie
Revealing yourself has just made Linda angrier, though she doesn't seem to think its actually you. No matter how hard she tries now though, she won't be able to break the magic, since there isn't any left. What do you do?

Linda
The feeling of something in your grasp fades, leaving only Jamie in Aileen's clothes behind, but it's just another trick. But now Anne is clearly saying that she knows something about this doppelganger. Are you going to listen to her? If she really does know something, does that just make her complicit in Maggie's injury? Are you going to hear her out and get in the car? It'd stop them from getting away from you at least.

Maria
The shining lights of the cars flicker across your window as your car speeds away from the gas station, forming a dancing haze of light. Soon the pattern is disrupted by sharper, blue and red swirling beams cutting through the softer red and yellows as the cops speed past your car in the opposite direction. Then the lights blend together again as the ache in your head where Anne slammed it against the car builds steadily stronger.

Soon you can see nothing but the lights, and the sound of the traffic fades and mixes with more noise, faint murmurs of thoughts clamoring among your head, filling it with emotions different from your own anger confusion and pain, adding in sympathy, fear, a good helping more confusion, attraction, outrage, and frustration.

Then a thought jumps out, clear enough to be your own, though you can't tell if it came from you or someone else. Weak. That's twice you've lost to Andrews in less than a day. When did she get so strong? When did you get so weak? Weak. The zombies were stronger than you too. Weak. Finally the tumult dies down, leaving you with just that thought, and the answer to your question. Your problems all come from you, you and your weakness.

You need power, more power. You have power though, social power, physical power, numerical power, all different kinds of power,, but you're still lacking. And if zombies and explosion men, whatever the heck Andrews was talking about, are real, then maybe there other other kinds of power as well.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +2, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
DARKEST SELF | Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Colossal Dweeb

Um, well, I'm not particularly aware of... what there is to do around here. I mean, I normally spend it playing video games, or wandering around. And Zoe doesn't have much of the former. So... I gotta ask what there is to do around here! Like a dweeb! Yay! For gently caress's sake Anne, I'd be so mad at you right now if there wasn't a chance you knew our secret weakness or something.

"So, uh..." She looks like she's thinking about... Something. The deer? I mean, I'd be down if I'd lost something important to me...

"What do you normally do, on a weekend?" I shrug. "I mean, besides hikes into tiny chunks of paradise hidden near your house, which, by the way, wow. Do you get up to much?"

Another slice of pizza. Yum.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 2x Volatile: 0 Dark: -1x
Harm 2/4 | Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: Weak, On Notice. Out of my Depth

This is just loving fantastic. She can't do anything right lately. She feels weak and out of her depth. How the hell did Anne whatever the gently caress her last name was even learn to hit that hard. It's not fair. None of this is fair. She doesn't want or need to deal with zombies and doppelgangers and psychics and who the hell knows what Anne was talking about Exploding men. Right now you could tell her unicorns and vampires existed and she'd probably believe it. Just when she thought she had a handle on this crap something seemed to go wrong. She needed to find some way to even the odds. Surely there was something out there she could use something that could give her that little edge when she needed it. And if she just happened to get revenge on Anne somewhere along the way well that could help too. Still if she couldn't match Anne in a stand-up fight she'd just have to do what she did best and fight dirty. Still she needed more information before she could move further now who out there would know something about Anne... Those two nerds she was always hanging around with! they always had their heads together in some dark corner. She just needed to talk to zoe. Or maybe seduce that Ortiz kid, he'd seemed interested in her the other day after all maybe she could use that get something out of him.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -1/1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:
----

I dropped the paper plates into the trash can. "Oh, not much really. I read a lot. I have the internet, but it's kinda slow." I usually do some tidying up too, but I don't want to do chores when I have a guest, even if the place is a little messy. Mostly I just want to get out of here. Between that weird snake and the dead deer and all the other poo poo going on...

I'm not touching dad's cash so I need to think of something else. Maria did bother talking to me last night. Maybe I should... I dunno, no, that's not right. I don't know what I should do but I know it isn't what that vision showed me and somehow I figure talking to Maria would end up just as bad.

Ugh! I can't stand this anymore.

"Hey, you're pretty handy with um, cars and stuff right?" I asked Matt. "Maybe you can get us out of here."

I took us back outside, behind the shed. There was a... well, it was a moped, technically. Or might be, if someone could get it working again.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Oh, poo poo! A moped! It looks like an 80's model, maybe a Yamaha? It's not too badly beat up... Yeah, I could fix it.

"Alright, I can fix this up," I tell Zoe, "But I'm gonna need a while. Might need an extra pair of hands. But give me a moment and we're outta here!"

We drag it out from behind the shed a bit. There's a toolbox nearby, so I pick that up and get to work. It's not too hard. Most of this stuff just needs routine crap doing tomit, cleaning and whatnot, except magnified by, like, five, because of how long it's been back there. Some parts need changing around, and one or two bits I'm not a hundered per cent on? But I'm sure it'll be fine, and it probably won't explode and turn me and Zoe into jam. It's hard work, though! And the weather's pretty warm, so I work up kind of a sweat doing it. Hope I don't need to ask to use the shower. That would be, like, a sixty on the one to ten scale of weird.

Turn On Zoe with the power of hard work and manly mechanical montages
[23:45] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+2
[23:45] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 8+2 = 10

String on Zoe!

When we're done, and the moped's fueled and ready, I look over our handiwork and get an idea. A wonderful, crazy idea.

"Hey, Zoe." I hop on and kick the engine to life. It makes a kickass chugging noise and the whole thing vibrates. Aww yeeah, real mean machine here. I flash Zoe a grin and look her dead in the eyes.

"Let's go. You and me. World's our oyster. Salvation ain't gonna know what hit it.”

Dorky? Yeah. Awesome? gently caress yeah.

Spending a string on Zoe to offer her XP to go joyriding through Salvation.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 12, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -2/2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 5/5 (still debating Advance)| Conditions:
----

Taking that xp! Marking Forgiveness to go joyriding with Matt instead of enacting Angel Revenge.

"Wooooooooooo! Hoooooo!"

We didn't have helmets and the moped didn't have a back seat, but it did have a sort of fender thing that worked OK enough. I couldn't believe Matt actually got the thing to start, it'd been sitting outside for as long as I could remember. The wind blew my hair back, and the road to town was all downhill too so it felt like we were flying and... and...

I had this sudden, brutally clear vision of actually flying and I nearly lost my grip on Matt. It was one of the strongest memories Remiel had ever dumped on me and it was...

It was...

Wonderful...

"LET'S GO TO DAIRY QUEEN!" I yelled over the sound of the motor.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5(2) Conditions: Nosy, Bossy, Creeper, Nuts

Jesus loving Christ. Am I going to need to sit these two down and force them not to constantly try and kill each other? Looking at Anne, it is possibly a bad idea to say that out loud at the moment, and Maria's already driving off (I know I'll need to deal with the damage from that later on), but whatever. And this is all making it very hard to concentrate on how angry I am at Fakeleen or ... Fakemie or whatever the gently caress I'm currently holding onto. Do I really want to risk alienating both of them right now, though?

Accepting the experience. I level up and can take Scales:

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a terrifying beast of talons and coils. Give yourself the Condition secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

"Fine," I say, releasing the shapeshifter's jacket, and climbing into the back seat. "This had better be a very good explanation." I wait for the thing in my chest to go away -- usually it's only around when I'm especially pissed off and ready to rip someone's head off right this second. But this time, it doesn't leave. It just kind of stays there, leaving my feeling cold and dangerous and almost... hungry. I don't really want to linger on that last part, so I decide to stop looking at the back of Fakemie's neck like it's somewhere I should apply my teeth to.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Broken Rib, Shut Out, Peeping Tom, Evil Witch

I can't stand awkward silences. With Linda staring daggers at Jamie who is looking increasingly uncomfortable in Aileen's clothes I figure it's up to me to break the ice a little.

"Okay, um. Both of you already know a bit about my side of the story. I have visions and fight monsters, basically. It started when the plant blew up. I saw a man made of fire who started the explosion, and after that I could see...dead people, among other strange things. Fighting is sort of...easy? Like instinctive, it just happens. I don't know why I got this power, but I try and use it to save people. Last night at the party was the worst it's ever been. There were, I dunno, easily dozens of zombies trying to get to the party. And then when I set of a gas canister to stop them, the Burning Man showed up again and...I fought him off, but I was lucky to get away with a sunburn. Matt Ortiz helped me out a bit, as well."

I pause to think about how much I'm going to tell about Matt, or tell Linda about Jamie or vice verse. I settle on pretty much nothing they don't already know.

"Linda, Jamie has helped before last night. I kept quiet about his...talent, and he helped me out by filling in for me on a couple of occasions. Before you ask, I don't know how it works but no-ones ever been hurt before."

That I know about, insists a treacherous little voice in the back of my mind. And what about Matt Collins? He used to be your best friend and you broke his face open with a brick to protect Jamie? What the hell was that about?

"Jamie, Linda knows what I do. She helped me last night, kept people away from the fight among other things. She's...got something else going on, a power of some kind, but I don't want to blab about it because I don't know much. I don't know how much you two know about each other, or what you want to say, but as far as I'm concerned you're both my friends, and I need all the help I can get."

There. That's my piece. Hopefully Jamie has a line that can keep Linda from tearing his head off, some explanation for what happened to Maggie.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

"HELL YEAH! DAIRY QUEEN IT IS!"

Aaaaaah holy poo poo this is the greatest thing ever! I made this happen! I did this! We're flying along and Zoe's holding on to me and the wind's in my hair and THIS IS AWESOME! I loving love being alive! I take a moment to imagine maybe, like, my ancestors flying alongside in snake form, like a scaly winged express train of awesome. Man, wish I got my wings. That'll take, like forever, though. This is an awesome preview, though!

We're starting to level off as we come into town, and I slow up a bit because whilst going at eleventy-billion kph is the greatest, I would rather we didn't end up as a smear on the road. Dairy Queen, Dairy Queen... main road, take the third right, towards Kingsfield (that's where all the shops kinda huddle together, like they're scared of getting mugged), look out for -

poo poo, is that my car, going the other way? Is that Anne? Uh, poo poo, act cool! She's totally gonna see me taking Zoe to Dairy Queen! IN HER DAD'S SHIRT! I seriously hope there aren't other people in that car because I have to clean it probably and also they're gonna see me with Zoe and oh god the rumors won't end

not that i'd mind that much BUT STILL

I give them a wave because yeah that's totally my car, and I slow up a bit as I look to turn into Dairy Queen's lot. Man, we've got a lot of... catching up? To do? Oh boy.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Aileen Young
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 6/5

"Can I..." I say nervously, my voice changing back to Aileen's again, "Can I go like this for a little longer? I don't want to be seen looking like um, me with these clothes."

I need my veil. I can't do a loving thing without it. I had to expose myself in front of Linda, to show myself with Aileen's undersized clothes. Between that and staring at Linda's face, I've never been so embarrassed and so terrified in a long time.

"Look, I was just fooling around, I just wanted a date with River. And he liked my sister. He wouldn't go out with me, I'm..." I can't even finish it. "I didn't mean to hurt her. I don't know how this magic works. It... protects me when someone tries to uncover. It breaks apart and cuts like glass. I would have hurt you too, Linda, if I let it happen."

I really don't know if that would make her feel better. I ask myself briefly on why I even care about that, but stop myself. I can practically feel her breathe behind my neck.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Linda
Is that good enough? If it isn't, what can, or will you do to try and set things right?

Anne
Linda hasn't said anything yet after Jamie making his piece, so out of hope in things winding down, where do you start taking the three of them? Also, was that Matt and Zoe going by a bike just now? Before you have much of a chance to look twice, whoever it was is gone out of sight.

Matt and Zoe
That ride was a mix of intoxicating and cleansing. Back in town, with people around the prospect of delicious dairy treats ahead of you, the death of that deer and the other weights on your minds feel much lighter, easier to deal with. What snack are you going to get?

Matt, as you park in the small DQ lot, you happen to catch a glimpse of Maria getting out of a car. At school you couldn't seem to know where to put your eyes, but since it looks like she has other people with her, she probably won't come over to talk to a nerd like you, right? Are you relieved or disappointed?

Zoe, who do you see that you know inside the DQ when you and Matt walk inside, and what did you want to talk to them about? What are you going to do about them?

Maria
Everyone in your car is a bit high strung right now, last night plus all this, and a near miss with the cops, well its no surprise that Jimmy pulls off the road rather quickly, into the parking lot of a Dairy Queen. Whatever plans you might have for power can probably wait long enough for you all to cool off with some ice cream, right? And speaking of plans, across the lot from you are the two people you had just been thinking about, Oritz and Zoe, getting off a moped in the lot. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Broken Rib, Shut Out, Peeping Tom, Evil Witch

In all the excitement I kind of forgot where I was going for a moment. When Matt and Zoe zip past I nearly go off the road craning my neck to try and make sure it's them. I jerk the wheel straight again just in time and pull over onto the gravel to catch my breath.

"Did...did you girls see that? On the moped? Was that Matt and Zoe?"

I check my phone, but I haven't missed a call or message from either of them. What are they doing now?

"I'll just...look, I was going to get Matt anyway, so I'm going to turn the car around and go after them. Did you have anywhere you want to go in town while we're after them?"

I quickly text Matt:

txt2Matt posted:

did i jtsu c u on/scoter w/z? respek! wre u @?

And then I watch Jamie and Linda for a response.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Well there's only one choice, really. CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH ICE CREAM. Anybody who says otherwise is a Buluc-damned heathen. End of story.

Aaaand Maria's there. Crap. Yeah, she's... attractive, but her being surrounded by what appears to be her usual gang does not give me confidence. I seriously don't want to talk to her anyway, not right now. I've got better things to think about. I hope she doesn't decide to come over and bother me because I don't have a clue what to do if she does. Telling her to go away would probably be a bad idea. They'll find me in an alleyway with half my teeth missing.

We walk in the Dairy Queen and I quickly check my pockets. My old phone melted, but somehow I've got some cash - a bit singed, but enough for treats for the both of us. Small mercies, eh? I guess I could see if I could rescue my SIM card and put it in the phone that I... found. Until I get a new one. Yeah. I'll get on that right now, I think.

"So, uh," I ask Zoe, "is there anything you want? It's on me."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.

"Somewhere there's a malicious god laughing at me." Maria pouts as they pull into a convenient rest stop. Jimmy and Sean look about ready to kill someone and from what she can pick up it's Anne. Not that she'd object to that sort of thing.... not after that. But then Amy pipes up "Let's grab some ice cream while we're here." Maria thinks to herself that it might not be that bad an idea and they all head in and take a seat. Maria waves the gang to take a seat while she goes and orders. She picks stuff more or less at random for the gang and just gets a big dollop of mint icecream for herself.

She carries the orders back. Mike smiles as she unloads the tray "Hey a Banana split just what I wanted." Amy picks the fudge sundae and Jimmy grabs his ice cream sandwich. "mm delisiosh.... "she half hears Jimmy mutter through the food. Mike seems to be digging in to his although he must have a hollow leg or something cause he never seems to put on any weight. Maria wishes she could say the same thing but she needs Ice-cream now. She'll worry about the cost later. Amy's enjoying hers as well. Of course it has to be Mike who pipes up "This is really great Maria it's like you knew what we wanted before we did.... " he adds.

Crap she wasn't reading their thoughts subconsciously now was she? Still for once something goes her way and she see's someone march in to the diner whom she recognises. Grateful for the interruption she turns back to her gang and whispers "hey isn't that the Ortiz kid... and whoa is that Zoe." the entire gang turn to look. It's Mike that figures it out first "are those two--" he trails off "I don't even want to think about it." Maria can't resist the urge to tease him "Hey I think Nerds in love are kinda sweet." Mike just laughs "I really don't want to think about it." Maria notices Amy is staring though even though she doesn't say anything.

It's only when she has a stray thought that Zoe is kinda cute and wasted on a boy like that.... That she realises, poo poo Amy's leaking. Maria doesn't like girls not like that, does she? Ok focus Maria. This isn't the time or the place. Still perhaps one of them can fill her in on what to do about Anne she's seen the three of them gathering in dark corners and whispering to each other. All she needs to do is get them alone. She waves her gang to stay where they are and then stands up and walks over and smiles at the two obvious lovebirds "Oh Hi, fancy seeing you two here. Can I get either of you an Ice-cream " after all it's like the old saying you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Even better if it's icecream and not honey. She sits down uninvited in the booth and flips her hair back seemingly unconsciously pretending to not notice as Zoe suddenly stares...

Flirting with Zoe (turn on): 2d6+1 10 taking a string

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5| Conditions:
----

Well, Matt is right about one thing: Cookie Dough is the king of ice creams. I get mine as a Blizzard though, it's a bit more dignified than trying to slurp on a cone in front of him. Normally I'd sit down across from him in the booth but I dunno, after that ride on the bike with my hair in the wind it feels more natural to sit next to him, close enough to rub shoulders.

"Thanks." I said, between bites. We haven't really said much since the ride, I think we've both got a lot on our minds! Not just each other but... stuff. I mean, he had to have a good reason to show up at my place and we still haven't really talked about it. I don't mind though. I don't really WANT to talk about it right now. It's funny, I don't usually go out for ice cream in October but I'm not cold at all!

Then...

Then Maria sits down in front of us. I gave her my best go away glare. She countered with a hair flip, and it made me jealous. My hair's always been so straight and impossible to do anything with, and it's just this... boring brown-blonde that doesn't take highlights well. I wish I was pretty like Maria sometimes. I glance at Matt out the corner of my eye, but he doesn't look happy to see her either. I smile on the inside, good.

"We've got ice cream already." I said, disinterestedly. Maria wasn't really looking at Matt was she? She was looking at me. Was she... interested? It was almost flattering. I slowly drew the bright red spoon out of my mouth, making a bit of a production out of it. "What do you want?"

Revenge turn-on: Forgiveness(Halo) 2d6+2 = 8! Choose.

-----
Re: my prompt, I'm thinking Maria's appearance covers it so I'm just going with her for that. Spending my advance on Grace and Brilliance, time for some MIRACLE POWER.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 30, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Maria is here, and Zoe is doing things with a spoon. I don't know if I'm in heaven or hell. Help, someone.

"Uh, hi, Maria," I say, and that's about all I can manage right now. Okay, uh, the phones! Get them both out (under the table so I'm not distracting anyone), prise my old one open (ew, burnt electronics smell gross), swap the cards and... Voila. I am using a dead person's phone as my own. May Ah Puch drag me to hell for it.

The phone buzzes straight away. Huh. Keeping an eye and an ear on the conversation, I get the phone where people can see it and have a look. It's from Anne. Okay, yeah, she saw us. Looks like we're gonna have a party real soon.

txt2Anne posted:

yeah bae that was us :D @ dairy queen right now, wanna meet there?

Well, at least I get my car back. Although after that kickass scooter ride, I'm thinking I'd trade.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Wow, Matt. Just wow. I'm whiter than fresh paper, I live in a town that is like...95% white, in a white as gently caress state, and that is still probably the single whitest sentence I have ever read. From a, uh, vaguely latino snake-guy, no less. Still...going to Dairy Queen sounds better than driving around aimlessly while Jamie and Linda stare daggers at each other. I still haven't had any kind of breakfast, and left-over adrenaline is only going to carry me so far.

txt2Matt posted:

bae? lol u dork. omw

"Change of plans. We're getting dairy queen, and I'm giving Matt back his car."

I do a gentle three point turn (only stalling once!) and pull back out on the road. On the plus side we only have to go like five minutes from here, there's a bus station there if anyone wants to get off this wild ride, I can get breakfast and catch up with Matt and Zoe. Nothing wrong with this plan at all.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.

Zoe's licks that spoon and Maria freezes for a moment wondering what else she could suck like that. Dammit Amy, stop leaking! she thinks to herself. Shaking her head to clear the brief (but not totally unpleasant.) thought Maria turns to the two love birds and smiles her most personable smile. "Sorry to interrupt your date." she lies "but I need a favour from both of you." She pauses for a moment " I think Anne and I have got off on the wrong foot, last night and I want to make it up to her." she adds. "But I don't really know her well enough to do it right. You guys are friends of hers right? can you tell me what she likes or hates" she asks trying not to stare at Zoe too hard.

Giving Zoe a string for that turn on. And spending my new string on her to offer an XP if she dishes the dirt on Anne.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Oh, poo poo. Maria's asking about Anne. The Anne i just invited over to hang out with us. And I'm kind of certain that Maria asking about us is trouble. She doesn't give a poo poo about our group normally. So she wants something, and she keeps looking at Zoe, why don't you gently caress off you filthy ho-bag, you, you MAMMAL?

"We're not telling you anything about Anne," I say, before Zoe can respond. "We were having a nice time before you and your little gang turned up!" I'm angry, and I can't help myself, who does she think she is? And the power comes all too easily. Years of ordering mammals around has made us good at one thing.

"Why don't you go away and leave us alone?"

Shutting Down Maria:
[21:36] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+2
[21:36] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 5+2 = 7

Let's swap Conditions! Maria can have Intruder.

In case it's not clear, I'm invoking Temptation: "Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them."

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 5, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Harm 2/4 | Experience: 0/5 | Conditions: Weak, On Notice. Out of my Depth. Intruder

Before she realises what she's doing Maria actually stands up and makes to move away from the table.

Resisting the Nerds Suggestion (Hold Steady): 2d6+2 9
You keep your cool

Then she stops for a moment. Why is she letting some little pipsqueak dictate what she does and doesn't do. poo poo if she's going to let herself get that low she might as well give up on life now. She turns back to the table and addresses the two of them, "If you don't want to help that's fine but thats no excuse to talk to me like that." She frowns but leaves at that. The last thing she wants to do is upset Zoe by insulting her boyfriend in front of her. Although what she see's in him Maria has no idea.

She pointedly ignores the little pipsqueak and turns back to Zoe. "I hope you have more sense than your boyfriend."

Giving Matt the condition pipsqueak

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5| Conditions:
----

"Boyfriend?" I couldn't help saying it, because I hadn't really thought about it like that! Except I had because he'd asked me to the dance, I mean but he hadn't asked me OUT though and sure we were getting ice cream and he fixed the old bike and we were hanging out but that's just like a friend thing, friends do that right? Even though maybe it WOULD be nice to have a boyfriend, and he had been in my room last night...

Arghhhhh! MARIA!!!!!!

"I don't really know her like that." I said, shrugging. "We hang out sometimes, but we're not like besties or anything. Sorry."

I wasn't, but I wasn't lying either. Anne was kind of a mystery to me. It always felt like she was holding something back when we were together. Something she didn't want to say or do. I don't think she's ever really relaxed around me. I used to think it was because of my crutches, and she just didn't want to make me feel different you know?

It was right about then that I saw Matt's car pull up. "Oh, you could just ask her yourself." I said, pointing out the window.

-----
Zoe turns the XP down, sorry!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Alright, here's DQ, there's that little scooter, I'll just pull up here and godfuckingdammit why is Maria here as well? Does she not have a home to go to? Does she have nothing better to do than show up and harass me, or...go after my dorks? Those are MY dorks! She already has a goon squad! I feel like driving through the window to make an appropriately furious entrance, but I've already abused Matt's car enough for one day. Instead I park next to the scooter, take a deep breath, and without waiting for Linda and Jamie to finish their silent contest of wills I walk casually in through the door, flipping the car keys in my hand and whistling a jaunty tune.

I can feel eyes on me as I make an order (pancakes, coffee) and saunter down to the table where Zoe, Matt and Maria are sitting.

"Hey, here you guys are! Man, it feels like ages since I saw you! Crazy night, huh? Party was kind of a bust but at least some of us had fun, right?"

I carefully toss Matt his keys and sit next to him, opposite Maria. I give her a smile and wink. If I can make her feel uncomfortable about making out with Amy maybe she'll leave without causing trouble.

(Unintentional) Turn On Maria: 2d6+1 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Hearing Zoe say "boyfriend" like that makes me feel... weird? I thought we were... already? I'm sure I mentioned it last night... Then again, I don't remember a hell of a lot from last night, actually. Kinda? I may have said dumb things. Maybe I should ask Zoe out already, to clear up any oh hey there's Anne.

"Hi, Anne!" I grab my car keys and pocket them. "Enjoy the Oldsmobile? Hope you didn't give her a hard time, she's the old hotness. You can keep her if you want, Zoe and I have got a kickass scooter now!"

Anne looks at Maria during that "some of us had fun" line and, uh, whatever. Don't care. Eating ice cream.

• Locked thread