Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

Yeah, I went out last night with those Amy Johnson's clothes. You know, the spare ones in her locker that she saved for sudden rainy days. Took a while for me to get hold of those, but totally worth it. I always wanted to hang out with Maria's gang, especially when I heard she ran things like a well-oiled Sicilian machine. Didn't hurt to walk in the shoes of someone else's twin, haha.

Maria seemed a bit icy from afar, but going like this, we just talked and had a good time. We ended up talking about costumes for that Halloween thing tonight. When she asked about my costume... well, I didn't know what Amy would go as, and I didn't want to cause confusion with a bad guess. I just assured Maria it would be a surprise.

But you asked what went wrong from that. Well, I walked home with my "brother", James. I planned to break off midway into our route so we didn't risk meeting the real Amy (I got her distracted earlier on), until he grabbed my arm to stop me. I asked him what the big deal was, I just wanted to pass by somewhere. And he said...

"Don't."

I asked what he meant. "Don't do it. You wanted to tell Maria about your crush with in the party, right?" God, never seen Fat Jimmy look as serious he did there. "We have a good thing going with her. Don't make it weird."

And I guess that's been sticking in my mind until right in homeroom. I've been tapping my desk with a mechanical pencil, mulling over those words. A little drama in the group, I guess. But what am I gonna do with what I know? Hmm.

Well, let's consider the party first. I got an invitation, I guess, though it was more of a courtesy thing. No one would actually notice if I was there or not, not when Maggie plans to walk in there like she owns the place as a snow queen. Or Elsa. That leaves with room to mingle and mess around. But who to go as?

I guess that depends on one thing. I glance back the boy talking to my sister right now. River's been in my sights for a while now. I can't really explain why, but he's just really... hard to look away from. Actually getting a chance to talk to him would be nice. I wonder what's his type? Maybe I should ask about that at lunch. You know, indirectly.

Satisfied with that, I glance back towards my seatmate, Anne. And tap her shoulder with my eraser bit of my pencil. "Hey, planning anything for the party tonight?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I move my lips in way that quietly spells out "pfft".

I'm really lucky that Anne's cool over the whole shapeshifting thing. Even if it might put me on her monster watchlist or something.

"Yeah, that depends..."

Without realizing it, I find myself looking back at River. And I catch myself, looking away before I betray my intentions. Even without the magic stuff, this isn't something I can admit out in the open.

I lean in to whisper to her. "Do you know what River looks for in a date?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

"Maria, huh?" Her clothes shouldn't be hard to get if I pull off Amy again. A costume that she owns would be much harder, though. Eh, let's work on getting some normal clothes, then I could style some halloween stuff over it. Maybe dab some fake blood and hair dye so I can go as Buffy. "I'm not gonna hurt anyone, I just want a chance to talk to Rive-"

I realize that I don't have Anne's attention. Who's she turning away from? River? Are you kidding me? Do I gotta push her aside, too? Okay, focus. Maybe she just saw something gross.

"Okay, I should get ready after school." I say, trying to act like nothing's wrong. "Can you do me a favor? Maybe go to River for me and ask who's he asking out?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

...And Anne suddenly bolts out of her seat and runs up in front of Linda. Then runs off to the bathroom.

Tammy, the girl behind my seat, throws me this weird look. I don't have anything to say to explain it. I just throw up my arms.

What the gently caress is wrong with her this morning?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I give Linda the same shrug I just gave Tammy. I don't know, okay? Anne just freaked out over something, spilled ink all over her, and bolted. Some other people followed her too. Didn't know Anne had a clique of her own, though. I should look into that sometime.

Too much commotion going on now, though. I should stay put and look for Anne later. I could still use her help.

I turn back at Tammy, flashing a smile. "That was weird, huh?" She's pretty much only person still adjacent to me, especially after Hatcher got narced out a while back. I really need to talk to someone right now. "How about you, any plans for the party tonight?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

"Uh..."

Okay, I obviously can't be open about this with Tammy than I could with Anne. And if you ask me, Jamie Chang, about my love life? Ah, gently caress.

"Not really, but I'm looking around." I say, tentatively. "Brad, huh? Didn't know you two were like that." Doesn't Linda have Tammy like a vice?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

I shrug. "I guess that's one way to look at it."

I can't really agree with Tammy, not with what I see behind her. Linda, Maria, and River circle around Maggie like a pack of sharks. I can't tell if they're talking over her or just fighting for her. Geez, even after all the trouble with her boyfriend, she gets all these cool people flocking around her. I can't stand it, sometimes.

Especially with River just there, out of my reach.

"She's your friend, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have fangs hiding there." I leave Tammy with that and check my phone. Okay, I guess Anne's feeling better now. I hope she can still help me out... though, I wonder if it would be better if I just ask him directly. And when I mean directly...

...I should have something in my locker that matches closely to what my sister's wearing right now. I'll pay a visit there before lunch.

I shoot a text back to Anne.

Jamie Chang posted:

Sure thing. Find me at the usual place.
I'll be wearing the pink headband with the white stripes, so you can tell.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

gently caress, I forgot that it's Friday. There's always a gym class that finishes up just before lunch at Fridays. By the time I got to the shower room, it was already absolutely packed and full of steam. I needed to wait out all the dudes who were showering off sweat from Ultimate Frisbee before I could actually open my locker with all my "usual" clothes. Made for a really awkward wait.

I'm a little late by the time I sneak out with a getup similar to Maggie's. I make a loop around the gym and turn a few odd corners so it doesn't look like I just came from the boy's shower room. By the time I head to school proper, I adopt a posture and a poise I'm all to familiar. I'm my sister. This is loving natural to me.

Rolling Feathers: Trix, 10+1 = 11

Anne really likes to hang out at Mr. Hill's toolshed when she needs splace, so that's where we usually meet. It's a little ways off from the school itself, so less likely to run into my sister there. I make a brisk pace, crossing from one side of the campus to another. I just gotta make sure I don't see Maggie; she usually eats out for lunch with her cheerleader friends, but I can't take any risk.

The shed comes right within view. I hope I didn't leave Anne waiting too long. I already get a text from her, but it's probably just her asking where I am. I'm already pretty close, just let me round this cor-

"Oh!" I abruptly stop. Of course, I would run into him before I'm even ready.

drat, sorry Anne, but I gotta jump into this while I can.

"Oh... hey, River." I say, brushing back my hair. "Sorry about that thing with Linda earlier, that got weird."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

Take a string on Jamie. :P

Oh my god, he's smiling at me. And he has his hand on my shoulder. I can feel a tingle just from his touch. Or maybe it's static. Focus, focus, Maggie, he's asking you something. Just say, um, just say...

"I was... looking for you, actually!"

Can't really come up with a better excuse than that. I take a breath and recompose the thoughts in my head.

"I just wanted to say that I thought about you said and yeah, I'll be there for the party. It'd be nice if I could get a friend to go with me, and I was wondering... if it's not too late, if you knew anyone else still available. Anyone that isn't Rob, no offense."

With a smile, I take his hand off my shoulder in a way that our hands clasp one another for a brief few seconds. Just long enough for him to notice.

"Oh! Who were you planning to go with, by the way?" Smooth segue, there.

Turning River on: Trix, 8+1 = 9.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"...Really?" I blink in genuine surprise. "I mean, I wouldn't mind, but..."

Uh, okay, maybe I should have expected this. I mean, he was talking to my sister about the party back in homeroom, but I didn't realize... what do I do? I mean, Maggie's not in a good place right now, and I don't want to take this away from her. On the other hand, River is asking me out to the party.

I take River's hand again.

"You know what? I'd love that." I say, holding his hand tight. "You know, just friends, right? But if you want to go with me..."

I suddenly become acutely aware of the sounds of commotion exploding right behind River. And I just Anne walk out of it like she's gone through seven layers of hell. And I swear I hear my sister shouting.

"Oh my god." I say, immediately follow Anne, "unintentionally" pulling River along with me as well. Away from my sister and whatever just happened there. "What happened to you?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"We really should take you there, at least." I say, agreeing with River. "I can't let you go like this."

Especially with the possibility that this is my fault.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"Yes, you do!"

I let go of River, urging him to follow. Then I run up to help support Anne before she collapses or something. She's not going to get far on her own like this, what is she thinking?

"I'm sorry, Anne. This is my fault, I just know it is." I say to her, just in a voice low enough for her to hear. Look, I do a lot of shady things to keep my secrets, but I don't want my friends hurt over this. I don't want to be that kind of person. "Just... let me take care of the wounds, at least." I go on, giving her a pleading look. "Please."

Spending a string to place "Vulnerable" on Anne; Jamie shows their concern to make Anne more receptive to sexy first aid.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"Holy poo poo." That sounds a little weird when it's not my voice saying it. I don't really know what really going on between her and Collins, but poo poo that sounds bad. "Yeah, okay, I get it. Just hold on to me."

I don't dare turn my head around. Not when Maggie could be walking this way.

"I'll take you to the showers, patch you up with that first aid kit. We'll worry about what to do from there."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

Maggie's fine. I am Maggie, right now.

I help her with her jacket, gingerly pulling it off her body. I drape the jacket back over her body, since it looks she's feeling cold.

"Let me look at that." I say, moving to check out her hand. Jesus, look at that. It's all hosed up. I'm too busy staring at how bad this looks, that I don't realize how uncomfortably close I sitting next to Anne right now.

I turn my gaze back at her. "Where were you planning to go, like this?"

This seems like the wrong right time to turn Anne on: Trix, 7+1 = 8

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"Uh... yeah, sure." Yeah, even I can't stop blushing at the thought. Like, uh, it's nowhere the first time I've been in this locker room when it's busy (as Maggie! usually). And you think I would feel less anxious about this. But what do you want me to say? Anne wants me to help her out of her clothes. And looking at the mirror makes me suddenly aware of how close we are to each other. And how long I've been holding on to her hands.

I awkwardly let go, then focus on carefully getting her shirt off. I... you know, Anne's actually really cute. If only she could stop getting into brawls half the time.

"Look, I'm not gonna stop you from going to Linda or- aaah." I sorta have to turn away from what might be the sign of a broken rib. I've... never been able to handle this sort of thing well. "Like, I don't know anything about visions or stuff like that." I don't really believe in visions, but didn't believe in magic before, either. "Just... take care of yourself, please."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

I shyly back away as soon as Zoe and Matt come in. They really know how to come in at an awkward time, do they?

"Sorry, she was kinda stressing out and..." I don't even know how to explain this away, so I won't. While Ortiz finishes patching Anne up, I move towards River. "Thanks." I tell him.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

Okay, no way I'm going to complain about my position right now. I throw River an odd look, at least, just so it doesn't seem too obvious that I like this.

I don't really know what to do about Anne at this point. She's just going to talk to Linda, right? I don't have to follow her to if she's going to jump into another fight? Okay, good. I just hope she takes what I said to heart.

"So yeah, about tonight..." I say, smiling back to River. I lead him out of the locker room, of course. Poor dear looks so awkward just being in here. "What time should I expect you?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take that EXP!

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"Yeah, that's fine."

poo poo. Did I really say that?

"Hey, lunch's almost done. I'll see you at eight, then?" Wait, no.

I break away from River shortly after that, before I say something worse. I make sure to switch back to my old clothes before the class bell rings. Cursing to myself all the way.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. How am I going to do this?

Okay... think, Jamie. I can handle family. My parents don't really do the Halloween thing and would rather pretend that no one's home than open themselves up to trick or treaters. And my grandparents leave the TV really loud and won't notice me come and go. I'm more worried about Maggie. She plans to leave by eight. And I know she takes her sweet time dressing up and everything, but I can't risk her seeing me being her. I need to convince her to leave the house a little later. But I can't just walk up to her like this and tell her to leave the house an hour la-

Wait. Yes, I can. Wasn't Linda supposed to get rid of Maggie's boyfriend for her? If I use that as an excuse, I can convince Maggie to do anything I want. Yeah, that makes sense. I just need to drop by the locker room again, get those clothes, and meet up with Maggie before she goes home.

I nod to myself as I get back to class. Now, I just need to figure which of Maggie's old halloween costumes I could throw for myself.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I don't want to risk changing in a crowded locker room this time, so I slip away from class a little earlier than usual. I just make an excuse and sneak off with my bag. No one bothers to check for me, so yeah. I get out of the locker rooms with a new set clothes and change in a restroom at the other side of the campus. Just be sure.

Okay, so I'm really lucky I got away with both Linda's clothes and her glasses, because I'm not sure how I could have pulled this off otherwise. I mean, my eyes are only a little worse off than her's, but it's enough of a difference that I can't use my own glasses over her. I still get surprised on how much I can imitate someone with just their clothes. Physically, at least. Personality-wise? Well, I watch Linda enough that I think I can play this right. I just have to act self-important and talk about tea. Done deal.

By the time I get out of the stall, it's after school bell and I'm feeling a lot prettier again. So, I know that Maggie passes by the gym around this time to meet up with her squad. They don't practice every day, but they do hold these after-school meetings for a few minutes to make plans and stuff. I should be able to catch her before she finishes.

And I better hurry too, because I need to plan my own costume out of Maggie's stuff.

Rolling Feathers: Trix, 8+1 = 9. I'll pick "the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone".

Mitama fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 27, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Godfish and I went through this in one post so I can catch up.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

• Sure enough as you head around the outside of the gym you can see Maggie's cheer group heading off in different directions. You made it just in time, and once she spots you she heads your way. Maggie greets you with a smile, but you know her well enough to see that she's putting on a brave face to cover that she's fairly upset. Probably the whole Rob thing still.
_____

"Hello, again." I start, summoning all I know about Linda into my presentation. "You shouldn't have to worry about Rob, he should be dealt with." I'm assuming that Linda's actually good on her word, so I can say this with confidence.
_____

• Maggie beams at you, her troubles momentarily forgotten, and leans in to give you a tight hug. "I knew I could count on you!" When she pulls back she still seems troubled, but much more genuinely happy than she was before.
_____

I return the hug. I mean, I take a lot of hugs from my sister. And Linda shouldn't look awkward at a moment like this.

"But I want to make doubly sure he doesn't come limping back looking for you. Would it be alright if you came in... say, at least an hour or so late?" I smile. "Just so I can make sure that it's all clear for you. And you can come in with a fashionably late entrance, I know your costume will be wonderful."

Trying to manipulate Maggie here: Trix, 3 +1 = 4. Nope!
_____

• Maggie frowns for a moment, then eventually nods. "Yeah, that'll work. I don't want that jerk to show up and ruin everything. Let me know once you've scoped it out though, okay?"
_____

"Yeah, sure..." Okay, that might be tricky. I don't have Linda's phone or anything. Should I borrow it during the party? Or maybe dress up as Linda and call on the phone in Cody's house? I file that in my head. "So, heading home already?"
_____

• Maggie nods and turns to look towards the parking lot, "I've got a little bit more work to do on the costume, but its almost done."
_____

I nod back. I should probably probe a bit. "Did you consider going with anyone?"
_____

• She gives a slightly brittle laugh, and some of the upset from before is back at the subject of dates, "yeah, but I'm going to keep my options open. See if anyone catches my eye at the party. What about you?"
_____

"About the same. You know me." I grin back. I feel like I'm poking a sleeping beast here. But I need to cover my bases. "I know I got off wrong with River this morning, but he's not a bad guy. He might be interested." I wink.
_____

• Maggie rolls her eyes exaggeratedly, but you know she's thought about it. "Maaaaybe, but it'd be a bit awkward with him being Rob's brother to do anything this soon. You might have a chance if you didn't keep biting his head off though."
_____

"I can't help it." I look straight at Maggie. Gotta keep her trust. So somehow, both of my hands find hers. "I have to take care of you, after all."

Being terrible and rolling Hot here: Trix, 9 +1 = 10.
_____

• Your eyes lock for a moment, then Maggie flushes bright red and hastily turns away, pulling her hands from yours. "Y-yeah, thanks." She takes a few steps towards the parking lot then turns back to give you a confused smile. "I'll see you at the party then!" She hurries off, leaving you to get back into your own skin to head home.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 28, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I catch the scent of Grandma's cooking even from here in the storage room. The scent of shrimp dumpling soup could travel pretty much anywhere, I'm telling you.

I love to eat, but I'm pressed for time and I need to set up a costume before River comes over. I look through the boxes that Maggie owns (blue labels are mine, pink labels are hers, jesus gently caress) and find parts of fairy costumes I can frankenstein with some other things to make something pretty. I think I'll go with something that shouts out "fairy queen". Would River like that? He's so dainty, we would make a great pair no matter what he goes as.

I do need to try it on for size, so I make sure to lock the door and check out my costume with the old mirror stashed in here. Yeah, this will do. This will do great.

Now, how am I going to slip out like this without Maggie noticing?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 5/5

I really don't have much before- gently caress, I hear the doorbell.

Alright. The TV's on loud at the living room, as I thought. Treehouse of Horror number something. My parents are watching that with my little sister, Suzie (it is a family ritual at this point). My grandparents are taste-tasting dinner at the kitchen. If they answer River, I'm dead. If they catch me answering the door to River, with a different costume than what Maggie has, I'm dead.

"Don't bother getting up!" I say out loud, hopefully not loud enough for Maggie to hear upstairs. "It's Linda, she's just returning something she borrowed!"

I hope that works! I answer the front door right away.

"Hey!" I greet River, quickly closing the door behind me. We don't much in the way of Halloween decorations up in front, so the most interesting thing around here is hopefully me. Me and my Queen Mab costume. I swish my hair and wink, showing off my elaborate, sparkly makeup. I've been getting good at applying this on myself.

"Should we go?" Hopefully I distract him enough to hide how much of rush I am to get out of here.

Turning River on: Trix, 7+1 = 8

EDIT: Also feathers??? Trix, 7+1 = 8. I'll let the magic dissipate when I lash out.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 4, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take my advance for another Skin move: A Little Bird Told Me

quote:

A Little Bird Told Me
When you blab vicious lies about someone behind their back, roll with cold. On a 10 up, give them a Condition. • On a 7-9, give them a Condition, but some people don't believe you, so gain the Condition liar.

Also, I'll let River take a string on Jamie.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

He called me gorgeous.

I mean, he called Ma- gently caress, you know what? He called me gorgeous. Maggie wasn't the one who came in here with a Queen Mab outfit. Or worked all the effort to get a date with him. It was me. I'm loving beautiful tonight and I'm going to live it up.

Or at least live it up without overstepping my boundaries. I still need to take care I don't hurt my sister like this. I'm just friends with River here. Nothing more. Right? I try to keep that in mind, but I'm right next to him and...

God, is that Linda? She probably finds me and River together really confusing, after this morning. I need to keep my distance for now, but I also need to grab her phone at some point so I can take care of Maggie at home. She kind of expects Linda to call her soon to know if Rob is absolutely not here.

Okay, I turn around this way and hold on to River's arm, clinging even closer to him. "Hey, how about some drinks?"

Turning River on? Trix, 5+1 = 6. I'll spend the string I just got to make it a 7.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Sure, I'll mark experience.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

As we make it over to the drinks, I notice Anne take off with Maria and her goons and... gosh, I don't like the looks of that.

"Sure, I'd like to hav-"

Oh geez, Linda. Of course she follows us. And she want to blow my cover, too? I expected this, though.

"Thanks, Linda." I reply, then gesture at my own dress. "Yeah, my little sister spilled her acrylics on the dress when I got home." A shrug. "Had to throw together something new at the last minute. I hope it isn't too bad."

I scoop up my own cup of punch, acting very carefully as I do so. If I'm nervous about Linda not buying that story, I hope it doesn't come out on my face.

Quoting my Shredding the Looking Glass move for Linda:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
• tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
• or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Linda bought it! She even complimented my dress!

And I wish I could have basked in that a little longer. This is coming from this morning, is it? I wish they could stop sniping at each other for even an hour.

"Hey River, that's enough." I say, tugging his arm. Not for Linda's sake, but for Maggie's. "Let's just have fun tonight, okay?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 10, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I keep Linda in mind as I down my punch. I gotta somehow fix things between these two.

For now? I just want to have fun. The song over the speakers grabs me as well, as I take River's hand and his offer for a dance. "Yeah, sure."

I don't think I have a lot of time before Maggie actually comes over and messes things up. I'm Cinderella on a ballroom floor with my fairy prince charming. At some point, the clock will ring for me. I'll need to run away and leave him behind.

But for now, I'm going to dance.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

What the gently caress? Did Maggie do this? After what happened at lunch? Why would she send loving Maria Ricca after Anne? gently caress.

"Why would I set you up?" I say, sounding offended though I match her volume. Just loud enough that only she and River can hear. "I'm not that stupid. I..." I pause to take a look at Maria, looking even more like hell than usual. And I'm pretty sure I could see Anne at the far distance and still standing.

"...are you telling me you and your gang all went after her and she beat you up? How?"

I try to sound more alarmed than amused. But seriously, cheers for Anne for standing up to her.

Can I place "Weak" at Maria? :D

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

I... what? I tell her what she wants to hear, she just ups and takes my date. What is she, some kid who always wants everyone else's toys?

"What the he-" I mouth those words toward River, but he soon disappears into the dance floor. I stare at them blankly for a few seconds as they jump into the next song. River looks like he even enjoys it. gently caress this.

I shake my head and back, ending up back in the punch bowl table. I scoop up another glass, and almost wish someone has secretly spiked the drink because I need something hard to get over this right now. It's going to be just one dance, right? Right?

"Oooooh, did Maria just get one over you?"

I sigh audibly on the girl that walks up next to me. Melody Sanders, straight-A popular girl. Here to pick on some open wounds, I suppose. Not unless I act first.

"She's gone crazy." I say darkly, recomposing whatever dignity I have left. "She thinks I set her up, so she takes my date. Maybe she's feeling that someone's getting closer to finding out who set that weed on Andy Thompson's locker. She's seeing enemies everywhere."

I don't actually know if Andy was set up or whatever. But I'm not gonna let that get in the way of a good slander.

A Little Bird Told Me: Trix, 6+2 = 8. I'll give Maria the condition "Paranoid" but in turn Maggie gets the condition "Liar".

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"It's just what I heard. Don't take my word for it. Now, if you excuse me..."

I see River break off from that harpy, finally. I wave off the other girls and head back to the dance floor.

"I can't believe her. I don't know what she's talking about. loving Maria." Whatever. I come up and take River's hands again, moving close to him. "Come on, I can show you a better dance than she can."

Turning River on: 5+2 = 7

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"Yeah." I take his hand again, and I sip on the drink he so graciously offers me. "Yeah, I really am."

I can barely count the times I've been this happy. To wear something like this without anyone judging, to dance with River, to... this moment. I can't stop smiling. I just love this. I don't regret coming here.

I grasp his hand a little tighter. "I wish this could last forever."

Feels so cheesy to say it. But it's true.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"Oh."

poo poo. That is really tempting. I mean, not the shrooms part, but I get to hang out after the party?

But um, I don't think I should overstay my welcome. For one thing, I still need to get Maggie over here before she suspects something and and so I can get away cleanly. And... what time is it, anyway? Oh no. Oh no...

"I should probably head out soon." I say, apologetically. "I mean, I enjoyed everything, but my dad has me on the clock, you know?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

I smile.

"One more dance."

Don't tell me that I'm pushing it. There's no way I can get away with this ever again. I take his hand, lean in close, and give him a peck on the cheek.

"Come on, let's make it the best one!" Then I drag him back into the floor, just as the speakers blast out Get Lucky.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"I don't know what the gently caress you're on about!" I shout back, shaking off Linda's hold of me. "It's me. I'm Maggie."

Did I stall too long? Do I bail out of River now? gently caress, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I can't stay here anymore. I can see... something else in Linda's eyes. Something that tells me that she can swallow me whole if I let her.

"gently caress, what's wrong with you? I thought you were going to save my night, Linda." I say, still playing my part the best I can. "I'm out of here." And I try to stomp out of here as soon as I can, but I don't really see where I'm heading off. I'm hoping that's the exit in the other side of this crowd.

Jamie runs away! Trix, 9 -1 = 8.
I want to choose to run directly into something worse.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

Okay? This? Worst case scenario. The worst of worst.

There's only one real answer to a question like that.

"gently caress this."

And I bolt again. gently caress explosions, gently caress Linda, gently caress Maria. I need to take a cab before she keeps up with me in that car.

...Not easy to do with the Fairy Queen get up.

Run away? Trix, 6-1 = 5

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 28, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I can't

I can't let her see me like this

Not like this

gently caress no

Get off me Maggie

I get her hands off me, and I run faster. I let her hands bleed over every shard of my dress. I don't care. But she can't ever find me out.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Dammit. Dammit.

Why did I even think this was remotely a good plan? I shouldn't have left home like this, I shouldn't had tried to flirt with River, I shouldn't have....

...I shouldn't have been caught. Now I can't dress as Maggie anymore without anyone getting suspicious. And I'm going to look plenty suspicious, since I'm not the one with the cuts and the bleeding. God, I don't even understand that part of the magic. I guess that's how it protects me. It worked. Now I just hope Maggie's fine.

I have a poo poo load of thoughts to sort out. Let's start with finding something for my bare rear end.

It's loving cold and my extremities are freezing up. That's definitely a sign I'm not Maggie anymore.

I should probably find some clothes before I go home. Can you lead me somewhere, MC?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Jesus gently caress. Aileen?

Torn up. Almost as bad as Maggie. It's hard to watch. Holy poo poo. How bad is this night going to get?

I kinda give in at this point. My knees come down and I just throw up all the punch and food left in me. I can't take this. I can't.

...It feels cold again. Cold and lonely. I'm not gonna get far if I keep going rear end naked like this. On the other hand, stealing from a dead body?

Ugh. gently caress it, she's not going to complain.

Sorry, Aileen. But Jamie needs to disappear again for a bit. I'll make sure someone finds you, though.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

The blood will still show. It's blood, I guess. But Aileen's costume comes in a few layers, and the blood doesn't seep on the outer layers. I can twist around the costume a bit to make it look less obvious for now.

I'm not sure where I want to go. I certainly don't want to go home. Maggie's probably going straight to the emergency room and everyone at home will head to the hospital at the first word of it. I need a place to crash for now. Just loving rest for forget this poo poo for a moment.

I think I remember the way to Aileen's house. We did a school project in her place once. gently caress, she's really dead. Holy poo poo. I was just talking to her the other day and, and....

Ugh.

Maybe if I imagine her face for a bit. Then walk like she usually does. Maybe fix my hair a bit. There. That should work. She's not dead. She's walking home right now. Yes, I'm walking home.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Aileen Young
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I don't get much sleep. My mind still swims with awful images when I wake up, as I gasp for breath. My hands full of glass shards, cutting skin and bone while I painlessly scream. Reflections of Maggie bleeding on the street, Linda overlooking me with steam and fire, Maria drawing the knife on my back. My own self, naked and alone, laying on a pool of blood. Staring at myself with cold eyes. Just like Aileen.

Aileen... ugh, yeah, right. Reality. Get up.

I shake myself awake, groping my surroundings. Okay, this feels solid. This is Aileen's bed. I crashed on it a few hours ago. Her parents greeted me when I came in her house. They asked me if I had fun at the party. I don't remember what I said. I do remember their doberman barking at me like crazy, though. Aileen's dad chained him up when he almost tried to bite me. He smells something wrong, I know. Maybe he smells blood on the costume or just the person underneath the clothes

Either way, I can't stay here for long. I stand up, taking in the aroma of scented candle in my bathroom. Apparently, Aileen's mom lights one on each bathroom every night. It does make feel a bit better, even as I go through the awkward motions of reading the messages on phone. God, I still can't believe last night actually happened.

I don't really have an excuse for my family right now. So I reply to Anne instead.

Text to Anne posted:

Uh, yeah, I was. Things got really weird, though.
Not at home, though. Long story, really long story. Can we meet up?

I do this, while I check out Aileen's closet. I slept with the costume on, apparently. And um, I don't think she'll mind me borrowing things from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Aileen Young
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

Breakfast sounds good.

I text Anne to meet me in one of the three gas stops that still operate in Salvation. That should be several minutes away from this house if I jog. Then I add:

Text to Anne posted:

Uh, I had to borrow someone else's clothes so you might not recognize me at first.
Will explain later. I'll shout and wave if I see you.

I try not to send anything over the phone that could incriminate me later on. Hopefully that's enough for Anne to go by. God, she probably thought I was at River's house, not all the way here. Kind of not ready to, um, hit the bong with him just yet.

You know, I'm surprised that Aileen's closet actually has stuff that isn't embarrassingly nerdy. Behind the rack of puffer jackets, I find this set of very chic clothes hanging at the far back, straight out of last month's Vogue. The adorable winter coat catches my eye the most, fur-lined leather with matching boots. Why doesn't she wear more stuff like this to school? Didn't. Sorry, gently caress. It sucks I have to find out about her like this, when it's too late.

I discover a bunch of handwritten letters in the coat's pocket. I'm curious, but I don't have much time to read them. I pocket them for myself, then wear one of the puffer jackets and a scarf over some casual clothes. I pack the chic clothes inside an duffel bag I find on the side, along with some other outfit I find interesting. I feel bad, but I don't think Aileen's going to miss them much. And it isn't stealing if I'm also Aileen, right?

Hopefully I can sneak out of here without her parents (or that dog) noticing me.

• Locked thread