Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

TIL arbecht macht frei is stymie's creedo

marx or nazi context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well you look at their posts and decide

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

well you look at their posts and decide

ew. no way!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TIL arbecht macht frei is stymie's creedo

hey, gently caress you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
does that count as labour?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

does that count as labour?

they both involve a river of pig poo poo, understandable mistake

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how about instead of building a building

we build guillotines

just spitballing here

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'm not quoting stymie because they're a pedantic loving bellend but unsurprisingly competing against other people works a lot better re: beating your own records

as a rule my bike performance riding solo increases incrementally over X amount of time

but when i ride/race with a group of stronger riders (or even people i'm on par with), my performance is guaranteed to go up, and not incrementally

app idea: virtual bike races with other random users, but really the app just simulates the other users and the fake competitors will cheat mario kart-style to keep you on your toes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i dunno, maybe it's just me, but suggesting someone do some constructive work rather than just jog around for a few hours is comparable to putting them in a nazi work camp goes a wee bit beyond the pale

but hey if you're comfortable casually tossing around that sort of accusation, you do you i'm sure the actual nazis will appreciate your efforts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

app idea: virtual bike races with other random users, but really the app just simulates the other users and the fake competitors will cheat mario kart-style to keep you on your toes

There used to be a rowing machine that did this, there was a screen and you rowed against other boats. Sometimes a helicopter would drop off more rowers or a shark would eat some.

It was a good and fun rowing machine.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

check out zwift, makes using a trainer in the winter not suck a bag of dicks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

There used to be a rowing machine that did this, there was a screen and you rowed against other boats. Sometimes a helicopter would drop off more rowers or a shark would eat some.

It was a good and fun rowing machine.

the concept 2 at the Y does this. though i haven't seen the shark or helicopter yet

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

human uber only slightly less disturbing than the centipede variant

did the tesla just start backing up completely on its own, or is that some lovely remote autopilot feature that hosed up?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

watchdogs 3 looking good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

human uber only slightly less disturbing than the centipede variant

did the tesla just start backing up completely on its own, or is that some lovely remote autopilot feature that hosed up?

Why not both?

note that the rear wheels are completely locked up; presumably the parking brake is still on as the front motor backs the thing across the street (and judging by the audio tries to keep backing after running into the trees)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, the joke is either that or something racist about how "They all look the same to me anyways, haw haw haw!"?

:shrug:

lol what

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
labor is actually bad hth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

Why not both?

note that the rear wheels are completely locked up; presumably the parking brake is still on as the front motor backs the thing across the street (and judging by the audio tries to keep backing after running into the trees)

almamalmalmllmao at running some fancy pushbutton e-brake but not interlocking it with the drive system lmfao

"Transmissions are stupid why would you want a single point of control"
loving elon musk

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

There are two possible jokes from that human-uber story: one about the surrogate from Arrested Development and a racist one about how (people of an ethnicity different from your own) all look the same to you.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/958378209061560320

Outsourcing jobs abroad for the purpose of punishing or discouraging union organizing, as opposed to a valid business reason, would violate the National Labor Relations Act.

“The issue that typically would come up is the employer would claim it had some legitimate business reason, or maybe it would claim we were planning to do it all along,” Wilma Liebman, who chaired the NLRB under President Obama, told Bloomberg Law.

Even if the company had intended to eventually move the work to Europe, it may have violated federal labor law by speeding up the process in response to the union drive, Liebman said.

“If jobs are about to be moved away, particularly if they’re about to be moved outside the country, you want to act fast to prevent that.”

Liebman said the case “will be a test” for Robb, a former management attorney who was appointed by President Donald Trump and confirmed by the Senate last fall. Worker advocates will likely be watching whether the labor board’s top prosecutor is willing to intervene in order to keep U.S. jobs from being outsourced.

“That typically has been one of the measures of how committed a board or a general counsel is to rigorous enforcement of the law,” said Liebman. “Certainly the case is one overall which will be a reflection of the views of this general counsel about the statute.”

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
crunchbase says that they only have 11-50 peeps
which would indicate about 30 engineers tops, probably deffo more like 15
which would indicate lol, no more engineers, actually

have fun not developing any more software i guess

switching all your devs to different ones: also a hilariously idiot idea
not even taking into account the union idiocy, which they will prolly get away with but will probably lead to their inability to hire anyone decent

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

and a racist one about how (people of an ethnicity different from your own) all look the same to you.

not really no that is not a possible joke from that story you weirdo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/amandawgolden/status/958428470480113666

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

move fast break (other people's) things: massive liability nightmare allows people to share access to their heavy equipment with strangers on the internet, on their own property

quote:

Obviously liability seems like it may be a big issue, here, since we’re dealing with heavy machinery. Andrew—the sole founder and financier of the company—admits this, and says there isn’t a solution in place yet

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

liability skipping rent seeking marketplaces all the way down

~entrepreneurship~

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

“Tons of prostitution and fighting every night ... you couldn’t pay me to stay here again,” read one comment. Another said, “We felt unsafe walking across the street, and we live in New York City!” And: “Homeless man tried to stuff drugs in my pockets outside and tried to sell them to me.”

Fuckin pussies

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

There are two possible jokes from that human-uber story: one about the surrogate from Arrested Development and a racist one about how (people of an ethnicity different from your own) all look the same to you.

wtf, are you an idiot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

Drivers lawfully operating their vehicles cannot be held liable for accidents caused by unexpected hazards. Just as you wouldn't blame a driver for crashing into an asteroid that lands in front of them you wouldn't blame them for hitting any other random object that doesn't belong in the roadway such as a bicycle.

this depends on the state

in many states you are indeed liable for hitting a pedestrian or a cyclist, even if it is ostensibly the pedestrian or cyclist's fault.

you are the one in the two ton metal shell with power steering and high grade brakes, ergo it is incumbent on you, the driver, to protect more vulnerable road users, even when they are using the road incorrectly.

since maine is a rural state full of old people it's probably perfectly legal to just run people over because they were in the way, but that is not universally the case

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
otoh china's "biggest vehicle has the right of way" rules are p hilarious too in a mad max kinda way

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since maine is a rural state full of old people it's probably perfectly legal to just run people over because they were in the way
what if that person is stephen king?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

what if that person is stephen king?

then it's practically mandatory

if you survive you get a special edition vanity plate featuring "christine"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if google, but healthcare?

bonus: it's in canadar, so basically it's backdoor privatization of our public system, something we've been fighting against for years

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Liebman said the case “will be a test” for Robb, a former management attorney who was appointed by President Donald Trump and confirmed by the Senate last fall. Worker advocates will likely be watching whether the labor board’s top prosecutor is willing to intervene in order to keep U.S. jobs from being outsourced.

is this going to happen before or after Columbia appeals to get trump's NRLB to reverse the grad student union

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what if google, but healthcare?

bonus: it's in canadar, so basically it's backdoor privatization of our public system, something we've been fighting against for years

how popular’s single payer up there with the masses?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

very.

tbh, most service providers are private, but they can't charge for preferential access and they have to play by the province's rules. private clinics can't accept patients through the public system.

so as long as they're willing to follow ohip regs they're fine, but this being google, and their whole "vision" document being based on "we need to be free to do whatever we want", i'm not optimistic

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Schadenboner posted:

hahahaha WHAT

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
me anytime I hear something that might have a "joke" in there: Do I go with racism, or rick and morty reference? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

por que no los dos?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

very.

tbh, most service providers are private, but they can't charge for preferential access and they have to play by the province's rules. private clinics can't accept patients through the public system.

so as long as they're willing to follow ohip regs they're fine, but this being google, and their whole "vision" document being based on "we need to be free to do whatever we want", i'm not optimistic

i just checked and brian day's lawsuit from 200goddamned9 still isn't resolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tetramin posted:

me anytime I hear something that might have a "joke" in there: Do I go with racism, or rick and morty reference? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Locked thread