Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

for context: theres a wage-fixing scandal going on at pixar, dreamworks, and sony among others

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's animators specifically, the exact people this pamphlet is for

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

haha wow

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just caught up. lmao

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Maximum Leader posted:

in my village we have problem

and that problem is transport

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

what are you some kind of communist or something? we don't regulate bottled water prices, ergo the free market works

no worries, uber sets their price arbitrarily too. even if there are laws regulating fair taxi prices (lol what), which they ignore because disruption

the prices aren't arbitrary at all, they're set by a perfect algorithm that carries out the will of the invisible hand

all hail the algorithm

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Leck posted:

i heard a commercial for uber drivers on the radio this morning. they're guaranteeing $5000 in your first month.

does it include the words "own your own small business"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Waroduce posted:

From the last thread

loving lol why do people work like this? Like wtf. I sell enterprise software, I started up and down the street selling loving copiers right after college. Im under 25 and over six figures. Im good at sales, I would never ever go in for this bullshit. Manager took my chair? The gently caress is this high school?

Some amateur hour bullshit

Smh

Reading this thread is loving nuts, tech 'culture' is so hosed and divorced from reality im just :catstare: the entire time I read this thread. I just don't get it.

six figgies :eyepop:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Supreme Court rules against workers in warehouse security case

WASHINGTON -- Workers don’t have a federal right to be paid for time spent in post-shift security searches, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a decision that will help Amazon.com Inc. fend off lawsuits seeking more than $100 million.

The justices unanimously rejected claims by former Amazon warehouse workers against the company that staffs many of the online retailer’s facilities. The case centered on the reach of federal wage laws.

The ruling, which comes in the middle of the retail industry’s busy holiday season, may shield other companies as well as Amazon. Apple Inc., CVS Health Corp., J.C. Penney Co., TJX Cos. and Ross Stores Inc. are all battling similar cases involving either distribution centers or stores.

Companies say screening is a valuable tool to guard against theft. Employees say what’s being stolen is their time.

In the case before the court, Jesse Busk and Laurie Castro said workers in two Nevada warehouses had to spend as much as 25 minutes after their shifts waiting to pass through metal detectors. Amazon disputes that characterization.

Amazon wasn’t directly involved in the Supreme Court case, which concerned its staffing company, Integrity Staffing Solutions Inc.

mother fuckers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Integrity Staffing Solutions

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

every time i see any posts about amazon warehouses & ~integrity staffing solutions~ i have to post this http://articles.mcall.com/2011-09-18/news/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917_1_warehouse-workers-heat-stress-brutal-heat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there's plenty of poor white people working in warehouses too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

employees at the walmart jewelry-specific distribution center are not allowed to wear any jewelry, including wedding bands, and are weighed, metal detected and backscattered on the way out the door

jesus loving christ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol weighed, like your weight doesn't fluctuate multiple pounds a day and some lovely ring is going to tip the scales

probably just a scare tactic, which when you think about it is kinda worse

that's how little they think of their employees' intelligence

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Fabricated posted:

until i can plug computer chips into my brain and properly escape this gay earth its not a proper cyberpunk dystopia tyvm :colbert:
we're close

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

A woman in London said she was sexually harassed by an Uber driver who asked if she liked blow jobs and offered to pull down a side street and perform "sucky sucky" on her during her route.

The unidentified woman, who shared emails of her exchange with Uber about the incident with Newsweek, described the March encounter as scary. According to Newsweek, she first contacted Uber after the hellish ride telling the company "Driver was very forward and quite creepy. Asked me if I wanted him to go down on me. Not cool."

A marketing manager who responded to her complaint via email apologized, referring to the incident with the driver as an "intrusive experience." The marketing manager then told her the company was "already investigating this with [the driver] and I can assure you that the necessary actions will be taken to avoid a similar incident in future." The email she received from the company concluded with a thank you to her from bringing the issue to their attention. "[While] painful to hear, it's the best way for us to address any incidents like this," it stated.

She then received another response from a different Uber representative, which said the company was "shocked" to learn about her experience. According to Newsweek, the email stated "while things like this should definitely not happen in the first place, in the unlikely event that they do occur we have the full details of the driver, trip and rider on our systems so that we can immediately investigate any concerns raised."

The company then offered her a £20 ($31) credit, signing the email "Sorry again for such an un-Uber experience."

I see nothing "un-uber" about this experience

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

autist in residence

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm "p sure" you can use your own phone for uber. i'm in two beta tests that let me install iphone apps from websites and i have no idea how that poo poo works. i don't even remember giving anybody my iphone uuid

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

where the gently caress did valleywag go

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol, the next tweet says rides out of the area will be free, because that's how much they care

posted a half hour later

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao check out the replies to the original

Dame Maureen Chuck ‏@Dame_hohohchuck 1h1 hour ago
@Uber_Sydney Fares have increased to $100 minimum fare. How do you justify that? Way to ensure public won't see you as viable option to cabs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here's the real headline: Uber unfairly attacked over surge pricing during Sydney terror attack

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the number of amateur economist tech bros white knighting uber online is staggering

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

r u seeking 2 become fully delitized

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool another app to solve a problem i don't have :smith:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

UGH

where am I gonna get my schadenfreude fix now t:mad:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

8.8.8.8 there i just brought freedom to china :smug:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

biodegradable disposable plates have been the hot poo poo for years now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

according to wikipedia the remaining greenpeace deny that so :shrug:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hello old friends. i have something for you. http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2014/12/24/inadvertent-algorithmic-cruelty/

quote:

I didn’t go looking for grief this afternoon, but it found me anyway, and I have designers and programmers to thank for it. In this case, the designers and programmers are somewhere at Facebook.

I know they’re probably pretty proud of the work that went into the “Year in Review” app they designed and developed, and deservedly so—a lot of people have used it to share the highlights of their years. Knowing what kind of year I’d had, though, I avoided making one of my own. I kept seeing them pop up in my feed, created by others, almost all of them with the default caption, “It’s been a great year! Thanks for being a part of it.” Which was, by itself, jarring enough, the idea that any year I was part of could be described as great.

Still, they were easy enough to pass over, and I did. Until today, when I got this in my feed, exhorting me to create one of my own. “Eric, here’s what your year looked like!”

A picture of my daughter, who is dead. Who died this year.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I mean, did he think this company was just letting him have free web hosting and instant messaging? OF course they're going to reduce you to stats. this is why i left fb, i had more "I don't want this mined" stuff than "I don't care if this is mined" stuff. i know it's got an extra twist the knife thing due to his child, but i don't really think this is worth impassioned Blog Posts. Just shut down your FB.

lol, I wasn't going to go through the comments but I'm glad somebody did

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Blue Train posted:

you can pay for facebook? what do you get

more eyeballs on your facebook posts

when facebook says they use their algorithms to curate your feed to show you what you're most interested in, they're just making it possible to hold page's posts for ransom

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

of course if you only follow pages that you actually want to see updates from, this makes facebook totally useless. but you don't pay for facebook, so who cares what you think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

it isn't about getting mad at the computer for being rude so much as a bunch of tone-deaf coders who are trying to create a one-size fits all approach to their user base because they're thinking of Facebook users as walking collections of data and not millions of individual human beings, some of whom may have had a terrible year

and yeah this

if you want people to use facebook as their primary communication means then you're going to have a lot of this poo poo to deal with. plus the guy's a dev too so he was also posting about it from that angle, this wasn't just some whiny tumblr post

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

burgatory is in pittsburgh.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kalstrams posted:

I'm not sure that piece of meat of a size of a Big Mac is less healthy than a regular Big Mac, but I'm not eating doctor.

plz post ur cholesterol levels

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

i have no idea why my cholesterol is but my bp is 90/47.

what the gently caress kind of european units is this in

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

double that, and you got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Thesoro posted:

"shake shack?!" yospos burgs in the door and just keeps burging, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. it burgs against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling it's trying to say something to you but it's burging at such a high velocity you just can’t quite make it out. as it finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear it exclaim "five guys is overrated, that’s what’s so CRAZY about this" on the way down

lol

• Locked thread