Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

Discussing your salary with other employees is the only correct thing to do if you believe in a level playing field for labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

daft punk railroad posted:

do companies with official policies against discussing salaries know that that's illegal or do they just not give a poo poo

They can fire you for wearing ugly shoes or for no reason at all, at will employment bitch lol

Apr 7, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

for context: theres a wage-fixing scandal going on at pixar, dreamworks, and sony among others

lol

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i had trouble believing that pet rent was a widespread and normalized thing until we got here

we're lucky to merely be paying $60/month for a 14 lb terrier

I'm paying an extra $50 a month for two cats, it's a thing here too.

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i've had to pay extra deposits and fees but never actually pet rent in SF/Berkeley.

one time it was a 500 deposit and a 500 fee (got the 500 deposit back) and the other was a 200 deposit, which i got back.

current place, no deposit/fee/rent or even Pet Resumes probably because I'm not breeding pitbulls

lol, my deposit for having cats is $999 on top of my security deposit of $1999

Apr 7, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

drat how bad is your credit that it wasn't jsut waived?

What do you mean? It's non-negotiable, my credit score is in the low 700s.

I've never heard of anyone in Pennsylvania not paying a security deposit.

Apr 7, 2003

Pennsylvania passed a law at some point setting a limit for security deposit sizes, which means in practice that all landlords just charge the absolute maximum amount they're allowed to by law at all times. Sometimes you'll see "MOVE-IN SPECIAL, $200 SECURITY DEPOSIT" poo poo but they're always shady apartment complexes that look like soviet tenement blocks.

Apr 7, 2003

Farecoal posted:

post your cats

Maybe later

Apr 7, 2003

most of the places i rented in az and tx waived security deposit if your credit was good enough

Yeah, that doesn't happen here, everyone pays a security deposit because loving tenants out of it after the lease is up is grand sport here.

Apr 7, 2003

wild. house rentals generally require first+last months rent, but it's incredibly common out here as far as i can tell

Yeah, nobody here does first + last month, it's just first month + security deposit (almost always two months rent).

Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i moved into my place in downtown seattle with no deposit and really not too many fees. only one months rent too, no first + last

When we moved in here we stroked a check for $3750 or so, first month's rent + security deposit + cat deposit

Apr 7, 2003

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

Apr 7, 2003

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

Apr 7, 2003

kwinkles posted:

i have rented a couple places that had a 300-500 refundable pet deposit and didn't charge any extra rent. anything else just seems like charging for no reason. if there is damage to the apartment, keep the deposit. if you have a well behaved pet the worst you're gonna do is maybe get charged 50-100 of the deposit for steam cleaning some carpets and cleaning dog/cat smell out of an A/C duct.

I don't even have A/C ducts, this is radiator heat.

Apr 7, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

nice. be sure to call your landlord a bithc while you're at it.

Why would I do that?

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

you're a hard-working american

try to throw that in his face if u get the chance ever lol

"I work too hard for you to keep my money when I could put it to work for me."

Apr 7, 2003

kwinkles posted:

the danger with rental apartments is that people don't replace the aircon filter. when i rented i used to turn on the AC and smell the air coming out of the register, then turn on the heater and smell the air. sometimes you get a huge whiff of someone's gross dog smell.

i like dogs, but dog smell in vacuums and air conditioning systems is the worst.

Oh yeah, I don't even have that. This place only has ~100 square feet of carpet too, just a hallway upstairs.

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

you're doing god's work tori

I'm not going to report the guy to the IRS because what that guy in the CJS thread said made sense, but I will ask for my money back. Anything I get back now is less I have to take him to court for in July.

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

wait what?

is this after the appeal time runs out

That's when my lease is up and I'm assuming he's going to try to nickel and dime me for carpet tacks and shower curtains. If I get a thousand dollars back from my deposit now, that's less that he can try to gently caress with me over.

The settlement is still good as far as I know, he hasn't appealed that and he has a deadline of 12/18. That's a separate sum entirely.

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i missed that, but holy poo poo that would be an amazingly unpleasant thing to do to the guy.

i could see him actually killing you after that

I've never asked him to do anything more than his legal responsibility.

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

i like how you just keep loving with him now - not that you are out of your rights to get your deposit back now or anything, for sure take what is yours it'd be stupid not to - but just the passion in which you locked onto this guy to do nothing but torture him using his own assholedness against him is funny as heck

Every time I turn around, he's doing something else wrong.

Apr 7, 2003

It's like a poop emoji made up of smaller poop emoji.

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

my big question above everything else is just... if he owns 75 properties or whatever it was, why doesn't he just hire a management company to take care of poo poo like garbage disposals. i mean, i thought it was a part of doing business once you got above like 2 properties, but what do i know

He is smarter than everyone else. Everyone else is too stupid to be trusted with his assets.

This is a real thing with people who are smart or who think they're smart, doctors are notorious for trying to manage their own practices with poor results.

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

i was raised with a heavy dose of "you are smart but the smartest thing of all is to know what you don't know"

it always baffles me when people don't get this fact, because at the end of the day, intelligent delegation is super, super super worth it every time 100 out of 100 times

My landlord is a straight up Ron Paul Libertarian who blogs for an extremist Libertarian site that hates Rand Paul because he "compromises." He has no understanding of how the real world works.

Apr 7, 2003

Farecoal posted:

he was the guy who showed up for court with no lawyer and atlas shrugged right

Yeah, he told the landlord he was a "hard-working American", like those sovereign citizens who think they just need to know the right combination of magic words.

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i think part of it is pride.

He better pride my fuckin' check over

Apr 7, 2003

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the luxury apartments are pretty bullshit but as a plus they put a cap on what other landlords can charge for their shitheaps.

other landlords slap a coat of paint on their ramshackle tenements and install whatever new countertop Home Depot has on sale this week and charge exactly what the luxury people are charging.

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

my cousin had an apt in queens and the balcony was 6 inches of bird poo poo

so that's where my posts have been going! lol

Apr 7, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

one of my favorite bars has a bar cat. sit on a little heating blanket in the corner, occasionally get pets. scruffy little thing :3:

your bar has rats and mice lol

Apr 7, 2003

The guy in front of me on the train is reading an article about how Citi has added a few billion dollars to their "Penalty Fund" to pay fines in case the government tells them they broke the law again. Isn't that a tacit admission that thet intend to keep breaking the law? lol

Apr 7, 2003

Supreme Court rules against workers in warehouse security case

WASHINGTON -- Workers don’t have a federal right to be paid for time spent in post-shift security searches, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a decision that will help Amazon.com Inc. fend off lawsuits seeking more than $100 million.

The justices unanimously rejected claims by former Amazon warehouse workers against the company that staffs many of the online retailer’s facilities. The case centered on the reach of federal wage laws.

The ruling, which comes in the middle of the retail industry’s busy holiday season, may shield other companies as well as Amazon. Apple Inc., CVS Health Corp., J.C. Penney Co., TJX Cos. and Ross Stores Inc. are all battling similar cases involving either distribution centers or stores.

Companies say screening is a valuable tool to guard against theft. Employees say what’s being stolen is their time.

In the case before the court, Jesse Busk and Laurie Castro said workers in two Nevada warehouses had to spend as much as 25 minutes after their shifts waiting to pass through metal detectors. Amazon disputes that characterization.

Amazon wasn’t directly involved in the Supreme Court case, which concerned its staffing company, Integrity Staffing Solutions Inc.

Apr 7, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

more info on that - the ruling was unanimous, and it's mostly because labor laws already say you don't get paid for stuff like that

I may be a loving idiot who doesn't understand anything, but I'd figure that if my boss is making me do a thing and I have to do that thing to have my job, my boss should be paying me for that time.

Apr 7, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

should you get paid for the time spent commuting to the office

unironically yes. I do.

Apr 7, 2003

Not paying for time an employee spends going through loss prevention is an explicit admission that you believe your employee's time is worthless.

Apr 7, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

it is not an analogy. it is the legal standard established by congress. us labor law does not give a poo poo about reimbursing you for travel to or from the office

Going through a security checkpoint owned by your employer, on your employer's property, as a condition of employment, is not the same as "traveling to and from the office." Under that standard I shouldn't be paid for walking to or from the restroom or kitchen because I'm traveling to or from my office.

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

apparently you've had pretty good jobs youre whole life lol

When I was 22-27 I worked at a medical answering service / call center. I was told that I wouldn't be paid for restroom time, so the next day when the office manager came in she asked me why I was sitting on a waste basket and I told her that I had to do what it takes. She didn't bother me about restroom breaks again.

Apr 7, 2003

Awia posted:

p lol you treat half your population like second rate citizens

this isn't even an open secret, Americans love treating each other like poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Yes, Uber drivers are munching rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

lol @ u defending h p because you're also a rich fuckoid from the south

except where hp's racism and wealth-flaunting is cheeky and fun, etc etc supertroopers you're the fatass everyone hates.

hahaha yeah, you're so much better as an oblivious doctor's son from another country that moved to the most expensive city in North America for fun

• Locked thread