Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sony has not had a good couple of weeks. On November 24th, hackers broke into its computer networks and found behind-the-scenes drama e-mails of executives, employee complaints, sensitive financial documents, in-production scripts, and hilariously terrible powerpoints.

As Gawker and the like continue to comb through the 40 GBs of files, new revelations continue to come out. For instance, execs Amy Pascal and Scott Rudlin shared a fun little racist email exchange about Barack Obama:

quote:

Pascal: What should I ask the president at this stupid Jeffrey [Katzenberg] breakfast?
Rudin: Would he like to finance some movies.
Pascal: I doubt it. Should I ask him if he liked DJANGO?
Rudin: 12 YEARS.
Pascal: Or the butler. Or think like a man? [sic]
Rudin: Ride-along. I bet he likes Kevin Hart.

One of the more fun ones that's been getting some attention on the forums is the Spider-Man clusterfuck. There have been rumors leaking out for months about Sony trying to figure out what to do with their sole current franchise.Will it be an animated comedy from Lord and Miller?Will they be working with Marvel in some capacity? Has Andrew Garfield already been fired?Now it looks like they're just going to go ahead and reboot the whole thing again. There is also word that Sony headquarters is pissed with how Spider-Man is being handled, and may re-open negotiations with Marvel.

And of course, there's The Interview, which may have motivated the attack from a political standpoint, and which Sony has been distancing themselves from. However, with all this buzz surrounding the film due to the leak, I suspect that may not be the plan anymore. Fingers crossed for not having a movie incite a war!

Today my favorite revelation is that Sony wanted to sue Bill Murray for not appearing in Ghostbusters 3. There really is just so much information out there now, and it doesn't seem like it's slowing down. So let's talk about how Jennifer Lawrence's e-mail address is peanutbutt, how Amy Pascal is probably on the chopping block, how Aaron Sorkin is broke, and how Angelina Jolie is a "minimally talented spoiled brat".

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Paul Reiser, sincere as they come http://gawker.com/the-saddest-email-paul-reiser-wants-more-mad-about-you-1668769519

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I'm really curious how Aaron Sorkin, who makes 5 million a movie and writes them concurrently alongside his HBO show, can be broke like to the point of not being able to afford his daughter's college tuition. I know cocaine is the gimmick response but I'm genuinely curious where all that money goes. That's Nicolas Cage levels of fiduciary recklessness.

It explains both of their work ethics though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Cage was gambling and buying castles and poo poo, right? You can lose money pretty fast in real estate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You forget about the Jump Street and Men In Black crossover by Lord & Miller. It's probably the best thing revealed by the leaks.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Nice, I was wondering when someone was going to make a thread. I think the greatest / saddest thing to come out so far was that terrible email regarding Spider-Man and the MCU.

"we need to be able to make sm movies"

They're so desperate to keep Spidey, but are still (probably) wondering why a lot of people have no faith in their vision. I love it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo's collaboration with Sony on a Mario movie can only end one way- with Nintendo pulling out halfway through to do something else, leaving Sony to push ahead with a product that dominates them for more than a decade.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
These leaks are really fascinating, in a trainwreck sort of way. It shouldn't be surprising how lost those execs are about most things, but somehow it is. The whole Spider-Man situation is really amazing. They have no idea what to do with it when in reality it should be one of the easiest characters to do.
I'd love to see a leak like this happen to Warner Bros. though, especially now that they are trying to build their own DC Universe; just to see how lost they are with it.
Also, making a Bond film with a 300+ million dollar budget, without a proper third act and under a year until the premiere when the shooting has just started seems promising. Is this really the norm of moviemaking in Hollywood or is Sony just loving up really bad?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
According to this terribly written, unclear Daily Mail article, Sony may have just shut down all filming. That can't literally mean all filming, can it?

e: Nevermind. Sounded like bullshit, was bullshit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 14, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's also this horrific story of racism and sexual harassment by a high ranking Sony executive.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Jesus loving Christ. :stare:

We're all watching Sony slowly bleed to death, aren't we?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mash posted:

it's more like gushing

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Most of this stuff is minor- those powerpoint presentations, for example, are really not that unusual. lovely powerpoints are half the fun of powerpoints and those graphics are awesome. I'd be more interested in a pitch with some sort of taco headed monster trying to eat a naive baby. But it all looks bad from the outside and I cannot imagine the damage control this thing is taking. A lot of insiders that don't work for Sony are getting smeared by association and that sounds up there among the worst things that can happen for your film business.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 14, 2014

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Yeah this thing is like the Burn Book of Hollywood being opened up. I don't see any of the top execs surviving this because of so many burnt bridges and behind the scenes gossip.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I find it equal parts hilarious and depressing that we're at the point where even hackers care more about behind-the-scenes drama of the entertainment industry than the workings of the actual government.

Mash posted:

Sony has been hemorrhaging money from a lot of its entertainment divisions since consumer electronics like TVs are now a race to the bottom and their attempt to break into the smart phone market has been a huge failure.

The Playstation division has been carrying it for awhile, which is the exact opposite of what Microsoft is going through with Xbox being a black hole of money and resources.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

How delusional do you have to be to make such grand plans for an M. Night movie even back in 2012. Were 2 years enough for them to forget The Last Airbender?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This one is great:

http://gawker.com/channing-tatum-wr...dium=socialflow

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I spotted in this image the face of that Marine guy from Starcraft 2 and what looks like an action figure of Garrus from Mass Effect.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 14, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This entire saga has been fascinating and I want it to go on and on forever. :swoon: The Spider-Man stuff just reeks of desperation.

Channing Tatum loving rules.

Also Jonah Hill describing Jump Street In Black as "clean and rad and powerful" sounds like an @dril quote I swear to God.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

That is beautiful. Put him and Jonah Hill on charge of Sony Entertainment and film it. Then let them hire the rest of the crew like Seth Rogan and James Franco for the sequel. Film it.

Bam! Billions of dollars.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It might be fun to see Spider-Man among the Avengers, but aren't they already a little crowded? It was hard enough balancing five heroes in the first movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The leaks about Spectre are pretty worrying. One: how the gently caress does a Bond movie need a budget of well over $300 million? You could build a real rocket base inside a volcano, complete with monorail, for that. Two: did they seriously use an Austin Powers gag as the big twist? Christoph Waltz's character, who may or may not be Blofeld (the script doesn't name him as such, but the execs call him that) is Bond's brother. Okay, foster-brother, but whatever. Three: as recently as last month, the Sony execs thought the third act was terrible and everyone was scrambling to come up with something that A: would work, B: the audience would understand, and C: had actual stakes. Considering that the film is now shooting, it seems dubious that they've solved all the problems.

Also it looks like it'll be continuing the Craig movies' trend of being GRITTY with Bond as a burned-out husk of a man going through mid-life crisis who regularly fucks up his assignments and generally fails at everything except killing. :sigh: Which judging from Skyfall's success a lot of people like, but hey, I'm a Roger Moore fan.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Spider-Man stuff is just what's been happening for the last few years. They all make their Spider-Man movie in which all the execs and Avi Arad (Mostly him) make the decisions, and then don't seem to understand why they're not that successful. Jettison Arad for a start.

Sadly it seems that Andrew Garfield wouldn't be a part of it, which is a great shame because those movies, while not very good, completely lose their best asset.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

The leaks about Spectre are pretty worrying. One: how the gently caress does a Bond movie need a budget of well over $300 million? You could build a real rocket base inside a volcano, complete with monorail, for that. Two: did they seriously use an Austin Powers gag as the big twist? Christoph Waltz's character, who may or may not be Blofeld (the script doesn't name him as such, but the execs call him that) is Bond's brother. Okay, foster-brother, but whatever. Three: as recently as last month, the Sony execs thought the third act was terrible and everyone was scrambling to come up with something that A: would work, B: the audience would understand, and C: had actual stakes. Considering that the film is now shooting, it seems dubious that they've solved all the problems.

Also it looks like it'll be continuing the Craig movies' trend of being GRITTY with Bond as a burned-out husk of a man going through mid-life crisis who regularly fucks up his assignments and generally fails at everything except killing. :sigh: Which judging from Skyfall's success a lot of people like, but hey, I'm a Roger Moore fan.

If they want to crib from the 90s they should just use The World Is Not Enough's twist and have Blofeld just be a figurehead and Monica Bellucci or Léa Seydoux be the evil mastermind.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How many times can we have "evil mastermind is actually the hero's brother/friend/ex-partner" in a franchise or in espionage movies in general?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Payndz posted:

Three: as recently as last month, the Sony execs thought the third act was terrible and everyone was scrambling to come up with something that A: would work, B: the audience would understand, and C: had actual stakes. Considering that the film is now shooting, it seems dubious that they've solved all the problems.

And now they don't have the writer strike as the excuse.
Instead, they are going to blame the on-set rewrites on this very leak because abloo abloo artistic integrity and spoiler sancity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Vidiot posted:

How many times can we have "evil mastermind is actually the hero's brother/friend/ex-partner" in a franchise or in espionage movies in general?

It's sort of a staple of the series genre. Even Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy had it, in a way.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 14, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

The leaks about Spectre are pretty worrying. One: how the gently caress does a Bond movie need a budget of well over $300 million?

It's an effects-heavy film with a seven-month shooting schedule, involving a lot of expensive location shooting, that will need an incredibly accelerated post-production process because it's getting released next October. It isn't cheap to put together a spectacle movie like Bond in ten months.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pretty much the same applied to The Spy Who Loved Me back in 1976, though (rushed production because of studio/production company troubles, major foreign shooting, major script rewrites, massive stunts and sets) and that still only cost $14m - inflation adjusted, about $60m. I know that's far from an exact equivalent, but we're still talking a third of a billion dollars for something that sure as hell isn't going to be five times more spectacular than TSWLM.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Payndz posted:

Pretty much the same applied to The Spy Who Loved Me back in 1976, though (rushed production because of studio/production company troubles, major foreign shooting, major script rewrites, massive stunts and sets) and that still only cost $14m - inflation adjusted, about $60m. I know that's far from an exact equivalent, but we're still talking a third of a billion dollars for something that sure as hell isn't going to be five times more spectacular than TSWLM.

Daniel Craig is being paid $15 million for this film alone ($15 million for the next film too).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You could pay Craig, Sam Mendes, Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade $15 million each and the money left over in Spectre's budget would still pay for Avatar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Payndz posted:

You could pay Craig, Sam Mendes, Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade $15 million each and the money left over in Spectre's budget would still pay for Avatar.

But you wouldn't have any money to make The Spy who Loved Me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

computer parts posted:

But you wouldn't have any money to make The Spy who Loved Me.
The greatest tragedy of all.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My concerns with Spectre aren't the script (I trust Sam Mendes and his team to figure that out) or the budget (Hollywood accounting LOL), but that Christoph Waltz as Blofeld was set to die in the climax. I need that man in like 15 more Bond movies, dammit!!! It's not much of a criminal organization if he gets killed off in the first movie. :(

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I hope that there's something in the leak about The Boondocks and what really happened with Aaron McGruder in the last season. The fact that they didn't announce that he wasn't involved until a month before Season 4 started airing makes me think that something really interesting happened behind the scenes.

There's been stuff about their TV division in the leaks (something about execs freaking out about a DVD extra leaking) so I wouldn't be surprised if some of this comes out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Do people still think North Korea was behind it? I doubted it at first because the hackers seemed like a typically lame Anonymous-type group but the scope of the leak was so massive and apparently the code was written in Korean.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I find it amusing that the DPRK could be as fed up with Adam Sandler movies as we are.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
DPRK is pissed that Sony is publishing The Interview. Also, if you think North Koreans hate the U.S., you should hear their opinion of the Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Cacator posted:

Do people still think North Korea was behind it? I doubted it at first because the hackers seemed like a typically lame Anonymous-type group but the scope of the leak was so massive and apparently the code was written in Korean.

I doubt the hackers are anything but Anonymous-types, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were paid by North Korea.

• Locked thread