Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hah-Hah you always play Pyramid Head with me, Peter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the black husserl posted:

I guess it doesn't seem immoral if you believe morality has no place in media, sure.
I would love it if the media had a moral code. I would also love it if literally any capitalist venture had a moral compass. However, I live in the real world and not the fantasy world of idealism that exists only in fiction, like one Aaron Sorkin would write.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Re: the Jobs movie

"There are no Asian movie stars!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fatherboxx posted:

"There are no Asian movie stars!"

To be fair, there aren't any really (in America). I could name several well known Asian actors that I'd love to see headline a movie, but they aren't stars.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skwirl posted:

To be fair, there aren't any really (in America). I could name several well known Asian actors that I'd love to see headline a movie, but they aren't stars.

Better not make that movie then no matter how good the story or director.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Junkie Disease posted:

That's exactly what I meant to say, thank you for clarifying.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skwirl posted:

That's exactly what I meant to say, thank you for clarifying.

I don't mean it like that. Its just sad they wont even try without a face to fill 75% of the poster with that has public recognition.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

There are barely any movie stars total anymore, let alone Asian-American ones. Sorkin's an rear end considering his most successful/best movie starred The Kid from Zombieland, Some Brit, and A Literal Member of N'Sync.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's pretty stupid there aren't Asian American film stars since Asians have a lot of disposable income (statistically they're the least impoverished race in the US) and there's big Markets for Korean, Chinese and Japanese actors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

There are barely any movie stars total anymore, let alone Asian-American ones. Sorkin's an rear end considering his most successful/best movie starred The Kid from Zombieland, Some Brit, and A Literal Member of N'Sync.

Well when you put it like that... :lol:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Junkie Disease posted:

Problem is that story or Director probably won't be enough to sell that movie, hence the 'stars' comment. I can see where Sorkin is coming from in that regard. Though him not knowing who Fassbender is, and insisting that the world won't care is hilarious to me. ONLY THE BEST FOR AARON.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He also wrote An American President with Michael Douglas and Charlie Wilson's War with Tom Hanks. And apparently at one point they wanted Tom Cruise to star in his Steve Jobs flick, so let's not pretend Sorkin doesn't know what a movie star is.

Also if you don't think Justin Timberlake is a star, I don't even know what to tell you.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
How does Aaron Sorkin not know who Michael Fassbender is? Is he some sort of clueless idiot?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He was being sarcastic. He just meant that Fassbender isn't well known enough among the general population. I think in a later email he changed his mind and said that Fassbender's "time has come" or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He had no idea who Fassbender was when he sent that email. That's why the follow-up email is "I'm going to watch Shame now."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Proposition Joe posted:

How does Aaron Sorkin not know who Michael Fassbender is? Is he some sort of clueless idiot?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He is a writer, not a watcher!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Re: the Jobs movie

Seriously. How come these high-falutin Hollywood types don't know about one of the hottest actors working today who's famed not only for blockbusters but for his serious dramatic work.

I don't get it. This is kind of their job.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A lot of writers detest actors. They're really different circles.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
In the special features for Team America, when asked why they used marionettes, the answer was "Because we hate actors. Every single goddamned last one of them."

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Marionettes have better comedic timing than 90% of actors

hosed up but true

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

The woman to the right is Amy Pascal, who was in an extended e-mail dialogue with Scott Rudin about Jolie, where he called her a "minimally talented brat" and that her Cleopatra biopic would be a bomb.

I want to give Amy Pascal a big hug.

edit: just to clarify, Jolie is one of those actors who's more famous for being famous than she is for being a hit actress, so its refreshing to see a suit come out and ask why they're making a $300 million bet on her questionable ability to put asses in seats.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 16, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

echronorian posted:

It's pretty stupid there aren't Asian American film stars since Asians have a lot of disposable income (statistically they're the least impoverished race in the US) and there's big Markets for Korean, Chinese and Japanese actors.

They're like 5% of the population and they're only least impoverished if you look at household income (which is skewed because Asian-American households tend to have more people in them).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Proposition Joe posted:

Hahaha. Look at this guy who thinks anyone in Hollywood actually watches movies.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

echronorian posted:

also, Korea, Japan, and China have their own movie industries

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
The biggest question on my mind is whether we'll be getting a follow-up leak showing the internal shitstorm from this.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

senae posted:

The biggest question on my mind is whether we'll be getting a follow-up leak showing the internal shitstorm from this.

I want this, but from the other major studios. I'm sure their emails are equally hilarious. I'm especially interested in the Goliath/Google thing since it sounded like a bunch of the the studios were in on it. It probably sounds more interesting than it actually is, though. Plus I imagine everyone is more tightlipped now about this stuff now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

senae posted:

God, could they still be using email? I'd have figured Sony would've bought a poo poo ton of ravens by now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was something about a big leak for Christmas but who knows what that will be. It'll probably just be more gossip.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Slugworth posted:

God, could they still be using email? I'd have figured Sony would've bought a poo poo ton of ravens by now.

quote:

At Sony, calls, fax machines, billing by hand and snail mail have become the new facts of life on the lot since last month’s data breach. Sony’s publicity department has curbed standard practices like mass-emailing press releases to media, instead letting crisis consultants handle those tasks, one knowledgeable individual said. The Culver City campus has seen limited access to wifi, with the few hotspots set up around the lot using new hardware, the insider added.
“The entire company is at war,” one insider said. “No one can get their job done.”

http://www.thewrap.com/panicked-hollywood-avoids-email-returns-to-faxes-after-sony-hack-attack-this-is-really-a-nightmare/

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
lol what a stupid lovely company

cams
Mar 28, 2003

seriously though if the whole "project goliath" thing gets overlooked because of all the other stuff (which is admittedly hilarious) i'm gonna be super bummed

because it is legit a conspiracy of the six biggest movie studios to destroy another business and take control of the internet

edit: i love how many paid employees of sony are coming out and denouncing the media for reporting all this. it's so brave.

cams fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 16, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cams posted:

seriously though if the whole "project goliath" thing gets overlooked because of all the other stuff (which is admittedly hilarious) i'm gonna be super bummed

because it is legit a conspiracy of the six biggest movie studios to destroy another business and take control of the internet.
I wonder, how many people go to movies based on trailers, or word of mouth based on trailers? Or reviews for that matter. Just how much could Google hurt these companies bottom line by making it hard to find their trailers, or by making negative reviews much more likely to appear in a search? Not that I expect them to go all-out on them, seems like the kind of thing that could put wind behind the sails of people wanting to use antitrust laws against Google.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Theaters may be pulling the premiere of The Interview due to theaters being threatened by the same hackers, supposedly. Ths all but confirms thhis is a DPRK thing. https://twitter.com/JoeBelBruno/status/544924103048585216

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

echronorian posted:

Ths all but confirms thhis is a DPRK thing.

Hardly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It could be a "bomb" on the scale of Green Hornet we should evacuate the entire east coast.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

There was evidence of Korean-language tools in the malware that was used.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

echronorian posted:

There was evidence of Korean-language tools in the malware that was used.

All that means is that it is likely the same tool that was used to hack SK a while back, which isn't saying much given how that poo poo gets passed around in the right circles. It doesn't tell you anything about who is using that tool NOW though, they could be speaking Korean or they could just not give a poo poo about removing Korean junk code or plugins if the tool is usable anyway.

No one is going to pull The Interview now though, this is going to a major financial hurt for Sony and with all the controversy The Interview is going to fill more seats than ever, time to recoup some costs.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

No one is going to pull The Interview now though, this is going to a major financial hurt for Sony and with all the controversy The Interview is going to fill more seats than ever, time to recoup some costs.

I agree with that, what's more American now than seeing The Interview on Christmas? Don't let the terrorists win.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey being Jewish and all my family and some of my friends friends and I do go to movies on and around Christmas and there's a lot coming out we'd kinda like to see, and with all the talk about it (and us liking the concept/actors to begin with) we'll probably wind up seeing The Interview. I doubt it'll be some huge record moment but people are talking about it and laughing about NK's 'involvement' regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

cams posted:

It's really hilarious to me seeing all the people coming out talking about how "immoral" it is for the media to report on this.

If they didn't report on it, they lose money because someone else will. Why should media outlets get treated differently than any other business who we've told "Do whatever you want, as long as it's not (super duper) illegal, to make money!"

Well, to be fair, "do whatever you want as long as it's not (super duper) illegal, to make money!" is a horrible philosophy and people only believe it because people with money have more power and can make it seem to be a good way to be, even if it's not.

However, this situation really isn't even related to that: a lot of these leaks are things that should be public knowledge and there's a benefit to society for publishing (some of) it.

• Locked thread