Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

juniperjones posted:

Well, to be fair, "do whatever you want as long as it's not (super duper) illegal, to make money!" is a horrible philosophy and people only believe it because people with money have more power and can make it seem to be a good way to be, even if it's not.
of course, that's exactly my point. it is hilarious to me that people are choosing this, a major motion picture studio being hacked, to hold journalism to higher standards. yes, i agree, it would be dope if our media didn't constantly report worthless poo poo instead of the stuff that actually matters. choosing this moment to make it a cause is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Poor Cameron Crowe

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-emails-cameron-crowes-new-bradley-cooper-movie-1670963815

"I'm ready to direct Jobs"

*crickets*

:smithicide:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I enjoy that even Hollywood high-ups make fun of the Smith kids.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Whats with Sony's disdain for Sandler? I mean, his recent output is loving abysmal but don't they make money? They make it sound like they don't want to sully their good name with Sandler films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yaws posted:

Whats with Sony's disdain for Sandler? I mean, his recent output is loving abysmal but don't they make money? They make it sound like they don't want to sully their good name with Sandler films.

I think he just has an insanely good production deal.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Yaws posted:

The way it sounds is like he got a sweetheart deal. Yes, they make money, but most of it actually goes to Happy Madison. The deal is largely lopsided in his favor, and I guess the terms of it are such that he basically gets to keep making movies that don't really make them much money after they subtract his cut.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sandler's movies are sort of hit and miss at the box office. Blended didn't do very well.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

cams posted:

seriously though if the whole "project goliath" thing gets overlooked because of all the other stuff (which is admittedly hilarious) i'm gonna be super bummed

because it is legit a conspiracy of the six biggest movie studios to destroy another business and take control of the internet

edit: i love how many paid employees of sony are coming out and denouncing the media for reporting all this. it's so brave.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7402285/project-goliath-and-hollywoods-quest-to-control-the-web

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sandler's movies are sort of hit and miss at the box office. Blended didn't do very well.

The budgets are low as poo poo. Minimal ads, minimal digital effects, and they're written by/star his buddies. That all contributes to them being successful. They also do well in rentals.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

echronorian posted:

The budgets are low as poo poo. Minimal ads, minimal digital effects, and they're written by/star his buddies. That all contributes to them being successful. They also do well in rentals.

Jack and Jill somehow cost nearly 80 Million dollars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It made 25 million opening weekend, afaik. Guarantee that made tens of millions in profit

Edit: double checked, worldwide gross at 150 million, don't think that includes rentals.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 17, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So did Grown Ups 2.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The joke is, beyond "Sony", the fact a bunch of Hollywood types got together to take on loving Google and their plans got leaked because they have no loving clue how technology works and they got hacked. You can not right perfect stupidity like that, people wouldn't believe it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

You can not right perfect stupidity like that, people wouldn't believe it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

I like the way that their big bad masterplan for blacklisting domains at the DNS server level can be beaten by just typing in the IP address manually.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Man I'm only vaguely sober and I don't argue with the auto-correct.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.

Your mean.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Holy poo poo. "Let's take down Google" is a thing a group of people collevtivly thought and then didn't immediately go "We are bug gently caress insane, never mind"

That's...something.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Man, the ARG for The Interview is intense

quote:

Warning
We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.
Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.
The world will be full of fear.
Remember the 11th of September 2001.
We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.
(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)
Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.
All the world will denounce the SONY.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

echronorian posted:

:stare:
That's uh. Huh.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I love that "All the world will denounce the SONY" part.

SONY 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

:stare:
That's uh. Huh.

I don't think the Norks are really capable of doing that much.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

echronorian posted:

Um. What is this?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
poo poo, now I kind of feel like it's my patriotic duty to go see this retarded, unfunny movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Interview is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I'm going to see this movie, and I won't let dumb possible terrorists stop me.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 17, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

I won't dumb possible terrorists stop me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh my god.

I've been hacked! The terrorists, they did this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TrixRabbi posted:

Um. What is this?
Threats by the hacking group

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Isn't most of that from salaries, though? From what I've heard Adam Sandler takes (very) good care of his friends.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

echronorian posted:

Such scare: wow

Ok I laughed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That weird pseudo terrorist message has echoes of "Remember, remember the 5th of November" which makes the likelyhood of it being Anonymous types a lot more likely.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hahaha this is way too funny. I guess I'm watching the interview boys!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Pfft, all of you are amateurs at this generic title thing. I present:

Be.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Skwirl posted:

That weird pseudo terrorist message has echoes of "Remember, remember the 5th of November" which makes the likelyhood of it being Anonymous types a lot more likely.

Yes, but the fact that they are so specifically going after The Interview pretty much confirms that they either are working for North Korea or are North Korean sympathizers, no?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, because someone could easily put all the blame on The Interview just to throw the feds off their trail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cacator posted:

Yes, but the fact that they are so specifically going after The Interview pretty much confirms that they either are working for North Korea or are North Korean sympathizers, no?

I'm torn between 4chan assholes exploiting the fact that Sony has lovely internet security for the gently caress of it (possibly related to some gamersgate thing, how many months ago was a bomb threat phoned in on a Sony executive's plane) , and North Korea paying money to those same people to do it anyways.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

You will not be watching The Interview this year. Sony has pulled NY Premier due to the above posted threat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sony-hackers-threaten-interview-premiere-nyc-article-1.2047383

Think they are going to bury it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CelticPredator posted:

No, because someone could easily put all the blame on The Interview just to throw the feds off their trail.

True. It's more fun to think that North Korea did it though.

Billy the Mountain posted:

You will not be watching The Interview this year. Sony has pulled NY Premier due to the above posted threat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sony-hackers-threaten-interview-premiere-nyc-article-1.2047383

Think they are going to bury it.

Dumb move on Sony's part, it's getting so much free publicity out of this, and you know that the hackers can't really do anything like that anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cacator posted:

Dumb move on Sony's part, it's getting so much free publicity out of this, and you know that the hackers can't really do anything like that anyways.

I agree that it's a dumb move, but they aren't doing it because they think any buildings will blow up if they show "The Interview," They're doing it because they think people won't go to the theater because those people think the theater will blow up.

After 9/11 the Washington State ferry system was briefly shut down, because after crashing airplanes into the world trade center and the pentagon, obviously your next target is a ferry on the opposite coast transporting people from Seattle to one of several destinations that no one who doesn't live in Washington State has ever heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Cacator posted:

True. It's more fun to think that North Korea did it though.

I think they may be looking at the what if's; What if we Do push this movie and it opens nation wide and a theater in LA and NY and Chicago playing it get car bombed and 500 people die...we wont look to good ignoring that threat then...

I can only imagine what they are thinking at SONY right now.

• Locked thread