Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18axrK1i4Evd2WjAC4G7Y0vqjaS_ioSIpRb-0j30u2yk/edit?usp=sharing

So I've been working on this a bit. I've taken it to a few workshops, but I thought I would try to expand the number of viewpoints I was getting on this story after being told that I should stop writing and become a preacher, based on the tone of this work.

I'm definitely thinking that I need to better establish the protagonist in the beginning and develop him better in the middle, break up the sparse sentences with new sentence structures and work on some choppiness between scenes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kelnira
Jun 14, 2011

My weapon of choice.
I enjoyed reading this! I felt like I was right back in high school with the dialogue. It felt very natural to me. I was a bit confused as to how Billy developed at the end, though. considering his convictions toward abuse, I'd expected Billy to realize that fighting abuse with violence was rarely a good idea and help Sarasota by doing so. It bothered me that he ended up ignoring her and then apologized to an alleged abuser. Rather than development, it just seemed out of character to me. That may just be me projecting what I wanted to happen, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If I might say, though, you should try not to take crits so much to heart. It's just words, and if they're right then you need to hear them, and if they wrong then you should ignore them. It can be difficult to work out which is which, but that's your job to handle.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Upon some reflection, the last segment feels like misdirection, because I'm interested much more in what's going on in Sarasota's family, than in Billy's character growth. If I may speculate, you've tried to not very successfully fit an adult, complex situation into a barebones arc. I'd really appreciate if Sarasota's story were explored in more detail. For more points, I'd experiment with Billy's internal monolog, or at least descriptions of his experience.

• Locked thread