Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Name a gas station that doesn't accept Bitcoin if you turn it into a Visa gift card first?
Do you really think the layperson knows or cares if their card is technically going through a prepaid Google Mastercard? People don't use Google Wallet because they don't know it exists, or that it works with their phone, or that it works with their card (and it does, even if it's a workaround on Google's part; people pay, it comes out of their checking account, fin). Apple Pay gained traction because it was advertised by the media via keynote coverage, by being a part of one of the biggest device launches of the year, and by advertising on the part of both Apple and partners.
Even then, this is all a result of Google failing to work with their partners and shove their weight around like Apple does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

What's the story with the Oneplus One? It's interesting, but I don't know a drat thing about it other then reviews online...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The story is that the spergs itt have a huge hate boner for it.

I just don't think it's a particularly great phone; seeing OnePlus' other PR and manufacturing screw-ups is just funny, regardless of how good the phone is. Unless you have a really great reason for buying off-contract, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, I'd still prefer a 1st gen Moto X or a used M8 first.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahahaha yeah, let me get a few more hours of anime in by making my phone look like its on the other side of a screen door.

Wouldn't this shorten the life of the lit parts of the screen, eventually ensuring that the screen door effect would be permanent?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

isndl posted:

Not to mention if the update triggered while he was low on battery it might fail partway through. Doesn't pretty much every tablet/phone update require you to be plugged in these days?

Droid Turbo doesn't, but I'm pretty sure it won't start an update if it's below a certain battery level.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i was reloading posted:

Apple has iMessage, Google has Hangouts. They are alternatives of each other.

They're not directly analogous, though. The biggest difference between Hangouts and iMessage is that Hangouts is trying to replace one app with another, and allows you to switch between a Hangouts conversation and a text conversation at will, whereas iMessage straight up replaces text messaging (when applicable). There's no conscious choice there at all; it's enabled by default on a new iPhone, and you can't choose to send a text message by default when iMessage is enabled. Hangouts is basically WhatsApp with the ability to send text messages.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It depends on what SD card you get (for speed), and also depends on "is this being written to a billion times a day".

If phones supported the UHS-2 standard the speeds are blazing, but even in the UHS-1 spectrum you can get "90MB/sec" cards that are plenty fast. If all you're using it for is storage for media and a couple apps, I really doubt the card is going to become a liability quickly. I have a 32GB run of the mill sandisk card in my moto g right now and I have a couple of big apps loaded to it .. no slowdown I have noticed when launching them.

But there's so much more that matters to storage than just maximum theoretical speed; it's the reason really techy sites like Anandtech bother to test a phone's NAND speeds under every possible scenario. An SD card can have a max sequential read speed of 50MB/sec, but what's its average throughput or non-sequential write speed? There are so many more variables with SD cards not only between classes but even how different manufacturer's cards in the same class perform that can lead to lovely performance.
It's all seemingly minor technical details, but it can lead to inconsistent (at best) performance and a subpar experience, which is what ultimately matters. I totally understand if people don't just know this stuff off the bat (and my limited knowledge really comes from when I was dealing with an old G1/MyTouch 3G and trying to make my SD card system storage :downs: so things may be different now), but there is an actual, measurable difference between NAND and SD.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I get this but again as I have stated, I am using a few of my apps on SD and do not notice a difference in speed. I am sure that is not he same for some apps but for the vast majority out there storage on SD would be just fine. I am happy to have a higher capacity phone, but given the SD card is there and for what I am using it for I really don't care one iota if the speed is lower. My photos/videos/music don't need super fast storage, they never have and never will.

The difference is that when you talk about moving apps to SD, it generally doesn't mean you're running it entirely from the SD card. My point was just that running apps entirely from an SD card is a bad idea for quantifiable reasons, and Android M will now treat the SD card as part of system storage. At least WP7's SD cards were never meant to be user accessible and were provided by the manufacturer.
SD cards are perfect for media storage, where a bunch of the limitations of using it as a "hard disk" don't matter. Once you start introducing methods of operation that weren't really the intended purpose, things can start to suck. Considering one of the biggest issues with Android nowadays is inconsistent experiences between devices, introducing another way for that to crop up seems like a bad idea to me.

E: In addition, I don't know that the common Android user could even identify what slowdown caused by slow storage media would even look like. They'd probably blame the device for a lovely SD card being the problem.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 6, 2015

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

vyst posted:

With the exception of the lock screen you can literally phase out every element of touchwiz with apps now.

...the UI?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

lol I'll use this next time someone makes fun of wasting hours flashing roms to make a Sarnsung usable

That doesn't happen because they're wasting their own time, hth

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LionYeti posted:

Note 5 is the max size I will ever have w a phone.

Is that even a restriction at that point?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sure, I get that storage *should* be cheap, but Google will give you 60GB to store your full res photos for free and back everything existing on the phone up. Why wouldn't you do that?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

If you want to spend your time clearing caches and deleting photos, or just not using your phone at all in the first place, that's fine.

The hell are you talking about?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Have fun having all of your photos accessible anywhere, plebes. I'll be over here complaining about not having enough photo storage space and assuming that Google Photos cloud backup qualifies as ~active manual management~ and takes any effort at all. :smug:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Worse. It's Apple Maps bad.

Maaaan, I don't think you used a G2X. That thing was a tire fire in a phone. It was telephony Hitler. Idi Amin with a screen.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Have you guys heard of Dashlane?

But for real. For those who're looking for a LastPass alternative now, it's actually pretty good. Unlike 1Password, has a decent looking and functioning Android and Windows desktop app. The only downside is the subscription fee, but I've gotten plenty of "three/six months free" offers for it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Can someone wrap grip tape around a can of Pepsi Max and put it in their cargo jorts for me?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about sd cards.

The real issue with the Nexus line is non removable batteries.

Can we bring back pull-out antennas?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

I'm sorry I ruined the thread

You cannot ruin that which was never good.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Can very easily put CM on it anyway so who cares

Hey wait this was supposed to be a list of pros.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

In tyool 2016 phones are so fast and capable these days that there's no such thing as lag or bloat when it comes to OEM skins, all complaints about Touchwiz/LG UX/Sense/whatever pretty much boil down to "B-but my settings menu is a different color!!???? :mad:?!"

Nah, I used a Note 5 for a while and regularly experienced some strange lag/hitching. Maybe that's just Android at the moment, but I didn't seem to experience the same type of thing as severely on my Nexus 6, to the point that the Nexus 6 felt more powerful, despite clearly not being. I mean, it is what it is, I'm not gonna flip if someone doesn't mind something like Touchwiz, but in my experience, it's pretty demonstrably poorly designed and offers little-to-no advantage for the consumer.

That said, the S7 is a nice looking phone. I held the Edge when I was at the store the other day, and they really did a wonder in making the Edge much, much more comfortable in the hand - to the point where I think it feels better than the regular S7. We'll see what marketing does, but I wouldn't be shocked if these pull Samsung out of that sales slump they've been in.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

I dream of a future when our Mobile OS of choice is actually a full Windows non-mobile install that runs full windows applications and games with no issues.
I can only assume this is sarcasm.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Actually, not at all. I really think within the next 5 years or so we will see a full fledged windows OS running on a phone using intel cpus that can handle full app/game functionality to some, if relatively minor, degree. Look at how powerful phones are right now and just imagine the day WindowsBEST takes over as the primary mobile market. The day will be glorious.

That's a UX nightmare. Why would you ever want to run full-fledged Windows apps on your phone? And if you're retooling apps with a mobile UI, what's the point of running a "full" OS?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

So does Samsung have their own app store like Amazon does or are we not to that level of bastardization yet?

That's what's pushing the notification ads in the first place. Apparently nobody (even those with Samsung phones) has pointed that out yet. On my Note 5, I'm signed into the Samsung store app and haven't had any ads. Probably a relatively new thing.
Still lovely. That's a thing I'd uninstall an app over, it'd certainly bother me about being baked into a phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Years ago there was a service that app makers started using that did push notifications showing advertising. The uproar here was tremendous even though there were relatively easy ways to disable them.

And Android's made it much easier to stop that sort of thing now. In practice it's pretty trivial, but it's the sort of thing that bothers me on principle enough that I'd generally not want to use that company's product. I feel it's a little more egregious considering the price of a phone, but if it doesn't bother someone, then oh well.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Android Tablets are fantastic, except for the lack of Flash.

Wait, what? Why do you think Android needs flash? Moreover, why do you think it'd be a good idea?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It's a decade-old view of mobile. I didn't know anyone still thought that in TYOOL 2016. Flash is terrible on desktop, why should it end up on mobile? I just realized that's the same guy who thinks full-blown Windows on phones is a good idea, too. Why would you want Android tablets to be better if the goal is to just end up with a Surface?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Eej posted:

So I was about to pull the trigger on an S7 Edge when I noticed the S6 Edge dropped in price finally. Aside from the bigger screen, SD card and bigger battery, is there anything else that realistically makes the S7 Edge $400 better than the S6 Edge? I'd put a case in either one so I'm not worried about the S6 Edge's... edges digging into my hand.

S6 Edge in my experience was awkward to hold (I know you said you were gonna put a case on it), had awful battery life, the edge gimmick wasn't well-utilized, and (anectodal, so make of this what you will) performed so much worse than I would've expected from it that it became unpleasant to use on a daily basis.
That said, I don't know what you'll get out of the S7, but it assuredly can't be worse than my experience with the S6.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/

A $500 "midrange" phone? Good luck, BB.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is the best bang for my buck looking to spend less than 150$ on an android phone? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished S4 because I would like something with a SD card slot that holds a 64GB card for music playing.

Not a ton. If you can stretch that budget out another $30 and spend it on a 3rd gen Moto G, that'd probably be your best bet. Decent balance between not being hot garbage and not costing an arm and a leg.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Product name ambiguity sucks. His is a 2015 and from the sound of it I'm guessing yours is a 2014?

Also now you understand why the thread trends toward never don't Nexus, because even AOSPalike phone OEMs drop the ball too often.

Moto X Pure isn't an ambiguous name.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Also tried out an Iphone and I was really confused and couldn't figure anything out.

I know this is the Android thread but what exactly couldn't you figure out about an iPhone? It's pretty much a launcher with app icons and one button, it's pretty straightforward.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Deleter posted:

My port also appears to look "pushed in" at the bottom, but a connection is still being made so I'm not too worried about this (unless this is cause for alarm/repair).

I'm no scientist, but it seems like that's likely to be the source of your issue. My assumption would be there's something faulty there generating a ton of heat.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Edit: Gah stupid emptyquote button.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Zerilan posted:

While cheap phone recommendations are being mentioned: What's my best option in the $100-200 range for something cost-effective that should last for awhile. Mostly just looking for a decent camera, unlocked or t-mobile compatible, and can play something like Ingress or Go without the battery life instantly vanishing.

Well, $100-200 and "should last for a while" are sorta contradictory, but anything halfway decent is going to be at $200, no cheaper. The Asus ZenFone (2?) is apparently not bad, and it sounds like the new Moto G is an alright phone as well.

Edit: Also you could wait 'til the new round of Nexus phones come out and see what the 5x drops to, it's I think $280 retail right now.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bandire posted:

When the Turbo was first released they included one free screen repair. (That is a Turbo right?) If you bought it from Verizon it is worth checking at least.

^ This. I actually redeemed it and it was a pretty straightforward policy; I'm not sure why it existed, but Verizon will replace the screen on the Turbo if it breaks, even if it's accidental.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Whats the benefit of Google Assistant over what we currently have on Android today?

It's essentially a rebranding/expansion of Google Now. It'll allow third-party integration, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know the original question was about financing through Google but if someone's curious about Verizon's payment plan, then as far as I know neither of these statements apply. There's no credit check and there's no reporting of payments to your credit report. Maybe if you haven't been a customer with them for long they'd rely on some sort of credit bureau report, but they seem to deem credit worthiness based on their own billing history.

Yep, that's definitely the case with Verizon.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

5436 posted:

I understand that but the performance lags across the phone. From browsing to pulling up the keyboard. Snapchat is the worst offender, its unusable.

I block facebook and those apps from location settings but it also sorta defeats the purpose of having the phone unless I can use the apps I want.

Is there an explanation for this? Its very frustrating.

I can tell you that, from my experience with the 6P, that's not typical. Maybe there is some offending app causing the problem, but it could be a pain in the rear end to figure out. I'd do a factory reset if only because that's the simplest way to get rid of whatever it may be that's causing it. If you have time, you can try to troubleshoot, see if it's a problematic app or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Am I crazy in not particularly caring that much about the whole Verizon Pixel update thing? If Google does the legwork in developing updates for the phones for the next two years as they've said they would, I'd expect Verizon to eventually roll those out.
Also I'd be curious to see if that bootloader does end up getting unlocked by XDA eventually.