Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a Pixel C. This thing owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So make Verizon pony up for micro-cells through the building. Depending on the value of your corporate contract, they'll do it.

They did for our concrete bunker building, at least.

I confused you with LITERALLY A BIRD and was VERY confused why a person working in a Vet hospital needed a concrete bunker.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Coming from a hardware development perspective: gently caress removable media

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

We had internal micro SD cards on one product I worked on and the next product we spun on the same platform we used an eMMC. It was really nice, considering we glued the micro SD into its slot.

Most modern electronics use emmc or UFS these days. External SDcards are nothing but dumpster fire trash to deal with and I am glad they are going away more and more. gently caress microSD for anything other than photos and video.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

This might be really retarded but I apologize in advance: Can cold affect the vibration motor temporarily? I went for a hike and it was really cold and when I turned my phone back on after the hike (it was dry in my backpack the whole time) the vibration didn't work for a while, until it warmed back up and it magically just started vibrating again. It was about 5-8c during the hike.

Nexus 6P, not that it's super relevant.

Yes it could! Sounds to me like a lovely cable though, as most consumer electronics are rated from 0C to 70C.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I have a droid charge. It's garbage and I need a new phone. I don't need the newest thing. It probably has to work with verizon. Doing research on this almost physically hurts me. If verizon is going to be a dick about it and not activate a phone I buy used, then I guess I"ll go to AT&T. This is as far as I've gotten.

The thing that infuriates me about my current droid charge is that it literally never got an OS update, and 90% of things on the play store are unsupported. Also after I put it through the washing machine and it took two weeks to dry out the battery lasts about 26 minutes and it literally never notifies me I have voice mail.

Should I Get a nexus 5/6? My understanding is that nexus products get updates, ever, and that would be nice. I'd also like a phone that doesn't have bloatware.

The Android Thread - Get a Nexus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Okay now which one? I wouldn't mind getting a 5 or 6 but these amazon questions and answers make it seem like it's up in the air whether you receive a refurbished one with broken functionality or an international one without CDMA. I worry that my level of knowledge is so low I wouldn't find out right away if one that got shipped was wrong in some way and after going through the trouble of getting it activated and my phone number transferred over that it would be too late to return it.

Get one from the Google store. As for you, either the 5x, 6, or 6p are good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenner posted:

Hello I am an idiot. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Today it ran out of battery. I charged it inside the car and needed to use it for google maps. It blacked out again while I was navigating, even while on the car charger, gently caress me. It stayed blacked out and did not go to the screen with the little charging battery animation. I worried. I tried to start it back up again, phone was dead and I was lost. At this point I admit I hit the phone against my leg a couple times in anger because that will definitely fix it. Phone still dead on the car charger with no "charging" screen.

I pull off to the side of the road and wait, I stop frantically pressing the power button and begging the phone to stop being dead.

Eventually, through no action on my part, the green battery charging animation comes on screen. I am elated. I let the phone charge a bit then make my way home safely and put it on the charger. It charges fine in the car on the way home.

While on the charger at home it starts making the charger connected/charger disconnected sound while on the freaking charger. While plugged in and connected to the charger it stops showing the lightning bolt in the battery icon that signifies its charging.

Touchscreen is now "Sticky" and Holding Down Keys.
Phone is now lagging sometimes.

This is very new, I appear to have broken my phone. I'm pretty sure if I take it to a phone repair place they will just scam me and my phone will still be broken.

What should I do?

Get a new phone.

Next time remember that when a phone battery dies it can actually harm the battery when you try to repeatedly turn the phone on without charging it.

Also if your car charger is only providing 500mA it won't charge the phone and provide gps and keep the screen on at the same time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenner posted:

I do. I have a graspy thingy in the cup holder. I pulled off to the side of the road immediately.

But drat it, I don't want to spend like $500 on a new phone. :sigh: I don't think I'm due another upgrade for a year or so.

Goons are probably right, it's probably time to replace this old mess but newer phones are so drat huge. That's why I bought the Mini in the first place.

Oh well. Thanks.

Swappa.com. Find a nexus 5, 6, or 5x. Go hog wild!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol. Hey guys, I just enabled the administrator account with no password. What could possibly go wrong?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

Same on my 5x.

And my pixel c.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What pisses me off about USB-C is that it reminds me that the engineers were too loving dumb to make usb-A 10 wire instead of 5.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

feedmegin posted:

USB is 4 wires? Or am I missing something here. I mean you can clearly see the 4 pads in a full-size USB connector.

Sorry, was thinking of OTG which has a select line.

It should have been 8 wires instead of 4 then. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You forgot the shield's grounded. Also it gets its own pin in the small versions.

As somebody who actually programmed a USB stack once, I feel ashamed of myself now. :smith:

Still; my Original point still stands. Why they didn't make Type-A reversible I will never understand; and it's unforgivable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best launcher is the Microsoft Arrow launcher.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

OneNote?

Yeah OneNote is good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The note 5 is 400$ off Swappa in mint condition. These phones depreciate over 50% of their value in one year. Buying them brand new is insane. :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grey Area posted:

That's over half it's support lifetime gone. Only Android devices with any kind of longevity are Nexus devices.

Hell the s7 edge is around 500$ and it's only a few months old.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why the hate for LG? My wife has a g5 and loves it. It has been rock solid and fast since she got it, and the battery life is really great as well. The camera is fantastic as well. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Happened to my wife's U.S. G4 too, and I guess was common enough that the T-Mobile store worker actually knew what about the issue. G3 had a bad display and overheating issues. LG G2 had some of the absolute worst skinned Android ever. LG is bad.

The g3 and below are ancient. The g4 was praised for the most part and the v10 is loved yes?

Also they aren't nearly as poo poo as Samsung in terms of bloatware and delays on updated I have found.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hooah posted:

I get to find out just how bad Samsung is)/isn't since the S7 was about the least-bad phone available for work.

It's great/the devils anus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ usb-c is a mess

Lmbo no it isn't. It's a super simple to follow spec and companies keep trying to cheap out to save .02$ on build of material costs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This is why it's a mess.

Yes, but that isn't USB-C's fault.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No one said it was.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ usb-c is a mess
:confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. He says USB-C is a mess. Because it is. He doesn't say it's USB-C's fault.

USB-C isn't a mess though. Cheap/incompetent companies are.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Devonaut posted:

It's a mess for consumers.

This we can all agree on. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Anker isn't a cheap (as in quality) or incompetent company, yet they still managed to get caught out and need to recall cables.

The cable in question was USB-IF certified, so if nothing else that points to incomplete coverage in the testing regime.

In this case, it looks like if you unplugged the cable from the charger after switching from a high power device, you should be fine. The issue was the resistor in the cable wasn't allowing the voltage to drop far enough to inform the charger that the high power draw notebook disconnected. So, if you connected something else, it wouldn't renegotiate power and provide the same level of power to that new device.

The fact that this got though certification testing is pretty damning. Since power negotiation is a pretty large part of the USB-C spec, they should be covering this use case.

Granted the USB-IF hosed up, but again, Anker didn't follow the incredibly straight forward RFC.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The big thing is that Samsung doesn't have a vision, it basically cargo-cults Apple. Google has a vision for it's phones.

People are willing to forgive someone with a vision...see Elon Musk and Tesla/SpaceX.

Lmbo what the heck? Google's "vision" is to make as much money as possible just like Samsungs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

By this logic no company has a vision.

Googles vision is to datamine every single aspect of your life to sell to advertisers.
Samsungs vision is to sell you as much hardware using a free software platform.

What vision of those two makes it more palatable?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I guess it's just bizarre to me to give a company a pass just because they have a "vision."
Whatever that platitude means.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's not really weird at all.

People perceive Google's vision for Nexus devices to lead towards good user interfaces and relatively inexpensive phones. If you think those are worthwhile goals you will be willing to forgive some lovely power buttons or whatever.

I guess if you consider Nexus devices relatively inexpensive. What with the 5x hitting 350$ and the 6p at 500$.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Compared to an S7 or iPhone for $650 or Note 7 for $850, yeah I'd consider that relatively inexpensive

Compared to a Moto G or Lumia 650 for 150$, or a iPhone SE for 400$ they are.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Lol great point. Those are actually all really expensive too, though, since you can get a $10 Android One phone in India.

Exactly, thus the "Vision" for a relatively cheap phone is just a platitude.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

What's the benefit to doing this again? So I can awkwardly try to get it to work, holding everyone in line up, just so I don't have to insert?
Oh, and examine the payment terminal to see if it has an nfc reader, then hope it's activated?

I have a Note5, and one of the nice features of it is that ~*~*Samsung pay*~*~ works with old terminals via a magnetic signal the phone can produce.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't understand why Samsung hasn't been forced to issue a recall by now.

Yeah, they should recall every single note 7

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

solve world hunger by giving every starving child the ability to order a pizza

And cook the pizza as well!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
650$ Google phone. The ~*~*vision*~*~ of a cheap developer phone.

I see no compelling reason to buy it over a Nexus 5x or 6p, other than it might not have dumpster fire levels of build quality.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 21, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

If the merged OS is true, then I'm still wondering if Google is going to go the Continuum route that MS tried and failed with their lovely phones and mobile OS. I mean, ChromeOS is already supporting windowed Android apps, so it could be a possibility with a much more established app ecosystem.

The windows mobile version is actually really good. If they had a x86 phone it would be amazing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can look at you disdainfully from under the brow of my trilby as I paw at my non-exploding note 7 that I withdraw from my jorts pocket

I will look at you as I pull out my Note 5 and silently weep as I imagine a world where WebOS actually made a impact and was a player in the mobile market today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I get the feeling they just updated the firmware for a green battery icon and didn't do anything to actually mitigate the fires.