Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The power switch on my Nexus 5 is hosed and the app I use to turn it on via the volume control drains the battery to poo poo, so I was hoping to get one of these Pixel phones when they came out but... £600 for the cheapest model? this some bullshit. I can't spend £600 on a phone. what if i drop it??

Are the 6P or 5X still worth it even though theyre a year old? They're £350 and £260 on Amazon right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

yeah they're pretty good phones, and the price is coming down into "makes it a great phone" territory.

Mr. Powers posted:

I skipped them last year because I didn't consider them a huge upgrade over my N5 and I figured I could eke another year out of it. A year later and I bought the 5X.

gently caress it, then. It's not like I've much choice anyway. It's only a matter of time before this power switch starts loving again and turning on and off constantly (i smashed it on my desk a few times to fix it, no joke). I refuse to spend £600 on a phone despite my super heavy usage and I'm not going get some poo poo by Samsung that's loaded with bloatware.

Is it worth waiting to see if the price goes down in the next couple of days? Or could the announcement spike the prices of 6Ps? Think I want to try something bigger since I use it for work so much.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
maybe it's just time to suck it up and accept that the days of buying an unlocked phone for £330 and then sticking a giffgaff SIM in it at £12 a month is over... buying a Pixel XL on an O2 contract at £280 upfront and £31.50 a month works out to £1036 over 24 months. Buying one unlocked at £720 and sticking my £12 SIM in it works out to £1007, barely any difference. On the contracts you at least might get something cheaper in 2 years on upgrade.

On the other hand a 6P and my current SIM would be £648 over the same time period making it seem the obvious choice, but if they aren't even going to bother putting Android 8 on it then what's the point. Assuming they don't destroy the Android platform, what the OS offers is half the reason to buy the phone in the first place

Don't know what to think about them tweets either. Isn't every phone company working on a phone that's due out a year away?? The only difference is this time we know about it

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

withoutclass posted:

I'm hype as gently caress over the Pixel and it's going to own oowee. Bbbut it's $250 more than the mid range phone of last year :qq:

that's easy for you to say, it's £300 more than a OnePlus 3 in the UK

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Shannow posted:

Literally about to drop the cash on a oneplus3 and then realise that it's nearly 4 weeks shipping at the moment. Fortune pisses on me.

gently caress piss I was about to do exactly the same after deciding between a 6P and this. You can pay £336 upfront and get it on O2 but their plans are poo poo. My giffgaff one is only £12 per month. Not changing to a £21pm O2 one.

It's £100 more on Amazon as well. Guess I have to hope my power button doesn't try and gently caress me again for another month

any ideas if the cases they sell with them have textured/rubber/non-slip backs?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 6, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm aware. That's how I broke the bootloops from the button being pressed before.

It fixed mine too. It's something in the white switch on the PCB that fucks up, not that actual switch (or it still remains clicky when it's hosed.) I removed my power button and taped over the hole, got an app that let's me turn it on using the power button and now I'm constantly stressed about it running out of battery and me breaking it again by turning it on. When I get a new one I might see if I can get the part and solder it on.

I'm just going to buy a OnePlus 3 when I can decide if I want one of the official cases if I can't find a decent slim one. It's more recent than a 6P, cheaper in the UK and not £600

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I can't see a single plain, black, thin bumper case for the OnePlus 3 like I have with my Nexus 5 (Ringke Slim)

£20 is a bit steep for the official ones but I might have to go one

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot to order the OnePlus 3 because the delivery date was 31st October and now it's changed to 14th November :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
OnePlus doing a trade in deal again. My OnePlus3 has started registering swipes as taps on certain parts of the screen so been thinking about upgrading to the 7. Only offering £75 for it though

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/trade-in?from=ribbon#address/edit

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question for anyone with a OnePlus phone. What's the best way to transfer a backup from a non OnePlus phone to it? I currently have a Pixel 2 and and likely getting a 7T when it launches. On my phone I have a backup from Google. I saw there's a OnePlus app to transfer, would that be a good way? Or is there a way to use the Google backup once I set up the 7T?

It's still just android so everything that's backed up to your Google account will pull down on your OnePlus when you login to Google on it. I moved from a Nexus 5 to a OnePlus3 like 3 years ago so i can't remember what's actually backed up and what isn't, sorry. I vaguely remember all my apps getting pulled, but apps like WhatsApp won't have the data in them since they use the Drive backup and I think that might be a manual process.

They should also have that NFC phone to phone backup feature as well, but again, can't remember exactly what is pulled over.

Worst case you download a backup app like Titanium and make a backup beforehand and put it on your Drive just to be sure :shrug:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my loving god it's 3.5mm not whatever in inches you yankee doodle goddamn

its not even the right measurement

:chloe:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Can't remember if this was ever a thing, i feel like it was but my google searches seem to think its app dependent, but its worth a go:

Didn't it used to be possible to still allow push notifications for a specific app, but not have it play your default (or any) notification sound through the notification settings? I can only see the options to turn off all notifications for it. I want a popup, or the LED to flash if its there, i just don't want to listen to the annoying sound everytime it goes off but can't mute my phone. The apps in question suck and don't seem to have an option in app to disable the sound but still let the notification appear in the bar.

I'm on a OnePlus 3 on Android 9.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

If you go into the notification category in settings, under advanced there should be an option to choose a different sound for the notification. From there, you can just choose "None."

Remember, you can touch on the text rather than the radio switch to get to an additional screen.

Tight, thanks bro. Didn't even think to tap it, just assumed it would've turned it off.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Do OnePlus do black Friday deals on phones that have just come out like the 7T?

My OP3 battery is holding on by a pube at this point and almost betrayed me. Left my house at 91% around 17:30, used CityMapper a bit, took 2x 30 second videos and like 6 photos. Probably not even 1h30 of screen on time, made it back home around midnight on 15% battery. Would not have been fun getting back from London with no apps to help!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a OnePlus 3T and the battery is starting to discharge rapidly, which isn't too surprising since the phone is over 4 years old and has heavy use.

What would a good replacement be? I like having the OLED screen - what are some good options for a cheaper phone with OLED? OnePlus 7T or maybe the OP8?

Same boat, but just regular OnePlus 3. Charging like two or three times a day at the moment.

Hoping the OnePlus 8 price isn't outrageous 🤞

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

OnePlus 8 Pro european starting prices have leaked and they're about 150 Euro above those of the 7T Pro:

OnePlus 8 8/128GB: ca. 719/729 Euro

OnePlus 8 12/256GB: ca. 819/829 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 8/128GB: ca. 919/929 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 12/256GB: ca. 1009/1019 Euro

welp, this sucks. Should've picked up that 7T when they had the offer on it!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

I also got an update to GBoard that plastered the word Google across my keyboard. OP7T. This poo poo sucks.

Same on my OP3, but isn't it just so you can see which keyboard you're using? What does it matter? :shrug:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Make it so the face unlock only works if you've got your finger on the fingerprint sensor

Did you know you can also save time by wiping before you poo poo?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

Not as bad as I was expecting but I'm still glad I jumped on the discounted 7T, the 8 non-pro doesn't bring much more to the table if you don't live in a 5G area.

Hoping they discount it again when the new one releases. Regular Pixel 4 is £519 at the moment but I think I'd prefer the OP7T tbh.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

butt dickus posted:

You listen to music for 8 consecutive hours every day? I know I'm not a music fan but that seems pretty extreme to me.

I'm still using wired earphones at work but I'm music all day more or less. During car commute, almost entirety of work day, car commute home, on speakers when lifting, headphones until bed while on computer.

Pretty much the same working from home but on stereo instead of earphones :shrug:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

PageMaster posted:

It looks like Pixel 4's are $300 off right now which might make ''settling' for the budget 4a a little harder if you need a phone right now.

Not in the UK. Not yet, anyway. Looks like I'm waiting for the 4a if it doesn't since the OP8 too much for my tastes. My OP3 battery is fuuuuuuucked.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
All the design render 'leaks' have a fingerprint sensor on the back. Who knows if they're legit.

Gonna be a tough choice for me. I can get £170 off the OP8 after trading in an iPhone 8 until May 21st, bringing it down to £430 - out of stock at the moment though, but need to see the specs and prices on the 4a first. It's almost certainly not going to have a 90hz screen but if it's like £300-350 it's gonna tempt me.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, it's on offer too so my trade in would put it at £300. Gonna be a pain trying to send that in right now though and need to find a case too. Wish they had a timer on the offer so I could wait and see how the 4a compares but I'm doubting it's going to be as good.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The 4a's camera will be better, but the OP8 will be better in pretty much every other way.

If you can get a good deal on the OP8 it's a decent phone, but the main camera sensor just isn't large enough for the pixel count and the dynamic range suffers. I mean, it's the same deal for the 7T too, it's just that it's generally cheaper which makes it easier to overlook.

Went with the 7T for £300. It's cheaper than what I paid for my OP3 and I doubt the 4a is going to have anything that pulls me in. I'm not that bothered about cameras.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

iPhone is just never going to be an option for me until they modernize their UI. It still looks straight out of 2010 and it just rubs me the wrong way.

I thought about doing the same recently because I had a spare iPhone 8 but I had to use my work iPad for more than 1 minute and remembered how poo poo and frustrating the UI is to use. I also read they don't even let you pick default apps also and decided it wasn't worth the hassle of switching.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Never realised how much I relied on the notification LED and how much I'd miss it until I got this OP7T. Too bad they couldn't come up with an alternative like putting it around the charging port or near the speaker holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'd definitely had bought the Nord if it came out sooner, but my OnePlus 3 was becoming unusable and I got it cheaper than £379 anyway with trade ins.