Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Wrist Watch posted:

Nova launcher is cool and all but I just wish google would stop changing poo poo for no reason with zero warning.

Google didn't get rich by paying people to test products; that's what customers are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mister Facetious posted:

Google didn't get rich by paying people to test products; that's what customers are for.

Their UX team is pretty active in San Francisco though, I've done a few of their tests and they usually give a $100 gift-card as a reward.

If you live in the bay area, use Android, and contribute to Google services (Like becoming a Local Guide on Maps.) They'll eventually reach out to you with a survey that puts you on the volunteer list for their tests.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Tetrabor posted:

Their UX team is pretty active in San Francisco though, I've done a few of their tests and they usually give a $100 gift-card as a reward.

If you live in the bay area, use Android, and contribute to Google services (Like becoming a Local Guide on Maps.) They'll eventually reach out to you with a survey that puts you on the volunteer list for their tests.

The total spend for them doing that is so incredibly miniscule vs the scale of the product that it's laughable.

Also that entire area is probably a hilariously skewed bubble of people to get hands on their products.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

Getting what you pay for has never been more correct

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't mean you specifically, I mean their approach to avoiding actually hiring and paying people.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't mean you specifically, I mean their approach to avoiding actually hiring and paying people.

That's a fair assumption, I couldn't say how many testers are on their internal team vs how much they use their volunteer program. But, 30 minutes of my time to test their upcoming features is well worth the hundo.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have a done of their tests in the bay area and I do like how they completely ignore anything I give feedback on.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Got the dark mode on the Google Play Store today on my OnePlus 6T. Much nicer on my eyes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Despite all the issues I've got with my Pixel 3 in terms of shite memory management and sporadically stuttering performance, the camera realty is a godsend. I got married a few weeks ago and was on honeymoon last week, and being able to take pics like this that we can save forever really is priceless. My wife has an iPhone XR and it really struggles to take a good shot outside of great lighting conditions with the default point and shoot mode.

This took about 5 seconds from pocket to picture. The light wasn't very good but I think it's a great shot.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 8, 2019

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Is the 3a a worthwhile upgrade from an og pixel? My xl is starting to be annoying in a lot of little ways and while I could try a factory reset I haven't done that since I had the safety net of titanium backup so it makes me nervous to trust Google's back ups. Buying a 3a even if it's a small upgrade means I can at least verify I didn't lose anything during the switch.

Am I being dumb?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Horn posted:

Is the 3a a worthwhile upgrade from an og pixel? My xl is starting to be annoying in a lot of little ways and while I could try a factory reset I haven't done that since I had the safety net of titanium backup so it makes me nervous to trust Google's back ups. Buying a 3a even if it's a small upgrade means I can at least verify I didn't lose anything during the switch.

Am I being dumb?

It's three years old, I think it's a move worth making.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Agreed, I am being dumb. Amazon listed a few renewed 3a XLs for 360 so I jumped on one of those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Horn posted:

Am I being dumb?

It's a lateral to slight upgrade from a performance perceptive, but should be better on battery. The camera will be better.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just thought I'd share a random night sight photo from my P2xl from our trip in Venice right now. Phone is still the best

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Horn posted:

Am I being dumb?

I'd skip it. the 3a is kind of underpowered and I think the Pixel 3 is 400 on Rakuten with code SAVE15.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Conversation has kinda moved on, but Google has said they won't kill Google Play Music until Youtube Music reaches parity feature wise.

Who knows if/when that'll happen. I'm still grandfathered into the introduction 7.99/month rate, so I'll leave when they force me to and not a second before.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

Conversation has kinda moved on, but Google has said they won't kill Google Play Music until Youtube Music reaches parity feature wise

This is the company that killed Allo after saying it would replace Hangouts, while still keeping Messages.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So the Camera App 7.1 just dropped and it includes astrophotography. Sadly you can't activate it manually. You have to activate nightsight and wait for it to activate by its own. It's definitely a tripod thing though. Exposure is up to a minute. It did some pretty alright pictures though even though it's windy as hell and slightly overcast here.
Can't wait to see what it can do in good conditions.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CoolRanch posted:

I'd skip it. the 3a is kind of underpowered and I think the Pixel 3 is 400 on Rakuten with code SAVE15.

Was just going to post this. It's new too, not refurb, I believe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not android (maybe?) but it's Essential so it's android adjacent.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/08/andy-rubin-shows-off-device-with-radically-different-form-factor/

So, yeah, no idea what to make of this.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/08/andy-rubin-shows-off-device-with-radically-different-form-factor/

I opened this thread to post his tweet about it.

I wonder if it's using the Android for Feature Phones that Nokia was working on with Google?

Or maybe it's Fuscia?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I will be very, very disappointed if there's no included IR blaster.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wacky Delly posted:

Conversation has kinda moved on, but Google has said they won't kill Google Play Music until Youtube Music reaches parity feature wise.

Who knows if/when that'll happen. I'm still grandfathered into the introduction 7.99/month rate, so I'll leave when they force me to and not a second before.

I think it's time to switch back to separate MP3 players with microSD cards. Own your music again!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't think that would fit in my jeans pocket....

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not gonna lie, ever since I picked up a Nokia 3310 3G for $25 in a thrift shop (new in box), I've kind of been wanting a T9 Android device that supports stuff like Android Auto.

I actually used the 3310 for a day to see if I could and it actually almost worked. I could even browse the forums using Opera Mini! But no Apple Music and no navigation directions for the car are showstoppers (the Java version of Google Maps still works somehow but it just does a list of turns).

[Edit: oh and T-Mobile doesn't really do 3G anymore so I was on 2G the whole time which... Was actually fine, for the most part? It helps that Java featurephone apps were expecting 2G anyway so they're designed around that]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 9, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

asecondduck posted:

Not gonna lie, ever since I picked up a Nokia 3310 3G for $25 in a thrift shop (new in box), I've kind of been wanting a T9 Android device that supports stuff like Android Auto.

I actually used the 3310 for a day to see if I could and it actually almost worked. I could even browse the forums using Opera Mini! But no Apple Music and no navigation directions for the car are showstoppers (the Java version of Google Maps still works somehow but it just does a list of turns).

[Edit: oh and T-Mobile doesn't really do 3G anymore so I was on 2G the whole time which... Was actually fine, for the most part? It helps that Java featurephone apps were expecting 2G anyway so they're designed around that]

There's actually a push for decent featurephones nowadays using a common OS called KaiOS which a whole bunch of manufacturers use. Nokia's more recent featurephones like the 8810 or 2720 use it. Facebook/Whatsapp/Google Maps/Twitter/etc and all are available on an app store for it, though I'm not sure what the music situation is. Apparently it even has a decent Google Assistant implementation. Apps'll probably move along more now that it's getting more common.

Weirdly, it's actually based on a community fork of the abandoned open-source Firefox OS.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 9, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, I kinda want the Nokia 2720...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I can get the Kaios-powered Alcatel Flip 3 officially through T-Mobile. That shouldn't be as tempting as it is...

The Android Thread - Seriously considering flip phones in TYOOL 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think that would fit in my jeans pocket....

Yikes, an unsecured device being sold in TYOOL 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question for anyone with a OnePlus phone. What's the best way to transfer a backup from a non OnePlus phone to it? I currently have a Pixel 2 and and likely getting a 7T when it launches. On my phone I have a backup from Google. I saw there's a OnePlus app to transfer, would that be a good way? Or is there a way to use the Google backup once I set up the 7T?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are the current top contenders in the $200-250 range? My iPhone is dying unless I can fix the power button (which would involve prying it open and swabbing the lock button with isopropyl alcohol, and I'm not sure how I feel about doing that on something with a battery connected). Nokia 7.1 and Moto G7?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sorry, what's the good low-mid phones to consider around the range of the Nokia 6.1+ or 7.1, the sub-400 range in AU? Need to recommend something, wanna know what the options are. Moto G7 would probably be on the list if they ever updated their phones.

EDIT ^ good timing.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question for anyone with a OnePlus phone. What's the best way to transfer a backup from a non OnePlus phone to it? I currently have a Pixel 2 and and likely getting a 7T when it launches. On my phone I have a backup from Google. I saw there's a OnePlus app to transfer, would that be a good way? Or is there a way to use the Google backup once I set up the 7T?

It's still just android so everything that's backed up to your Google account will pull down on your OnePlus when you login to Google on it. I moved from a Nexus 5 to a OnePlus3 like 3 years ago so i can't remember what's actually backed up and what isn't, sorry. I vaguely remember all my apps getting pulled, but apps like WhatsApp won't have the data in them since they use the Drive backup and I think that might be a manual process.

They should also have that NFC phone to phone backup feature as well, but again, can't remember exactly what is pulled over.

Worst case you download a backup app like Titanium and make a backup beforehand and put it on your Drive just to be sure :shrug:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are the current top contenders in the $200-250 range? My iPhone is dying unless I can fix the power button (which would involve prying it open and swabbing the lock button with isopropyl alcohol, and I'm not sure how I feel about doing that on something with a battery connected). Nokia 7.1 and Moto G7?
FWIW isopropyl cleaning is perfectly safe, it is non-conductive. Just use a 98%+ solution (available many places; Amazon has it) and clean it out.
If it doesn't work, Nokia have built themselves up a short but stellar record with updates, so I'd recommend them highly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another recent requirement change for Android as that Google now mandates USB-C PD changing. So we should finally see the death of microusb on the low end and every phone should at least support 15w charging on standard chargers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bull3964 posted:

Another recent requirement change for Android as that Google now mandates USB-C PD changing. So we should finally see the death of microusb on the low end and every phone should at least support 15w charging on standard chargers.

Nice, but when will we see the end of USB A ports on everything else? Be nice when I don't have to include A/C cables or bundle adapters.

Not sure if we'll be getting retractable cables anytime soon though, they're really handy when traveling to pack up quickly but every USB C cable I've seen has been rather stiff due to thickness.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My god what is that new Essential. I mean I dont watch videos or game on my phones but I still view a lot of pictures, what good is a loving phone shaped like a chocolate bar?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

codo27 posted:

My god what is that new Essential. I mean I dont watch videos or game on my phones but I still view a lot of pictures, what good is a loving phone shaped like a chocolate bar?

Essential posted another tweet:
https://twitter.com/essential/status/1181734328130252802?s=19

It definitely appears to be running Android, so it rather seems like what I'm looking for--a Android phone that can run (hilariously stretched) Android apps but in a way that is... not quite optimal, so I don't spend all my free time shitposting on the forums.

I'm intrigued.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Since Android 10 came out I thought I'd try out Dark Mode and give some thoughts as a Dark Mode skeptic. I should mention that going in I was firmly in the camp of Dark Modes in general being dreary and dull and that they'll come to be with hindsight a reactionary fashion trend that will define computing of the 2020s that we'll look at like bellbottoms or tie-dyes.

I found a wallpaper that looked like it should go with Dark Mode and dove right in. Google could've made this a lot easier with some apps flipping automatically, some needing to be set, plenty of them not ready at all, but once it was done it's done and off I went. First thing I did was enable Developer Options to change the accent color but that was disappointing with no reds, yellows, oranges, or really any interesting colors. I went with Cinnamon but maybe the Pixel 4 will have more as it's rumored to. Either way the accent colors are terrible and really if you're going to make the notification pane pure black something that doesn't look washed out would improve things immensely.

As for everything else, I still can't help but think given the time Google put into this they could've done better than they did. Things just don't look congruent the way they should and while Material 2 stripped a lot of color for better app identities, Dark Mode seems to have brought back some of it so that's actually a plus. My aging eyes actually do see things better in Dark Mode which not only surprised me but really surprised me. I wish more things were true black rather than the grey they chose though. Too much stuff isn't really all that dark and looks a lot worse than heavier use of true black would have. Worse, I find that when apps do include a true black mode (Awful, Pocket Casts), they generally overstrip the color out of accents that would make things pop. I feel like it's easier to read in the content areas while being far too spartan in others. Honestly I blame poor guidelines more than anything.

In total, I was wrong before, Dark Mode actually does make for better experience in a lot of ways. It's got a lot of rough edges that I wish were more refined and every day I see something that I wish I could tweak but on the whole it's been a positive change that I'm going to continue to stick with and hope improvements are made. I still think it's a fad, but at least in use it isn't as bad as I thought would be by a long shot and if Google had some better idea how to integrate color I think I could even become a proponent. I know a lot of you are already fully on board but I still can't help but think it looks tacked on more than baked in which bothers me from a design perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

asecondduck posted:

Essential posted another tweet:
https://twitter.com/essential/status/1181734328130252802?s=19

It definitely appears to be running Android, so it rather seems like what I'm looking for--a Android phone that can run (hilariously stretched) Android apps but in a way that is... not quite optimal, so I don't spend all my free time shitposting on the forums.

I'm intrigued.

If it's cheap, I'll buy it.