Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

To be honest, it seems like not even Google itself can be trusted with this poo poo. How long did people complain about the memory leaks in 5.0 when it first came out on Nexus phones? Remember when Google hosed up video playback on some of the Nexus tablets? Remember when the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would just lose all it's cell radios until you either restarted the phone or toggled airplane mode on/off?

*Triggered
You just gave me GNex flashbacks.
You can't get anymore "samsunged" than that and it was completely 'stock'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Internet Explorer posted:

Never had a screen protector or a case on any of my Android phones since the Nexus S and never had a screen scratch or break. Treat your poo poo with care and you're good.

This is me I feel you.

I currently have an m8 and I dropped it last week putting a pretty rough dent in the bottom left corner of the phone.

I have friends who have grip tape and clearly it's a running joke on this board but I'm not quite sure where to buy it.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've finally come to terms with it, my hands are too small for this phone :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My m8 (at&t) has slowed to a barely usable turd over the past few weeks. I only have around 4gb of (non sd) storage left. Could this be the problem? Should I just take the thread's advice and do a developer reset?

I kind of suspect this might have something to do with an HTC "sns" update I installed about a month ago. I accidentally let it install itself and ever since my battery life and phone performance has been rear end.

I'm never buying a non-stock phone again. I thought we were past this but no. :argh:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr Newsman posted:

Find a new running buddy hahahahahahhaha

e: a factory reset might help. Maybe.

Lol it took me a second to get that.

This is depressing :( - I'm considering just selling this and buying a moto g to ride out the rest of my contract with.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

TenaciousTomato posted:

Textra is the poo poo

Truly, I moved over from hangouts yesterday and I'm not going back.

Also, I've noticed that my phone slows to a crawl whenever I have Google play music open. I've tried clearing the app data several times to no avail. The past few days I've only been using poweramp and my phone has been 1000x more usable. Anyone else have a similar experience with Google play music? It seems to me that since they started pushing their radio thing the app is just too bloated for its own good.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FAUXTON posted:

What are you going to do when headphone jacks stop being standard?

Wait until koss starts making bluetooth portapros.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 2, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone else have charging port issues on basically any phone using microUSB? I had this same issue on my old phone, SGS3, and now I have it on my Nexus 6. Basically it just stops working out of nowhere. Idk what to do bc I'm out of warranty but if I wanna pay off my phone and get a new one it's like $250+ (plus whatever the cost of the new phone is). Right now I'm using a wireless charger but it's not the same. I miss my quick charge.

Yes, I've had issues with every micro-USB phone I've ever owned. Sometimes it's just the cable going bad, sometimes as another user said it's because lint or whatever got in the port, but I managed to kill the USB ports on my past two phones after about 2 years.

I really can't wait for USB-C to become standard so we can all put the micro-usb days behind us.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I've never broken a USB port but then I only plug something into it twice a year.

ilkhan posted:

I sold my N5 to my mom, and she commented the port took a firm push to actually get it connect.
No poo poo, its been plugged in about 5 times in 2 years.

Is there a general carrier chat thread, though?

None of the Android phones I've owned have supported wireless charging. I went from a Gnex to an S3 to an M8. I haven't had any trouble with the m8's port so far, but I have managed to kill 2 micro USB cables since I got it about a year and a half ago.

Also I've given up all hope of the AT&T m8s ever receiving marshmallow :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I was responding more to his statement that in general tech bugs aren't so bad:

Yes, even without that the power adapter on my MagSafe MBA is the best and most reliable I've had on any laptop but it's irritating that for want of a little bit more rubber I wouldn't be on my third one.

Which generation of MBA do you have? My circa 2007 white macbook came with a noticeably stronger magsafe cable than the one on my 2013 rMBP. It was so noticeable that from the day I got it I've gone out of my way to be even more careful with it.

I think they just cheaped out a little bit on magsafe 2.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I just factory reset my m8 and it went from being a useless POS to 'like new'.

Faith in Android restored. :c00l:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My AT&T M8 just got a 1gb update yesterday but everytime I try to install it my phone throws up the recovery screen with a notification saying that the install was unsuccessful. I gives me the option to install it from the phone storage but I have no idea where it saved the update file.

Should I just factory reset my phone and try again or is there a better way. I'm assuming it's marshmellow (7 months late).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FAUXTON posted:

Probably gonna have to reset your phone m8

This will be the third time I've had to reset this POS.

Carrier android phones - not even once.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr. Powers posted:

I think it needs to be done once to truly know to never do it again.

I'm getting a 5x in two months when my current contract ends. There's a good chance I might destroy this thing in a fit of frustration before then though.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Is it illegal to love my S7 here?

I've already contacted the authorities. :frogdowns:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I dropped my m8 in the Ocean a few days ago and ordered a 2nd generation moto E from motorola.

How is motorola (lenovo) with delivery? I didn't expect this thing to have an estimated shipping time of 2 weeks (with no expedited shipping option I might add).

Am I ever going to get this phone? I only need it for about a month until I finally get a lovely job and can get a new phone and switch carriers.

I should have just ordered a used one off of ebay :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Finally got my moto E in the mail today. After a 3 hour call with AT&T I finally got it to work with my microsim.

This phone is slow as hell but I wasn't expecting anything else. I miss quick charging and playing pokemon go (the phone doesn't support it). Other than that though I'm just glad to have a phone again.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blue Train posted:

it happened on both the stock rom on my moto g and in cyanogenmod so I assume it was intended behavior

I've noticed this behavior on every phone I've owned that had lollipop and up.

It's really annoying because I pretty much use my phone to listen to music through my car stereo so the volume is pretty much always all the way up except for the times android gives me this warning.

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

twoski posted:

I would have gotten a Nexus but i am on a family contract and for whatever reason they do not offer the nexus. i was able to get the s7 for 50 bucks which is a solid deal, it's just the lovely samsung software that i dislike.

i've dealt with samsung's crap before but it seems like with each iteration they add some 'feature' in that makes it harder to do these kinds of customization.

I bought a Moto E v2 a few months ago for $40 cash and I prefer it to every Samsung flagship I've ever used. Except for the occasional 10-15 second freezes when I'm trying to do too many things at once and run out of ram it's the ultimate poverty smartphone.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
No longer broke so I'm looking for a phone to replace my 2nd gen Moto E. I've actually kind of enjoyed using this phone over the past few months but I'm tired of owning a poverty phone.

Anyone have any experience with the Moto G4+? It's either that or a 5x. I've also been looking at the OPO 3T but I'd have to wait a month or so before I could afford that (with my current poverty line budget).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I'd honestly pick the G4+ given the issues the 5x has been having and the price to which you are constrained.

What issues?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife likes her g4+. It's a pretty fast phone and takes decent pictures

So they camera is decent? The camera on the Moto E 2g is close to unusable and I recently sold my DSLR to fund my synth hoarding habit so the camera is a at least a little bit important to me.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one after my next pay period.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea she likes it and the pictures come out pretty well

Cool I'll place my order once I get my next paycheck then! :frogc00l:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Wacky Delly posted:

Hey, other than battery life, the gnex wasn't that bad. (the battery life was terrible)

(triggered)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My roommate gave me her old Nexus 5 and the battery is starting to go.

How easy is it to replace the battery in a Nexus 5? Is it worth attempting?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Melraidin posted:

I tried to replace the battery on my Nexus 5. After fixing the speaker the battery was the only thing that was causing me issues. Got a reasonably priced battery, tried the replacement, then found my phone whining that the cache partition was not writable. At this point the only way to rescue the phone would be to replace the motherboard, not worth it.

If you are going to try replacing the battery my only suggestion is to allow the battery to drain completely. That was something people suggested in threads talking about the issue I encountered. Of course, no one mentioned it in discussions of how to replace the battery. Whether that will actually avoid the problem is a gamble though. Or, maybe my phone failed for other reasons, no way to be certain.

Noted - I'm probably just going to keep a charger in my bag until I can afford a Moto G. I really need a phone and can't afford messing the N5 up.

That said I really like the N5 - I can see know why this tread loves it so much.

Is the Moto G+ worth the extra money?

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 17, 2017

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blue Train posted:

It has a fingerprint reader and better camera and is otherwise the same so it depends on whether those are worth the extra money to you

I don't care about either of those things so I guess I'm getting the regular G. Is the performance about the same as the N5?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Google Assistant can't even make a sandwich smh

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

M. Propagandalf posted:

E/N:

What ultimately did the N4 in was the garbled USB port

This is what happened to my gnex and my s3. I hope USB C ports prove to be more durable than micro USB. I just got a OP 3T as a gift from a well to do friend and I'm so glad to be out of micro USB hell.

Of course the gnex always had poo poo battery life and I was more than happy to get rid of it. I bought a aftermarket 3600mah battery (stock was like 1600mah IIRC) and it still barely made it through the day.

I think I've only seen two people irl using a Nexus 4. I feel like it was the least popular nexus phone for some reason.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blue Train posted:

Gboard should not suggest emojis. I hate it.

I know Swiftkey has this as an option that is not enabled by default. I use emoji's occasionally but I also find it annoying.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

darkhand posted:

What's wrong with the one plus?

The company is very questionable at best and it's driven by meme marketing. Also their customer service and quality control are terrible.

That said I received a OP 3T as a gift from a wealthy friend after my N5 unceremoniously died and I actually love it. That said I was lucky enough to get one that has no noticeable issues.

I personally don't think it's a bad budget option (for the kind of phone it is) but the moto offerings are far more reliable option.

Also I've never used more than 3 of the 6 gigs of ram on this phone lmao.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bull3964 posted:

Hey, if he had more RAM, the joke wouldn't keep reloading.

Having more than 4gb of RAM in a phone is just a meme.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

SinineSiil posted:

Oneplus 3 has a really really weak vibration motor, do most new phones have it that weak? Short impulses feel like slight tickle in hand and even when it's on hard table I can barely hear it from other room. My old HTC One Mini and dumbphones preceding it had way stronger vibration.
I will hate going back to using ringtones because of this stupid shortcoming.

Another negative thing I noticed was how dim the backside led is, also compared to HTC One, but this doesn't really matter because it's still perfectly usable.

I've had a similar experience with my 3t. I kind of like it though because the 2nd Gen moto e I was using before had the most violent vibration motor I've ever seen. That said I still miss texts and stuff sometimes because of the weak vibration.

Seriously people would ask me to switch it off vibrate if it was going off on a table or something.

The back led doesn't matter to me because I carry a small AAA flashlight around.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's a good case for the Nexus 3T?

I bought the carbon fiber cover from OnePlus but I don't trust it to protect my phone lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

PerrineClostermann posted:

The benefits of BT do not outweigh the unreliability of it enough to flat replace 3.5mm jacks.

I have never had a single bluetooth device, be it wireless headphones, car stereos, home theater systems (receivers that supported bluetooth) work reliability on any of the 5 different phones I've owned after the past 4 years. It's really bad imo.

I feel like a lot of the bluetooth defenders ITT are in denial like most of us were in 2011 with the Galaxy Nexus. In a few years when bluetooth 8.0 or whatever comes out and it actually works I bet you'll look back at these days and wonder how you managed to deal with it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thermopyle posted:

This is a bad post that reasons from anecdotes.

I don't think(?) anyone here that says they're fine with BT is saying people who are having problems are making it up.

You should try extending the same courtesy.

Fair enough. I'll concede that it was a pretty trash post but I really am frustrated with my personal experiences with bluetooh. Maybe I've just had bad luck or haven't bought the right stuff :shrug:

I do want to get a pair of cheap bluetooth buds to give it another change though. I think I'm going to check out those Anker buds.

Also is this still an anti-Oneplus thread or nah?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

elmer chud posted:

I don't know that that is the case because they definitely use Snapchat and Instagram and will likely move on to whatever the next popular social networking platform is. Facebook Messenger and SMS seem to be the most prevalent messaging platforms I see in use now, while some people use Signal or Telegram or Discord. I've also seen a few people use GroupMe.

I pretty much only see people in the US using SMS and facebook messenger. I'm seeing FB messenger less and less though lately...

Honestly outside of Snapchat and Instagram Americans don't seem to give a single gently caress about their phones as long as it (sort of) works.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bull3964 posted:

The real answer is SMS has traditionally been cheap in the US with unlimited SMS/MMS being part of plans pretty early and people get set in their ways.

Then everyone who bought an Apple device went to iMessage and people on Android just kept using SMS to talk to those people.

There was never this big push to get around SMS fees by using a chat app.

Idk why but I never realized this tbh but it makes sense.

I remember seeing memes a few years ago on twitter where girls were making fun of guys that had "green text". The suggestion being that if you owned an android phone you were poor and they could tell the second they got the text. I think that sums up the state of American messaging apps pretty well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
How often do you guys upgrade your phones?

I only buy a phone once like every 4 years and only then because usually they start to get wonky around that time.

I honestly have no interest in any of the devices that are being announced. I bought a Oneplus 3t and yeah lol oneplus but seriously I think this phone is good enough and assuming that it doesn't break first I plan on riding it out until it no longer holds a charge.

I just really hope the headphone jack trend dies (even though I know deep down that it won't). I have so many different headphones that I use on my phone that I'm just not willing to give up and I have yet to be impressed with a bluetooth headset.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

B-but my favorite y-youtubers all said that it's the best phone. Linus Tech Tips wouldn't lie to me!!!

I have a oneplus 3T and I actually like it alright but I've had a lot of problems with it. After 3 months the receiver speakers stopped working after an update. I wanted to see what oneplus support was like after reading horror stories and naturally they told me just to factory reset the phone and offered a RMA if that didn't fix it. It fixed it but basically everytime I get an update on this thing something stops working until I wipe the phone. I would be OK with this honestly if the phones were still affordable but for 600+ usd it's just unacceptable.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mister Facetious posted:

Adversarial/critical journalism in tech is either dead or never existed in the first place.

This is sadly true. Journalism in general is a joke these days imo but tech journalism is especially bad. All of it reeks of either fear or sponsorship. If they aren't getting money directly to give good reviews they are for sure afraid to give bad reviews because they want to keep getting "exclusive" demo items.

I feel like you only know if something was good like 2 years after then fact when they honestly starts to bleed through.