Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Mine has been doing this lately too, and it's pretty annoying. I think the behavior was introduced after the most recent update. Sometimes there's no little X in the corner to click on either, so you're at the mercy of the Android gods to make the notification go away eventually.

Check the new notification/privacy settings that lollipop introduced. They're probably set to "restricted" or whatever they're called.

I checked around and couldn't seem to find any setting that fixed it. Google's messenger and textra both work as I expect, so I'm going to give textra a shot.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Godinster posted:

It's in the settings for the messaging app itself.

The only options for notifications in the samsung messaging app are on or off. Was time I switched anyway.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

grack posted:

My Nexus 5 is still working just fine.

Same but Nexus 6. Google can the Pixel 3 be an updated Nexus 6 please that would be great.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

PerrineClostermann posted:

The benefits of BT do not outweigh the unreliability of it enough to flat replace 3.5mm jacks.

I was working on a ladder yesterday and every time I lifted my arms up over my head my bluetooth headphones would start cutting out. Also when bending down to pick something up, or turning my head.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sounds like a really crappy set of Bluetooth headphones. We can likely recommend some better ones, what style do you like and what's your price range?

I listen to audiobooks 100% of the time so my requirements are don't drop out words, and that's it. I've got 2 different pairs of $30ish headphones and they both have their own issues.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

spincube posted:

how is it still alive

I'm still using a Nexus 6 somehow. Please please pixel 3 have wireless charging.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is exactly what I do as well. Although I (arguably) messed up and went Oneplus for my most recent phone.

What in particular don't you like about the Oneplus?

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Camera on the back has never focused properly and I've had some pretty serious issues with the phone speaker. I've had an issue twice now where the volume was so low in the headset speaker that I could barely hear the person on the other end. I contacted support about the issue twice and they just had me factory reset my device (which in their defense worked but there were literally hundreds of posts on the Oneplus forumn about this issue on the Oneplus 3 and 3t and resetting the device only worked for a handful of people). To my knowledge Oneplus still hasn't not really acknowledged this issue and has not issued RMAs (I could be wrong). Anyways just look at the Oneplus forums and you'll see people with really horrible experiences because Oneplus is really horrible about QA apparently.

Thanks for the info. People are generally pretty vague when asked why to stay away from Oneplus. I'll go look through their forums a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

PitViper posted:

I thought about it. But then I discovered under gmail settings/manage labels, it had decided to turn off notifications on the updates label. Thanks google! Re-enabled it and now it works as it used to. Good on them for putting notifications settings in at least two different places.

Thank you for this I just turned on the Updates tab yesterday and couldn't figure out how to get notifications working.