Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Marluxia posted:

Assuming this is the Ultimate, is UltraRaremon gonna be the Mega?

They should go Gacha with the name and call it SSRaremon. And as a double gag it'll have spiky gold hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Funky Valentine posted:

They fuse Magnadramon and Ophanimon together, creating this horrific half-catdragon, half-angel thing with too many limbs.

Biblically AccurateAngemon?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I haven't made it as far as TK and Hikari actually fighting in the new series yet, but Angemon showed up pretty infrequently in the original and MagnaAngemon was stronger than Mega levels. Just banished Piedmon straight to the shadow realm.

To be more unfair to Holy Angemon, Piemon seemed basically unaffected by his attack until WarGreymon and Metal Garurumon literally blasted him into it. Furthermore, that attack basically never worked on anything ever again in any piece of Digimon media.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

That’s only established in 02 though, right? There’s nothing saying that in the original series.

They don't say it explicitly out loud like 02 does, but the original series made it very clear that Angemon having holy powers was a big deal against many of their enemies. Angemon defeats Devimon by gathering the holy power of all the digivices. Later, Vamdemon explicitly refers to Angemon as the Digimon with holy power and in that fight Angemon is actually able to do something to him whereas Were Garurumon was completely powerless. Even later than that, Angemon evolves and attacks Vamdemon and actually hurts him after a sequence where every other Perfect Digimon does absolutely nothing.

Burkion posted:

Holy Angemon later on gets chumped hard by SkullSatanmon which makes ZERO sense. 02 was not consistent at all.

Not really, by the time Holy Angemon showed up, Skull Satamon had grabbed a bus full of kids. If Holy Angemon had actually used his attack he would've killed a bunch of innocents. Meanwhile the other 99 era Digimon made a point that they were basically running on empty because the power boost they got from Qinglongmon had just about expired.

drrockso20 posted:

That at least makes a little more sense when you find out that SkullSatamon was treated as an Ultimate in some of his earliest uses before they settled on him being a Perfect and that might have effected the way they wrote him in 02

And it wouldn't be for the first time something like that happened in 02, that's the reason that Minotaurmon has both a Perfect and an Adult version. He was originally a Perfect but made a tiny appearance in 02 and wouldn't you know it, he was an Adult there and now we have two.

Marluxia posted:

That part of Tri made me happy. :shrug:

I tend to believe that Tri's decision to open by metaphorically killing off 02 cast was central to some of the very very very bad decisions that Tri made as a whole. I maintain that the stuff they did with 02 cast and the way they never engaged with their absence broadly reflected hideously on the 99 cast. It's also one of the reasons why it's so popular to speculate that Tri was rebuilt in midflight because it honestly felt like the absence of the 02 kids was a deliberate plot point in the first two movies, that SOMETHING had happened and their absence would be explained and the fallout from that would have to be dealt with. But it wasn't, movie six inelegantly brought them back because it had to out of obligation.

Tri threw the baby out with the bathwater and it sucked all the more for it. Frankly, if not for the 02 epilogue I think they all would have just been dead... Once again, there is a kind of bitter irony that the bad epilogue of 02 still stands as a bulwark against even worse endings.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adventure: Episode 40: with a few minor quibbles, this was probably Sora's best outing as a character in, gently caress, 22 years? Tri and extremely especially DA:LEK were unbelievably cruel to her character. The latter especially, this episode was almost the exact opposite of what they did with her in that dismal movie.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

Starting to sound like Adventure: might be making a clumsy but consistent recovering? I'm not going to catch up yet, God no, but consider me invested in finding out whether or not I might, depending on how it ends.

There is now some level of possibility that the final score for Adventure 20 will be "overall, actually pretty good but with a truly unfortunate middle section", which is a significant step up for the show from the late 20s/early 30s, but of course that still remains to be seen.

I'm hopeful, but I'm still not putting money on it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm of the opinion that if Konaka comes back to Digimon I want him to do an entirely new season. Tamers stands up extremely well as a complete work, to the point that coming back and doing a continuation on it might actually be for the worse in terms of quality and creativity. I would absolutely love another work by the guy, but half the reason I love his stuff is because of how he sorts and uses and builds his characters. In a sequel to Digimon Tamers a lot of that character work would already be done because the show finished and it finished well. I wouldn't mind a short (and preferably happy) epilogue, but I'll be pulling for something entirely new as opposed to something built on something old.

And I feel the same way for all of the shows he did, I think the stuff Konaka made is pretty complete including The Big O.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

I never got around sitting down and going through the whole CD, was it that bad?

I don't think I would say that, but it is notably and explicitly incomplete. And I kind of do agree that I'm not super interested in the direction it goes with material. I don't say it can't or wouldn't have been good made into the 13 episode OVA that it was the pilot pitch for, and it does build from the setting mythology of the original show (though it is still a pretty wild sequel pitch), but like I said I'd rather see Konaka make something entirely new rather than a sequel.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

These both actually look really good. Charizard Chardramon could probably even pass as a Perfect.

Or an adult, since the one on the right is just Coredramon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone I was talking to on Discord said it best: Pokémon aesthetic is actually very hard to reproduce

The original artist agrees:

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1375536782918356992

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

With Goddramon confirmed I imagine that Patamon's whole line was somewhat up in the air, but if I'm reading the new episode properly, Patamon's Perfect evolution is… Angemon! Like I keep saying, Angemon in this series is now finally as important as everyone always remembers him being. I suspect that if Holy Angemon shows up at all it will be as a extremely special one-off thing because people remember Holy Angemon as being even more important than Angemon was despite having a record barely better than Seraphimon.

Other than that the episode was okay. It probably should have held off a while longer before getting into the action, doubly so because I think this is the first episode significantly about both Yamato and Takeru. I don't necessarily mind the baseline series conceit of bringing in Takeru later on, but he really did have the misfortune to be brought in right around the point where the show started to waste its budget with empty excess and the fact we haven't actually had an episode before this point about the brothers was one of the many casualties of the late 20s episode death march. Considering that, I wish the episode had spent more time on them. And they could've definitely found that time, the entire sequence with Yamato in the haunted house amounted to nothing, the bit with the roller coaster also amounted to nothing, and the sequence inside WaruMonzaemon was broadly paced wrong and so was not nearly as disquieting as it should have been.

Still, at least it was functionally about the characters and didn't have a 20 minute long fight scene so I will take it.

Edit: Forgot to mention I had a good chuckle at Daipenmon's Analyzer segment.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 28, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I'm up to Episode 30 of Digimon Adventures: Reboot and I'm kind of blown away so far at some of the stuff I've seen, but the series does seem a lot more Taichi-scentric than I remember the original being.

It is way more focused on Taichi than the original, distractingly so. That's honestly one of the major problems with the series in that it isn't an ensemble show anymore and it broadly struggles to use its whole cast.

quote:

The augments of WereGarurumon and Metal Greymon were kind of neat! I get why WereGururumon gets the wings and they're very cool for WereGururumon's fighting style. I love Metal Greymon's Railgun, but I don't get the connect between that and War Greymon.

There isn't a connection between the railgun and WarGreymon. The additional Alterous and Sagittarius modes give Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon additional weaponry from their X-Digimon forms. Well, in the former case it's actually specifically from their Virus-type X-Digimon form, but the same principle applies. Incidentally, this is why the inside baseball line is that the evil black miasma goop is some form of the X program since it was directly connected to getting Alterous mode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I get that WereGururumon bulks up and gets hints of Metal Gururmon, Metal Greymon just loosely adapts the Machinedramon tail which has nothing to do with War Greymon except that arm turning into another claw in the digivolution.

No, as Golux demonstrates pictorially, I mean they literally just gave them gizmos from Were Garurumon X and Metal Greymon (Virus) X. Like, Metal Greymon's Alterous mode is so named because Alterous is the name of Black Metal Greymon X's blaster (and the attack is technically Positron Blaster because they aren't going to call it "Pandemic Destroyer" now are they?)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

Wasn't familiar with those forms, looked them up and they were from games I'd never played before, I only played the original PS games (Digimon World 1-3 + Card Battle + the Smash Bros knockoff), some of Dusk/Dawn, and Cyber Sleuth. As far as the Anime goes, I watched all of 1-3 and then a couple episodes of anything that came after that until Tri which I still havent finished :v:

You miss out on nothing by skipping Tri. I can highly recommend Digimon Savers and Digimon Universe Appli Monsters if you're looking for additional good seasons of Digimon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yep, it's this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm glad Super Raremon is that rare, I think.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can honestly say I was not expecting the episode about Raremon to also include the coolest Garbamon ever, with his assistant the most competent Chuumon ever. Also shout outs to having a Koushirou episode that not only felt like a Koushirou episode but wasn't an all-time misfire.

really hoping Professor Garbamon and assistant Searchmon show up again somewhere down the line, they were both awesome.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

Also, Searchmon having Koshiro's crest on his radar was so cute.

It was a nice touch, though that's always been on Searchmon. Searchmon is an Armor Digimon that evolves with the Digimental of Knowledge (from Wormmon) which is why the Crest is on its radome. Of course that's just another reason why Searchmon appearing at the end was a nice surprise. A charming little grace note.

And even putting that aside, I still want to shout out this episode again for having the best Garbamon ever. Before yesterday I did not even think that there could be such a thing as a best Garbamon, but boy howdy did this series prove me wrong!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tri Movie 3 feels extremely bad in hindsight because so much in it and of it was supposed to be set up for the back half of the movie series. The first two movies feel like they have an underlying theme of how the cast have lost something important about themselves and that they've started to make steps towards getting it back, then Movie 3 forces the issue and literalizes that loss but ends on the promise that Movie 4 will be a kind of rebirth for the characters as they reunite and reclaim what they lost to become better for it. And that doesn't happen. Movie 4 is a badly told and weirdly spiteful story that doesn't really address or build on the big thing from the end of Movie 3 and instead chooses to spend most of its running time kicking Sora while she's down for no particularly good reason.

And if we are talking about extremely badly told female characters in Digimon, I could also point out what they do with Meiko in general, because I wasn't super up on her from minute one, but god drat did the end of movie 3 make me not want to ever care about her or sympathize with her or really believe anything she says about how important her partner is to her. Yet there she goes in Movie 4 and onward hogging an awful lot of screen real estate. And the worst part is I almost changed my mind about her when she actually showed a spine in Movie 4, but then the bad touch stuff happened and nope, it was a fluke and my worst instincts about her were basically correct. I especially love how they treat her in Movie 6, where everyone else needs to hold her hand and REMIND HER about her allegedly super close friendship and where she has absolutely nothing to say during the final battle. God the last three movies were just kind of miserable, weren't they?

And it still manages to go downhill from there, all the way to DA:LEK which also seemed to just hate Sora viscerally along with all of its other myriad flaws.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In decreasing orders of likeliness the things I predict Toei will do for this event:
Put some art up on twitter
Print a Promo set for the card game
Release a promo thing for the Vital Bracelet
Release/rerelease a V-pet
Release merchandise of or for Digimon Tamers
Do absolutely nothing else besides mentioning it
Announce a new piece of Digimon media of absolutely any sort.

Edit: I have actually now looked at the site they linked to. They've announced some plushes, but of some cute art, announced a bunch of VB DiM cards, and a figurine of Dukemon. And I got that completely blind!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

Frankly. Would we want a Digimon Tamers Tri / LEK / Psi?

Heck, Konaka's not a champ at sequels, Big O 2 comes to mind.

I don't think that comparing a hypothetical sequel to Tamers to the Big O 2 would be 1-to-1 comparison because Konaka and others who created the first season have made it pretty clear that while they would like to make more seasons of the show, they had absolutely no interest and no intention to explain the mysteries of the series or have a conclusive ending to it. When the second season happened it was apparently mandated on them that they had to have some kind of explanation. And to be fair to Konaka and others we did indeed get "some kind" of explanation boy howdy. Folklore has it that the original draft of episode 26 was sent back to Konaka with request to make it even the smallest bit intelligible.

Meanwhile, Konaka has said several times "yes, I would like to make a sequel to Digimon Tamers, I imagine it would be a 13 episode OVA type of series and then it would wrap up." Considering the sort of work he does, I imagine that if it existed Tamers 2018 would have a semi-open ending and leave mysteries unsolved, but it would also probably complete the arcs of the majority of characters and ultimately be a justifiable ending to a show because that's how the man tends to end his shows (including The Big O IMHO).

And once again for the record I would not be super excited if Digimon Tamers 2018 actually became a thing, the thing I'd love to see is for him to be given the reins for a ninth season of Digimon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SpazmasterX posted:

Granted, I've only ever watched the subbed version but I can't imagine it's essentially any different. But even as a kid watching it week to week it routinely just annoyed the hell out of me. It felt like and endless stream of pissing and moaning from any character on screen. The card gimmick was immediately tired. I don't like a mascot character suddenly being important for digivolutions. Good god literally anything related to Impmon/Beelzemon or Jeri made me wish they both got deleted and the show moved the hell on. You imagine a scene like Beelzemon using Fist of The Beast King to be this dramatic character turn and it's so hamfistedly animated it loses any emotional impact.

Additionally, all the protagonist digimon are boring. They do nothing but eventually get to their final evolutions with nothing to spice it up in between. 02 spiced it up with armor digivolutions and DNA digivolutions and then Tamers just does nothing but go back to a straight line of evolutions. You follow that with Frontier which bucks the whole partner digimon concept and instead lets the kids become digimon and combine their powers and Tamers looks even more dull by comparison.

Oh and then you have Savers which is still the best season ever.

Yeah, ultra hard disagree on literally everything here. Savers was good though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 43: so I actually guessed the resolution of the episode just from the first five minutes, purely by accident Because I was JOKING. Hats off to the show, they legit caught me off guard in the best possible way and I couldn't be happier.

Mimi remains the best, if there was ever any doubt.

On the other hand, the actual continuity stuff in the episode was dumb. First off, has it been established that the cast have been navigating based on Tailmon's memories? Because the cast were told to go to FAGA by Lopmon before Tailmon joined them. It honestly looked like the Komondomon knew where they were going. Also, while I don't particularly care that it was resolved because it was not a particularly useful plot point, the way they just dumped it out of the show felt needless. And I mean I'll take immediately solving a problem over what the show did for like 30 episodes where once an episode Koushirou would pop in to remind everyone what the immediate threat of the arc was supposed to be, but on the other hand if it was going to be this unimportant and this easy, why even bring it up? I know that it was pretty blatantly just product placement for the Vital Bracelet, but I had some bad flashbacks to late period 02 where they invented a problem just so Black WarGreymon could nobly sacrifice himself for something and have the heroic ending he didn't deserve. Again, could we not have shifted some of this stuff around so that the alternate evolutions came out of data on the DiM card like you to think it would considering what product they are placing? And are we supposed to be on a time pressure so tight they couldn't backtrack a little ways? Because that is not in any significant way apparent.

Honestly, though, if the show can keep having episodes roughly on a par with this one I think it will ultimately be an acceptable, though not exceptional Digimon show. And that is way higher than my opinion of it back during the dead zone of the late 20s.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

https://world.digimoncard.com/rule/en_character_name/

Vritramon/BurningGreymon and a few others get officially ruled as not having a “Grey” in its name

It really is a pity they couldn't have named those cards something else, like, and I'm just spitballing here, Vritramon and Garmmon to go with the mythological/linguistic origins for the rest of the Digimon in that particular line.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leraika posted:

Don't be silly, then how would the kids know which is the Tai expy and which is the Matt expy?????

Maybe one of them can wear goggles and the other one can be associated with wolves and have a complicated relationship with his estranged brother?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I will die before I accept Creepymon and Apokarimon

The latter is especially bad because they actually used Apocalymon in the dub of the anime. As for the former, was there some reason they couldn't just be consistent with Daemon's name? Again, they used "Daemon" for his cloaked form in the anime. And while I'm not going to say that Creepymon is a particularly good name it never really bothered me, mostly I just laugh at it whenever I see it. Meanwhile, the dub names I genuinely hate are pretty much all from Frontier.

drrockso20 posted:

Always thought you could do a good bit where Daemon is this well known evil Digimon that even the villains of the season are scared of, but unknown to them he's already there in his cloaked form calling himself "Creepymon" manipulating things for his own plans, which of course leads to a late series part where he reveals his true identity and takes over the villain faction to become the final villain

I can definitely say I've heard worse pitches for using Demon in a storyline. For instance, you could have introduced him and put him over so hard that you write yourself into a corner and have to anti-climatically dump him off into another aborted plot line and hope everyone forgets about him so you can bring back a different villain for the finale in a way that nobody likes.

You know, if we're just spitballing ideas.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can honestly say I was not expecting to get a really impressive showing from Petaldramon of all Digimon, but here we are. Also, a really good 99 era Hikari episode, and appropriately considering the character it has a very different feel from a lot of other Digimon episodes. There's a lot more Kaiju movie in this episode than there is in many others, which is almost a curious distinction considering Digimon's very obvious influences.

Shout outs the group shot where Palmon has to use her vines to hang from something offscreen overhead in order to be in view.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 18, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Break the Chain is finally out, after 3000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTFMtvLGS0

Just in time for Metal Garurumon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Regarding tonight’s episode, Did they give MetalGarurumon some new powers? I'm pretty sure he didn't have those jets in his paws in the original series.

Next week, HolyAngemon

I believe they're new designwise, but not really in terms of functionality or anything. Metal Garurumon could always fly.

Episode was fine by the way. I'd argue that the proper heavy lifting evolution episode was actually the one with Mephismon, but it's not like it's a real swerve or anything that the Digimon can evolve to Ultimate when they push hard enough.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Titamon/Skull Greymon synergy is also from the official profiles, Titamon's sword is supposedly made from the bones of a Skull Greymon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Like I keep saying, this is the series where Angemon is finally as important as everyone remembers him being. Still, shout outs to Holy Angemon's first solo victory! He didn't kill Sephirotmon, but still. There is also some fun meta-stuff going on in this episode with them sort of justifying Millenniumon's overall appearance as well. On the other hand, the actual overall episode was kind of meh.

Balache404 posted:

If one of those silhouettes is what I think it is that's a deeeeep cut and I couldn't be happier.

Are you thinking it's Master Tyranomon?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I can't say I expected Millenniumon to go down before all the megas showed up. Unless no other megas get their own episode and they all show up here at once.

This is almost certainly how they're going to do it considering the summary for episode 50. Doubly so because a big group evolution means they don't have to do individual evolution sequences for the other six, only Taichi and Yamato which is how they been doing it for the entire show. And that's an unfortunate looking prospect because dumping them all into a single episode makes it extremely unlikely they'll be able to put over the rest of the cast well. I've never been hugely attached to the 99 era Ultimate forms but it would still be nice if there best ever appearance ended up being something besides the PSP game. Hell, worst case scenario is that the Ultimate forms are actually made to look less impressive overall than the Perfect forms were in their respective debuts.

On the other hand I could just be wrong and the unprecedented Ultimate evolution is just going to be Omegamon Alter-S, and man would that suck and man is that still kind of plausible. The summary says something about how Mugendramon steals their data so they can't fight and that happening to Metal Garurumon, so decent odds are that Cresc Garurumon pops in to get around that and from there... We'll see I guess.

On the other hand I am intrigued by the idea that there's going to be 16 additional episodes after Millenniumon.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 3, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

To be fair to the games the entire reason that Millenniumon kept coming back in those was explicitly because he was Ryo's actual partner so he kept reincarnating. It was the same reason Wormmon could come back after he died in 02. Barring something like that there is nothing stopping them from killing Millenniumon beyond the baseline difficulty inherent in killing Millenniumon.

Anyways, the V-pet for Adventure 20 had one more unnamed boss after Millenniumon so that's probably going to be our final villain.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I have nothing relevant to say in this conversation except that Mervamon may be my choice for the single worst Digimon design in the entire franchise.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can point out that for a while one of the Canon lines had Digitamamon as a Perfect between Ogremon and Titamon and I will die on that hill by god.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

finally, a basis for my "Qinglongmon's pre-evolution is Majiramon" theory.

well him and Triceramon apparently

Not a bad choice, and "Deva into Holy Beast" has been an accepted evolution for about as long as we've had Devas. Especially after the EU stuff came out about how each of the Holy Beasts in theory has 3 Devas that answer to them personally. Of course, the punchline is that while the dragon Deva is "officially" under the dragon god the only bird isn't under Zhuqiaomon, the snake with the turtle shell isn't under Xuanwumon, and the Tiger isn't under Baihumon.

As for Triceramon evolving to Qinglongmon I like to forget that particular aborted bit of cruft.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's a workable idea, the problem is it didn't work. And Triceramon into Qinglongmon is only the tip of the iceberg.

Putting aside that it's an odd evolution line, that reveal comes way the hell out of nowhere and is portrayed awkwardly, the whole scene is weirdly flat and lame for how important it should be, and most importantly and damning of all it DIDN'T MATTER. It reveals one of the franchise's oldest setting mystery in an incredibly hacky way and then compounds it by doing nothing with it either in that scene or going forward in Tri. It gives motivation for one of the villains, yes, but they eject her from the story in movie five without actually resolving anything with her. You would think they were setting up an appearance by Huanlongmon given what happens in that scene, but no they dump Himekawa in the ocean and that's it. Heck, I don't remember if anyone actually gets around to telling the actual protagonists what happened in that flashback.

The fact that the Four Holy Beasts were the original Chosen Digimon and had partners makes absolutely no difference to anything in the movies. Those Digimon could have evolved into ANYTHING and the plot would not have changed, and that is the exact opposite of what you want from a review.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Digimon Adventure Episode 48: you think Mugendramon is just cursed? Because that was a goddamn miserable spate of action, and looking back Mugendramon has never appeared in a good fight. I think the best fight scene he ever had was in Tri that was basically him jobbing out and getting slapped around by the ultimates which, okay fair, but man is Mugendramon unlucky. And the worst part is that if this episode had any budget or any effort it probably would've looked amazing. Like, I have literally seen fights from the original Mobile Suit Gundam that looked way way better than that did.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adventure 20 episode 49: there wasn't very much in this episode, and while part of this is poor structure, the other half is that it's comical to expect that we in the audience should believe that Taichi might actually be dead. I'm not going to bother spoiling that he isn't because considering the show it absolutely is not a spoiler to say he's alive. Meanwhile, while it is possible to carry on and make an episode about people believing such a farcical proposition, I also don't feel it is much of a spoiler to point out that the episode was nowhere near good enough to pull that off.

Anyways, looks like it'll be Goddramon saving the day next episode, and that's at least different from Omegamon like I expected so that's nice. Will we get a fight scene that's worth a drat? Survey is still out on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol wait they pulled the "tai might be dead" thing twice? it was actually pretty impactful in the devimon episode, of course its not gonna work a second time lmao

Yep, after the truly dismal fight with Mugendramon last episode it exploded and the rest the cast believed said boom took out Taichi in the process. Thus, a little more than half of this episode is about Hikari basically shutting down believing her brother is dead until Mimi convinces her to believe he might be alive. Non-spoiler alert: he is.

Incidentally, the reason it worked with DanDevimon was pacing and focus. That episode didn't lag at all and basically kept escalating right up until Taichi came back. It worked much more effectively in the moment with how they used the other characters, Taichi obviously isn't dead but Agumon freaking out as badly as he did definitely gave the scene much more weight.