Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hi, I liked Digimon a shitload as a kid, saw an ad for Tri on Crunchyroll and just binged that.

So...what's the deal with the near lack of 02 stuff in Tri? Maybe that's just coming in the later movies/episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

maybe jivjov, if you took the time to read any of the last few posts, you'd realize why 02 isn't gonna get much love

Yeah; I only went back about 2 pages, which were mostly dub/sub chat and first impressions of tri.

That said, I've been chatting with burkion and apparently 02 is just not well loved by critics and Japanese fans? Kinda sucks; my childhood memories of 02 is that the storytelling was way better in 02 than the first season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

Your memories are liars. 02 had its moments, but overall, it really dropped the ball on writing.

Yeah, more excerpts from my offsite chat; most of my Season 1 memories are from the really early bits when it was super formulaic and episodic (everyone getting their first digivolution). I'm just gonna have to sit down and watch the seasons again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So what was the reason for splitting tri up into episodes for the US release? I watched the first 2 and was complaining about the glacial pacing until I looked up that the whole thing was a single movie in Japan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TriffTshngo posted:

I feel like that argument went on way longer than it needed to because nobody was being clear with the answers. I don't know TOO much about the Japanese terminology since I grew up with the English dub but what I'm getting from this is that Paildramon is a Jogress Evolution, which is the result of advancing a level (Adult to Perfect) via fusion, while Omnimon is certainly stronger but not actually a higher level, and thus not referred to as Jogress and is simply a fusion. The whole "Super Ultimate" classificiation is a little confusing though, I'm not entirely sure how official that is or which Digimon it applies to.

Well, and then part of the discussion seemed to be to the effect of "Could Armadillomon make his way up to Shakkoumon without ever involving Angemon? Or is Shakkoumon explicitly just a result of the Jogress/DNA Digivolve, and Armadillomon has a completely different Perfect/Ultimate level all of his own?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Re: Digimon Power Levels

I don't think the show supports the idea of different digivolution levels being 100% accurate power brackets very well at all. Yeah, generally speaking a Champion/Adult is going to be weaker than an Ultimate/Perfect, but you're always going to have the outliers like the Angemon line. Look at the levels as guidelines rather than absolute fact and everything suddenly makes a bit more sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

paradoxGentleman posted:

This rule also applies to literally anything else with power levels.

I think it's just especially applicable to Digimon because there's not a strict numerical component. With something like, say, DBZ the power levels are presented in such a way that there is (at least ostensibly) a lineal and granular progression. With Digimon, there only 4 power brackets (+2 if you want to count the baby levels, +?? if you want to count every time they invent a new sidegrade or post-Mega form).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I assumed the 2s were showing up because they were evolving to Champion/Adult. Maybe we'll see 3s when we get an Ultimate/Perfect sequence?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Mind you the season 1 dub got away with a *LOT* of poo poo that wouldn't fly even today- divorce, being adopted, people smoking, Myotismon attacking regular humans and drinking their blood

People being adopted is a dub no-no?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Yet the funny thing is, at least for the first season (the second season I guess the Dub just didn't give a poo poo) they out right stated that Matt wasn't his real name, and instead that the more western names were all Nicknames.

I remember liking that as a kid, mostly because I was a fan of Godzilla movies.

Like I THINK everyone's real names were listed in the first episode except for Kari (which...isn't an English name I think?) except...maybe Joe.

I totally have a coworker named Kari. Although she pronounces it like Carrie, instead of with the long A.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6JoEBRVjk

From this, we now know Tailmon's final form in tri. The debate of Ofanimon vs. Holydramon is finally decided, as it uses voice clips from tri.

Skip to 12:54 thereabouts to hear it.

It's Holydramon.

How do I get me one of those Digivices?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Considering WHICH one it showed up in, you'd think they'd rather forget about it.

Then again that entire movie was just a bad fever dream.

So long as she does better than she did in that piece of poo poo, I'm up for it. The visual element of Holydramon flying around Seraphimon was pretty badass for the five seconds it lasted.

Also I realized the ultimate way you can sum up season 2 and my problems with it, that also apply to *BOTH OF THE loving MOVIES*

All of the Chosen across the entire world use the power of their hopes and dreams to

Give Davis another power up so he can save the day.

God drat It Davis.

At least Willis (or whatever his Japanese name is) got a Golden Digiegg too!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

How language dependent are these things? I miss my old digivice and would love to get this one...but not if I can't actually play with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

I honestly have no idea.

I vaguely remember having named menu options; but I know for some electronics, it's presented in English even if it's a Japanese toy..

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pretty good and solid, interesting take on Adventure. The two minor issues i'd say it has is that OVA quality means it looks very nice for the most part but still uses flashbacks a bit too often and the western release was handled by crunchyroll and they sliced the 80 minute ova into four episodes, so the pacing is slightly altered.

Yeah; I sat down to watch it not knowing that it was originally an OVA and was kinda grumpy after the first episode, because it doesn't really fit a 20-22 minute episode structure. So if you're gonna watch it, binge watch the entire set.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

So has tri ended or is it still going? I've been meaning to watch it but I didn't realize it had actually started airing until recently because I don't pay attention to things. So I might as well wait until I can binge it all.

Only the first movie of tri has been released so far. There's still 4 or 5 left to come.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

Oh so its movies. I thought it was a regular series. Neat, I'll have to get on that then.

Yeah, the English subbed Crunchyroll release is split up into multiple episodes for...some reason. But the original Japanese release is a series of movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rewatching the first set of episodes at an anime convention. Good stuff; I'm glad Digimon is still a thing.

Edit: oh, and this time I totally caught the beginning bit with the 02 kids getting wrecked. Not sure how I missed the point so hard on first viewing.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a bit bugged now that the Ultimate/Mega (not sorry; I grew up with the dub) evolutions from Greymon and Garurumon were done off screen, since Gomamon and Palmon got theirs as full sequences....

EDIT: Random thought that just occurred to me: Before Tri, had we ever seen Wargreymon or Metal Garurumon show up as a regular evolution, rather than warping from Rookie?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 16, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Omnicrom posted:

Nope. The vagaries of their stock footage means that War Greymon and Metal Garurumon were always warp evolutions from Child form.

Ahh, it was a stock thing, not an explicit requirement; that makes sense.

I do wish the Tri evolution sequences were just better looking versions of the ones from Adventure, rather than these brand new things...but oh well, the new ones look cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

tell me that when this thread doesn't devolve into yet more speculation about how 02 is being totally written out every time so much as a word of it is breathed about it, then.

02 isn't being written out so much as de-emphasized. The 02 story was a direct sequel and continuation..but Tri seems to be going out of the way to be a sequel to Adventure first, and only carrying over the bits from 02 that they absolutely have to, like Hikari and Takeru having D3s and Gennai being young.

Ken and Imperialdramon showing up is so far the exception...and we didn't really get any sort of explanation yet on what exactly is going on there. Seeing the 02 kids getting blasted in silhouette and then not even mentioned in passing just seems like a bad move to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

The producers have said that they plan to explain what happened as they go along. I think it's far, far more likely that they're trying to create a mystery than intentionally obfuscate.

something clearly happened. The Adventure kids haven't talked about it because, again, there's no "as you know" moments in the story yet.

They've got a new character added to the mix that could have easily been used as an audience stand-in for an exposition dump "yeah Mei, we all saved the world a while back. We had these other friends too...but we haven't heard from them since they all went off to check out X strange phenomenon!"

I'll be pleased as punch if everything ties up nicely by the end of Tri's run...but I can only currently judge what's been released this far, and in my opinion the 02 stuff has been deliberately de-emphasized in favor of Adventure stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Omnicrom posted:

I remember the scene with Taichi and Yamato on the ferris wheel where the dramatic punchline of the conversation was a shot that was lingering on the island where Omegamon crashed during the finale of movie 4.

That's a reference that was lost on me, actually! Movie 4 is the one I've seen the least; I had a postage-stamp sized RealMediaPlayer version of it back in the day. With mostly nonexistent subtitles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I think my main issue with the series is that cutting what was clearly meant to be a 1:30 movie into four parts fucks with the pacing. Even if you watch them back to back, it's noticeable. It should just be put out as one movie in the west, as I'm sure it was in the East. I guess they had their reasons. Quicker to release in chunks?

Yeah; in Japan these are just released as films. I guess Crunchyroll or somebody involved in distribution thought that Americans wouldn't watch it if it wasn't (artificially) cut into episodes.

The one upside is getting to hear Butterfly a bit more...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 16, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My wife decided to re watch the English Digimon Movie. I had completely forgotten about the lovely rap version of the Digimon theme, my god Tai never shuts up, and it's become so painfully obvious how they stitched together 3 different movies; I really don't know how I didn't notice that as a kid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Feral Agumom screaming fire at passing aircraft is hilarious.

But yeah, this really is nostalgic as hell for me. My mom took me to the movie in theaters and of course I wore a pair of goggles on my head when I went.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

And the soundtrack is amazing.

I was just saying to my wife...we've got this kickin' rad 90s as hell soundtrack over gratuitous destruction of apartment buildings and the like.

Like...people had to have died in that fight!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, the second act just kicks off with no real preamble "oh hey, a virus on the Internet! It's a digiegg! It's hatched!!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

I will always associate All Star with Digimon more than Shrek.

Oh god, I'm the same way and everyone acts like I'm crazy!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Was Mrs. Kamiya' health food obsession in the original? Or is that a dub invention?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hehe Infermon taking over New York is a great montage.
and I love that a random barbershop computer has a webcam.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love WarGreymon just going bare knuckle against Diaboromon. What a hardass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man: I'd forgotten how sloppy the editing in the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the film gets. It feels like we're missing the majority of the plot here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell is up with TK and Kari being on the train and suddenly ending up in the crazy Willy Wonka tunnel?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any explanation in the original for why Seraphimon and Magnadramon can just poo poo out Golden Digi Eggs?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Movies based on anime tv shows tend to do things that make no sense in the rules of the TV program to look cool, and then never acknowledge them on TV because some viewers didn't go to the movie.

TV Show
Protagonist: "There are nine levels of fighting, but I almost never go higher than six or seven unless fighting a top villain."

Movie
Protagonist: "I will start at level eight, as the power of the box office compels me!"

Villain: "Mwahaha I shrug off your level eight attack that kills off almost everyone on TV! His is because I am a movie villain and thus am unusually powerful!"

Protagonist: "I'll go to level nine, then, which has never been defeated on television!"

Villain: [pretends to be dead for a moment] "Nah. Just kidding."

Protagonist: "What is this power? Level ten?!!?"

Villain: "UUUAAAAAGH"

Protagonist: "I will bury this power in a place where it will never be found in a television episode. We must forget this ever happened."

Or, if you're on the tokusatsu side of things, the new stuff from the movie turns up again for another episode around the time the DVD comes out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

which is what makes me worried for future Shout Factory Sentai DVD sets since they currently don't have the rights to the movies. You'll get things like the Shogun Engines in Go-onger or the Dino Song from Kyoryuger (which shows up actually pretty early, I think the movie was still in theaters when it was brought in to the show)

I honestly don't think that will feel too terribly jarring for those of us who follow along with the fan subbing community; subs for movies don't exist until a DVD release is out and has been acquired by the team; so exact timeline placement and the first appearance of movie exclusive power ups tend to get a little fuzzy anyway. Plus, as was brought up before, the writers can't really make the assumption that every single person that watches a show is going to go see the movie; a smart writer won't make the film crucial to understanding or enjoyment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And this guy totally isn't Dr. Wily

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

So i just saw the first episode of digimon tri yesterday and holy poo poo what a trainwreck. The story was pointless and slow and boring. I would care nothing about these characters if not for my childhood attachment. The music seemed to go on forever.

I know the monsters are a huge part of the show but without them these characters are poo poo. Is this worth pursuing? Does it get better? Or does it stay garbage?

Did you watch just the first episode? Or the entire first block?

Tri was released as feature length movies in Japan, which are getting cut up into episode-sized chunks for the U.S. Subbed release; which completely fucks with the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

First episode, but i would have walked out of the movie by now

Finish up the first film's worth at least. It's a slow start, but it picks up as you go.