Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Oh please, Time hunters allready skull hosed your eyeball with terrible, this could NOT be worse than that.... unless they've not learnt from the mistakes of 02 and Time Hunters. Then we're hosed.

Right!? I'm not even sure HOW they hosed up Hunters that badly in the first place. On paper it's the best drat Digimon series ever and the second season of XW was actually pretty decent so I know they had at least SOME talent to draw from. They should have have had no problem making something at least mildly watchable but instead we got a boring trainwreck aimed at five year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

First time I hear that one. The only Tamers what-could-have-been thing I knew was that Impmon/Beelzebumon was meant to be the big bad of the series, before being changed to an antagonist that gets to redeem himself.

Honestly Digimon history would've probably changed a bit if Beelzebumon did get to be evil forever. We probably wouldn't have Baalmon/Beelzebumon in Xros Wars.

I'm actually really happy that the writers went in this direction since the D-reaper is one of my favorite anime villains.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the D-Reaper was a great villain. It was an automated deletion program that accidentally evolved and gained intelligence, but not sentience, making it both a better deletion program and causing it to realize there was more stuff out there that it could delete. It was basically the Borg; it couldn't be reasoned with, bargained with, threatened, or hid from because it was that relentless. It didn't need to be a scenery chewing, joke cracking villain like Piedmon or an ice cold sociopath like Myotismon, the thing that made the D-Reaper a great villain was just that it was the Michael Meyers or Jason Vorhees of Digimon villains: always coming to get you and impervious to your attempts to stop and the main characters had to resort to literally cheating to finally kill it.

I think Cthulhu is a better comparison. Something truly terrifying hiding in the shadows that you're only ever able to see bits and pieces of.

Re: Frontier: it was an interesting idea but poorly executed. Also the main character could have been completely written out with minimal effort which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, what? Did you even watch Frontier? Write off Takuya and Kouji and you don't have a series anymore. You can write off the other four and have no changes whatsoever, the series is horribly main/rival-focused, far more than any Digimon series before, to the point of making everyone else powerless to feed them.

Um.. No. If you write off Kouji you don't have a series anymore. Takuya, despite ostensibly being the main character, has no real personal connection to anything.

It's been like a decade since I've seen the show though so I could be forgetting stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I thought Xros Hunters was alright for a slice of life digimon show, and was pretty decent for a season that they found out they were making only a few weeks before Xros ended. Discuss how wrong I am

No it was still pretty bad. Xross Wars S1 was a train wreck too but at least it was entertaining about it. Hunters was just... dull and kind of annoying.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Can we talk for a minute about how wonderfully stupid Xross Wars season 1 was?

Me: "No what are you doing!? You don't need to participate in the cooking contest YOU HAVE A loving MONSTER ARMY!!!"

*10 minutes later their cover is blown and they just kill the bad guys to death like they should have in the first place.*

Me: "FFFFFFFUUUUUU"

It's particularly interesting to contrast to season 2, which fixed pretty much everything I hated but then nearly ruined the whole thing by adding tons of casual sexism.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

why do people act like 02 ruined their lives

it was a mediocre show with a couple of okay points and a weird ending

02's biggest sin in my book (well, one of them anyway) was that it needed one final arc with a villain that wasn't a rehash from the previous series. I thought that what all the dark ocean/dark spore stuff was leading up to but apparently that was just a tie in to the video games. If Tri deals with this and those hell-themed digimon that showed up for like five minutes in a satisfying way 02 would actually move into my "Not Terrible Digimon Series" column.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

I have a much longer set of thoughts if you guys are interested. I didn't know how much space I should take up.

That's fine. Don't hesitate to throw in screen caps for those who haven't seen the show.

EDIT: Kind of tempted to do something like this with Xros Wars now

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Some day I'll understand why the Japanese love throwing random English everywhere

Do they expect kids to be able to read that?

しかたがありません。新しいデジモンのための万歳!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

It's better than Frontier, but it still has a lot of issues, especially in the latter half where it seems like the writers had no idea where to go.

Yeah, this. I enjoyed 02 and think it introduced a ton of great concepts and potential plotlines (the dark ocean/the Daemon Corps/the dark spores/Devimon's connection to the dark ocean). Unfortunately none of these ideas are properly followed up on and as a result the whole thing is kind of a jumbled mess. Which is too bad because I'd still pay good money for a Lovecraft-themed Digimon season.

Come on Tri. Make this happen for me!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. It could have worked if they'd just had some real focus instead of the seemingly random meandering the story went to after the Digimon Emperor. They could have easily turned the Dark Ocean into enough material to fill two dozen episodes rather than resurrect Myotismon and kill him with such powerful words as "I want to be a baker!"

Yeah, the whole Dark Ocean thing was an amazingly cool concept and the fact that nothing was ever done with it is probably the thing about 02 that makes me the angriest.

Still doesn't hold a candle to how badly they wasted the premise of Hunters though...

*shudders*

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Hunters, what was it that poo poo the bed so furiously?

Ok, so while the first season of Xross Wars was pretty bad, the second was actually pretty good. It had decent characters, decent villains, actual stakes, and some good fight choreography. Hunters basically picked up where that left off, poo poo all over it, then rubbed the resulting mess all over the rest of the franchise. Which is too bad because the show really did have everything it needed to succeed.

The basic premise is that after the whole Digimon war a new dimension appeared. From this dimension came new Digimon that would kidnap kids and create a sort of parasitic partnership that they can use to get stronger. Enter out new hero, with the main protagonist and human antagonist from the previous series at his side as the only ones that can stop this new threat.

That's actually a pretty cool setup, but where it got amazing was when it's revealed that this other dimension is actually an amalgamation of every evil Digimon ever. And that a strange old man is rounding up every digidestined from every Digimon series to fight it.

It was a pretty awesome twist. Unfortunately the show does fuckall with it. You basically see a few cameos in the final fight and that's it. It was also painfully boring and it felt like they retooled the thing for an audience of five year olds. Which in a season built on appealing to older fan's nostalgia is pretty :psyduck:

Thankfully the first two seasons wrap themselves up pretty well so you can pretty much just pretend that Hunters never existed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the animation got lazy as hell as the show went on.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 17, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I wouldn't call the first season of Xros Wars bad. Very slow to get going and basic, but not bad. Hunters was legit bad though. But Xros Wars gave us DarkKnightmons Debut and his actions in the Deckadramon story, Beelzebumon's debut, Tactimon and Blastmon.

XW:S1 has two fatal flaws:

1) The villains generally weren't smart/threatening/powerful enough to be a real obstacle to a hero with a literal army at his disposal.

2) Almost everyone was annoying and/or SO unbelievably stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with your points and enjoyed the season quite a bit. Just... not always for the reasons it's creators intended.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The opening narration

The origin.
There exists the creator of the universe without a soul, Demiurge, and the true form of the world, Idea.
A single soul without shape exists as chaos.
Demiurge knows not of the existence born within itself, it knows not of the soul, it knows not of Idea.
The world created from itself goes on as a shadow of the true world.

Also Hackmon shows up.

So... The main villain is Azathoth?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That sounds kind of lovely to be honest :smith:

Welcome to the magical world of movies bassed on anime franchises!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Yo What.

Why do you like season 2. I genuinely want to know.

I kind of liked it myself. For all it's (large, numerous) faults it did a lot of stuff right and could have been a pretty great show if it had slightly better direction and more focused writing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yay! Tri is out! And it's actually pretty good!

My thoughts on the first 4 episodes:

-The animation is gorgeous! Holy cow this studio knows how to do backgrounds.

-Good fight scenes so far. The new evolution animations are pretty boss.

-The CGI is well done and well integrated but I can still tell when it's on screen and this bugs the poo poo out of me. This might only be a problem for me though since CG in 2d animation is a pet peeve of mine.

-The new character designs are fine but I think they lost some of the personality of the original series. One of the things I've always loved about Adventure was how different and distinct all the characters were from one another visually so it's a bit disappointing to see the designs go in a more generic direction.

-Mimi somehow became my new favorite character. Not sure when or how this happened.

-Still hoping against hope that the Dark Ocean will be involved somehow. I've wanted to see something cool done with that concept for over a decade now.

-As a former owner of a maine coon I love the hell out of the new digimon addition.

-Tai's doubts are reasonable should have been better articulated earlier on in the show. A lot of the drama this generates feels a bit artificial and I don't buy him straight up not fighting to save the city because he's worried he might damage it.

-There is much lifting from Tamers here. I approve. Let's get Lovecraftian and deeply traumatic up in this bitch!

-WHAT THE gently caress IS UP WITH THIS DUDE'S PHONE!?

Am I missing something? Because it looks like it closes in the most awkward way possible.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

For anyone who doesn't watch App Digimon, this is what you're missing...

I can't tell if this means I need to watch this show right now or avoid it at all costs.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Went and watched the first couple episodes. It's very obvious that this show was conceived in a marketing department conference room. It's not completely awful but I'm kind of mad because some of these concepts would be really cool in the hands of a team that actually gave a poo poo. Like, if you're going to give the main character an anthropomorphic Google partner at least make him some kind of detective/hacker/nosy rear end in a top hat who likes gossip so the pairing results in something interesting. Hell, at least make the main character smart enough to realize that their powers CAN be used in mundane situations (cheating on homework or something) because so far all the digimon does during the day is sit around.

Also I kind of hate the main character so far. He's not annoying but he is painfully boring and doesn't seem to have anything going on other than the vague motivation of "wanting to be a protagonist!". Honestly I think I'd like it more if they put the fate of the world in the hands of Gene Belcher that blond kid who wants to win back his friends with the power of his farts. That show would be amazing for better or worse.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Which is a shame because Appmon is a good show and features one of the best female protagonists in the franchise.

Wait what’s this now?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I tried playing Digimon Cybersleuth but then I got to the big tiddy’d detective lady and I’m like “Oh, okay. I know exactly what kind of deal this is and it’s not for me”. Then I put it down and promptly forgot it existed.

Sorry if you liked it but character designs that are incredibly horny for no reason at best just scream that the designers aren’t trying to make something of quality or at worst indicate they are just shoving boobs into a garbage product because it won’t sell otherwise. It’s also emblematic of larger problems with casual sexism in Japanese media which I have less and less patience for as time goes on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
DA:LEK talk got me curious so I gave it a watch. LMAO I can see why some people hate it so much.

It’s basically an incredible mixed bag of a movie that offers some decent character moments and pretty good animation but then ruins it all by going all-in on a bafflingly stupid thematic foundation/metaphor that basically says once you hit college you are now a complete and fully formed person with nothing left to learn so you need to stop watching cartoons and grow up you nerd! It’s basically calling Digimon fans out for still caring for the franchise as adults and is either asking them to put the franchise away or predicting they will do so on their own.

Also it makes this point in such a way that makes everything else about the movie stupider constantly.

For example why does Matt *have* to give up Gabumon? The movie presents it as if having a Digimon around (a metaphor for watching the show itself) is incompatible with a job or family and that trying to keep that connection going is in some way inherently immature. It even has a little scene showing this by having Matt leave Gabumon behind with TK for the day. But this conflict only exists because the themes and metaphors say it must. In reality everybody seems to already know what Digimon are and that the kids saved the world, so why wouldn’t Matt’s boss/teacher let him keep his Digimon in his cubicle or something? Hell, I’m pretty sure Izzy is doing that RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW! It’s a lovely character moment that only exists to make a lovely thematic point and boy howdy is DA:LEK full of these.

Which is too bad because aside from that I guess I didn’t hate it? It was a touch on the slow side but I really liked a lot of the little character bits and some of the animation (particularly the background art) on display was genuinely gorgeous. Unfortunately though that’s only so much of the movie. Oh well there’s still the reboot I guess.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 1, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the reboot a lot but the pacing of the show is super wonky and it feels like there's missing connective tissue in places. The current arc is actually a pretty good example because they go immediately from Devimon separating the kids to confronting Devimon on his home turf with no downtime in between to ease the tension a bit. In a better paced show (like the original DA, actually) there would be a few episodes of them hunting down his castle where you can get to know TK a bit and explore the new group dynamics before jumping into the climax.

There's also a lot of very weak character motivations in play, particularly the villains. For example we know that the bad digimon are trying to infiltrate the real world to do damage but... why? What does blowing up a bunch of random poo poo on another world gain them? and why are the individual Digimon like skullknightmon personally invested in this project? The creators may actually have answers to this but we're now over 20 episodes in and about to fight the big bad and we still haven't been told so it feels like they are doing bad stuff because the plot needs stakes in order to happen.

Still enjoying the show though. It's one of the few bright spots of 2020.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm kind of shocked how much I like Takeru. He's a headstrong kid who doesn't listen to Yamato much, but he's had the right instinct more often than not.

Large improvement from OG Adventure.

Personally I find the older series's TK's development from "the group baby" to "the powerhouse/voice of experience" in 02 and beyond to be much more interesting, albeit not perfectly executed. The current version is fine and I like him but it seems like he's already fully developed as a person and doesn't really have anything left to learn once he gets Patomon back which could make him a drag in the long run. It's too early to say for certain though.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 1, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EdgyCoffeeMug posted:

Why aren't people liking Digimon 2020? It's loving awesome actually. like actually every episode is mind blowing, the music is great etc. all the digimon look so much cooler in this one.

The show has several really good elements (the Mega transformation in the latest episode kicked rear end for example) but it's fatal flaw is that the writers don't understand how to write character arcs. Like, at all.

For example think back to when Tai make Agumon evolve into SkullGreymon in the original series. That didn't just happen. It was part of an arc where Tai had spent a while being an agro dipshit, obsessing over strength and forcing the gang to push themselves too far. This culminated in him forcing Agumon into what he'd wanted, something powerful before anything else and the results were horrifying. Tai's character informed the moment and in learning the hard way that there are more important things than raw power he was able to evolve the right way, giving the audience a physical manifestation of his growth as a character. It was a great moment and one of the most fondly remembered parts of the original run.

Now, think about Tai's fight with Devimon in the 2020 series. What was Tai's arc? Did he learn anything or grow as a person? No, the whole thing just sort of... happens. There was no setup for this moment like in the original series. Tai just randomly goes off the deep end because Takeru is in danger and then gets better because Angemon told him to chill out. Very little of the action is dictated by Tai's character, so while it was a cool moment in a vacuum, there was no underlying character work to support it the whole affair came off rather hollow.

Pretty much every major plot beat in this show has this issue. Why did Tai go Mega? Because it was a really hard fight and he decided to try harder. There was nothing beforehand to indicate he wasn't trying hard enough already, the show just decided he could try harder I guess. It's incredibly frustrating because the basic outline of the show is pretty interesting and a lot could be done with it in better hands.

Oh! And as a side rant this show desperately needs more sentient enemies. drat near every bad guy is a big animal or robot of some sort and it's SO drat boring. An animal is just an obstacle to overcome but a character provides you with an ideology to discuss and grapple with. Imagine how much better these last few episodes would be if the villains could actually talk and explain ~why~ they feel the need to hunt down other digimon. You could build a whole culture and world around that conflict but NOPE! Just random animals all the way down I guess.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I forget, if you discount Hunters (which I personally count as a sequel series considering it introduces a brand new plot, setup, and group of protagonists) is the finale to Xros Wars proper any better?

The second season of Xros Wars makes some dumb decisions like making one of the digimon sexy and doing casually sexist poo poo like not giving the female protagonist a proper gold evolution. That aside though it's a vast improvement on the first season on every level and I unironically enjoyed it from start to finish.

Hunters can eat my entire rear end though. Such a fantastic setup to a show just completely wasted...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah full disclosure I last saw that episode well over a decade ago so you’re probably right.

I’m not saying the original series was perfect by any stretch, but it did *have* character arcs which is why I think the current iteration feels so lacking in comparison.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm 3 episodes into rewatching the original Adventure to see how it holds up and the verdict is... kind of mixed? Overall I think I still like it more than the 2020 version.

The Dub is trash but I knew that going in. I don't hate the casting but I'd forgotten how many truly awful jokes they added in order to keep the characters talking constantly and a lot of the voice direction is really wonky. I'd be watching the sub but apparently that just doesn't exist even in fansub form which kind of blows. Fortunately it's not like one of the 4-kids dubs where the changes make the show incomprehensible so it's not a dealbreaker for now. Also the animation is kind of janky and in this respect DA2020 is much better by quite a bit. Though, I have to say the lack of lovely CG being used as a crutch in a way makes it weirdly refreshing (yes, I know that lovely CG is coming later in a big way). To the old show's credit though while it had shittier tools at it's disposal, I think it used the tools it did have more effectively than in the 2020 version where a lot of the less important action shots are just... not good. Also the general sequence of events being animated tends to be much more interesting in the classic version which counts for a lot.

On the positive side I have to say though that I kind of appreciate the "OK it's been 2 minutes, INTRODUCTIONS DONE YOU'RE IN THE DIGITAL WORLD NOW START RUNNING BITCH!" model of starting the story. It's clunky as hell but it hooks you instantly and then keeps you interested through the whole episode with quick pacing and very efficient storytelling (they introduce 14 new characters in 20 minutes which is pretty impressive). A bit too efficient actually. At times it feels like the show is being played in fast forward and it's really awkward. The characterization is really solid though, even in these super early episodes where the show is still finding it's footing which is making this an enjoyable watch despite all the issues. I'm having trouble articulating exactly why it works so well but you just sort of... like everybody and it doesn't feel like the writers are trying to force you to like them or convince you of how cosmically important they are like they do in the 2020 version. These are just some dorky-rear end kids who got dragged into some weird shenanigans and it's fun to watch them deal with their situation in a very organic way. It's not what I'd call sophisticated writing but it is fun to watch.

Also, I stand by what I said about DA99 understanding character arcs and DA2020 not understanding them at all. Episode 3, for all it's clunky dialogue and weirdly paced writing had a really nice emotional arc with Yamato going from thinking his brother is a pain, to trying to help him in secret by sending Gabumon to keep him warm, to finally openly expressing caring about him by playing the harmonica with him at the end. When I say DA2020 feels hollow it's because it's completely lacking in moments like that.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So in a super weird coincidence unrelated to anything posted or PM'd to me a whole box of secret official subtitled Digimon episodes just fell off a truck right next to me and when I called to give them back the guy said I could totally keep them which was very nice of the man who was extremely real and cool. So now I'll be able to see the original version which is nice because while the dub is a neat nostalgia trip I don't know if I have 50+ episodes of it in me.

Anywho, yeah so my early thoughts on the subbed version... To the dub's credit it's basically the same show. All the same plot beats are present and most of the same information is conveyed including the character's names which aren't really changed as much as they're tweaked slightly for American audiences (which is a nice compromise for the time imo). This isn't an early DBZ situation where they had to aggressively hide information (at least not often) or a 4Kids One Piece dub where they basically created an entirely new show from the shredded remains of the old. It's basically the same exact show only... better in every conceivable way.

Much like how I knew the dub would be bad but was surprised by just how awful it was, this was kind of the opposite. I knew the sub would be better than the dub but was pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I found. There's quiet moments now! People shut up occasionally! Sometimes for several seconds in a row! I can't speak for the voice acting since I'm not a native Japanese speaker but it *seems* better to me at least!? Also there's real music now as well and it's pretty good! I mean, I didn't hate the dub soundtrack (probably because of nostalgia) but this is not only a step up from that but possibly also a step up from the 2020 version, which I like but it tends to stay out of the show's way rather than stand out most of the time. And yes, Butterfly is the far superior OP if you were wondering (I'm kind of meh on DA99's ED though. DA2020 has it beat there).

So yeah, the Sub addresses most of my gripes with the dub version to one extent or another. It's still a *bit* corny and awkward but without people filling EVERY SINGLE SECOND with bad jokes the show feels much more naturally paced and character conversations feel much more like real things people would say. It basically takes the show from "a good trip down memory lane if you're in the mood" to "a legitimately good show that's aged pretty well". The only thing that isn't terribly improved is the animation, for obvious reasons. Shots that look old and cheap in the dub still look old and cheap here. Credit where it's due, I think the dub touched up the video a bit in localization to make the colors a bit more saturated, which I appreciated, but unfortunately the dub version was also somewhat compressed and has all sorts of video artifacts all over the place and as a result looks kind of like rear end. I wondered why they didn't just update it with better footage from the original show at some point (the subbed version looks pretty clean even now) but then I started noticing lots of little changes in the footage and realized that the dub had actually edited the show in lot's of subtle ways ranging from replacing characters talking about events to actually showing them in flashback to zooming in slightly on shots for whatever reason. It's not terribly egregious but upgrading the video would be a much bigger pain in the rear end than just swapping one set of footage for another and calling it done. Anyways the takeaway is that the sub also somehow looks better than the dub as well, which is weird.

So yeah, good show so far. Very much looking forward to revisiting it. Maybe I'll post an update when I finish the File Island arc or something.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LMAO I forgot about the poop throwing Digimon.

Toei give your next protagonist kid a poop digimon and make him figure out how to save the world with it. Do it you cowards!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

Sorry, going to have to have a hard disagree on this. Young Hunters was tragically bad when taken as an anniversary series (I suspect in large part because it wasn't supposed to be), but I see it as Xros Wars going on as it meant to start because I think the first two arcs of Xros Wars were real bad.

I have always called into question the idea that the series was more focused on the digimon characters and that they got most of the character development, because they kind of didn't. I struggle to think of how the series actually characterized them any more than the human characters, and that's not exactly great because Kudou Taiki was so incredibly boring he was my pick for worst Digimon character prior to the existence of Meiko. As for the rest of the cast? At best they're one note. As for the fight scenes they did admittedly bat above average for this franchise, but it wasn't for digixrossing because they really didn't do much with it. Most of the time when they did do a Digixros it was a one-time thing that didn't really mean anything in the longer run or were basically jokes. And despite having a whole army there was always explicitly the one digimon (Shoutmon in 99% of cases) who actually mattered in any given fight and even then they constantly jobbed out and lost a lot of fights and didn't ever look particularly strong. And don't get me started on the pacing decisions that series made because they aren't good, or how it told its own story because overall because it also wasn't that good. As for the music? Yeah, it was pretty good overall.

I called out Young Hunters in particular, but those previous 54 episodes really weren't much better in my opinion. Heck, I actually enjoyed Young Hunters more on average than I did the first two arcs. I would genuinely have loved for Xros Wars to have been good and appeal to me, but to the latter it didn't and the former I don't think it is. Appmon was a much better atypical Digimon series and I love it wholeheartedly. Xros Wars I don't.

So Xros wars basically breaks down like this:

XWS1: Pure cringe but sometimes hilariously bad in a fun way

XWS2: Actually makes up for a lot of the mistakes of S1 by having much more interesting villains and is actually watchable but still does lots of stupid obnoxious poo poo. I actually like this season.

Hunters: Went from a show for middle schoolers to a show for preschoolers for some reason and every aspect of it took a huge dip in quality. The idea of digimon weaponizing partnerships with kids through mind control or deception for power is really interesting but the series goes nowhere with it and then shits the bed at the end by bringing all the series together in an incredibly haphazard way and then fizzling out. It's worst sin is that it's incredibly boring which makes it the worst Digimon season imo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This episode was good and I like the idea of multiple evolution lines being possible under certain circumstances. I can’t even make my normal complaints since this was also a nice bit of character development for TK and Patamon.

Well, except for the complaint that there are almost no enemies that are real characters, just a lot of angry robots and animals. That still bugs the hell out of me. I’m a few episodes into the Etomon arc of the original series and I find it much more engaging in large part because the kids have such a bombastic weirdo to bounce off of.

Also I miss Etomon’s bad Elvis accent and am now substituting it in my head as I watch. Elvis Etomon is now canon don’t at me.

Also also, whoever said the Skullgraymon thing was a one episode deal was right. It’s literally introduced and resolved in the same episode. That said it’s still a proper character arc (albeit a small one) so I stand by my larger point! :argh:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Decided to watch the first episode of Digimon Universe since people around here seem to like it and it seems... fine? The animation is better than I expected (aside from some incredibly distracting CG) and I like some of the ideas going on like Digimon as phone apps or a web search themed Digimon.

That said I really want to grab the writers and scream in their faces "Outright having 'protagonist' be an in-universe title is not nearly as clever as you think it is!!!". Seriously, it's some real groan inducing poo poo that they make worse by having the main character's thing be that he sees himself outright as a side character rather than just letting that sort of thing speak for itself. I'm really hoping they tone it down as the series goes on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Digimon App Monsters watch update. Just finished episode 7 and all the main cast has been introduced now.

I don't hate it but drat does this show make it difficult not to sometimes with the way the narrator screeches at you constantly and how the show makes characters say their catch phases every five seconds to the point where it becomes their sole defining personality trait (I swear to God if I hear the phrase "Big Bang Punch" one more time...). It has a very "committee of forty year old marketing executives trying to make something hip with the kids" vibe to it which I'm not the biggest fan of. That said there are some interesting tidbits here and there like the main villain apparently being part of/owning a megacorp that one of the main party members works for which are keeping me interested enough to keep going for now.

Also while YouTube streamer kid is obnoxious he's also the only character with any sort of depth or complexity which makes him the best character in the show. Fight me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Seriously wondering if I'm being pranked right now.

On the other hand these Leviathan telephone dudes that nobody acknowledges are great and giving me Utena vibes in the best possible way:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Appli Monsters update: Rei's backstory episode is legitimately pretty good and I'm starting to see why people like Leviathan as an antagonist. The bad CG continues to be really bad.

Also LOL apparently if you remove Christmas from a calendar app the holiday goes away in real life. Also LOL Leviathan tried to destroy Christmas which has convinced me that he is good, actually.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
App monsters update: So... is there a phone app that will let you time travel that I just don't know about? Like, what was up with that guy? Also I continue to enjoy Leviathan being low-key the most sinister villain in the franchise just by virtue of having his logo show up in random places and nobody ever acknowledging it. It's stupidly effective and I'm shocked that this is the show that thought of it. Also I'm both impressed and deeply annoyed that the screeching narrator is an actual character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LMAO

Just finished the Etemon arc in classic DA. It's both shorter than I remember and longer than it needed to be (there really wasn't that much going on) but over all I liked it. Also holy poo poo the animation quality skyrocketed when Tai got back to earth. I remember that they got a guest animator for this episode but I didn't remember that it was ~this~ much better. Good poo poo.