Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love their faces, they look slightly pissed, like this punk's attack to destroy what they stand for came up when Matt was gonna go on a date or Tai's soccer game. Also the art is amazingly gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The movie's runtime seems to be 80 minutes, so assuming all six movies have the same runtime we're looking at 480 minutes worth of digimon, aka 20 episodes worth.

Also the guy that did the first digimon manga has something coming out but it won't be revealed 'till the 21st

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The book in Tai's room says "One Vision volume 2", which is the theme for Matrix Evolution in Tamers, the first "volume" of it going from Champion to Ultimate and the "volume 2" would thus refer to when the kids and the digimon combined for the Mega stage. :stare:

...or i'm looking way too deeply into it and it's just a reference to a song someone in production really liked.

Animation looks awesome as hell, can't wait to see this thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Is any other latin american listening to the new Butter-fly and singing over it with our dub lyrics? That last On My Love/Digimon feels so good to sing, specially if you repeat Digimon over and over to the last beats.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Dark Ocean probably will never get any focus since it was just a guest-written episode by Chiaki that was later used two or three times because it was right there on the table for the 7 regular script writers to use when they felt like it (hence why the later times didn't quite fit with the first episode's "Cthulhu sea dimension filled with not-digimons"). Like most of 02 it was just an idea thrown out there because there were way too many writers in there, the only good thing 02 ever did was get Chiaki involved with Digimon enough to be made the main director or something for Tamers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mateo360 posted:

about $105 back in April before the $20 EMS shipping at the end of July. :shepspends:

I think that's more than my smartphone...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.mx/2015/08/animedia-september-issue.html
So someone translated some recent magazine stuff, just general description of the chosen children, but interestingly enough Mimi is actually still in America. I'm guessing she probably comes back to japan early in the first movie, but still a really interesting choice.

Also Yamato is still in his band, just extra confirming that 02 did happen for whoever was saying it didn't.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Or, yknow, all these 02 references mean 02 happened. I hate that show as much as the next guy but half the promo stuff confirms this happens after 02 and uses elements from the show, one of the first things said was that Tri's premise lies in a line of the epilogue.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As awful as the ending is, it was something planned for Adventure 1, the jobs and all weren't, but to cap it off with an "And they all lived happily ever after and everything was rad" was part of it.
http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/53629782203/digimon-adventure-02-epilogue-jobs-matt-sora
(person analyzes a lot of stuff and comes to her own conclusions, but she's also posting translations to twitter QA from the director of both shows)

02 is bad and all, but come on, "unfathomable to have it in continuity with season 1"? Nothing really contradicts stuff from before.

Really, what Tri would most likely do about 02 is make use of how it ended (preepilogue) to build a cool urban sci-fi setting, reference a few things here and there and make it more clear why they'd pick those random rear end jobs. Like what they're doing with TK having a blog and Tai becoming more objective in his way of leading (which the magazine that says that directly says that it's thanks to giving Davis the job of active leader that he could cool down his head), so i'm gonna assume we'll see more of the kids sorta doing stuff that'll lead to their future jobs, specially since they could check on college stuff during Tri.

It's like, 02 is poo poo, just because it's poo poo doesn't mean Tri will be poo poo for taking stuff 02 did and using it to tell a story. Tri will neither retroactively fix 02 somehow, if they make the jobs all the kids get make sense then 02 is still poo poo but Tri is cool if the story of how those kids picked their future professions ends up cool. Like, idk, Phoenix Wright Justice for All is sorta lame, but the following game is excellent and uses a lot of elements and characters introduced in JfA to tell great stories and be fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You know that early phase Digimon shows have where it's just monster of the week stuff? That ran for 22 episodes and then had two ending ones and it was done. It was the most nothing show. You can check episode 23 to see a sorta decent fight where all the previous protagonists team up and a few other characters do cameo.

Burkion posted:

I could understand an epilogue type of thing if it was a one and done series, which it originally was, though I stand by my statements that such things wreck usable universes unless you want to mess around with time or whatever.

And a lot of stuff actually contradicts stuff from season 1, especially early on. The kids giving up their crests, which makes zero sense and goes against Our War Games, which it also has in continuity, the whole Ryo thing existing and tying that into Ken's entire backstory, the nonsense with Gatomon being so weak, and other stuff that I've brought up before in this thread. The season is a nightmare as far as continuity goes.

Season 2 takes in CD dramas, movies and video games of questionable canon and just shoves them in no matter how little sense they make in the grand scheme of things. Though amusingly the one movie they didn't shove in was their own.

The one neat bit of continuity they did keep was the weird gateway thing and using the Agumon card sending you to another dimension. Sadly that went...very poor directions.

I feel like those are things that can be explained fairly easily and are small, super dumb sure, but not 'canon breaking' like the kids gave up the digicrests after Our War Game, Ryo being included before production knew how bullshit and stupid his story would be, Gatomon's ring thing is stupid but not canon-breaking, just really dumb.

http://digimon-adventure.net/story/
Site updated! If you go to story and let chrome try to translate you get the gist of it.

Basically it's been six years since their fateful adventure, and three since Kari's team defeated Myotismon, then the gate to the digital world was closed and the chosen children don't know why. One day Tai sees loving Kuwagamon and chases after it, reaching an airport runway but then he's like "what do i do i'm all alone??" Greymon bursts in like in the trailer and says "Tai, you became so big!"

Looks like that's how we're gonna keep the 02 kids as just cameos, they ain't getting their digimon back at all for a while.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 17, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I won't even mind Daisuke showing up often on Tri if they end up running that job thing to the ground. Like have him always munching on garlics and stuff, in the background always staring at noodles, often running around from eating too many spices in his life-long pursuit of the perfect ramen recipe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That must've been pretty nice finding out after the trailer is out, specially since you only gotta wait until this monday for another (voiced) trailer
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-18/digimon-adventure-tri-anime-casts-daisuke-namikawa-yuko-kaida/.93091

Voice actors for "dude that talks to Tai for that one bit in the trailer, and is also a teacher" and "mysterious adult-looking woman" are announced in that link

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, the bluray (and DVD and iTunes release) will come out on December 18 (almost a month after it comes out on theaters in Japan) so if those don't come with official subs and a way for international viewers to purchase then it'll just take some time for a fansubbing team to do it. Don't think we'll even get to March before watching it subbed

Edit: im wrong, itunes release is on the same day! NicoNico stream before theater release
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-21/digimon-adventure-tri.s-trailer-2nd-teaser-reveal-voices/.93213

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 21, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I don't get what's so upsetting over that? They're just beaten up because the new baddie is the strongest force out there and so the originals need to step it up. It took less than a minute to establish that, so that's cool, and if you wanna go technical with power levels all you gotta say is that Alphamon is stronger than Imperialdramon, so of course only Omnimon can stand up to him.

I honestly expect the 02 kids to show up in a hospital at some point and warn someone about some important plot point we couldn't have known by then (like, idk, "no, it's not alphamon you need to worry, it's his partner..."). Getting all worked up because they were "killed" or that it's "bad handling" is rather silly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

vivisecting posted:

I'd be more okay with the 02 additions being missing/injured/whatever if it extended to Hikari and Takeru as well..... like why were those three fighting some big bad by themselves. It just doesn't make sense that 4/6 group members did poo poo by themselves and no one knows/cares??? that they failed.

It reeks of pandering, and not the kind that would make me happy.

In-universe: Perhaps TK and Kari aren't in the team anymore since the threats have stopped being so big since defeating MalonMyotismon, or the kids thought it was gonna be a simple mission and didn't need everyone, they assumed motherfuckin' Imperialdramon could take anything and simply went unprepared.

Really: because this is a movie about the Adventure cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://www.sky.de/programm-entdecken/aktuelle-highlight/beitragID/6491964

German Animax will show Reunion on the 22nd, Japanese with subs, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that the iTunes release will have subs for several language, so this Friday it's out even for us!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kuroyama posted:

Is there any news on non-iTunes releases?

If you go to theaters in Japan you can buy the BD while you buy the ticket to see it. Regular retail for DVD/BD will happen on December 18th, so it looks like for international fans iTunes is the safest bet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The world is beautiful and perfect and so very nice.

Kinda interesting that they say it's the first four episodes, I know it was originally intended to be an anime, and the length of it does suggest four episodes stitched together, but I sorta figured they'd just wanna not put attention to that and play it all as movies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So many great things, I love that Tri turned out this good and interesting and entertaining. Can't put up a thorough thought on this, but one of my favorite things has to be Loose Lips Gennai. Should've known he'd snitch at the first chance.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Don't give 02 too much thought, man. Lots of elements from it will be pulled but that'll make the story more interesting, like Taichi's doubts because we know he's going to become more levelheaded and work on Human and Digimon relations when he's an adult, which is as cool as Agumon's suit. Or the fact that there are chosen children all around the world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I just realized that I loved the orchestral Brave Heart so much I didn't even hear the sound effects and assumed the fight was mute besides the song.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

How about War Greymon in a suit

:perfect:

Also, we only see him for a few seconds, but goddamn I adore Wargreymon's design in this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope the meeting went like

"And then MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon throw attacks and"
"But how do we explain that Azulongmon only gave Agumon the sphere of energy to evolve?"
"...Anyways now they can also fight during the warp evolution, so Greymon and MetalGreymon get some hits in, and also Garurumon can warp evolve to MetalGarurumon"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They wanted a Digimon that could use KNIFE OF DAY as an attack.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mad props for Our War Game for being such a cool movie and for Mamoru Hosoda to just say gently caress it and redo it all over again and make it better in Summer Wars.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dislike most of 02 and until Young Hunters it was by far my least favorite series. The ending is Pretty Bad.

Still, if Tri is bridging to that ending it's not necessarily bad, since taking elements from 02 to do interesting things is good, like how it gives TK more to do since he's managing that worldwide chosen children site and Taichi's thinking stuff way better and looking to not make damage with rash decisions like the diplomat he'll become. Imperialdramon seems like he'll come back as a Mega-level threat that isn't Omegamon-tier and him being a "friend" will probably do for some interesting things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's obviously BlackMetalEtemon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If we go beyond the technicalities for super technicalities, the 02 orb stuff doesn't matter because no chosen child needs crests of any kind or any outside help since the power of their attributes comes from themselves, so all the digimon need to evolve is their partners, right?

Next movie Joe will just scream "I DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and Gomamon will warp evolve to Vikingmon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not exactly the problem here. In Adventure, Taichi and Yamato only evolve their Digimon to Mega because of the arrows of Hope and Light, and that's following a prophecy of some sort. It's not like they obtain the forms by themselves, and no one else does either.

For all of 02's plot holes (and my Yggdrasil it's not lacking in those), this is actually consistent, Paildramon only evolves into Imperialdramon because of Qinglongmon's power, not due to Daisuke and Ken. And again, no one else achieves Mega.

Angemon and Angewomon also evolve into Mega in The Golden Digimentals but there there's no explanation whatsoever, it surprises even their partners, and it accomplishes nothing, so it made no loving sense because that movie is even worse than the actual series.

I'm ignoring entirely how 02 retconned everyone being able to evolve because of their own feelings and not the Crests, because Tri ignores it as well (and it is absolutely right in doing so), just pointing out how the Mega Evolutions work in both series in the Adventure-verse. We'll have to see if they stick to this for the rest of the Chosen in Tri, or they ignore it for the sake of having everyone else not be a load (which I'd be completely fine with, because I absolutely prefer when all the main cast can reach the final level, like in Tamers and Savers).

And the crests are the power to attain that power and were utterly shattered n' poo poo and everyone became nothingness in a recycle bin until they use their powers of courage, friendship, sincerity, etc. You just gotta believe hard enough.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the prophecy was actually bullshit and all a ruse by Gennai to get at least two kids to believe in their attributes so loving hard they can do anything. (and when the prophecy includes get shot by arrows and you say yeah, then your believing powers are at max)

Limits and power levels are bullshit, it's just how hard you believe that matters cuz otherwise how does anyone come back from being deleted?

That movie you mentioned is probably just not canon, i'm just gonna believe that forever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We now know that Matt went to Mars in order to promote Knife of Day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As great as Tri looks there's still some bits that are rough around the edges, not enough to be a negative, just that the budget is probably not That amazing, but having a schedule of essentially an episode worth of content per month is what does the looks, so a scenario where they do 51 episodes of it is probably doomed in all ways.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There are shades of the Omegamon evolution in there as well with how the white egg is formed and cracked. Still, I was really hoping for textures to be fling into the models instead of the spins.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

That being said, a lot of modern major release anime tends to get cleaned up considerably for their blu-ray/DVD release. lovely facial animation, specifically.

Totally, but I highly doubt Tri will see that sorta clean up, or rather it already got it, since BD were being sold the day of release.

Cool detail, you can actually see Omegamon split to MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon before the explosion blasts them off.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 24, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

2005 was a scary, scary time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Currently rewatching through Adventure in Japanese myself right now, and having gone through episode 15 at this point, the main difference between Dub and Original Mimi that I've noticed so far is that JP Mimi is a bit of a weirdo, like her putting sugar and Natto on her eggs, although Jou's even more of one in my opinion, what with his rant about how one only needs salt and pepper for your eggs instead of what the other kids prefer, and indeed he pretty much spent most of the File Island arc teetering on the edge of insanity with his constant insistence that there had to be other humans on the island, hopefully that'll die down now that they are on Server cause it was getting old

Wait, what did they have in the dub if not the great egg talk?

I had seen the latin version when i was a kid, and overall it was pretty much all translated without creative differences, so seeing it in Japanese was odd, but the musical score really freaking got me.
How likely is it for that one track they used when MagnaAngemon showed up gets remixed in Tri?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Latin American translation is absolutely great, having been raised on that as well. Apart from inconsistently using dub names (attacks normally use their Japanese names but characters are referred to by their English ones, for some reason), it kept everything as it was in the original version with no cuts or music replacements (or forced jokes) and it was basically a work of art. At least until Frontier, I have no idea about the dubs for Savers and Xros Wars since I watched those subbed before they even came out of Japan, but considering Going! Going! My soul! was dubbed in Latin American Spanish I'm guessing at least that one kept the same level of quality.

Also I'm guessing you mean this song, which is absolutely great and also a classic song used in Digimon (and not the only one!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nMjWPYpH4

I'm not sure how many chances there are for that and Bolero to appear, but I goddamn hope they do.

Grandma Dukemon, you mean. This is the Digimon thread! And he, Dukemon, was also voiced by Masako Nozawa!

Concierto de Aranjuez, yes, it's so loving cool. It and Bolero were totally the best tracks along with Brave Heart and Butter-Fly

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think I'm missing something there then because the only Jogress pre-02 in-show was Omegamon and I don't think WarGreymon can just evolve into it without MetalGarurumon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jogress Evolution is what was dubbed as "DNA Digivolution", yes.

That only shows how Omegamon is not a Jogress or DNA or whatever you want to call him, he's a fusion. Whatever difference that might be. Because I sure as hell don't know.

DNA evolution is when you do the fusion dance while with Omegamon it is their fury, it is their patience, it is a conversation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, something cool I don't think I've seen mentioned yet about tri.:

In the evolution scenes, the Digimon get a silhouette covered in computer code. Pretty standard for Digimon, nothing special.

Except, this isn't just normal binary; there are 0s, 1s, and 2s. That's not binary code. That's ternary, or trinary code.

Digimon doesn't usually do anything like that. However, they have run with the idea, at points, that the Digital World was essentially created by the earliest computers, like ENIAC. There's a Soviet computer from 1958 called "Setun" that ran on ternary code...

Plus, of course, the obvious way tri. and trinary code go together.

I noticed the 2s but just kinda wondered what was up with that for a few moments before forgetting about it, this is some cool-rear end trivia. Though i'm guessing it's simply referencing the trinary code's name rather than its origins.

Then again it'd be interesting if Tai and Matt get in an argument about politics and Agumon and Gabumon just look utterly confused going "Well, capitalism is clearly flawed and dangerous, socialism is the only way to keep going forward, obviously?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

After discovering this thread the other day and reading through most of the pages I'm shocked that no one's touched on the worst part of season 2. They defeated the main villain by saying their hopes and dreams! What a lame way to end an already lame season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdbt9GpGvCk

Davis beats the bad guy because he has no fears, third dimension or any sort of interesting aspect to himself beyond being a flat cartoon basically.