Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I feel like I'm just playing this game because it's been lauded as "super artsy awesome and you totally have to play it", and not because I am actually enjoying the game itself.

Last time I played I got 3 hours in and got bored. This time I can't even get past an hour without going "Meh".

I mean, yeah, I "get" it, it's obviously a different game. But sadly I'm not enjoying it.

So, like, I'm not sure. Do you guys recommend I just grit my teeth and get through it? Or is this as good as it gets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Last time I played I got 3 hours in and got bored.

I feel like that happened to pretty much everyone who played the game. I really wanted to enjoy it but it put me to sleep.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Furthermore, Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I like ICO. It is an okay game to play, assuming that you are into those kinds of artistic games. If you're not? Then that's fine too. All games are good, assuming you like them.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Slur posted:

I like ICO. It is an okay game to play, assuming that you are into those kinds of artistic games. If you're not? Then that's fine too. All games are good, assuming you like them.

This coming from a hosed up normie who claimed the 3ds had no games besides Fire Emblem: Awakening.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I wanted to like this game when it came out but like you I kept getting bored and switching games. I eventually read a walkthrough to help me but when I read ahead and saw what the ending was I quit playing it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I recently tried to replay it and couldn't. It was an okay game for its time, and you can really only complete it if you have loads of patience for games like it in general.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Furthermore, Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I played a demo of Ico when I was a child and thought it was boring and dumb

Why am I still hearing about it as an adult man who now has a hairy rear end & face

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

gay skull posted:

I played a demo of Ico when I was a child and thought it was boring and dumb

Why am I still hearing about it as an adult man who now has a hairy rear end & face

I'm hearing some displaced aggression here... It's not the game's fault that you have a hairy assface

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So, like, I'm not sure. Do you guys recommend I just grit my teeth and get through it? Or is this as good as it gets?

Play Shadow of the Colossus instead

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

metricchip posted:

I'm hearing some displaced aggression here... It's not the game's fault that you have a hairy assface

Well I didn't like it back when I didn't have a hairy assface

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
it's cool but it's pretty static. it's one of those games where you follow instructions with very little room for deviation but the instructions are expressed as architecture and big cartoon bombs so i can understand realizing how it works and deciding that you don't want to do more of it. i really like the costumes of the guys who put you in the tomb at the beginning.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

don't play video games because you feel you have to

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

don't play video games because you feel you have to
Actually, all gamers have to game. It's in our blood.

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
There are moments in ICO that are sort of mysterious and beautiful, but I absolutely hate loving block pushing puzzles.

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

YOU GOTTA WANT IT

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Myrmomancer posted:

Play Shadow of the Colossus instead

Yeah

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when does the third one come out

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

never :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I remember trekking to an real out of the way Gamestop to buy ICO because all the others did not have it in stock, paying 12 dollars and then going home and beating it the same day.

decent game.

The gamestop in question is now a Treadmill store.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think both Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are boring games.

Last Guardian is also never coming out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Last guardian doesn't matter in a world where we're getting Journey Sequels.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Skeezy posted:

I think both Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are boring games.

Last Guardian is also never coming out.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Part of the problem is that you hear a lot about the games, especially Shadow of the Colossus, so people create unrealistic expectations when they play it. Ico was released in 2001 and was originally a PS1 title, but it's still pretty good even today.

If you didn't like it after playing for some time, then you probably won't change your mind later on, as the entire game is pretty much that. I don't even remember most of the game, frankly.

I only played Ico after finishing Shadow of the Colossus, and I personally enjoyed the latter more. You could try playing that instead and see what you think, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I think SotC is more popular and more well-regarded because the gameplay is much more unique while still retaining that lonesome, desolate vibe, as opposed to Ico where the setting is there but it feels like a marginally janky end-of-the-era 3D adventure game

• Locked thread