Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I don't know why I ever doubted you!:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Goldmine

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

paragon1 posted:

I don't know why I ever doubted you!:allears:

Some quick rough sketches of illustrations:

Sean's ex-girlfriend Amy

"Aren't you ready to get to work yet?!"

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Your LN reads nothing like a true LN. Here, let me give you an example, translated by the high-quality wordsmiths of Baka-Tsuki:

quote:

It was a scene where the male student was trying to pacify the female student who had been lashing out angrily with her sharp tongue. From the fact that the female student had called the male student 'Onii-sama,' we can probably presume that they are siblings. It is also not unlikely that they are closely-related relatives.

Also re: elbow chat earlier, I know a dude who can identify a specific somewhat prolific anime animator by how she draws character's elbows. What I'm saying here is there will be plenty of elbow animators to go around.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Just write a light novel based on the illustrious history of Goon Swarm/Goonfleet in Eve Online, except replace all the important characters with high school girls, add a few imouto and lemoncakes. A new best selling franchise is born.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

pandaK posted:

it was true...

27 pages.

My

God

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is this where I submit my Cloud X Sephiroth fanfic I wrote in college?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
just make a ln about making an ln for kyoani to animate

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

pandaK posted:

it was true...

how i feel

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so, uh, what's going on ITT? this seems to have escalated quickly

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Quick, someone turn Nope, the anime into a light novel.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm sorry guys, the ultimate female lead has already been created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UxXgfj0RxE&t=95s

e: Christ I forgot how awful Welcome to the NHK looked.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

HellCopter posted:

e: Christ I forgot how awful Welcome to the NHK looked.

Episode 4 looked much worse than every other one.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Can someone who has actually read a Japanese light novel in the original language tell me if the writing is really as bad as I've seen in the English translations?

"Smiling eyes."

I went searching for an example. This one isn't as bad as some, but it's pretty bad:

"Teita raised her face and showed a carefree smile. There was tension in her voice and her hazel pupils were also tinged with vitality, but rotundity was lost from her puffy cheeks. As expected, she could not hide her fatigue due to the long journey. Even so, she had not complained even once so far."

If so, then this New Year's task is going to be pretty difficult. Here are some resources to help:

Some good analogies we can tap into.

Here are some inspirational introductory sentences to get started as well.

Godspeed, my fellow goons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It varies from Light Novel to Light Novel, but I mean, you're combining pulpy writing for young adults with amateur translation. Of course the end result is going to be kind of awful. It's two mediocre things coming together to form something pretty uniquely terrible.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

What the hell just happened in this thread

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

So it's a ripoff of Yu Yu Hakushou with a prologue out of Muv-Luv?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

So it's a ripoff of Yu Yu Hakushou with a prologue out of Muv-Luv?

I wouldn't know, I haven't read either of them. Mostly I was inspired by Spice & Wolf and the game Recettear. And classic 1983 comedy Trading Places! :sun:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

please post the chapter when you have sex with the sexy devil girl you drew

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I wouldn't know, I haven't read either of them. Mostly I was inspired by Spice & Wolf and the game Recettear. And classic 1983 comedy Trading Places! :sun:

Huh. the first half of the story is an almost moment by moment copy of Yu Yu Hakusho, but how you managed that having not seen any of it is pretty bizarre.

Basically, a delinquent kid saves a young boy from a car crash when he runs out onto the street to catch the ball that he dropped, but when he gets to heaven he's told that his death was completely unforeseen and that the boy would have miraculously survived even if the delinquent kid hadn't tried to save him, so he's given a change to return to life by proving he's a good person.

As for Muv-Luv, it starts out with an girl sleeping next to the protag in his bed and when he wakes up and finds her there he freaks out because he has no idea who she is or why she's there, super generic rom-com harem poo poo ensues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

please post the chapter when you have sex with the sexy devil girl you drew

two market cycles worth of semen made a glopping noise

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Some goons have no self respect.

E:

This is not a real LN for 2 reasons:

1.) It is in english and not japanese, the language of the gods.

2.)

quote:

She was youngish, about the age of a college undergraduate, and wore glasses.

Girls should not be older than high school age in a real LN

e2:

quote:

A halo.
That clinched it.
“Aww, poo poo!” I said.
And then he whines endlessly about dying

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Dr Sunshine you forgot casual racism against other Asians and generalized xenophobia. Also the MC should be a big fan of Ayn Rand.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Triggerhappypilot posted:

What the hell just happened in this thread

You mean you're not working on your very own fan light-novel as a side project?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Now, now, that's mostly the Mahouka author's thing. For everyone else it's RPG references. But if you're dealing with international finance, you should definitely include attractive women from southeast Asian economies like India & Vietnam for that exotic touch. Make sure they speak in charmingly broken English despite being highly educated players in high-stakes global trading.

Namtab posted:

Girls should not be older than high school age in a real LN
Point of order goon sir, it is entirely possible and indeed encouraged for at least one of the female cast members to be An Older Woman. Indeed, by having her react positively to the younger cast calling her 'old woman' (since she is surely at least 800 years old) you can demonstrate your anarchic, fearlessly creative sense of humor. That KyoAni contest is a lock, I tell you!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm surprised the thread got this far without anyone suggesting we just mail some volumes of Full Metal Panic to KyoAni. Because that's what needs to be done.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kind of pointless considering they animated that author's other LN series, Amagi Brilliant Park. Huh, just learned he was the series composition for Hyouka. Is that dude just constantly on call for Kyoto?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Allarion posted:

Kind of pointless considering they animated that author's other LN series, Amagi Brilliant Park. Huh, just learned he was the series composition for Hyouka. Is that dude just constantly on call for Kyoto?

he and the guy who directed Hyouka are good friends.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Allarion posted:

Maybe if people like you actually paid attention to staff instead of lumping productions under studio names, you'd realize that Fumoffu, TSR, Hyouka, and Amagi all have the same director. Perhaps that may be related since they are so close friends, but I doubt people would ever pay attention to important details like that instead of whining about a series that serves no purpose to be animated.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Didn't know they were friends, was just curious about his connection to Kyoto since he did some script writing for them too, and now I do.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so i have a question

would kyoani do a robots show

also how long/short does a light novel need to be because uhhhhh I might happen to have a thing

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gyra_Solune posted:

so i have a question

would kyoani do a robots show

also how long/short does a light novel need to be because uhhhhh I might happen to have a thing

We just mentionned Full Metal Panic so yeah.

edit:also to answer your other question, from what I know it can vary a lot. Most are relatively short with a decent amount of illustrations, but some (including the infamous mahouka) are like brick sized, with like 20 books.

Anyway, just go on the ln title generator and write something based on whatever result you get. Just be careful to add lots of cute girls.

edit2 : welp, I ended up getting ideas for light novels, I hate you people.

My Cute Little Sister Married Kim Jung Un and Now my Harem is full of Spies!? Self explanatory. Last chapter reveals the childhood friend everyone thought was unafiliated with any government is actually part of the shadow government.

Welp, I Wanted To Be A Cool Pirate But Looks Like Our Genre Literature Club Will Have To Be Ninjas?! The MC and his overwhelmingly female literature club (with a focus on genre literature) get teleported to another dimension where the theme is very obviously Ninjas. Problem is, none of them is particularly happy with the setting as they all have their favorite genre : MC prefers pirates stories, tsundere childhood friend is into high fantasy, elegant hime cut senpai would have liked to be a cool revolver-slinging cowgirl, energetic tomboy likes pulp novels about Indiana Jones-like explorers, glasses wearing girl would have liked some renaissance romance and the token 12 year old girl likes dystopian sci-fi. Watch them steal a boat, attempt to rescue fair maidens locked in towers (that might or might not be guarded by dragons), try to have shooting duels using only shurikens or look behind every secret ninja scroll in the vain hope of finding a treasure map. First volume ends with " 'Well at least we didn't land into some steampunk shitfest, because gently caress steampunk.' And they all nodded in agreement"

I Know It Looks Like There Is More Interesting Stuff Going On, But I Have A Harem To Deal With !!!. After years of hard work, MC finally has a harem. I mean, kind off. Like, he has a childhood friend that has some feelings for him but isn't too sure, there's that girl in his class that is pretty flirtatious and there's this chick that he has met online that sends him some pretty innuendo-laden messages. Totally a harem. Now he has to go through his extremely mundane love triangle (technically I square, I guess) stuff without deviating into doing something else, even if the stuff that is going on in the background is much more interesting. Watch him try to have a date while wizards are having a raging spell-battle in the streets, watch him try to get two girls to go to the pool with him as aliens invade earth, watch him have to decide between three relatively nice girls that aren't actually all that interesting while a lone stranger with superpowers reveals to everyone the entire world as they know it is but a simulation within a supercomputer.

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 3, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

Welp, I Wanted To Be A Cool Pirate But Looks Like Our Genre Literature Club Will Have To Be Ninjas?! The MC and his overwhelmingly female literature club (with a focus on genre literature) get teleported to another dimension where the theme is very obviously Ninjas. Problem is, none of them is particularly happy with the setting as they all have their favorite genre : MC prefers pirates stories, tsundere childhood friend is into high fantasy, elegant hime cut senpai would have liked to be a cool revolver-slinging cowgirl, energetic tomboy likes pulp novels about Indiana Jones-like explorers, glasses wearing girl would have liked some renaissance romance and the token 12 year old girl likes dystopian sci-fi. Watch them steal a boat, attempt to rescue fair maidens locked in towers (that might or might not be guarded by dragons), try to have shooting duels using only shurikens or look behind every secret ninja scroll in the vain hope of finding a treasure map. First volume ends with " 'Well at least we didn't land into some steampunk shitfest, because gently caress steampunk.' And they all nodded in agreement"

I Know It Looks Like There Is More Interesting Stuff Going On, But I Have A Harem To Deal With !!!. After years of hard work, MC finally has a harem. I mean, kind off. Like, he has a childhood friend that has some feelings for him but isn't too sure, there's that girl in his class that is pretty flirtatious and there's this chick that he has met online that sends him some pretty innuendo-laden messages. Totally a harem. Now he has to go through his extremely mundane love triangle (technically I square, I guess) stuff without deviating into doing something else, even if the stuff that is going on in the background is much more interesting. Watch him try to have a date while wizards are having a raging spell-battle in the streets, watch him try to get two girls to go to the pool with him as aliens invade earth, watch him have to decide between three relatively nice girls that aren't actually all that interesting while a lone stranger with superpowers reveals to everyone the entire world as they know it is but a simulation within a supercomputer.

I would totally watch these, especially that first one.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Have then animifie the korean light novel Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (Royal Road)

It's a light novel about a skintflint as gently caress korean guy who aspired to be the world's best grinder in the first virtual reality MMO. His character is named Weed and he spends the first month of his time in the game doing nothing but hitting a training dummy.

These are the first lines:

quote:

Just imagine a noble, elegant and picturesque life in poverty that you might find nowhere else but in a soap opera. No matter how poor you are, it does not discourage you from showing unconditional love for strangers, and even a piece of bread is there to be shared with a warm smile.

If anyone claimed that such an illusion existed in reality, Lee Hyun would beat him to a pulp, and strike once more to finish him off.

It's not the anime we want. It's the anime we deserve.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
Aktion! Pretty SS Einsatzgruppe Gemetzel Go!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

brave nazi aviator posted:

Aktion! Pretty SS Einsatzgruppe Gemetzel Go!

Isn't that just Girls Und Panzer?

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't that just Girls Und Panzer?

no, Pretty SS Einsatzgruppe fights non-human enemies and they have to keep their true identities as middle school students a secret, also they use a van instead of tanks

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They are the superhumans that Hitler wanted to make but they're all female and are so badass they became magical girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

They are the superhumans that Hitler wanted to make but they're all female and are so badass they became magical girls.

Nazi Strike Witches with Swastika Panties.

• Locked thread