Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
also there are lots of shower scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Dan7el posted:

Can someone who has actually read a Japanese light novel in the original language tell me if the writing is really as bad as I've seen in the English translations?

ok i'm gonna actually answer this seriously since i have actually read an LN in japanese.

you can think of LNs like dime-novels targeted at young adult readers. writing quality will vary but generally not be anything close to the language an actually respected novelist can put out. go to your local wal-mart and up by the registers are probably a bunch of cheap novels by unknown authors that were still actually published; LNs are similar in writing quality. people buy them for the characters and stories they create (lol), not for the masterful way the author weaves his words into something beautiful and artistic.

fan translations are awful because of a number of linguistic differences between japanese and english that translators either don't understand, or aren't willing to handle in a way that makes the resulting english work out nicely. the big one is in noun modification. japanese generally modifies nouns through the use of a clause or phrase prior to the actual noun, and big dramatic moments will often intentionally invoke this pattern. for example, see basically any episode of kaiji, where the narrator will say something along the lines of "kaiji is crying miserably, standing before a mountain with no way to climb it, on the verge of defeat", but the original japanese clearly says "kaiji" last, because the modifying phrases come before it. really bad translations will translate that as "[noun] that is [modifying phrase]" since that's the closest english equivalent, despite the fact that rather than sounding more artistic and dramatic, it just sounds ridiculous.

baka-tsuki also tends to be bad because i'm pretty sure the translators usually use a single sentence as the basic unit from which to translate. besides just word ordering, colloquial japanese separates sentences in completely different ways than english does, and generally japanese sentences are longer than reasonable english equivalents. and at an even higher level, paragraphs etc. are organized differently because these sentences separate in different ways. if you choose to translate by making sentences one-to-one, you end up with something that doesn't read well at all. you need an extremely strong understanding of literature in both english and japanese to make intelligent decisions about how to take the content and reorganize it, cutting and combining sentences, reordering entire sentences or paragraphs, etc. to make those decisions you have to have to catch all the subtleties of the literature (admittedly much easier in LNs than real novels), and while you're doing that, you have to set a target for how you want the impression given by the translation to compare to the impression a native speaker of the original gets, and work within that target. it's really hard to do that, so fan translators tend to either not try, or not pull it off despite best efforts. i have tried making my own translations of what i've read, and it's beyond me to make something that looks like reasonable literature.

i've bought a couple LNs from yen press and their translations tend to be quite good. the story is actually organized into reasonable paragraphs as opposed to the one-sentence pseudo-paragraphs that baka-tsuki puts out, and the language tends to be reasonable for an English book. there are still occasionally sentences that scream "this was translated from japanese," but that's generally true of most professional publications; newspapers especially are kind of jarring.

of course maybe i'm just a lot worse at japanese and translating than i think and it's a lot easier than i make it out to be but hey.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wanna add to that and say that baka-tsuki literally has a policy that editors are not allowed to be editors.

They're just glorified spell-checkers, and in a disagreement the translator is assumed to be correct. It's a clown town over there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrSunshine posted:

Nazi Strike Witches with Swastika Panties.

please, don't leak your next project before you're done your first one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

jon joe posted:

korean light novel

The disease has spread outside Japan? I think it's time to start closing borders

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I Tried to Think of a Long Title for My First Light Novel, So I Asked My Childhood Friend for Help.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

jon joe posted:

Have then animifie the korean light novel Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (Royal Road)

It's a light novel about a skintflint as gently caress korean guy who aspired to be the world's best grinder in the first virtual reality MMO. His character is named Weed and he spends the first month of his time in the game doing nothing but hitting a training dummy.

These are the first lines:

It's not the anime we want. It's the anime we deserve.

"Weed wasn’t fearful of Darius in the sense of stats, but he knew that his weakness lay in the duration.

He was, so to speak, a typical case of premature ejaculation, a man’s number one secret fear."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Compendium posted:

I Tried to Think of a Long Title for My First Light Novel, So I Asked My Childhood Friend for Help.

They should make a Plague, Inc. module for light novels.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

icantfindaname posted:

The disease has spread outside Japan? I think it's time to start closing borders

I tried to close the frontiers to stop the Light Novel pandemic, but my imouto said it was already too late !?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Help! My Popular Light Novel is Ruining my NEET Life!

The protagonist is a shunned high school student that turned hikikomori after being teased for his terrible fanfiction. His only remaining contact is his neighbor and childhood friend, who, unknown to him, was the original leaker of his work, and honestly enjoyed it. Feeling guilty for turning him into a NEET, she convinces him to enter one last writing contest. When his work starts gaining massive praise and even screenplay requests, he needs to adjust his former shut-in life with the newfound social challenges of being a rich and popular writer.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 6, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Daedalus1134 posted:

Help! My Popular Light Novel is Ruining my NEET Life!

The protagonist is a shunned high school student that turned hikikomori after being teased for his terrible fanfiction. His only remaining contact is his neighbor and childhood friend, who, unknown to him, was the original leaker of his work, and honestly enjoyed it. Feeling guilty for turning him into a NEET, she convinces him to enter one last writing contest. When his work starts gaining massive praise and even screenplay requests, he needs to adjust his former shut-in life with the newfound social challenges being a rich and popular writer.

I can believe in this one getting written and animated.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Since this is the closest thing we have to a "Light novel thread", I'll just say here that today all the Spice & Wolf books that I ordered as a Christmas gift to myself have finally arrived! After reading several of the novels via interlibrary loan, I decided "Yes, this is a series that I must have." Not knowing Japanese and of course never having read the original books, I can only say that the books stand quite well on their own, and are a pleasure to read.

It's a really good series, if you're interested in economics!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

What are you talking about?
Harry Potter has been here since the 2000s.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmmm, don't know about this.

She meant babes as in babies.

Postal Parcel posted:

What are you talking about?
Harry Potter has been here since the 2000s.

Oh noooooo.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Here's waffleman's idea from the winter anime season derail:

Waffleman_ posted:

私は日本語がわからない場合、私は本当にライトノベルを書くことはできますか?

Can I Really Write A Light Novel If I Don't Know Japanese?

Waffleman_ posted:

Mark Smith is an American transfer student at Iwasaki High School who made a bold statement on his first day.

"Listen up! I'm going to be a famous light novel author! Just you watch!"

The problem is, Mark's Japanese isn't quite that good yet, and he can hardly write his name in Japanese, let alone a book. However, his words caught the attention of his classmate Sayoko Honda, the most popular girl in school who is fluent in English and offers to privately tutor Mark in Japanese and help him write his book. As Mark progresses in Japanese, he begins to post writings on 2ch, which come to the attention of the popular light novel author known only as Aki-P, who offers him an opportunity to write for their imprint. Can Mark navigate the twisted worlds of learning kanji, the light novel industry, and love, and make his dreams come true?

Don't let us down, waffleman.

• Locked thread