Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am moving to a place with more land, wide open fields on all sides and across the road as well.

People walk on the road, I don't want my dogs to be a nuisance to anyone, I don't want them to get hit by a car either.

They stay around me when I'm home, but my wife will be carrying a newborn with a toddler running around so she cannot keep as good of an eye on the dogs as I would during the day.

I don't have the $10,000 to put up a 6 foot tall fence around 3 acres, so my options are pretty limited. I'd prefer something where I can let them out from the inside (front door) or go to the garage and let them out the back door of the garage if I have to. The kicker: I would prefer they not poo poo on my lawn and instead poo poo in the field that is about a hundred feet in any direction.

I had thought of a couple runners, one to each tree in the back yard, but the tree directly behind the house is pretty close and the kids and I are going to play outside so I'd probably have to shovel it to the bigger fields.

I don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of is an underground wire with the shock collar things but I don't really want to do that to the dogs. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

65 pound lab, 45 pound mutt. They will continue to get walked 3-4 miles every day, but I need to make the daily 'in and out a half dozen times' easy for my wife to do with a newborn and toddler running around.

Here's a pic of the layout. Click to embiggen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fence it weird. Make a corridor fence (it won't cost much) a hundred feet from the house. Have a secondary gate they have to go through back into their potty area, then fence 50x20 of that or whatever you want them to have to romp and poo poo in. It won't cost $10,000. I'd be surprised if it costs $500 if you do it yourself (it is piss easy to put up fence). Yeah it won't look normal to people not aware of the situation, but who cares what they think?

And save up to fence your whole property and cross-fence it, man. If you ever resale, pre-fenced property with that kind of acreage sells so much better than non-fenced.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But mowing the lawn was going to be so easy with this place :(

I think that option is the only other one than the underground shocking one.

Edit: No one likes fences here. No person wants a fenced property, especially out in the boonies like I am going to be.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: No one likes fences here. No person wants a fenced property, especially out in the boonies like I am going to be.

What in the gently caress is wrong with where you live? Out in the boonies means cool poo poo like goats and chickens and cows and you need fences for those.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Not sure how that's your problem. You either care about your dog's safety or you don't.

My parents have 3 acres in BFE and they eventually had to fence all of it. Initially they just fenced a portion of it for the dogs, but later they had to fence most of it because the local's don't like fences and their hunting dogs kept digging into the chicken enclosure and killing chickens. If your neighbors don't like fences and they have animals, then that's an even better reason for you to make part of your yard safer, especially if you are going to be playing with a child in it. Sometimes it's about keeping things out!

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

totally, rural people hate fences. like the saying goes, no fences and a bunch of animals running loose make good neighbors.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Barrista posted:

Not sure how that's your problem. You either care about your dog's safety or you don't.

It's my problem to keep my dogs safe and out of the road, yes. I was responding to whoever said "fence it all and increase the value!" which is dumb.

I don't need to worry about cows and sheep and chickens and poo poo. There aren't any farms of any kind nearby. A few houses down the road a ways, but no farms or livestock or anything. My two dogs, maybe the farthest neighbor has a dog... That's it I think.

Wheats posted:

totally, rural people hate fences. like the saying goes, no fences and a bunch of animals running loose make good neighbors.

Unsure why the sarcasm... Yes: rural people hate fences, at least in my neck of the woods. There are no farms nearby that require fences, so your definition of rural may be different than mine. Rural doesn't mean farmland everywhere, there are 5 houses with 20+ acres each on this road and nothing else.

Cheapass metal fences look terrible, if you are going to fence in your property then do it right with a nice wooden fence or vinyl.

I understand my dogs need to be under control, and they will be. I apparently didn't overlook anything as far as ideas for fencing; underground electric shock, or corridor are about the only choices I guess :(

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's my problem to keep my dogs safe and out of the road, yes. I was responding to whoever said "fence it all and increase the value!" which is dumb.

I don't need to worry about cows and sheep and chickens and poo poo. There aren't any farms of any kind nearby. A few houses down the road a ways, but no farms or livestock or anything. My two dogs, maybe the farthest neighbor has a dog... That's it I think.

Unsure why the sarcasm... Yes: rural people hate fences, at least in my neck of the woods. There are no farms nearby that require fences, so your definition of rural may be different than mine. Rural doesn't mean farmland everywhere, there are 5 houses with 20+ acres each on this road and nothing else.

Cheapass metal fences look terrible, if you are going to fence in your property then do it right with a nice wooden fence or vinyl.

I understand my dogs need to be under control, and they will be. I apparently didn't overlook anything as far as ideas for fencing; underground electric shock, or corridor are about the only choices I guess :(

the sarcasm is because you seem to think that not having fences themselves means they're morally opposed to them or something. not requiring something themselves doesn't mean they aren't going to appreciate the practical need for it.

invisible fencing isn't really a very good option, other dogs can get in and start fights, dogs can easily push through the shocks when they're motivated enough (like chasing an animal), and a dog that's gotten past the boundaries of an invisible fence is unlikely to go back in- the shocks keep them outside once they get out. my favorite setups have always been having a smaller section of land fenced near the house. yeah, you have to scoop dog poop, but it means you have a private, enclosed area for yourself and kids, not just the dogs. in rural areas this also means your gardens are slightly more protected than without a fence.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Wheats posted:

the sarcasm is because you seem to think that not having fences themselves means they're morally opposed to them or something. not requiring something themselves doesn't mean they aren't going to appreciate the practical need for it.

I was saying that people around here do not like fences in regards to the "fence the entire property because it'll raise the house value" when in reality it will do the exact opposite. That's why they are opposed to them, they enjoy home values being higher for resale.

"Oh man, you got this awesome property that goes forever and you fenced the loving thing? Now I have to pay someone to take it down to not take away from the natural beauty of the land (the view of the lake and the mountains.)"

I've heard those arguments for the invisible fences, and I am pretty sure my girls will be chasing the deer that hang out in the back field so the invisible fence idea is out the window. I just wish there was another option than 6' chain link fence to be honest.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What the gently caress is wrong with the people where you live that three fenced acres is a bad thing and people actively take down fencing in the rural areas on acreage :psyduck:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

i don't know what zone you're in, but if you have to go with a chain link fence, consider doing some planting to make it look better- you could go with tall grasses, hedges, or grape ivy (some ivy species are toxic if eaten by dogs, so be careful when picking one). it's never going to look great, but you can make it look nicer.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^ Ivy is a great idea. Will mention that to the old lady!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the people where you live that three fenced acres is a bad thing and people actively take down fencing in the rural areas on acreage :psyduck:

loving flatlanders.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

loving flatlanders.

I live right beside the rockies. Like, I see Mt. Rainier every day it's clear. Constantly. Even though there are fences everywhere because I live in a sane rural area and not some retard white collar shitlord "oh nooo a fence" area. You're going to have your gross little retard kids in the road too. Unless you're gonna put zap collars on them.

I kind of want you to put zap collars on them. rear end in a top hat.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

loving flatlanders.

sorry, i'm from a state where having a lake view isn't a lifetime accomplishment.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ Me either, talk to the people from Mass and CT about it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I live right beside the rockies. Like, I see Mt. Rainier every day it's clear. Constantly. Even though there are fences everywhere because I live in a sane rural area and not some retard white collar shitlord "oh nooo a fence" area. You're going to have your gross little retard kids in the road too. Unless you're gonna put zap collars on them.

I kind of want you to put zap collars on them. rear end in a top hat.

I have no idea what this means. Flatlanders come up here, buy a shitload of land and take down anything that inhibits the 'natural beauty' of poo poo. I am not one of those people.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Spermy Smurf posted:

I have no idea what this means. Flatlanders come up here, buy a shitload of land and take down anything that inhibits the 'natural beauty' of poo poo. I am not one of those people.

oh, i thought you were calling us flatlanders and i got excited about arguing about fences. sorry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ No shut up and hate him wheats

Spermy Smurf posted:

You are one of the stupidest most arrogant motherfuckers and I just want to kick you in the dick until it dies so you can't make more car torpedos in your wife. Like the sheer amount I hate you right now is unknown to me. It is incredible.

E2: I may repeal this if you are not actually being the stupidest, most arrogant motherfucker as you seem to be. But until then you are. :colbert:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't understand you.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

she, too, is passionate about fences and fencing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

I don't understand you.

One day, Spermy. Pow, punt, right in the dick and straight to the moon.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Fence in your own property, put in a pond. Make your own lake view. Problem solved.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm not a flatlander. You asked what kind of retard wants to remove fences. I told you: Flatlanders. Now I've got retarded kids and deserve dick-kickings? :aaa: This loving sub sometimes... This is worse than the "pits are special snowflakes, you're an rear end in a top hat for even thinking that the one that bit that child should be put down. Everyone pile on and hate him!" poo poo from 10 years ago.

I am in your camp. I could put a fence up around the entire property, but I simply don't have the cash to do it right now. I wouldn't care since I look OVER the fence at the mountains and lakes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm not a flatlander. You asked what kind of retard wants to remove fences. I told you: Flatlanders. Now I've got retarded kids and deserve dick-kickings? :aaa:

I am in your camp. I could put a fence up around the entire property, but I simply don't have the cash to do it right now. I wouldn't care since I look OVER the fence at the mountains and lakes.

OKAY I REPEAL THAT YOU NEED DICK KICKINGS AND YOUR CHILDREN ARE CAR TORPEDOS HOWEVER:

falling to their whims is giving in to the MAN. Don't do it! Fight the power! Fence the property! All of it! Forever! gently caress them as hard as you can! Paint the fence bright loving purple with dicks all over it!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

falling to their whims is giving in to the MAN. Don't do it! Fight the power! Fence the property! All of it! Forever! gently caress them as hard as you can! Paint the fence bright loving purple with dicks all over it!

I will do one better: I wont ever sell to one of those assholes. It's my property, and I''ll be damned if I let them whine about the smell of woodsmoke from a fireplace or whatever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

I will do one better: I wont ever sell to one of those assholes. It's my property, and I''ll be damned if I let them whine about the smell of woodsmoke from a fireplace or whatever.

Gather a mound of dog poo poo in a nearby field, set it ablaze.

Seriously though I'd go insane.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Real suggestion, only do a four foot fence, maybe by the time you sell fences will be in style. Or your goofy neighbors will have the brilliant idea to try to do livestock and will have to put up fence and then you won't have to worry anymore. Sounds like you've got weird neighbors. I would do the purple dick fence if it was me, but I'm kinda like that.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

OKAY I REPEAL THAT YOU NEED DICK KICKINGS AND YOUR CHILDREN ARE CAR TORPEDOS HOWEVER:

Look whose a flip flopper today!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Build a fence, burn and pillage the neighbors if they don't like it.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
Wtf is a flatlander?

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

I could put a fence up around the entire property, but I simply don't have the cash to do it right now.

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's my property, and I''ll be damned if I let them whine about the smell of woodsmoke from a fireplace or whatever.

Solution: make a smaller fenced in area for the dogs to be let out in for now. That way you get to enjoy having the rest of your property unfenced, your wife has an easy way to let the dogs outside, your kids have a space which (maybe) will be free from deer / coyotes / wtfever, and your neighbours won't care because 1) they probably do the same and 2) it's your property to what you goddamn want to.

Why is this difficult? Oh

Spermy Smurf posted:

The kicker: I would prefer they not poo poo on my lawn

Waaaaah welcome to owning a dog. Where have they been making GBS threads up until this point?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
i like fences theyre really useful to have

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Sock Weasel posted:

Waaaaah welcome to owning a dog. Where have they been making GBS threads up until this point?

If my dogs poo poo in my sight I rub their noses in it and then kick them a few times. They are pretty good about eating it before I can get close enough to kick them now.

In reality: good suggestion, i dont mind if they poo poo in a specific fenced in spot. I just dont want to go outside with wife and kids and accidentally step in poo. Hell, i walk daily and pick up poo poo in a grocery bag daily so its not like I am a little princess who is scared of it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

PartyCrown posted:

Wtf is a flatlander?

Some richy richerton from mass or ct who made bank in the cities and wants an 'all nautural' slice of maine/new hampshire/vermont and alienates neighbors by doing weird poo poo like taking down fences, serving tresspassing papers despite having a right of way on their deed, and complaining about dumb poo poo like 'i dont like the smell of woodsmoke so can you not have bonfires/heat your house with wood?'

Edit: also they sometimes try to get lawyer friends to remove a shooting range even though they got the land at 1/3 cost specifically because of the shooting range.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 1, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
If those were my neighbors I would specifically build the biggest, ugliest fence I could manage.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

If those were my neighbors I would specifically build the biggest, ugliest fence I could manage.

This.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh, I dont have any neighbors like that.

This thread got off topic in a hurry.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yep, those are totally spite fence conditions.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh, I dont have any neighbors like that.

This thread got off topic in a hurry.

Build the fence. If you hate flatlanders, don't want to sell to flatlanders, then gently caress the fence haters and BUILD THE loving FENCE. It's your land. If you need a fence, stop pussy footing, and build the fence. This isn't rocket science.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

In reality: good suggestion, i dont mind if they poo poo in a specific fenced in spot. I just dont want to go outside with wife and kids and accidentally step in poo. Hell, i walk daily and pick up poo poo in a grocery bag daily so its not like I am a little princess who is scared of it.

You are just afraid to pick it up in your own yard.

I say don't build the fence. Maybe a coyote will carry the kid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I like the way this thread escalated, top job everyone!

• Locked thread