Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

Lazarus, it sounds like this...secret knowledge of yours makes you very lonely. How do you react when someone actually takes an interest in your ideas?

Well, it depends on how much I can trust them. Of course, you can't completely trust anyone, but there are some who are...less cautious than others. But the more trustworthy they are, then the more valuable of an ally they are. Especially if they seem to be fellow truth-seekers. But if they seem too trustworthy, then they simply can't be trusted at all. But, as they say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I'll feign allegiance with them if it means I can learn more useful knowledge to work against the web of lies.

quote:

Someone in homeroom was so suspicious that you had to use your powers on them. What did you see through their eyes?
Derrick, Derrick, Derrick. I knew that he knew that I knew. I didn't really want to break into his locker, but it was for the good of mankind. He didn't have any useful information, but he did keep a photograph of his family. They all looked slimy. When I tried performing the watching hex that afternoon, something odd happened. As he went further and further into his home, the vision started to break up and become corrupted. I couldn't make out what he was telling his sister, and the last thing I saw was some sort of display featuring otherworldly heirlooms.

They must be stopped. I'm not sure how, but there has to be a way. Maybe I can find someone useful to fight with me.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The fix is in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVsf7BhB6yA

Alex the Ghost, OldKentuckyShark
Jackie the Chosen, Jolinaxas
Toby the Mortal, inklesspen
Victoria the Queen, PlatonicSolid
Violet the Infernal, SuddenConsequences
Zachary the Werewolf, Heliotrope

If you're not in the cast, I'm sorry. Even though Monsterhearts is popular on SA, I was surprised and impressed by the quality of the write-ups here.

If you are in the cast, it's time for Backstory! It's first come first serve, except Toby who must go last. Build on each other's stuff.

Assuming you all post before I get back, feel free to move on to the homeroom seating chart! Later we will do a round of locations and other NPCs.

Alex, who sits in front of you, and why do you think she actually seems to notice you? Who sits next to you, and why was he crying in class?

Jackie, who sits behind you, and what is she always whispering in your ear about? Who sits in front of you, and why can't you stop looking him over?

Toby, who sits next to you, and what did he do for you when you were having a really bad day? Who sits next to you, and why is she in so much trouble?

Victoria, who sits in front of you, and what has she been getting up to with Karen? Who sits next to you, and why does he want your friendship so badly?

Violet, who sits next to you, and why is it so much fun to tease her? Who sits behind you, why did he get in your face?

Zachary, who sits behind you, and why is she the most annoying person alive? Who sits next to you, and why is he always picking on people?

Everybody give a String to one of your NPCs and take one on the other.

After everyone posts their NPCS, pick a NPC from each other pair, and take or give a String. (Your choice, and tell me why.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Strings time for Victoria!

Platonicsolid posted:

Strings
Name three NPCs who are Members of your gang. Gain a string on each.
  • Karen Lackoff - High-achiever, advanced placement everything. Parents are some kind of tech entrepreneurs (apps, maybe?), Karen's as comfortable in an exam as a party dress.
  • Gwen Iverson - Star of middle school track, basketball and lacrosse, Gwen's a sports omnivore and always up for a challenge.
  • Amanda Sterling - Comes from a long line of Virginia movers and shakers. Her mother's a big-shot state senator, her dad runs the family's furniture business (third generation!). Tends to be the 'party girl' of the group.

Platonicsolid posted:

You find someone threatening. Give them a strong on you, and take two strings on them.

Have you met Jackie? She's this intense little ball of trauma and hotness. When we first showed up here, I figured she'd make a good friend, pull her into my little circle. We hung out a few time, I introduced her to the other girls, but she never fit. Always had this thing where it seemed like she had something better to do. Pissed me off, and three weeks in we had this huge knock down drag out in the foyer. Bitch even hit me! Fine, if she wants to play it that way. Just wait until she needs something from me, I'll show her.

Halloween Jack posted:

Victoria, who sits in front of you, and what has she been getting up to with Karen? Who sits next to you, and why does he want your friendship so badly?

Ahead of me? That'd be Susan Kimball, Karen's absolutely-positively-not-girlfriend. Her dad's this intense Baptist minister, so you do the math. She and Karen started slow and they still keep it incredibly on the QT. Every now and then I catch them, in a back hall, stealing a kiss or a touch. It's sweet. Karen really does like her, even if she still flirts around. She's told me it's to help Susan 'keep her cover' - personally, I think it's a bit of revenge on Susan.

Taking a string on Susan

Dave Saunders sits next to me. He's a scrawny kid, smart, I think he might have skipped a grade. Kid's a minnow in a tank of sharks. Just because he's not my types doesn't mean I want to see him pounded, which is exactly what Randy McDaniels threatened in the cafeteria. Randy I don't like - he's hooked up with Gwen a few times, me once, and for all that he's a beefcake he's also a 'roided up fury-ball - so I stepped in and put a stop to it, told Randy that messing with Dave would mean messing with me and my girls, something he definitely doesn't want. In the process, I kind of picked up an accidental little brother.

Giving a string to Dave

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

quote:

Backstory:
- You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
- Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

One String goes to Mr. S the Nameless One for obvious reasons.

Another String goes to Victoria. Yeah, I know, don't remind me. She's a bitch and a half, but she knows how to get poo poo done and sometimes you gotta play nice when you want something. Like, say, getting her to hook you up with Amanda. Hey, I'm used to getting my pot from sleazier places too but you take what you can, I guess.

Giving the third String to Zachary. We got to hang out in detention together after he trashed the theater and I gotta admit, there's something about him. I mean besides the whole going ballistic thing, I mean. Man, I wish I could have seen that. From what I heard it was some Jason Statham poo poo going down. A-hem, anyway, yeah, so we ended up talking some and he was pretty good at pretending that he felt bad about the whole thing but I had a little birdie on my shoulder, telling me that that wasn't the whole story. So now I want to know what's up with that and how he looks with his shirt off, drenched in oil instead of paint.
(It's not quite a debt, but I hope that's okay?)

Taking a String on Toby because he thinks he can save me. No idea what gave him that idea or who appointed him as moral arbiter. Okay, maybe it was because I jumped Cecily in the restroom one day and acquainted her with her watery reflection in the toilet bowl for running to her mom and complaining about Toby, just because she's jealous of ogling dicks or something. Anyway, word must have gotten back to Toby and now he thinks I stood up for him or some poo poo.

Halloween Jack posted:

Violet, who sits next to you, and why is it so much fun to tease her? Who sits behind you, why did he get in your face?

Debbie Jenkins sits next to me and she's just adorable. Gets flustered real fast so I always make sure to keep her in the loop about my thoughts on things like Zach. I'm honestly curious if one day she'll just burst into flames. Taking a String on her.

Freddy Miller sits behind me and keeps trying to get me to let him copy my poo poo on tests. Look buddy, the only reason I do alright is cause I copy from Debbie and we don't need three people with the same answers. But instead of getting that through his thick skull he decides to corner me with some of his buddies and refresh my 'school spirit'. Not gonna lie, those three were a bit much to take, so now Freddy gets Debbie's answers too. Giving a String to Freddy

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

quote:

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

Zachary knows! He knows I'm dead! He said I didn't have any smell, and then he was looking at me with these crazy eyes, and then I didn't know what to do and I got scared and vanished. Just <poof!> The world went grey, and he couldn't see me any more, and I couldn't touch anything, and all I could hear were these whispers; the Spirit World, I guess. Total Ouija-ville. It took five days until the color came back into the world and people could see me again. But now he knows! He even looked me up on the computer and found my old obituary: I was watching over his shoulder.

I haven't talked to him since then. His eyes scare me.

quote:

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.
Violet has cool clothes. Everybody else dresses so preppy, but her stuff reminds me of the stuff punks used to wear back when I was alive. Like the Ramones. Did you know they died? Anyway, sometimes, when she's asleep, I try her clothes on. They look pretty good on me. I think maybe I should get a nose ring.

Don't judge me.

Anyway, the thing about Violet is, sometimes, I'm not the only one watching her sleep. There's something else there. I can't see it, but I know it's there, and it knows I'm there. I think it's trying to talk to her while she's asleep. For some reason, that doesn't scare me, but I really think it should.

Halloween Jack posted:

Alex, who sits in front of you, and why do you think she actually seems to notice you?
Laura Malcolms is what they call a goth. I had to look it up, because that wasn't a thing in my time. I just thought she was dressing up like The Crow, which was actually the last movie I saw before... yeah. It was kind of disappointing, because I thought maybe she was also a ghost, but she wasn't. She does seem kind of obsessed with death, which is maybe why I'm more real to her? I don't know. I've been thinking about telling her what I am; I don't have many... any... friends, and she might think it was cool.

I think I should definitely get a nose ring.

quote:

Who sits next to you, and why was he crying in class?
That's Michael Wu. He's super nervous and twitchy, but it seems like he knows every answer to every question the teachers ask. But he never raises his hand to get called on, he just mumbles the answer under his breath right before someone else gets it right. The other boys pick on him in gym because he showers in clothes, y'know, like he's afraid to get naked in front of anyone else?

It's because he has a huge birthmark in the shape of a hand-print on his chest. Nobody else knows but me.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 3, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

The first day we all got together for dinner and everyone started chatting. At some point, I tried asking Toby to pass something. But things were a little loud and I had to keep repeating myself. Finally I lost my temper and slammed my fist down on the table to get everyone to be quiet for a second. Except I accidentally hit Toby's plate instead and dumped his own food right on him. There was an incredibly awkward silence while I tried to apologize. We went back to talking eventually, but everyone kept looking at me occasionally.

quote:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

After the, uh, incident at the theater, I spent detention with Violet. I hadn't really talked to her before but as we got to know each other I realized there's something...wrong about her. I could sense it. Later that night I tried asking Moon, but it said "You sure you want to know about it, kiddo? Personally I wouldn't get involved. That's just my advice though." I backed down, but maybe I can see if it's worth it. I've started following her around, to see what she gets up to. So far though she just seems to be kind of an rear end in a top hat. I'd think I was over reacting if Moon hadn't said what it said.

Halloween Jack posted:

Zachary, who sits behind you, and why is she the most annoying person alive?

Ester Lindberg. She keeps asking me about the mansion, the other kids there, and Mr. Young. I thought it was standard curiosity at first but now I've realized she thinks there's some kind of ~DEEP MYSTERY~ and that I know more then I'm telling. Okay so I guess there actually are weird things going on, but even so I don't actually know half of what she thinks I do. That hasn't stopped her from constantly bugging me about it though.

Taking a String on Ester

Halloween Jack posted:

Who sits next to you, and why is he always picking on people?

Leon Martin seems to want to be some kind of big shot leader like Victoria. He tried getting me to join, but once he made it clear he expected me to be his muscle and go around hurting people I told him to shove off. He was pretty surprised, and then angry. We had an argument but luckily just a verbal one. Anyway, he's going around getting other people to join and picking on anyone weaker so he can look tough. He's been giving me these looks, but honestly I'm too busy to deal with him. I'm sure Victoria will do something if he starts getting too big anyway.

Giving a String to Leon

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support.Take a String on each.

So, my laptop went up in smoke with everything else. I don't know if we get some kind of allowance, or if we can help out for cash or get a part-time job, but for now, I'm without the cash to buy another one. So I've been spending a lot of time in... I guess you'd call it the Computer Lab? I've never been in a house that had one of those.

So I'm looking up stuff, trying to sort out what's some schizo whining about not-Slender-Man on tumblr and what might be some real evidence, and this other girl living there, Alex, asked me for help. I'm not a computer whiz, but apparently she's -real bad- at it. Sometimes she'll help me out - I told her that I'm into looking up monsters and legends as, like, a hobby. I'm not really sure she believes me.

Violet, on the other hand, she seemed to know I was really after something from the start. I don't know the area that well yet, but when I start snooping around at night, I think I'll invite her with. If nothing else, she'd probably get a kick out of sneaking around.

quote:

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

<TBD by MC>

quote:

Jackie, who sits behind you, and what is she always whispering in your ear about?

That'd be Carla Macdonald. She doesn't live at the house, but I guess she heard about my little... incident with that girl Victoria, and thinks I'm some kind of ally in her own petty little personal guerilla war against her. Me? I'm over it, but Carla keeps egging me on. (Giving her a string)

quote:

Who sits in front of you, and why can't you stop looking him over?

There's something deeply wrong with Eddie Greene. The way he sits, it's like he's a white-knuckled coiled spring. Homeroom ends, and he's out of the room like someone set his rear end on fire. I don't know where he's going - we have a bunch of time to get to class, and if he's cutting class, then why show up to homeroom. No one I've talked to has classes with him. (Taking a string)

(Also updated Jackie's sheet on p1 with the every-other-person's NPCs strings)

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

quote:

Declare one person to be your lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Oh my god. Violet is amazing. It's not just that she gave Cecilia a talking-to for me. No, it's the way she moves. She's beauty, she's grace, she'll punch you in the face. She's the most dangerous thing in the room and that's really cool.

Don't tell anyone, but she took me down to the old chapel she found. I brought a bottle of wine from my mom's closet and we drank it out of the communion chalice and gossiped and laughed a lot. Later, we made out. I was afraid she'd be turned off by my body but she didn't seem to mind. She just treated me like any other guy.

She hasn't invited me back yet, but I just know we're gonna get together. I took some of my birthday money and bought myself a better packer, one of the ones you can make erect. She made me feel good and I wanna make her feel good too.

Halloween Jack posted:

Toby, who sits next to you, and what did he do for you when you were having a really bad day? Who sits next to you, and why is she in so much trouble?

Hiral Kurinji's dad works for some biotech company and his mom's a lawyer. I was really down in the dumps because it was my birthday and mom was spending it in Zurich or wherever. She didn't even get me a present, just transferred some cash and told me to get something I wanted. So Hiral found out it was my birthday and I wasn't doing anything for it and he got his dad to take me and a couple of our classmates to King's Dominion. It's a pretty fun amusement park and they have some great coasters. And he didn't have to do that, but he did it, and that was really nice. (Giving a string.)

I don't really mind if Stacy Richardson wants to cheat. I just mind that her "whisper" is almost always loud enough for the teacher to hear. She has got to learn some subtlety or she's gonna get the snot beaten out of her one of these days. (Taking a string.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Strings spreadsheet

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I ran into Susan and Karen making out in one of the halls. They made a big deal out of it for some reason, so I figure it's a secret. Maybe I can use that to make Victoria's unholy quartet back off if I have to. Taking a String on Karen Lackoff.

Michael wasn't couhing up his homework for me to copy the other day, so I had to do a little convincing. Only partially my fault his backpack ended up in the tree outside the window. The dangers of being on the third story, right? Taking a String on Michael Wu.

Leon came to back me up against Victoria's little terror clique the other day. Enemy of my enemy, right? Giving Leon Martin a String.

Carla that drat rumor monger. She somehow got wind of Toby and me and apparently got a bug up her rear end about it or something. I was just having some fun fooling around but apparently that's now white-hot rumor material. Giving Carla Macdonald a String.

Speaking of Toby, we got talking on his birthday on that trip to King's Dominion that Hiral's dad paid for. gently caress if I know why he asked me to come along but hey, gift horse and all that, right? Giving Hiral Kurinji a String.

Atropha fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 4, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Susan Kimball kind of reminds me of me; she's from the same kind of town, she has the same type of parents, and she's... keeping the same type of secret. I saw her and Karen in the supply closet. I've been trying to make friends with her, because i think she needs a friend. I wouldn't tell anyone.

Taking a string on Susan Kimball.

Freddy Miller
isn't your usual school bully. He's got cunning working for him. He's been trying to steal my notebook where I write down my songs, but so far I've been able to hide it.

Giving one string to Freddy Miller

This girl, Ester Lindberg, asked me if I knew of anything weird happening at this school, and, dumb ole me, I said yes. At first it was flattering to have someone think that I know what's going on, just because I totally do, but now she won't stop bothering me about helping her investigate the Mystery of New Salem!

Giving one string to Ester Lindberg

I know where Eddie Greene goes when he runs out of class. I followed him, and he never even knew it.

Taking one string on Eddie Greene

Hiral Kurinji asked me to go to King's Dominion with a bunch of other people. I don't even know how he noticed me: I don't think we'd spoken more than a dozen words before. That was really nice of him.

Giving one string to Hiral Kurinji

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 4, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
One time I was talking to Susan Kimball while we were alone, and she started crying. Apparently she and Victoria's friend Karen are an item, but they have to keep it hidden and Karen is still flirting around. I tried to comfort her, one thing lead to another, and we began making out. I really hope Karen doesn't find out about this, I don't need Victoria after me.

Giving a String to Susan

Debbie Jenkins keeps looking at me and then turning away whenever I look back. One time I tried going up to her and starting a conversation, but she turned red and ran off. Does she really like me that much?

Taking a String on Debbie

Laura Malcolms

I've seen her talking to Alex in class, so I tried getting any information she could give me. I mean, I don't know what to do about a ghost. But she got kind of suspicious about how insistant I was, and I had to drop it.

Laura takes a String

Carla Macdonald

She also tried to get me to go along with her stupid plan to dethrone Victoria or whatever. At least she listened when I told her I have no interest in angering someone powerful that I live with.

Carla takes a String

Hiral Kurinji

Hiral was bemoaning his lack of dates, and I tried to cheer him up by letting him know there'd be girls interested in a cute guy like him. He kinda just focused on the "cute" thing though, so things got a little weird.

Hiral takes a String

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 4, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Victoria

All the death stuff hanging around Laura Malcolms is gross. I don't get it. If there's one thing goth kids like, though, it's weed, and Laura's my channel into them. She gets a nice cut and I don't have to deal the mascara herpes crowd.
(Giving a string to Laura)

You get enough pressure to perform, sometimes you need some help. Nothing wrong with that, that's what I keep telling Michael Wu. Nothing wrong with getting some 'study aids'.
(Taking a string on Michael)

I don't even know what Carla Macdonald's deal is. Plenty of girls are jealous of me - Carla amps it eleven for some totally mysterious reason. I barely even know her!
(Giving a string to Carla)

I need to figure out Eddie Green. He's got intensity and is clearly up to something. Could it be useful?
(Taking a string on Eddie)

Hiral Kurinji is a good guy. Not in the fedora/bow tie way, I mean it seriously. I like him. He's smart and sexy, comes from the right kind of family. He invited Gwen and me on that King's Dominion trip, which I though was a way to get in my pants - turned out he was aiming for Gwen. It's good, Gwennie deserves somebody quality. Spending more time around him, kind of wish he'd made the other choice.
(Giving a string to Hiral)

Just shut your drat mouth, Stacy Richardson! Amanda and I gave her a...talking to in the locker room last week. We'll see if it takes.
(Taking a string on Stacy)

So Amanda's brother Mike kind of had this crush on Debbie Jenkins - whatever, no accounting for taste. But when he finally invited her to homecoming, I'm the one who got hit with a sartorial hurricane. Girl was so timid I thought I might break her. Finally pulled it all together, though, and we wowed the eyes right out of Mike's head.
(Taking a strong on Debbie)

Freddy Miller is useful muscle. I wouldn't say he's in my circle, but he's helped me keep some people in line.
(Giving a string to Freddy)

Ester Lindberg asks too many questions. I need to make sure her questions stay...academic.
(Taking a string on Ester)

Is Leon Martin my male doppelganger? No, of course not, he's nowhere near my level. Doesn't keep him from thinking he is. I'm giving him some running space for now - if I can use him for arm's length stuff, fine. Otherwise, we're going to have a problem.
(Giving a string to Leon)

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

What time is it? Adventure Nameplate Time!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jolinaxas posted:

There's someone who knows that you're the Chosen One, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

quote:

<TBD by MC>

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Amanda's got a neat little black market going on and guess who got her the key to the storage closet where she hides most of her stash? Turns out you can get ahold of just about anything you need when your mom has an "errand she needs you to run" in Mr. Young's offices. Turns out now Amanda owes me a favor.

Taking a string on Amanda

Freddie Miller messed with Violet. He shouldn't have done that. I see a lot more than people might think and I've got my eye on him. Sooner or later he'll get his.

Taking a string on Freddie

I tried asking Laura Malcolms if she wanted to join me for a working. Big mistake. She's not really religious and, more importantly, the kind of not really religious she is is Christian. I don't think she's going to spread gossip about what I believe, but you never know. Dammit!

Giving a string to Laura

Leon Martin doesn't seem to want to write his own papers. Well, I don't want to write his papers either, but he's the one with the muscle. I gave him an outline contrasting how West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet develop their themes and that seemed to satisfy him this time, even if it was mostly just something I downloaded and embellished a little. But I need to figure out what to do the next time he comes calling.

Giving a string to Leon

What the hell is Carla Macdonald's deal? She tried to blackmail me over getting together with Violet, as if that were something to be ashamed of. And all over a stupid feud with Victoria? That girl's standing in a dangerous place.

Taking a string on Carla

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

And since all that's left are some NPC strings, here's who has the most on each character for stat highlighting.

Toby Hawke - Violet holds the most Strings on him
Violet Chambers - Zachary Hunter holds the most Strings on her
Jackie DeSilva - Victoria holds the most Strings on her
Victoria Owens - Jackie holds the most Strings on her
Zachary Hunter - Everyone has the same amount of Strings on him (Have Alex pick?)
Alex Phane - Jackie and Zachary have the most Strings on her (Should probably be Zach)

Atropha fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Violet picks for Toby
Toby picks for Violet
Victoria picks for Jackie
Jackie picks for Victoria
Alex picks for Zachary
Zachary picks for Alex

...and they all lived together in a little crooked house.

(It's not my objective to have pairs of characters pick for each other, but this allows everyone to pick for someone, and suits my nefarious purposes.)

You all make your picks before I make mine.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Toby highlights Cold. It's cool, Violet's got his back. And all the Strings.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Jackie should highlight Dark. She needs to probe the depths of weirdness around us all.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Alex highlights Hot. She needs to work on having some positive interactions with people I think.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Violet highlights Volatile! Run away, lash out; either way it's drama.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Let's see Victoria get Cold. Insert your own "Ice Queen" jokes at your leisure.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Zach should highlight Volatile, because we've got plenty of sex, so we need more violence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Toby, one of Marcus' guests offered to take you someplace, but you chickened out...or maybe you got a bad feeling about her. Where is it?

Violet, there's a place that even Mr. S doesn't want you to go. You dare say he even seems spooked by it. Where is it?

Jackie, you saw Mr. de Luna, your homeroom teacher, in a place you don't think either of you were supposed to be. Where is it?

Victoria, remember that place Marcus took you all for a good time before school started? But it didn't turn out so great. Where is it?

Zachary, there's a place some of your classmates are talking about that's supposed to be really wild. Even Marcus probably won't approve of you going there. Where is it?

Alex, you found a place that was great when you wanted to be alone and watch people at the same time...but now you're starting to feel exposed there. Where is it?

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

There's a back road that goes into the nearby woods. Mostly people walking their dogs and hiking and poo poo and some camping sites, a couple small lakes. Been there a couple times to sit around the campfire with a bunch of people which was pretty cool. Anyway, once you go past that there's really not much of anything anymore except more woods. But I ended up wandering around there just to see if there were any cool places we'd missed and there's a small road that I started going down when Mr. S suddenly chimes in. First he's all 'Why are you wasting your time wandering through the woods?' but when I kept going he started getting a little more pushy. Usually he just offers ideas and let's me do my own thing but he almost was ordering me to turn around. He was trying to sound angry -- well, he always sounds at least a little angry, even when he's trying to sweet-talk me into something, but you know what I mean -- but he almost sounded worried. Like he seriously didn't want me going there. I asked him why but he just said he had a bad feeling about whatever was down that road.

Now, and I wanna stress this, I'm not easily scared. But neither is Mr. S so this was seriously weird. So naturally I kept going because gently caress, this was gonna bug me all week if I didn't at least try to find out what was up. He didn't say anything else so I dunno if he just got pissed at me or actually left (not like he's looking over my shoulder 24/7 anyway) but it was better than being yelled at so that was alright with me. So as I'm going down this road I'm almost expecting more weird poo poo, right? But it was just a dumb old dirt road in the woods. Birds in the trees, sun's shining, I almost feel like an idiot for even bothering because now I'm getting bored and I could be back at the campsite and see if people have shown up yet. I could go for something to drink but instead I'm here, pissing off Mr. S by wasting my time walking down this dumb road like an idiot. I'm not even curios anymore but I keep going. I guess out of spite. Like, gently caress you, I'll stomp down this road if I want to. And then eventually the road curves a little and then stops at this house. Now, I know what you're picturing now. Some spooky, rickety old piece of poo poo or some half-ruined dump like in that Blair Witch movie or something. But nope, just a dumb old house. Red bricks, little porch, black shingles, small chimney.

At this point I almost feel ripped off, but the place did look a little weird. Like how there's no car or any tire tracks on the road yet the place looks clean and lived in. There's no mailbox (not that you'd expect this lovely road to have a name to begin with) but there's a loving rolled up newspaper lieing on the porch. I'm thinking about going closer, maybe look through one of the windows when I see a shadow moving behind the curtains and for some reason that startled the poo poo out of me and I scrambled back a bit behind the trees. Not even sure why but something about the place made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I stuck around for a bit to see if I could spot anybody inside when I spot this roughly a million year old little lady open the front door to pick up the newspaper. Somehow she doesn't break her spine but I swear I could hear joints popping from all the way over here. And then as she's shuffling back inside she turns around and looks straight at me somehow and goes "Is there somebody out there?" And I'm, like, at least 60 yards away, behind a tree but I can hear her just fine. You know how you expect old people to have this tiny weak-rear end voice? Well, she didn't and if I think about it, it didn't really sound like much of a question either. More like she knew I was there and was giving me a chance to answer anyway. At this point I'm hiding behind the tree completely with back against the trunk and for some reason I am freaked out. So I just stand there for what feels like ages until I think I hear the front door close and then I just bolted out of there.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The first week we were here, Mr. Young rounded all of us up and said he'd take us out to dinner. We'd been locked down while everybody arrived, so I'm thrilled. We're going to Luther's, which just...listen to the name! I'm picturing this:

I gave the whole event my undivided attention. I spent a couple hours getting ready, the perfect dress with perfect hair and my winning-est makeup. I broke out the fancy poo poo, my Gucci's and everything. Mister Young gave me this look when I came out to get in the van, then shrugged it off. Whatever, all my classmates were giving me looks. Very jelly.

Problem? Luther's is actually like this:

Right, I'm dressed to the nines, hours of prep for this...dive? Ugh. It's not like I can run off and change so I'm stuck there, desperately trying to lower myself to this level. There's local yokels giving me a look too, and it's not a good one. 'Who's this girl?' they're saying, their eyes boring through me. I could feel them staring at my soul...or....maybe something else? I swear I saw one of them licking his lips. If Mr. Young hadn't been there I don't know what would have happened.

I got back to the school and hid in my bed all night. Did anybody hear me?

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 6, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Toby, one of Marcus' guests offered to take you someplace, but you chickened out...or maybe you got a bad feeling about her. Where is it?

Lin Ahlstad is built. I mean, really loving built. She could play Wonder Woman, I mean. She's a fashion consultant, lives in Paris, flies in to Richmond every few months. In her spare time she's apparently some kind of amateur archeologist. One time she took me downtown to a museum Mr. Young had endowed and showed me some of the items he'd donated. For each one, she rattled off an exotic locale.

She also occasionally gets containers — whole "cans", like the ones Mr. Young's company uses — delivered to an empty garage on the property. I guess that's how she brings her finds into the country? It's kind of cool, I'll admit. Over the Thanksgiving break, she offered to take me with her on a trip to Cusco, just for fun! I wanted to go, but I had some makeup homework I hadn't finished and I didn't want to make Mom upset, so I begged off. Lin flew out the next day.

The day after that, she was back. "Short trip!" I said. She laughed and said she'd realized she'd forgotten something important. Later that day, I happened to be passing by that garage. The door was open, and so was the shipping container. Inside was something like an Egyptian sarcophagus, the lid leaning on the wall of the container. Pretty weird to leave it like that, but maybe she had to get something out of it for her trip? There was also a pair of North Face boots (the same kind Lin wears when she goes hiking). They'd gone through a lot of wear. I felt like they were about to fall apart in my hands! It's weird she'd leave them there, but it's none of my business, so I put them back and went back to the house.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alex highlights Cold. Baby, I've been breaking glass in your room again. Listen.

Jackie highlights Volatile. You break open your million dollar weapon, but it's all used up.

Toby highlights Hot. Smile, at least. You can't say no to the beauty and the beast, darling.

Victoria highlights Dark. She's a queen, and such are queens that your laughter is sucked in their brains.

Violet highlights Hot. There's my baby, lost, that's all.

Zach highlights Dark. I can stare for a thousand years, colder than the moon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Your homeroom teacher is Adrian de Luna. He teaches French, Spanish, and Latin. He is good friends with Ms. Lee, and recently immigrated from Spain, though he barely has an accent. His ideal homeroom student is one who doesn't do anything that requires him to look up from the newspaper. He occasionally chuckles at it. This limited sense of humour seems reserved entirely for newspapers.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Halloween Jack posted:

Jackie, you saw Mr. de Luna, your homeroom teacher, in a place you don't think either of you were supposed to be. Where is it?

A few miles away from the property, there's this old mine. Wikipedia says it's a Superfund site that put a delicious serving of heavy metals into the local drinking water for about twenty years or so, and no one's allowed to be there - it's that toxic.

So perfect hiding spot for anything creepy nearby, I figured. What I didn't figure on was seeing Mr. de Luna's car parked in one of the old, decrepit parking lots. I couldn't see what he was doing, but after about ten minutes of watching through the treeline, he just took off. I stayed put for about then minutes, in case he came back, but he didn't. No luck on the monsters...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jackie.

You can't exactly sneak out from home. The mansion is a half-hour drive from Richmond, and all you discover prowling around the estate are the sounds. The whistling of the wind through the trees and the towers, the scrape of dead leaves blowing over the roofs, the cries of birds. You think sometimes that you can hear whispers but then, nothing.

But there are ways. Buses go from the school to the city every afternoon, and when you're ready to come home, Miguel will come pick you up whenever. He asks you questions about where you've been and what you've been doing, but mostly out of boredom, it seems. He was at the end of his professional driving career, no prospects in sight and a baby on the way, when Marcus offered him a cushy job to pick up groceries and cart you kids around. It occurs to you that like any good businessman, Marcus acquires things of value when they're at a low point.

You're walking past one of the sushi places in Carytown when you hear your name. "Jackie," says a woman taking a little girl's hand. Oh, okay. Not you. Then you hear it again, you think, from somewhere across the street. You focus, one by one, on the conversations of passerby when it hits you. Strangers saying things at random, that have no place in their train of thought. "Get out of here. Go home!" says a man who just spilled his coffee. "Back to Connecticut. Anywhere but here," a young woman says to her dog. A fat man in a business suit says "I want have you loving this up" into his phone, then seems surprised at himself. A skinny hipster with a raggedy beard and trashy tattoos pulls his collar up against the cold as he passes you, hunched over. "Tell Marcus you want out."

That's when he hits you. Your back collides with a trash can and your assailant almost catches a fist in the face before you realize he's a confused homeless man. He doesn't seem to see you at all, and stumbles away mumbling and shivering. "Nobody, nobody, get outta my head!" When you regain your composure you realize that it wasn't nobody. It was a name. Brody, Brody, get out of my head.

A group of little children in front of the toy store link their mittened hands and sing. "Ash-es! Ash-es! Ash-es! Ash-es! Ash-es! Ash-es! All fall dead!" They collapse onto the sidewalk, giggling, and a tide of confused parents comes in to sweep them up.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

There's this new nightclub, the Fortress, that opened up downtown. Aside from the usual stuff that goes down, I've heard various rumors that being "in" with the owners can give some sort of extra benefit. Depending on who you ask it's minor stuff like reduced prices/free drinks, or ridiculous things like membership into some secret society. I have no idea how people even think of that.

The weird thing is, some of the students and I decided to take a look during a weekday after school once - but when when we got close I started hearing some loud shrill noise. It didn't hurt or anything, but it was pretty irritating. When I mentioned it to everyone else though, they looked at me in confusion and I realized only I could hear it. I made an excuse and left, but what was up with that?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

There's this place downtown called Coffee Jones, it's pretty great. I guess what drew me in was the moody music, and the pictures of Seattle all over the walls, but I ended up staying to watch the people. The coffee's, like, stupid expensive, and it's mostly made of foam, but I found out that I could buy a huge mug and stake out one of the comfy recliners and nobody would bother me, or even notice me, for hours. Also, it's open 24 hours, which is great if you can't sleep. Or, y'know... if you don't ever sleep. You see the weirdest people at 2 AM.

But lately they've been having these things there that are just the absolute worst; open mic poetry nights, three times a week. It's like if they made torture pretentious. Worse, people from school are starting to show up there, and they can see me almost all the time! I don't know what to do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hot 0 | Cold 2 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

(This is a template)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Game thread is up!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ym3J5iEcQ

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Mr. S needs some background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0NlXKPaqZg

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It occurred to me I ought to post here about how I'm portraying Toby's religious activities. Basically, I'm intending to depict it as "fluffy bunny" style wicca; the hot topic ripoff version of modern paganism. He got it off Livejournal and Tumblr and he's very sincere and probably very foolish.

If you happen to be pagan of some variety, I hope you will let me know if anything I do here with Toby is offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
HAH!

• Locked thread