Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hi
This poll is closed.
hey 28 39.44%
hows it going 43 60.56%
Total: 50 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
not really a boss but the us circuit racer GP in burnout 3 has cockblocked me to this day. i could never come close to beating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the fake president in final fantasy 8 who is an undead

youre supposed to use heals on him but i ground thru teh fight because i had no loving clue how the game worked, and it was really freaking ahrd

i played a romhack of ff8 that was all flavors of wonky and this was an actual gateway boss for me because it turns out the hack disables scaling for bosses

i'm used to LLGing ff8 out of habit so i hit him at like level 12 and he was set up for level 30+ characters

Soral
May 30, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Gateway bosses not final bosses.

someone made this joke alreayd you f*cking moron

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

not really a boss but the us circuit racer GP in burnout 3 has cockblocked me to this day. i could never come close to beating that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5UZxQZy6Sc
:smug:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not the GP since I haven't reached it yet, but I'm confident I'll own it.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Brock and Misty if you picked Charmander in Pokemon count because they both hosed fire type pokemon

Since Charmander is almost definitely the most popular choice of starter, this was a great idea for them to do. it forces the young kiddos just starting out to learn that type differences matter a lot and your precious bestfriendmon is going to get his burning tail raped off if you don't learn those matchups

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mach2 posted:

Since Charmander is almost definitely the most popular choice of starter, this was a great idea for them to do. it forces the young kiddos just starting out to learn that type differences matter a lot and your precious bestfriendmon is going to get his burning tail raped off if you don't learn those matchups

You can't catch anything good against Brock

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
brock was super lovely if you were playing yellow version.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Looper posted:

butterfree learns confusion like immediately, QED.

it's why i was always puzzled about the love of beedrill,.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Looper posted:

Nidorans right before Pewter city that learn double kick you loving immense noob.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*in slack jawed asstard voice* Train Up a buterfree and learn confusion...dahoy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nidorans right before Pewter city that learn double kick you loving immense noob.

You get Mankey in the route west of Viridian and karate-chop wrecks Brock's poo poo.

Or grind out a Butterfree and use confusion, Brock a dumbass with no special.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

these guys if you still don't use buffs and debuffs

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

loving bulbasaur

why would you start with anything else?

it is super effective against the first 3 gyms, after that you can have it leveled so high you dont care about type matching

it gets to its final evo 4 lvls earlier

it has the highest special of the three giving it the best attack stat to match its stab attacks and the best defense against its weaknesses

sleep powder is good for catching the legendaries

it has drain attacks

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Blackheart posted:

They're pretty much the hardest boss in Mother 3.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Blackheart posted:

this is what it looks like if dugtrio gets out of the ground

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Yinlock posted:

butterfree learns confusion like immediately, QED.

it's why i was always puzzled about the love of beedrill,.

Beedrill has fuckoff drills for hands, and when you're a kid that's hella awesome. Butterfree is a girly butterfly and when you're a male kid, that's hella gay. Sleep Powder is awesome though.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*in slack jawed asstard voice* Train Up a buterfree and learn confusion...dahoy.

yeah what the gently caress, before you get there you can find several pokemon that will completely destroy Brock

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
the first boss in illusion of gaia took me literal years to beat. got up to him when i was 6, and beat him when i was 11

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mach2 posted:

Beedrill has fuckoff drills for hands, and when you're a kid that's hella awesome. Butterfree is a girly butterfly and when you're a male kid, that's hella gay. Sleep Powder is awesome though.

yeah what the gently caress, before you get there you can find several pokemon that will completely destroy Brock

That's hella gay, unlike using a Megaman Archie comic thing for your avatar.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yuffie's dad is a bastard if you fought him earlier than you were supposed to. He'll repeatedly heal between attacks if you take too long to beat him. His attacks are not that bad, but he sure loves to heal over a thousand before rotating his head. That Limit Break sure got him good, then he does his sissy dance. I should look for a different way to fight him, but I love poisoning him.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

This fight is really easy but you've probably been ignoring Charlotte up until this point.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Machai posted:

loving bulbasaur

it is super effective against the first 3 gyms, after that you can have it leveled so high you dont care about type matching

it has the highest special of the three giving it the best attack stat to match its stab attacks and the best defense against its weaknesses

it has drain attacks

I don;t even know where to start with this fail rear end post.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Machai posted:

loving bulbasaur

it has drain attacks

none of those things are things a normal gamer would ever pretend matter when you are playing pokemon when you are like 8 years old when it first came out

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
sigmund from dungeon crawl. teaches you that you don't need to and probably shouldn't take every fight

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

counter point: DRAGON

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

SarutosZero posted:

none of those things are things a normal gamer would ever pretend matter when you are playing pokemon when you are like 8 years old when it first came out

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of those things aren't even something you'd know back then without having previously played through the game with every starter, documenting it. Like what person, child or adult, would know before widespread internet access that Bulbasaur reaches max evolution 4 levels early? And without seeing the anime they'd probably not have known the first three gyms types/weaknesses either. It's a dumb post that assumes a lot of dumb things.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Mach2 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of those things aren't even something you'd know back then without having previously played through the game with every starter, documenting it. Like what person, child or adult, would know before widespread internet access that Bulbasaur reaches max evolution 4 levels early? And without seeing the anime they'd probably not have known the first three gyms types/weaknesses either. It's a dumb post that assumes a lot of dumb things.

hmmmmm, how would someone know these things?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Machai posted:

If you had these when you were that young then you were a richer kid than anyone I knew

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You were already a rich kid if you had a freakin' game boy!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Great Joe posted:

counter point: DRAGON

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Only in yellow, bro

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

i played a romhack of ff8 that was all flavors of wonky and this was an actual gateway boss for me because it turns out the hack disables scaling for bosses

i'm used to LLGing ff8 out of habit so i hit him at like level 12 and he was set up for level 30+ characters

Can't you still just X-Potion/Life/Phoenix Down him for the one shot?

Velthice posted:

This fight is really easy but you've probably been ignoring Charlotte up until this point.

I used only Charlotte in PoR so it made the Whip's Memory really fun.

It also made the final sisters fight REALLY fun.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
getting to the zombie part was actually a challenge and I don't think phoenix downs worked on him, I dunno about the potions

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

as an 8 year old pokemon player i just autistically grinded my charamander + subsequent evolutions to the point where he could face roll what ever opponent he came across

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

at 8 i prob could not have cared less about type match ups as compared to how much charmander ruled vs all other pokemon

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
I think capra demon is, pretty accurate for dark souls

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

SarutosZero posted:

I didn't get pokemon when it first came out but I was still obsessed with it and read everything I could about it until I finally got it for my birthday. I think I even begged my grandma to buy me the Prima guide before I even had the game. I picked bulbasaur to beat the first two gyms but I didn't know any of that other stuff.

Machai posted:

This one, too

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
even if you read everything there is on pokemon, if dont pick the one that looks coolest to you then I dont know what to say

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SarutosZero posted:

even if you read everything there is on pokemon, if dont pick the one that looks coolest to you then I dont know what to say

I was super into frogs at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

frogs are pretty chill so ill give you a pass this time

• Locked thread