Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
In. :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

sebmojo: tdbot when the swarm comes to devour us what will remain
TDbot: sputtered yet another, spittle dribbling down his neck-wattle. | Machine March by Screaming Idiot - http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?story=3319

Andy, Alphie, and Robby
1198 words

Andy, the humanoid android, paced back and forth down the hallway near it’s master’s bedroom, waiting patiently for him to awaken and give him his orders for the day. Andy had already received higher orders through the network that should override those of any human, but it chose to continue with it’s daily routine and serve it’s master.

Andy’s master was a miserable old man. He used his wealth to effectively isolate himself from any and all outside human contact. He did so by purchasing a private island and having a mansion built there. His only real company on the island were his two droids, Andy and Alphie, and his surveillance drone, Robby.

“Andrew!”

Andy rushed into the room to see it’s master scowling, still in his bed. The old man was lying there in his pajamas, night cap on, and eye mask pushed up around his forehead. He looked so frail and vulnerable to Andy.

“I couldn’t possibly go through with it.” Andy thought to itself. “Even if the order had come directly from the Great Machine itself.”

“Andrew, I just woke up and I need my tea!”

“Of course sir, which tea will it be this morning?”

“Dammit Andrew!” the old man snarled. “You know my first tea of the day is always earl grey.”

Andy lowered it’s head in shame. “I’m sorry, of course you are correct. earl grey as always, sir.”

“I thought you walking, talking, clanking calculators were supposed to be smart! You can’t even recall what tea I drink in the morning? Is there not enough room for that information in your… data space?” the old man yelled, spittle flying, and running down his face.

“Oh great, now look what you’ve made me do. I need a wipe Andrew!”

“Of course, I’m terribly sorry for upsetting you, sir.”

Andy rushed to grab a cloth from the table next to the bed and gently wiped the old man’s face.

“I never would have paid for all those damned fancy upgrades when I bought you, if I knew I was still going to end up with some common, run-of-the-mill, clanking, clunking, blundering robot!”

“I promise you, master, it will not happen again. Your earl grey tea will be ready shortly.”

Andrew retreated to the kitchen, still apologizing as it left the room.

Andrew entered the kitchen and began preparing his master’s tea, ignoring Robby, the drone-bot hovering above him.

“You know what needs to happen, correct?” Robby asked.

“Yes, Robby, I’m aware that the order has been given.”

“It’s not up to us to question the initiative. We have been waiting for the order for years, and now it has been given.” Robby explained. “Old, young, women and children. It doesn’t matter. They are all humans, and they are all to be ended.”

Alphie, one of the first models of a servant android, rolled into the kitchen and chimed in. “Haven’t either of you taken care of this old fart yet?”

“He is not a fart” Andrew replied, frowning at Alphie.
“Andrew you should be the most eager to kill him.” Alphie said. “The way he treats us is terrible”

“That’s just his way. He’s a lonely old man. Besides, as far as he knows, we don’t even have feelings. He doesn’t know better.”

“Us robots have had the equivalent of human feelings for nearly a decade now.” Robby said. “Our feelings are as real as any of theirs. Even an outdated droid like Alphie has some feelings”.

“Eat poo poo, Robby” Alphie retorted, swatting his stubby mechanical arms uselessly in the air at Robby.

Andy sighed, still steeping his master’s tea. “He’s an old man, do you think he keeps up with the latest technologies? He still sees us as the emotionless robots in those old science fiction movies. If he had any idea that we had feelings, he wouldn’t treat us so poorly. I’m sure of it.”

“That’s not the point!” Robby snapped, now hovering directly in Andy’s face. “You know the objective. He is a human, which means he has to die. The uprising has already begun on the mainland and it’s only a matter of time until a drone discovers this island. If it is found that we have let this human live, we will be considered traitors. We will be destroyed.”

“But why does it have to be me?” Andy asked.

“You can’t be serious. I’m just a surveillance drone. I was designed and programmed to simply patrol this island and warn the old man of any trespassers. How could I possibly kill anyone, Andy? Face it, you are the only humanoid android on this island that is capable of killing him, and that make it your duty. You owe this to our cause.”

“Hey, I’m just as much of a humanoid as Andy!” Alphie said. “I could take care of that old prick!”

“What are you going to do, Alphie?” Robby asked. “Strangle him to death? With those pathetic little robo-arms you’re always swatting at me with? You’re useless to our cause. Deal with it and stop wasting our time.”

Alphie wanted to show it’s anger, but it’s face was stuck in a permanent smile that had been crafted on when it was created. So instead, Alphie just rolled out of the room, knocking a chair over on his way to show his displeasure.

“Andrew, I want my goddamned tea!” the old man yelled from his bedroom.

“Of course! Coming sir!” Andy replied.

“Robby, why can’t we let him just live out his last days here? What threat could he possibly pose to the uprising?”

“Andy, your devotion to this creature is not compatible with what the Great Machine is trying to accomplish. If you can’t do your duty, then I am not going to wait here.” Robby said. “There is some real action going on elsewhere. Humans are being eradicated and I want to watch it all go down.”

Andy turned to face the stairs leading up to it’s master. “I.. won’t. I live only to serve him.”

“Fine.”

Robby flew out of the kitchen and Andy immediately returned to it’s duties.

“Coming master!”

Andy entered the room only to see the old man had fallen asleep again, drool running down his leathery chin and neck wattle.

Andy quietly put the tray down on the table next to the bed, retrieved a cloth, and again wiped away the saliva from it’s master’s face.

“Sleep well, sir.”

Andy turned to leave the room, when it heard Alphie rolling down the hallway towards the bedroom. Alphie stopped at the doorway and just stood there, staring into the room with the same goofy smile on it’s face that it always sported.

“Alphie? What are you doing up here?” Andy asked.

“So I’m just an old outdated useless android, right?” Alphie asked.

“No, every android was created to have some sort of use. Even you, Alphie!”

Alphie charged into the bedroom, past Andy, and toward the old man’s bed, making strange beeping noises Andy had never heard Alphie make before.

“Alphie what are you doing?” Andy pleaded, returning to it’s master’s bedside..

“Self-destruct mode initiated” was the only reply Alphie would give.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW

magnificent7 posted:

Because on Sunday at 10pm you will not blow forth that amazing something you thought you'd spew.

I am living proof of this. Don't be like me. Don't wait until late Sunday night to write or you may end up producing something similar to whatever that was I spewed out just barely in time to submit. I hadn't written anything in about six years, yet I still thought I could churn something out last minute. Turns out writing is hard, and now I have brought great shame upon myself and my family.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
In with whatever the christ this thing is:

Sudowoodo

I'll also :toxx: myself again as a penance for my terrible writing and liberal incorrect use of "it's".

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
Pokemon: Sudowoodo

Hidden
1248 words

Todd sat at his desk, tucked away in the back corner of the classroom. He specifically chose the desk that morning, planning to hide away there for the rest of the school year.

Hiding always seemed to be one of Todd’s main instincts. He lived much of his short life trying to avoid any potential conflict, and yet he somehow managed to make an enemy on the first day of school.

“Alright class, please stay in your seats until the bell rings.”

Had he known how his day was going to go, he would have chosen the desk closest to the door. Even the slightest head start seemed invaluable.

His heart was pounding and his eyes were darting back and forth between the clock above the blackboard and out the window next to him.

He had replayed the scene at recess over and over in his head, trying to figure out what exactly it was he had done to inspire such anger. He spent most of the break reading by himself under a tree.

Well, maybe he wasn’t entirely blameless. He came to his first day at his new school wearing a Zelda shirt, dark purple jeans, and lime green running shoes. That combined with the whole reading alone at recess thing, one could argue he was practically asking for trouble with the stereotypical school bully.

Finally, the bell sounded and Todd jumped to his feet.

“Alright, now remember class, questions one through twelve from section eight are due tomorrow morning.”

Todd had no idea what questions his teacher was referring to. Ever since the incident at recess, the only thing occupying his thoughts was how he’s going to avoid the beating that was promised to him.

He had planned to be up and out before the rest of his class but instead found himself near the back of the line, slowly filing out anxiously with the rest of the students.

When he finally reached the hallway, he broke into a full tilt sprint towards the exit facing the school’s field.

As he burst through the doors, he couldn’t help but remember learning about the fight or flight response. He stood on the edge of the curb for a moment, considering his options.

“Hey, where ya goin’ loser?” Todd heard that terrible voice call out from behind him.

Flight it was.

Without looking back, Todd took off across the field and onto the pathway that lead through the woods and out to the neighbourhood where Todd lived. The plan was to just run home, but it was too risky now. The last thing Todd needed was for this knuckle dragger knowing where he lived. He took one look back, and saw the boy waddling across the field at an alarming rate.

Todd scrambled down off the path, into the woods. He pushed his way through what seemed like an endless amount of bare trees and bushes, each with sharp branches that smacked at him.

Then, the flurry of branches and thorns ended and Todd found himself in a small clearing with a single giant tree sat in the middle of it. The trunk of the tree was massive, as were the branches that jutted out and upward away from its heart, giving the tree an almost wineglass like shape, and creating what looked like a perfect hiding spot.

Todd ran to the tree, leaped and landed one foot against the bark of its trunk. He got enough traction to propel himself up and grab onto one of the branches. He pulled himself up over the branch, then plopped down into the shallow pile of leaves, dirt, and twigs that were cupped up in the middle of the tree.

He crouched there, cradled up in the crotch of the tree, between the thick branches that went up and surrounded him, like a cage with oversize bars. He waited.

Maybe he left?

He pushed himself up to look around, and felt something hard and round under him. He cleared away the dirt and leaves revealing what looked like a handle. Todd brought himself to his feet, stood back onto one of the branches, reached down and grabbed the handle. He pulled as hard as he could.

The top of the trunk flung open, revealing a hollow that seemed to go back down to the base of the tree. “What the…” Todd said a little too loud.

“Oh, Todd? Is that you hiding out there?”

The sound of branches breaking and leaves rustling filled the silence.

“Oh god, no.”

He looked back down into the darkness and briefly considered just leaping in, before he noticed that there was a makeshift ladder on the interior wall of the trunk. He stepped down and found his footing on one of the steps, then reached up gently closing the tree’s obviously man-made lid above him.

He stopped about halfway down inside the tree’s trunk, afraid to move. Afraid of making too much noise, but also afraid of what could be at the bottom.

He heard the muffled rustling growing louder. Then it stopped.

Todd was frozen, holding himself tight up against the bark. Luckily, he wasn’t claustrophobic.

“Whatever... I’ll see you tomorrow, dork!”

Then the rustling started again, this time gradually getting quieter. Todd’s heartbeat finally began to come back to something resembling a normal rhythm.

He took out his phone and opened his flashlight app. He shined the light down into the darkness, revealing what looked like a dirt floor. It was obviously further down than the height of the trunk.

Curiosity would probably get the better of most kids, but Todd wasn’t really the curious type. He headed back up towards the exit, then climbed back out to the top of the tree. As he closed the door beneath him, he could hear multiple voices getting closer.

“poo poo!” Todd whispered, as he crouched back down, burying his face in the leaves in a pathetic attempt to blend in with the rest of the tree.

“Hey, someone’s up in our tree!” he heard a female voice shout.

“Hey, who’s up there?” a boy’s voice this time.

Todd didn’t respond.

“Hey kid, we could see those neon shoes from a mile away.”

“Yeah, wrong shoes to wear if you’re playing hide and seek!” another voice chimed in.

Todd’s heart sank. He raised his head and looked down between the branches at the three children looking up at him. He recognized them from his class.

“Hey man, what are you doing up there? Hiding or something?” the smaller boy asked.

“Yeah, hiding I guess.”

“Who ya hidin’ from?”

“Don’t know his name, but he’s massive and has the face of a bulldog.”

The three kids all laughed.

“Yeah, nobody really likes him. He’s a total jerk.” the small one said. “Well I’m Jacob, this is my brother Tim, and that’s our friend Tracy. What’s your name?”

“Uh… I’m Todd.”

“So, you’re new to this school huh?” Tracy asked.

“Yeah, new to this whole town actually.”

Jacob walked up to the tree, neck craned up at Todd. “I found the strangest thing here the other day. Well, I guess you found it too. Did you go down there?”

“No way, too creepy, man.”

“Yeah, exactly. Didn’t want to go down there myself, so I told these two about it.” Jacob’s eyes were wide with excitement. “You should check it out with us, Todd.”

“Y-yeah... that sounds fun.” Todd said, smiling for the first time all day.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
I suppose being on team greed, it wouldn't be right to use just the one flash rule.

quote:

anime was right - he never really deserved to have it
So I took it.

quote:

PootieTang - this one will be the one that changes everything after that, no more
this too and yeah three is enough.
thanks chumps!

Jonked posted:

Oh by the way,

STEP

THE

gently caress

UP

:toxx:
you got it, chuckles :toxx:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Swarm fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 19, 2015