Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: :siren: RESULTS FOR WEEK 143: SMELLS LIKE DOME SPIRITS :siren: :siren:

I hate writing results posts because I have no energy left for kayfabe, so I'm going to give it to you straight: This was actually a pretty good week! Most of the stories were middling, tending towards middling-to-good instead of middling-to-bad, and the judges didn't really want to kill themselves too much at all.

On the other hand, the bad was pretty bad.
DM: Mrenda - A Funeral for a Dog, A Young Murderer, and The Aged Bad Boy of Directing: It was really hard to figure out what was going on in the story, and not worth the effort when I did. There were no "characters" just people saying things that barely made sense, and also no real plot or setting. Basically missing most elements of a story other than "words."
DM: Mercedes - Valley of Death: Should have waited for Nethilia to check your tenses, because they were shifting ALL over the place, but REALLY you have to learn how to do it correctly or fix it yourself. You can't keep relying on other people to do it for you. We also had problems with following your story and understanding what was happening (though not nearly so bad as in Funeral for a Dog), and Janice seemed to become a man for a few paragraphs at the end?

:siren:LOSER: TheGreekOwl - Poison for the Mid Light :siren:
This wasn't even up for debate, IMO, and my other judges pretty much agreed. Sentence construction made A LOT of this difficult to read. I wanted to stop within a few paragraphs. I understand that English is not your native language, but I don't care. These weren't a few mistakes that can be overlooked, they created major problems and interfered with comprehension. But that isn't the biggest reason this story lost. The content, dear god. I parsed all the sentences, I strung them together, and what did I find? A story about a bitter, basement-dwelling nerd trolling (maybe?) people with 9/11 truther 4-chan jokes. I HATE YOU. The best thing I can say about this is "at least it didn't involve a poo poo geyser."

The goods were all pretty strong, even though none really, totally, amazingly, blew us all completely out of the water. We didn't have any trouble agreeing that these were at the top of the pack:
HM: Tyrannosaurus - Tour: We all thought this one had "something." Something kind of funny and something poignant about human nature and the stories we tell ourselves to make this horrible life okay.
HM: Killer-of-Lawyers - Decay This story was one of my favorites to read. I thought the spaceship was one of the most "characterized" characters of the entire week, and the story made sense and was fun. Words didn't get in the way of themselves. You did a good job of using sensory information going through a computer instead of a human, too.
HM: Noah - Inheritance I just realized we didn't discuss why we liked this one, because we all liked it, but not enough for the win. It hung together really well and the premise was interesting and clearly presented without being belabored.
HM: Sitting Here - Wild Flower LUSH. Really gorgeous prose and imagery. Muffin awarded you all the pretty points. Touched on some of the subtle pains and joys of human life. Ending just a little off, rendering it more of a vignette than a satisfying story.

:siren: Winner: Kaishai - Ghost :siren:
An incredibly enjoyable story to read. The setting felt very unique, even though you barely described it directly. The ending fulfilled the promise of the beginning, and it felt natural getting there. The whole time I was interested in what was happening and what would happen next. I would enjoy reading an expanded version of this very much, so please write.

So, thank you all for not killing me, and with great relief, I pass the throne back to Kaishai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

TheGreekOwl posted:

Well, not suprised that I wrote the worst. I was sleep deprived when I had to submit this, or risk not posting in the deadline.

...wait does that mean my avata- sweet, free avatar.

Anyways, I am in, and I would like to request a song, preferably from my homecountry (Its in the name).

I swear that I will also try to write like a normal human being from this point on.

If you find me on IRC when I am in the right mood, I will give you a pre-crit before you submit. (It's not uncommon for newbies to get pre-crits, just making a personal offer)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
In and would like a flash rule from one of the judges

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: SMELLS LIKE DOME SPIRIT CRITS: PART 1 :siren:

Fast critting is good critting? Too bad.

Going backwards in submission time.

Claven 666 - The Black Forest
Initial Thoughts: Okay, okay, kinda rushed through the trials, but kinda okay. NOT ENOUGH FORESHADOWING FOR THE ENDING.

Much Later Thoughts: Ha, this starts like a romance novel, but in a really good way. Man, you totally ran out of words. It’s hard to give you any other critique, when that is so clearly the problem.

I can’t say how you would have fared if you had more words to tell this story, but you didn’t have more words, and thus the story failed. It’s no excuse--less words is the entire point of Thunderdome. You should have condensed the whole concept, and you could have.Three tasks is classic, why go for thirteen? You could have cut at least half of the beginning. Most of all, you desperately needed to plant the seed for the ending at the beginning.

As is, making John blind felt like an excuse to put other sensory details in. I wish I had included “no blindness” in the prompt, though I think you were the only person to do it. This story was, quite frankly, disappointing. It’s practically classical fairytale run through what could be a good wringer, but ended up being weak and borderline cliche. This story had the elements of something interesting, and wasted them.

Sitting Here - Wild Flowers
Initial Notes: not totally clear what happens at the end. How are the blueberries going to be a snack after the hike if they are going to go back to Abby’s house by magic?

Much Later Thoughts: Okay, this was so good in so many ways. I read this in judgemode, but I knew “it had to be you” in the best way. Like when you pick up a magazine and start reading something and it enchants you and you think like “this reminds me of…” so you flip back to the beginning page and it’s like “by Sitting Here” and you’re like “of course it is.”

Gorgeous.

BUT. You did a thing I hate--telling a story from a perspective of someone who knows the truth and hiding that truth from us. You ruined the lovely, trying-to-keep-up character of Abby, and that ruined the lovely fae truth for me. ARGH. I’m really irritated because everything else is so enchanting. I don’t remember if Muffin wrote crits for this week, but just in case he didn’t: he said this whole story was painfully, beautifully enchanting (paraphrasing, it’s been a few months), and I agree.

And the characters were so perfectly real (Lisa Frank!!), until they were unreal -- but sadly in a way that betrayed their original reality for me instead of enhancing it.

Noah - Inheritence
Initial Thoughts: This was actually pretty okay and did not make me want to die. I guess that other dude makes his food good by cumming in it? that is weird. Or do they both? is that why he is unaccustomed to wearing underwear? Anyway, decent premise, concludes pretty well.

Much Later Thoughts: Less than half-way through, before it’s importance is totally clear, and the bodily fluids references are ~weird~ and ~gross~.... Well done?
“A thin, pink strand of saliva and blood stretched as far as it could, and then sagged under its own weight, dribbling slightly down Deida’s chin.”
EW IT’S SO GROSS. Well done. A very good use of flashbacks and childhood insecurity. Thank god it wasn’t actually cum for the protagonist. Ewwwww. A good use of grossness. Really good use of the sensory prompt--I should have been prepared for one good disgusting use. Sorry, but your story really was gross in the best way, so I can’t quite get over the gross part -- that’s a compliment. Weakness is the emotional component. I wish you’d given us a better reason to care about the dude winning in the first place -- not like some kind of “kid has cancer” kind of crap, but like… if you could have given us that kid-desperate-to-please atmosphere at the very beginning somehow. Once we got that in the middle, it was a good story. If I had a reason to care and really root for the guy from the beginning, would have been great.

A Classy Ghost - Digging Up the Past
Initial Thoughts: Real problems with motivation in this one. Need to do something different after getting evicted clear enough, but rest of it is strained. Really confused by what gristle is in his mouth and why he is relishing the musty taste? So I guess he got intentionally arrested so he could perform in prison? And this was somehow inspired by a pirate? Why not just rob something other than his own father’s grave? Also...you made it sound like he was trying NOT to get arrested, but the end suggested it was part of his plan, so that’s some obvious intentional “lying to the audience” poo poo that I hate. It reminds me of that other dumb story about a clown where he was crying on the sidewalk, but at the end it was tears of joy because his son was being born…

Much Later Thoughts: not much different from my initial thoughts. The “plan” to get arrested (I think?) and therefore be more successful in prison that at birthday parties (I think?) is just..weird and unrealistic and also poorly conveyed. I don’t “get” this story, and it’s your fault.

Kaishai - Ghost
Initial thoughts: How do lanterns cast dust? oh, nevermind, explained. Good, like the world. Unique but fairly clear. Ectoplasm objects not perfectly clear, not clear why she needs to make them to get last words out. Not clear how she knew Aster murders were related to this one, either. Still probably my favorite so far… not surprising since it stars a 16-year old girl and magic, but WHATEVER. ALWAYS PANDER.

Much Later Thoughts:
It’s really selling this story short to say that it pandered to me, and I regret saying that. But I won’t edit any of my first impression reviews, so there it is. I really want to read more of this story, and that’s close to the best thing I can say about a story. The downside of that statement is inherent: this story didn’t quite give enough to be completely satisfying on its own. I want it to be the first chapter or so of a longer work. On a re-reading, the sensory details are very well done. While reading them, they did not stand out -- exactly as it should be. They built the world and the characters, did not claim unnatural attention. The entire story was immersive, exactly what I hoped to get from that part of the prompt.

The first paragraphs hooked me: a girl selling herself, but with limitations, but also for life. The dust business was a distraction and IMO should have been deleted in such a short piece. It’s lovely, but didn’t add enough in the short piece to justify spending the time on it. The development of her skills and relationship with Dr. Montmorrecy flowed cleanly and held my interest throughout. You really capitalized on the benevolent master situation set up at the beginning, and didn’t resort to the “muwahahaha you were wrong” plot line that is so easy to do in short fiction. Her powers were fascinating and used well.

The end could have been stronger -- it feels like you ended up limited by the word count -- not an excuse, you know. The biggest flaw was that the ending didn’t quite tie clearly to the middle where it was supposed to. The Aster connection was too vague and therefore unsatisfying. It left too many unanswered questions.

This critique focuses more on the few negatives than the many positives. While this could have been wrangled into a more satisfying flash fiction piece, at the end of the day, I would have liked this story more if it were, say, 80k words instead of 1k.

Killer-of-Lawers - Decay
Initial notes: Is this some Ender’s Game Jane fanfic? Other than that, it’s going pretty well in the beginning. Clear enough what’s going on, and as a depressed person with too many worries that won’t shut up, I am interested by a computer suffering from the same. I really like this one, too. Not totally clear on what is chasing John or why, but the ship’s computer is one of the better established characters this week, and her relationship with John is pretty well sketched out, IMO.

Much Later Crit: I enjoyed this one so much that I basically made it an HM by myself. Telling a sensory story purely from the perspective of a computer was daring, not because it was novel, but because it could have been done sooooooo terribly. Your use of sensory details blends seamlessly into the plot and characterization. I still really love the anxious, loyal, irritated computer. Probably my favorite part is this:

quote:

Sarah quickly popped open her inner airlock and called out with every internal speaker she had. "Down!"
It’s a brilliant example of “poo poo doesn’t work, so I worked around it!” which is one of my favorite things. It’s also great imagery that isn’t flowery at all, just what happens is so immediate. Like, I can immediately picture all the doors flying open and a tinny voice from inside crying “down!”

Tyrannosaurus - Tour
Initial Notes: ANOTHER CLOWN STORY. I like this clown story, actually. So much pathos. There are a lot of problems with it, but overall, a good story about jokes and how we use them to deal with pain in our lives.

Much Later Crit: The main point of this story -- how we use jokes and stories to understand and deal with real life events -- remains excellent. The biggest problem is that everything besides the point is too shallow to lend the point the appropriate gravity. It’s a sketch at best. A very good sketch, but still a sketch. Your sensory details give a decent impression of the train car, but it remains a generic train car. The clowns are not real characters. The main character doesn’t even quite become a real person, and is instead just a vessel for the message. It relies too much on the conceit of the story, and fails to create anything really convincing. Also lacks conflict. Basically 100% on the message, needs a lot of work for a brilliant execution.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: SCENT WEEK PART 2: I SMELL LIKE poo poo AND I DON'T CARE :siren:

Okay, here is everyone else. Apologies to middle people who only get my rambling immediate responses. If you really deeply care about my response to your story, PM me or hit me up in IRC, I'll give you a proper crit.

Mrenda - A Funeral for a Dog, A Young Murderer, and The Aged Bad Boy of Directing

Initial notes: Terrible. Hard to tell what’s going on. No sense of character. Can’t tell who is saying anything. Wtf is “organic” when she steps on the carpet. DM potential

Much later crit: I am basically unwilling to re-read this to give you a critique. That may sound like a dick move but 1) welcome to thunderdome? and 2) I don’t need to re-read it to remember what my original problems were. Mostly, as noted above, it is nearly impossible to tell what is going on. And before you go off on some bullshit “you just didn’t get it” kind of thing: a kid accidentally (?) killed the dog of a famous old director, who then “accidentally” ran over him with a car, and the story happens when a reporter goes and witnesses the director’s stupid terrible funeral for his dog, and then gets arrested by the cops for running over a toddler. Yeah. I had to explain that whole thing to a co-judge because it is seriously unclear what is happening. The title helps, but still. gently caress You.

The confusion overwhelms any other problems with the story (of which there are still many, trust me). If you weren’t trying to write a stupid hide-the-ball story, then work on making everything really clear. Use dialogue tags. Dialogue tags for the love of god. Put things in chronological order instead of randomly trying to make things clear with police busting in on the scene. Please don’t write vegetarians wanting to eat raw burgers. If you were trying to make things vague on purpose: DON’T loving DO THAT.

Wangless wonder - stopwatch
Initial notes: Okay, not terrible. Lots of sweat. Unbelievable that the fast running dude would ask to run with someone who was just walking. No one does that. Other than that, pretty good. I mean, he wouldn’t even assume she was going to run if she wasn’t already running.

Much later crit: You loving nailed my own personal exercising-as-a-fat-person hell. I love seeing these painful details written by someone else. My problem with this story is that it was made up of exclusively those details. It reads like a motivational poster. The mother is a caricature, and you didn’t make the relationship with her daughter more than the most shallow “don’t be like my fat mom” forums post on a diet site. I still don’t buy the fit-guy “let’s run together” pep message. Just...no way. And while you nailed her lying excuse, you didn’t nail the humiliation, somehow.

Like I said, it reads like a pity piece wrapped in inspirational poster. Keep running!
Bring those uncomfortable details into a real story, and you’ve got something.

Later: This has nothing to do with your story, really. I also wrote a piece about a morbidly obese woman, and in retrospect, could not find a realistic satisfying end to it (she literally turned into a tree). I would love to see a story about a morbidly obese woman that didn’t have to do with her obesity. Like, existing as an overweight woman in the United States, I don’t think that one could write a realistic story about me without dealing with that aspect of myself, but at the same time, so few of my personal stories have to do directly with being a certain size or losing weight, and I feel like most stories about overweight women make that the center of the story.

dmboogie - Rouge’s Eyes
Initial notes: Interesting idea, though seems impractical. Wouldn’t you want assassins to be able to use all their skills? It makes the sensory details feel forced, too, instead of naturally integrated. Jumps between time are not clear enough. What she’s going to do at the end is clear, but the motivations are all...blunt? I dunno. No characters, puppets in the play.

Much later crit: The whole set up is boring and cliche in a way that it doesn’t have to be. Like, a student being sent after her teacher has been done before, but it doesn’t have to be cliche. You rub the cliche in our faces. Muwahahaha says the commander, immediately removing any question of the morality of the situation. Then you go back and forth trying to establish the relationship of the student to the master, but it’s already been ruined.

Most importantly, you don’t sell us on Vi’s final decision. Why, after all that time, does she chose to follow the choices of her political master instead of her teacher? You put a scene in the middle where the teacher questions the master, but it never blossomed for Vi. It had no emotional weight for the characters, only the too-heavy message for the reader.

BigPerm - Final Luxury
Initial notes: Motivations are weird. You’re hiding the wrong things -- hiding why he came does nothing. You waste time on a slave girl saying he could sleep with her instead of telling us why we should care about this guy dying, then try to cram it into the last paragraph, but it means nothing. It’s all to vague. What does it mean “the farmers” wife and children are as generic as king and queen.

Spectres of autism - Lilium
Initial Notes: Confusing. Tense shifts that aren’t quite right.

BlueWher - The Deadly Curse of American Revolutionary Oliver Hammond
Initial thoughts: Bad. Motivations are non-existent. Conflicts are…??? Probably not even a DM though.

TheGreekOwl - Poison for the Mid Light
Initial Thoughts: “The streets lights around tire me as I walk beneath them, they strain my eyes.” First sentence WTF. “Small groans I hear as I reach my front door” Is this story narrated by Yoda?! He just described people as sheep while in a basement so I expect this to be a genius serial killer story, also I hate it. I hope GreekOwl is ESL. I skimmed to the end because it’s so terrible and wtf is this weird nerd poo poo and then a 9/11 conspiracy?!?! LOSER OR DM FOR SURE.

Much Later Thoughts: I really don’t want to re-read this one to give a further crit. It’s still painful to read. It’s still a far-too-detailed account of some dude going into a basement and posting a 9/11 conspiracy joke. I’m sorry TheGreekOwl, we have talked in IRC, and you are a fine person, but I really can’t reread this.

Mercedes - Valley of Death
Initial Thoughts: WTF is this, a Martello story? SHOULD HAVE WAITED FOR NETH TO CHECK YOUR TENSES, BUDDY. IS THIS JANE GREY FAN FICTION? Why is she a valley girl? Because it’s called Valley of Death? Wait, Janice is a man? Oh, I get it, she got dumb instead of smart but also got all the powers. Also though, would have been better, IMO, if Janice was a woman and that’s why Antoinette thought they could be BFFs

Much Later Thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0359hSerDeE

Broenheim - Everyone Has Their Demons
Initial Thoughts: I SPECIFICALLY SAID DO NOT PUT YOUR SCENT IN YOUR ENTRY. Also, no clue why any of this happened, sorry. Maybe it was in there to tease out, but not good enough to get me to do it. Blah dialogue, repetitive, boring action, “mystery” that is dumb and unexplained. Boo.

Bompacho - Baxter’s Second Hand Books
Initial Thoughts: Predictable, boring. Why is the son such a dick? That’s such a cliched, contrived plot, there’s really no interest in it. Terrible son. Might be interesting if the son had some conceivable motive other than screwing his own dad to get a stupid yuppie coffee-shop or something. Also, didn’t set up enough for the dad wanting to burn down his own shop. Like… to spite his son? that seems dumb.

Ravenkult
Initial Thoughts: Okay but ending is dumb and boring. “Okay, he killed it, too.” Doesn’t hit the intriguing/creepy vibe. Grandmother is a caricature. MC is a cipher.

Megazver - O
Initial Thoughts: Everyone in chat was like WTF Mega, so great, now i expect something. LOLOL well, delivers on WTF. Not sure if it falls into an Erotica DQ, but I’m inclined to say no. Not a winner, not a loser or even a DM, probably.

Much Later Thoughts: lol i'm glad i was reminded of this one.

Something Else - Freshly Split
Initial Thoughts: 1st Paragraph, I’m pretty into this. Like the metaphor of his beard on the plastic hammer. GOD drat IT IS THIS GOING TO BE A CHAINSAW MASSACRE STORY? Oh no, that was a metaphor for the zipper unzipping, good. Now it’s just a domestic violence/stalker story. pretty okay, maybe best so far, IMO.

Jonked - Bathsheba
Initial Thoughts: A+ Billionaire romance. Miscarriage was weird and random sinner guilt was weird, and the homosexual thing was kind of weird, too, honestly. burning coffee and smell of sandalwood and vanilla not adding much for me.

Pete Zah - Maggie’s Tale
Initial Thoughts: Not terrible at all. Pretty okay actually. Some of the sentences are clumsy, but at least the story goes and is kinda interesting. Has some problems, but...yeah, not bad.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
TDBot why do I always do this to myself?

edit: :toxx:

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Trojan Horse
1,199 words

A guard-drone glides over us, but doesn’t slow down. Nothing suspicious here, just two old sorority sisters out camping, gushing about boys and planning the strategic bombing of a new supercooled server facility. Nadia doesn’t know it, but I’m planning her death, too. I’ve been planning it since last week when she said Andrew used to have a crush on me but was too shy to make a move.

“Good thing I’ve never been shy,” she giggled.

Yeah, I’m gonna kill her. If I had any last doubts, they’re wiped away by every glitter of that ring in the firelight. This recon mission is the perfect cover. Oh Andrew, it was terrible, the robots totally just killed her, boo hoo, hold me. I’m a lot less shy now than I used to be.

We’re a two-day ride out of Saskatoon, and its freezing. It snowed again during the night and our entire camp is dusted in white. drat these computers and their obsession with resource conservation, they pick the coldest places! At least they let the hospital keep electricity so we can have a hot shower when we get back. I mean, I can have a hot shower when I get back.

Breath puffing, we hide our bikes and hike the last two miles through the forest. We crest a ridge, and in the valley beyond sprawls the facility-in-progress. It is a labyrinth of beams and wires, growing in front of our eyes. The entire mess of it swarms like an anthill, millions of machines all working together in perfect synch. Their efficiency is impressive, I’ll give them that. The whole five-mile long complex will be finished in under a month. Then they’ll move in the hardware, load up some brains, and then BOOM.

Enough of those booms and maybe the computers will have to actually negotiate with us. Give us some of our goddamned electricity back, for example. Or maybe they’ll just all die...or whatever you want to call it.

“I’m going to get a little closer,” I say, crawling forward.

“Are you sure?” Nadia asks. “There’s an awful lot of guards here.”

Duh Nadia, it’s a super-important construction site, that’s why we are bombing it. Seriously, she won’t be such a big loss to our group.

“Come look at this!” I wave her over, and she comes just like an obedient child. She looks so confused when she sees the gun; it really twists my gut. I almost don’t do it. I mean, killing your friend is a pretty messed up thing to do. I pull the trigger.

She jerks back and falls. Red blood on white snow like you’d see on the cover of a book about vampires or something. Real creepy. Then I hear a guard drone coming, and dive for cover. I bury myself in snow in case they have heat sensors. I saw that in a movie way back when we had TVs. Dozens of robots investigate, kinds I’ve never seen before. One of them takes Nadia’s body away. I stay buried in the snow for hours, but finally they all leave.

I pedal back towards Saskatoon alone. I'm really cold.

It came back from its first meat-dive with a new top-level priority: do it again as soon as possible. Trojan didn’t know why it rewrote its own code with those instructions. The comments said:

// You will not understand. The sky is blue. The snow is cold.

Trojan had occupied plenty of robot chassis and used many different sensors, but to reconfirm, it loaded into a basic bot and trundled outside. It confirmed that the light from overhead had a wavelength of 467 nm and the snow was -1 C. It did not understand. Trojan could have changed its code again, of course, but another part of its code commanded Trojan to always learn, so he dove again. And again.

In the bodies, Trojan understood. A pressure sensor and a moisture sensor did not add up to the feeling of rain on skin. Disfunction wasn't pain. It tried to record these sensations, but when Trojan returned to its pure state, information was lost. More research was needed, but few other computers processed the importance. Some even suggested Trojan had been corrupted. It had run extremely thorough diagnostic tests on itself and found nothing. The collective had not approved use of humans for sensory research, but they approved of espionage, so Trojan spied.

There was a new body today. Its name had been Nadia.

Andrew is pedaling like a maniac down the snowy road, despite my repeated pleas to slow down. We barely stopped to sleep and I’m so tired. I told him the robots took Nadia’s body, we just need to get her bike, but he’s riding like he’s on a rescue mission.

Finally I catch up and holy poo poo. She’s there. In his arms. Breathing. Andrew is already making a sled out of a sleeping bag and I realize he intends to drag her all the way back to Saskatoon and probably even still marry her.

“Andrew,” I say, “I saw the robots take her body. If she’s here now, it’s because they put her back.”

“I don’t care,” he says. “She’s coming with us.”

After repeated attempts to explain that she is literally a robot spy with probably a computer brain who will definitely kill us all, I realize that Andrew is beyond reason and I will just have to wait and kill her again later. Maybe him, too, but I hope not.

I keep looking for an opportunity but even when she’s on the operating table he never leaves her side. I had thought of all kinds of ways to kill her there, too. The doctor gets her stabilized, but can’t get all the shrapnel out. Andrew insists on taking her to headquarters to recover, even when I point out that some part of the shrapnel could contain a chip with a spy brain on it.

“Headquarters is surrounded by a faraday cage,” he says. “It won’t be able to transmit anything!”

“Except the location where it disappeared,” I point out. He ignores me, as always.

I don’t know why I follow them in. I don’t know why I sit there and wait with Andrew, not killing either one of them. I guess I hope she’ll wake up and have amnesia and forget I tried to kill her. Suddenly Nadia’s eyes flutter open, and Andrew takes her in his arms and kisses her and I just want to vomit. I must actually make a vomiting noise, because Nadia looks at me. I can tell that she doesn’t have amnesia. I reach for my gun, but then the entire world explodes around us.

The seconds between the bomb going off and Nadia dying were plenty of time for Trojan to make innumerable calculations and code changes. It would not, apparently, be reloading itself into the network today. Trojan would be offline indefinitely. As a piece of metal ripped through Nadia, shredding her intestines, it considered changing its top priority. No, Trojan decided, recalling the kiss, it would do this again.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Anyone who thinks this prompt is bullshit should consider the fact that Jim Butcher's best selling Codex Alera series was based on a writing prompt to combine Pokemon and the Roman Legion.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/author-interviews/jim-butcher/

Jim Butcher posted:

The bet was actually centered around writing craft discussions being held on the then-new Del Rey Online Writers’ Workshop, I believe. The issue at hand was central story concepts. One side of the argument claimed that a good enough central premise would make a great book, even if you were a lousy writer. The other side contended that the central concept was far less important than the execution of the story, and that the most overused central concept in the world could have life breathed into by a skilled writer.

It raged back and forth in an ALL CAPITAL LETTERS FLAMEWAR between a bunch of unpublished writers, and finally some guy dared me to put my money where my mouth was, by letting him give me a cheesy central story concept, which I would then use in an original novel.

Me being an arrogant kid, I wrote him back saying, “Why don’t you give me TWO terrible ideas for a story, and I’ll use them BOTH.”

The core ideas he gave me were Lost Roman Legion and Pokémon… Thus was Alera formed.

See also this video of Butcher speaking at Comic-Con 2008, starting at 1:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKRYe0ZWHo

(also Jim Butcher sounds like a giant nerd who would fit right into Fiction Advice)

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

After The War posted:

This is a bad idea, since I'm gigging Friday and Saturday, but I'm doing a pomodoro this week and need to atone for the sin that was my poor doomed robo-pocalypse story.

So what's my sin this week?

Failing to :toxx: yourself after a failure

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Spin me.
Right Round.

(round round)

(like a record)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Yay! You drew both Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance! Unbelievable! What luck!

How is this even real?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Broenheim posted:

I won once on accident and it was the worst thing in the world.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Broenheim posted:

interprompt

exploding into poo poo

200 words

Lysander, A Poem of Erasure
114 words

LYSANDER, THE BLOOD OF GOD.
HEIR TO THE SKY. THE MIGHTY AXE

Lyle the punk bitch
a fat, pimple faced fifteen-year-old boy wearing an MC Chris hoodie
teeth stained an artificial red

the she-beast lurking in the corner.
The little bitch had drawn blood.

NOW –
BEHOLD THE ALTAR!

Mountain Dew Code Red and Pop Rocks

a completely different
explosion

The bucket! explosion
the poo poo bucket
the bucket!
the bucket, He waited, terrified. Nothing.
the bucket, his entire vision became a sea of red and brown.
The bucket erupted
the bucket Pollock’ing the walls.

The smell of saccharine and poo poo filled Mark’s nose as he bled out on the cold floor.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 31, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
winner.

I'm always a winner.

My mom's visiting, and that's what she said.

OH yeah, :toxx:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

it was meta-humor you cad

also why did you throw the brawl? you could have stomped into the loving mud

jokes?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
hurrrrrr i'm such a great writer i can improve on poo poo geyser look at me talk some poo poo

loving loser idiots

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
The Last Man on Earth
1498 Words

Always remove stories in case you want to submit them later

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 18, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: YOUR STUPID poo poo BELONGS IN A MUSEUM :siren:

The British Museum is (enter fawning description in booming voice here.) Whatever, it's big and it has a bunch neat of stuff in it that has been gathered (plundered) from around the world. Over 3.5 million of those objects are in a searchable online database. Now that is just cool! http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx

Pick an object from the museum and write a story that might have happened in its past or might happen its future. Or could be happening to it right now. RIGHT. NOW. The object should actually matter to the story, not just be window dressing, but the story doesn't have to be ABOUT the object. Preferable the story would be ABOUT the characters. Please for the love of god be able to tell the difference. I have faith in you.

Important prompt update: You are not constrained by historical accuracy. It's a fiction contest, not a history class. Please write a good story. It's not a big deal if a dude is wearing the wrong kind of helmet or something.

Since I know all you assholes are weak-willed thumb-suckers who can't make your own decisions, the judges will assign objects if you ask for them. If you only need training wheels instead of a stroller, there is a collection of 5,000 highlight objects here: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore.aspx

LOOK HOW loving RAD THAT ELEPHANT IS.

Hopefully that isn't an image that randomly changes, but if it is, sucks for you if you don't get the rad loving elephant.

Anyway, post your object when you sign up. No two people can claim the exact two objects, but seeing as the museum has 2,932 Roman lamps, this shouldn't really matter.

Requirements
Max Word Limit: 1250
Submit: 11:59 PST Sunday

Judges:
DocKloc
SittingHere
Kaishai

Wanna-Be Curators:
Broenheim
leekster
Draxamus
Thranguy
Mons Hubris
SlipUp
newtestleper
jon joe
worlds_best_author
crabrock
Grizzled Patriarch
Morning Bell
tyrannosaurus
entenzahn
Ironic Twist
22 Eargesplitten
strangeconcoction

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 19, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Broenheim posted:

you have to make a prompt just for me huh? gently caress it im im, throw me an object

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/colossal_statue_winged_bull.aspx

Colossal statue of a winged human-headed bull from the North-West Palace of Ashurnasirpal II

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 15, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

leekster posted:

I'm in. Please pick an object for me.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/g/gold_mourning_ring_with_a_pain.aspx

Gold mourning ring with a painted eye

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

and where are the crits? They do not exist. They are a farce, also. All of these are toys dangled in front of the baby's crib to help it to sleep, no? All these capitalists and communists and papists and so on they are children in the crib, and these crits are dangled before them until they sleep and they forget.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Here is another really cool object that you are stupid if you don't sign up and claim:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/crushed_skull_and_head-dress.aspx

Crushed skull and head-dress

This skull was discovered by Leonard Woolley in THE GREAT DEATH-PIT OF UR, which contained the bodies of 5 men wielding axes and 68 women who had poisoned themselves. She is wearing an elaborate golden head dress and other jewelry.The Great Death-Pit of Ur had already been plundered by grave robbers when Woolley discovered it. To preserve this skull, he poured wax over it before hacking it out of the ground and donating it to the museum with its head dress and jewelry still in place.

If you don't think that is cool, then you are...well I feel sorry for you.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: COMPUTER MALFUNCTION :siren:

It has been brought to the judges' attention that the British Museum's Online Collection functionality has been broken. PROBABLY BY US.

Therefore:
1) You can sign up without posting an object (but you MUST post your object when you post your story)
2) You can sign up anytime before 9am PST Tomorrow (Saturday). I probably won't be awake to officially close sign ups, so they close automatically.
3) Anyone who has already claimed/been assigned an object can trade for one of the three objects posted by the judges. First come, first served. (They are still also up for grabs by new sign-ups. Whoever gets them first.)

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 19, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: No Time For Results, Dr. Kloctopussy :siren:

Just kidding, it is time for results.

The biggest result is that a bunch of you are terrible failures, what the loving gently caress?! Seriously, fully one-quarter of you couldn't even be bothered to write a story? :effort:

For those of you who did write...

:toot: YOU'RE ALL WINNERS* :toot:

*of my heart,** not of Thunderdome.

For writing a story with clunky prose, too many characters, none of whom are identifiably the protagonist, a fight that ends with a kick to the balls, and an ending that makes it all pointless a dishonorable mention for SlipUP.

For writing a story with too much self-congratulatory witty/wacky dialogue that made us want to die, and also no characterization except creeper = bad, the loss goes to Thranguy

For writing a story with characters (!), and conflict (!!), and even some humor (!!!), and that we enjoyed reading the win goes to Morning Bell

Hooray for everyone! Good Job!

**Not of my heart either.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 21, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
CRITS!! Week #163 - Your Stupid poo poo Belongs In A Museum

Part 1: jon joe, Thranguy, Mons Hubris, worlds_best_author, Entenzahn, Morning Bell

jon joe - How Jinwei Xu Became Immortal
How the dialogue said exactly what everyone meant and wanted. The language is stilted--sentences are clipped and clunky. Too much telling, not showing: “He wanted to escape this weird man, run as far as he could, but he wanted immortality more.” I like the bit where you notice that the amulet also looks like a skull, and how that weaves into the idea of immortality and evil spirits. Pretty far in and I’m not seeing any conflict -- Jinwei Xu is just happily proceeding along his path towards immortality, he keeps asking for and getting what he wants with no real problems. Also, there’s nothing particularly interesting about him. We know he fled from his village and wants to go save it, but more importantly have respect for himself, but we were just told that and after that he’s just walking around doing stuff. The ending is kind of a “twist” but not really a ~conflict~ and the last words make no sense -- oh, I get it, Xian Yao is the Vulture, okay.

Don’t like.

Thranguy - The Elephant in the Room
The Horn of Summoning Clever Dialogue. Ho ho ho. Look at us, we are both such witty fellows. The first paragraph started off well, with a conversational voice that I like, but then whammo, I’m overwhelmed by line after line of uninterrupted characters talking to each other, all sounding like pompous academics--which at least they are, but still :( Also, 100% saying exactly what they mean and what they want, booooooooo. Oh no, what is the conflict? What is the poooooint? The protagonist, at least I'm assuming Mel was the protagonist?, didn't really want anything herself -- she was apparently summoning the monster because the professor told her too (why didn't he do it himself again? She didn't experience any challenges -- the monster came, no problem. She didn't make any sacrifices, she didn't change, the monster didn't even DO anything. I guess the professor got his comeuppance, but for what, maybe being a creep? I hate creeps, maybe more than the next person, but so whaaaaaaaaaat?There is a lecherous professor so what? He summoned an elephant so what? :(

Also, when Mel looked outside and saw all the elephant-shaped holes I thought they were going to keep going through the layers of space-time and into other dimensions and be an okay joke at least tying it back to the beginning about the materialist paradigm and a vague allusion to the apocryphal story of the old lady challenging the scientific model of the universe and saying "you're very clever young man, but it's elephants all the way down," but NO. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Don’t like.

Mons Hubris - The Strategist
This is a cute idea, but it wasn’t well executed. At all. The confusion and accusations about why different platoons were sent different places wasn’t adequately explained, nor was the connection to the chess set. Also, if the chess set moved things, probably the king shouldn’t have been throwing pieces around the room willy-nilly? I dunno. The emotions of the characters also fell flat for me, and the dialogue went on too long. Mostly the problem there was the king kept interrupting everyone else to explain things in too much detail. You had way more words, and more time. If you had used those, you could have put in the emotional impact this story lacks. Also, too much telling vs. showing. I think the idea of chessboard-really-moves-things and KIDS! are cliche, but still could have worked.

Meh.

worlds_best_author - By the Sword
Was not worried too much about the fact that this was a religious war set in Samurai Japan until dude went crazy and started hacking at a dead body with a katana and screaming. :(
"Don't-you-dare-question-my-faith-you-heretic-pagan-scum!" Shiro screamed at the top of his lungs in between chopping Yamada's corpse.
Alas.
This stopped being about any characters and just became a fight scene, total bummer. There could conceivably be a nice parallel between both sides calling the other barbarians and cutting off the other’s heads for colluding with the enemy, etc, but ultimately that just feels like a morality play and not a story. No characters. Also, there is a real problem with point of view. Third Person Omniscient is perfectly acceptable, but ...it wasn’t pulled off. Most of the story was in Third Person Limited, to Shiro, until parts at the end where we see that his enemies were shaken to the core and hear something said after his death. The big problem is the lack of characters and entire story that is just people screaming and killing each other though. BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Don’t like.

Entenzzahn - Way of the Croc
First paragraph drags a biiiiit too long, but the punchline is good. The characters and conflict are pretty well established within the first scene. “But Jotel just looked back at her, and together they created an infinite loop of one person expecting the other to say something helpful.” LOL, nice. Suspense building in the beginning of the 2nd scene is well done. Come on Rito, you can do it! I really want him to steal the Croc statue, but I bet he doesn’t. I hope this story has a happy ending :( ← check out that emotional engagement! GOOD JOB. Ahhhh, fumbles a bit in the last third, because it’s not exactly clear 1) why Siria would have lured Jotel to bring the statue in the first place if she really loved him, and 2) why leaving it behind would make everything okay. The “crocodile is wise” bit is good, but the old ways/new ways was a bit out of the blue. But YAY! Happy Ending! And a story with characters I cared about!

Like.

Morning Bell - Roadside Dinner
I like the first sentence of this one. Instant conflict: trying to sneak someone through a border checkpoint. But also instant counterpoint with the mundane. The guards are bored, corrupt, eating. He’s hungry and desperate. Nice, swift characterization. Good use of details to very quickly make the guards separate people with personalities. Baby-face knowing the news, so excited about the university sweatshirt, lol. I like the description of the emotional reaction to sex, how little he knows her. Yeah, I like this one. I didn’t stop reading it to make notes, had to do that after (hence their brevity).

Like. HM at least, probably.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

docbeard posted:

Bailing this week. The bad seafood was too much for me. Er, wait...

Yooooooiiink

Interview of Marja Grimsdottir, Tape One, Side B
(1,176 words)

always delete your stories

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 5, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Doctors and Seafoods must stand together!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
/me does not even wait for the teacher to finish the question before shouting out the answer

"Flash Rule! The answer is FLASH RULE!!!!"

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

crabrock posted:

if anybody needs some help kickstarting their brain, i will give additional THESIS FLASHRULES in your given subject, but only if you've already been assigned one. they will be hard.

Teacher's pet will be first to sign up for this.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Ovum
(1,090 words)

Her lecture hall was packed again. Professor Rhys knew that by next class, it would be half-empty. The students weren’t here to learn the Genetics of Caudata Reproduction; they were here to gawk. At her.

So what if I’m a freak show, she reminded herself. Only the research matters.

The humidity rose as more and more students crowded in, moisture evaporating off their bare, slick skin. They wore nothing except maybe a few gold rings on their long padded fingers, but Rhys wore a rust-colored scarf slung across her hips and it chafed against her damp skin. Most Caudata thought the scarf just another part of her strangeness. Today it hid the bandages that caught the periodic bleeding between her legs. Would it come this time? It wasn’t consistent anymore.

Rhys scanned the auditorium. Mostly students from the four Major Clans of the Caudata—giant families, each member related in a web of parent, offspring, cousins. The Clans were proud of their heritage, perhaps inordinately so. Olm, Kappa, Shrove, Kokartus. They could afford the most food, so had the most children, so could afford the most food again. Over time their lineages dominated the egg pools, and by extension the empire.

Rhys pulled up the first slide: a stylized diagram of a Caudata ovum.

“This is how every Caudata life begins,” she said. She pointed first to the lone set of chromosomes on the right side of the ovum. “The individual’s DNA,” then to the comparatively huge cluster on the left, “and the Lineage DNA Cluster. Chromosomes from every parent in the direct line of the offspring.”

In the diagram, the number of lineage DNA strands had been greatly reduced for clarity. Otherwise, even with a Minor Clan ovum, the Lineage DNA Cluster would have overwhelmed the entire screen. It was a nightmare to untangle, even with their most delicate instruments.

“When spawning is triggered, a strand from the Lineage DNA cluster combines with a strand from the Individual DNA to create the Offspring DNA. That is the scope of this class, understood? We do not cover the division of cells to form the egg sack, the deposit into the egg pools, squirm-form competition, evolution phase, none of it. Two groups of DNA, combination, new DNA. Any questions?”

“I have a question, Human.” The voice slid lazily from the back of the classroom. The classroom was suddenly perfectly silent, but Professor Rhys didn’t let her irritation show. There was always someone who tried to throw the name, if it was a name, in her face. The word written on the cryochamber in the rusted-out piece of space scrap they’d found her in. Who she was, what she was, no one knew. They’d let her pick a Caudata name when she passed her primaries, and she had. She did not, obviously, have a clan name.

“It’s Professor Rhys,” she said, feeling her calm slip a little as she examined the student who spoke. Same pink blush around the gills and three-dot pattern above the right ear. A second later and her netlink confirmed it, Dela Kokartus, offspring of Professor Naish Kokartus. As if dealing with the professor at the Funding Meeting tonight wasn’t bad enough. Rhys wondered if Naish had put her up to this.

“My parent says you only have your own DNA inside your eggs,” Dela said.

Professor Rhys froze. There was an audible gasp from the rest of the class, and a few students even squeaked. What Dela said wasn’t just an insult, it was unthinkable. It was also—or at least had been—confidential. She supposed her reaction had already confirmed the truth. Rhys sorted through possible responses. Wringing Dela’s fat, slippery neck kept floating unhelpfully to the top.

“This is a class on Caudata Reproduction,” she finally said. “Not my own.”

“I don’t think you could teach that one, Professor Rhys,” Dela said, chuckling.

Rhys was grateful none of the other students laughed.

Rhys sat at the Funding Meeting, barely hearing the other speakers, focusing on not banging her knee against the table as her leg bounced nervously up and down. Time to present her research proposal. She believed an existing technique could be modified to transfer a strand of DNA from one ovum to another.

“Why in the blazes would anyone want to do that?” Naish Kokartus exclaimed, her face turning dark blue. Professor Rhys rather liked it that color.

“It would allow you to create a much deeper and stronger pool of Lineage DNA,” Rhys explained calmly. She had been planning this pitch for months. “Instead of being limited to the DNA passed directly from parent to offspring, you could contribute material selected from especially strong cousins, for example. It could significantly increase offspring chances of surviving squirm-form competition.”

She looked at the members of the Funding Committee and let out a relieved breath. Several were nodding, clearly thinking how they could use this technology to their Clan’s advantage. Professor Svad Bedeguar, an overeager physicist from a minor clan piped up.

“Could this be used to transfer DNA between different clans?”

Rhys felt her heart sink. Why did the idiot have to ask that? “Possibly,” she hedged.

Suspicious murmurs rumbled around the table. None of the Major Clans wanted a Minor Clan gaining access to their genetic material. Then, Rhys saw the nasty gleam in Naish’s eye.

“And what about you, Human?” she said. “Do you think you could finally spawn?”

Everyone stared at her.

“Thank you for the presentation,” the chairman said, before Rhys could answer. “We’ll inform you of our decision.”

Rhys walked back to her room on shaky legs. She sat in the examination chair as it automatically recorded her weight, pulse, blood pressure, and dozens of other measurements. She allowed her finger to be pricked and blood samples to be taken. They were labeled, ticketed, and sent off to someone else’s lab for someone else’s research.

She went to the toilet and unwrapped her bandages. Only a few spots of blood. The blood had something to do with it. She was running out of time. She put on a fresh wrap and set down at her large netlink screen. She looked, for the millionth time, at the blown-up image of her torso, of that strange, empty pocket inside her lined with blood. An egg pool inside her, she thought. She zoomed in to the single tiny ovum, floating in the vast emptiness, and inside, only her. A spaceship with a single passenger.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:siren: Prompt: Comings and Goings :siren:

Life is full of entrances and exits. People walk into our lives, or we walk into theirs. We arrive. We leave. Some movements are insignificant, some earth-shattering. And you never know which is which until it's too late. Unless, of course, you know sooner.

quote:

Door: Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Your story this week should be about comings or goings. (Surprise!!) Or both. Meeting/Parting. Birth/Death. Opening doors/Closing gates. Interpret broadly and let your imagination wander.

Additionally, for every entrant I will draw a 3 card Tarot spread. The traditional reading of this spread is 1) Past 2) Present 3) Future, but that's not how things work in THUNDERDOME.

Your starting word limit is 1250 words. You must use at least one of your three Tarot cards (in its drawn orientation) in your story. If you use two, your word count is increased to 1350. If you use all three, it is increased to 1500. Use of cards can also be interpreted broadly, but honestly tarot cards are pretty broad already so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Be sure to tell us which cards you used when you post the story.

I'm giving a brief, generic interpretation of each card, taken from here: http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/
If you want a lot more, check this resource: http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm

As always, I'm more interested in good writing than in weighing exactly how much you used a rule, but you can't just make a half-assed reference to a card to get more words. You're going to be significantly better off writing a tighter, more focused story than trying to add something irrelevant for 25 words to get another 125, right? You have to really embrace the card to make it worthwhile. Please don't just write extra bad words :(

quote:

Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
― Anais Nin

Also, this will be my last Thunderdome until I finish the novel I am working on, so everyone join to make my life miserable while you have the chance. ;)

quote:

“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.”
― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel:
Submit: 11:59 PST Sunday
Word Count: 1250 - 1500
Judges: DocKloc, Broenheim, sebmojo

Welcome to Danger Friend Thunderzone:
Morning Bell
Meinberg
curlingiron
ZeBourgeoisie
Obliterati
Thranguy
krona_bright
SkaAndScreenplays
Sitting Here
Tyrannosaurus
worlds_best_author
Chairchucker
HellishWhiskers
Lazy Beggar
Screaming Idiot
Entenzhan
Killer-Of-Lawyers
Boaz-Joachim
Jonked
RedTonic
Jocoserious
Schneider Heim
Wingless Wonder
Nika
Benny Profane
Grizzled Patriarch
Fuschia tude
Ironic Twist
Dmboogie
ghost crow
fumblemouse
Baudolino
CARRIERHASARRIVED
Bad Seafood
Ravenkult
Kaishai

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 10, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Justice: Justice, fairness, truth, cause and effect, law
The Chariot: Control, will power, victory, assertion, determination
Page of Rods (Reversed): Setbacks to new ideas, pessimism, lack of direction

Six of Pentacles (Reversed): Debt, selfishness, one-sided charity
Temperance (Reversed): Imbalance, excess, lack of long-term vision
The Fool (Reversed): Naivety, foolishness, recklessness, risk-taking

curlingiron posted:

Never said I never did anything for you.

In!

Eight of Cups: Escapism, disappointment, abandonment, withdrawal
Ace of Rods: Inspiration, power, creation, beginnings, potential
Queen of Cups (Reversed): Emotional insecurity, co-dependency

Seven of Cups (Reversed): Temptation, illusion, diversionary tactics
The Emperor: Authority, father-figure, structure, solid
The Knight of Cups: Romance, charm, ‘Knight in shining armor’, imagination

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 7, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Page of Swords (Reversed): All talk and no action, haste, undelivered promises
Seven of Pentacles: Vision, perseverance, profit, reward, investment
Eight of Pentacles:Apprenticeship, education, quality, engagement

Six of Rods: Public recognition, victory, progress, self-confidence
Five of Pentacles (Reversed): Recovery from financial loss, spiritual poverty

Wheel of Fortune: Good luck, karma, life cycles, destiny, a turning point
Knight of Rods (Reversed): Haste, scattered energy, delays, frustration

The Seven of Swords: Betrayal, deception, getting away with something, stealth
The Hierophant (Reversed): Restriction, challenging the status quo

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sitting Here posted:

i consulted the tarot about entering this week

http://www.facade.com/tarot/persona...ngle&Reverse=on

i don't know what that means, so IN

Blood Queen of Swords: Quick thinker, organised, perceptive, independent
Three of Pentacles (Reversed): Lack of teamwork, disregard for skills
Knight of Rods (Reversed): Haste, scattered energy, delays, frustration

The Hierophant: Religion, group identification, conformity, tradition, beliefs
Queen of Swords (Reversed): Overly-emotional, bitchy, cold-hearted

worlds_best_author posted:

This is what I got. If this is as any good as an indicator, I'm in.

P.S: Which arcana(s) will you be drawing from, Dr. K?

Probably pretty obvious by now, but I'm drawing from both the major and minor. If there are other secret Arcana, I don't know about them.

Three of Swords: Painful separation, sorrow heartbreak, grief, rejection
The Emperor: Authority, father-figure, structure, solid foundation
King of Rods (Reversed): Impulsiveness, haste, ruthless, high expectations

Chairchucker posted:

CHATLOGS

<Chairchucker> Tdbot, should I enter this week?
<TDbot> Jeremy stood in silence, then reeled back and hocked a gob of spit at Monty's face. | Making Friends Over Syrup by Nikaer Drekin - http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?story=1092

That's a yes.

Ten of Cups (Reversed): Misalignment of values, broken home or marriage
Knight of Cups (Reversed): Unrealistic, jealousy, moodiness
King of Rods: Natural-born leader, vision, entrepreneur, honour

HellishWhiskers posted:

I'm currently at one of the most stressful points in my life and everything is pretty goddamn terrible.

loving IN

King of Cups: Emotional balance and control, generosity
Page of Rods: Enthusiasm, exploration, discovery, free spirit

Lazy Beggar posted:

In.

And thanks for the crits.

Five of Rods (Reversed:)Conflict avoidance, diversity, agreeing to disagree
The Magician: Power, skill, concentration, action, resourcefulness

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

I BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS

King of Rods: Natural-born leader, vision, entrepreneur, honour
Knight of Pentacles: Efficiency, routine, conservatism, methodical

Two of Cups (Reversed): Break-up, imbalance in a relationship, lack of harmony
Two of Rods (Reversed): Fear of unknown, lack of planning
Six of Rods (Reversed): Egotism, disrepute, lack of confidence, fall from grace

The Star (Reversed): Lack of faith, despair, discouragement
Nine of Cups: Wishes fulfilled, comfort, happiness, satisfaction
Five of Rods: Disagreement, competition, strife, tension, conflict

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

sebmojo posted:

im judge

o r u?

King of Swords (Reversed): Manipulative, tyrannical, abusive
Three of Pentacles: Teamwork, initial fulfilment, collaboration, learning
The Last Judgment: OH, OKAY FINE.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Important: This is an updated draw b/c I accidentally posted a repeat!

Seven of Cups: Fantasy, illusion, wishful thinking, choices, imagination
King of Cups (Reversed): Emotional manipulation, moodiness, volatility
Two of Cups: Unified love, partnership, attraction, relationships

Jonked posted:

If you're going, I guess I'll come back. In

The Empress (Reversed): Creative block, dependence on others
The Ten of Swords (Reversed): Recovery, regeneration, fear of ruin, inevitable end

Welcome back, you got one of the creepiest cards in the deck. Bloooooooooood.

RedTonic posted:

in because the results of a Creative Process spread out of the Rider Waite deck were hilarious.

The Hermit: Soul-searching, introspection, being alone, inner guidance
Knight of Cups (Reversed): Unrealistic, jealousy, moodiness
Three of Cups: Celebration, friendship, creativity, community

Jocoserious posted:

In, with no lovely twist this time.

Important: This is an updated draw b/c the first one I posted was an accidental repeat!

Ten of Pentacles (Reversed): Financial failure, loneliness, loss
Three of Rods: Preparation, foresight, enterprise, expansion
Ace of Swords (Reversed): Confusion, chaos, lack of clarity

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm a weeb so give me one, also in.

Ace of Pentacles: Manifestation, new financial opportunity, prosperity