Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sober posted:

It's supposed to be closer to Everybody Hates Chris I think. Eddie Huang is doing VO's while someone else plays a kid version of him and his family in the 90s.

Oh that sounds a lot better. I didn't even realize it was based on Eddie Huang's actual life, I thought that was a coincidence, haha. My initial worry was that it looked like that American Dad episode where Francine had that "White Rice" sitcom. The advertising makes it look like an "Asians are so different!! Haha look at their food, it's so weird!!" kinda show. Reading about the concept and a couple interviews gives me hope that this won't suck.

This article (by Eddie, actually) expresses my main concerns but at the same time it's a sitcom on ABC so I know I shouldn't expect a documentary. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/fresh-boat-author-explains-controversial-comment-article-1.2078094

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

old dog child posted:

Oh that sounds a lot better. I didn't even realize it was based on Eddie Huang's actual life, I thought that was a coincidence, haha. My initial worry was that it looked like that American Dad episode where Francine had that "White Rice" sitcom. The advertising makes it look like an "Asians are so different!! Haha look at their food, it's so weird!!" kinda show. Reading about the concept and a couple interviews gives me hope that this won't suck.

This article (by Eddie, actually) expresses my main concerns but at the same time it's a sitcom on ABC so I know I shouldn't expect a documentary. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/fresh-boat-author-explains-controversial-comment-article-1.2078094
Nahnatchka Khan is writing for it, and I'm glad because I know she doesn't pull any punches (American Dad, Apt 23), but there is some truth in what Eddie wanted for the show, but at the same time, it's the second Asian-American sitcom on network TV ever, so you can't just go full-barrel "hey lemme tell you about the time I saw non-Asian titties" without really getting people comfortable having a full east Asian cast on screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a lot of material out of his memoir but it would take some canoodling to get it for network TV. Plus he seems to have a renewed and vested interest (hopefully) as the series continues, so hopefully his voice (not VO) comes through. I mean, if the pilot has a scene where another minority kid calls a Chinese kid a chink I think it's probably gonna go places.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the first?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Margaret Cho had a lovely sitcom in the 90s.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hcreight posted:

In "Holy poo poo!" news, Fox is in talks with Chris Carter to bring back The X-Files. With Mulder and Scully.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

What could a Carter-run "new" X-Files do that the original X-Files run or Fringe didn't do better? Don't get me wrong, I will never fully turn my back on network sci-fi programing, but still, I can't really see the point.

Now if Fox decided to air the HD remastered version of the original during primetime... I'd be down for that. Or put them on Netflix at least. That'd be pretty baller.

hcreight posted:

New Twin Peaks. Possible new X-Files. Let's just bring back the 90s.

This but unironically. Seriously, Jerry and Larry, where the gently caress are my new Seinfeld episodes?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

hcreight posted:

In "Holy poo poo!" news, Fox is in talks with Chris Carter to bring back The X-Files. With Mulder and Scully.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

New Twin Peaks. Possible new X-Files. Let's just bring back the 90s.
Can't wait to find out that the shadow government did 9/11 to kill alien infiltrators inside the WTC

Also that they guy who snuck into the white house was just trying to hand Obama a flash drive with FIGHT THE FUTURE written on it

feedmyleg posted:

Guys, the Netflix detailed content warnings are hilarious.

"Social Behavior
We are told Mario and Luigi are the "good guys," but their methods of conquering the "bad guys" (namely, force and trickery) are no different from the methods the villains use. The show also trades in Italian stereotypes, with nonstop references to spaghetti, pepperoni, and the like."
How does that only get a 4 rating for consumerism?

Bown posted:

Holy gently caress, Woody Allen is doing an original series for Amazon.

Toxxupation posted:

Reminder that Woody Allen raped his then-seven-year-old stepdaughter, then felt like it was a swell idea to attack her via an editorial
Maybe someone needs to ask Amazon how many rapes must a rapist commit before they cancel a show with them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Is this the version on Netflix? I've been meaning to rewatch it with Kumail's podcast, but I had no idea that they had an HD version available.

Sadly not, the only airing it's had so far to my knowledge is on Germany's 7MAXX (A sub channel of Pro Sieben, I believe). This print is then muxed with the English audio off the DVDs to make it suitable for those of us who can't understand it in a German dub. The on screen text is sadly in German still, but hey.

Enjoy some screenshots though : http://imgur.com/a/QCwN8

Given how old the DVDs are, and that Netflix etc probably use the same prints... they're probably looking pretty ropey now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

:holymoley:

Let's get that poo poo in the states, stat.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EL BROMANCE posted:

What the heck? I don't remember aliens being in X-files? Is this some german addition?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

How does that only get a 4 rating for consumerism?

If a literal half hour toy commercial only rates 4, I have to assume that the only things that score 5 are infomercials.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Drugs/Tobacco/Alcohol: Not applicable."

I don't know about that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Random Stranger posted:

If a literal half hour toy commercial only rates 4, I have to assume that the only things that score 5 are infomercials.

The Super Mario Super Show was nowhere near the level of "toy cartoon" that say, the Pokemon cartoon is. I have no idea what it's like now because holy poo poo that cartoon has been on for like 18 years now, but I remember back when it started it was basically an animated walkthrough for Red/Blue and they would just straight up spout out Pokemon stats at times.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

raditts posted:

when it started it was basically an animated walkthrough for Red/Blue and they would just straight up spout out Pokemon stats at times.

It's more like that now than it's ever been before.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly not, the only airing it's had so far to my knowledge is on Germany's 7MAXX (A sub channel of Pro Sieben, I believe). This print is then muxed with the English audio off the DVDs to make it suitable for those of us who can't understand it in a German dub. The on screen text is sadly in German still, but hey.

Given how old the DVDs are, and that Netflix etc probably use the same prints... they're probably looking pretty ropey now.

How come none of the screenshots show the establishing shots or the CGI so we can see how good/bad they are?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably done on purpose. The effects were done in 4x3 so have been cropped and up scaled from memory. Pretty sure I read it's no major deal because there aren't *that* many, in comparison to something like Star Trek that had the same problem.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't know why the gently caress people would get excited about The X-Files coming back, particularly with Carter in charge. It's as if no one saw the latter seasons of the show or the last movie. The heavier into the mythology that Carter got the worse the show became.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know why the gently caress people would get excited about The X-Files coming back, particularly with Carter in charge. It's as if no one saw the latter seasons of the show or the last movie. The heavier into the mythology that Carter got the worse the show became.

Isn't it public knowledge by now that Carter admitted flat out that he made things up on the fly and there was no overarching plot? All the speculation and mystery was for nothing because there was no long term plan, no meta-plot, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PriorMarcus posted:

How come none of the screenshots show the establishing shots or the CGI so we can see how good/bad they are?

Establishing shots and CGI are going to be upscaled. No two ways around that. They didn't do a full on rebuild of the series like they did with TNG.

Still though, MOST of the effect work in X Files was done in camera so those instances should be few and far between.

They just need to decide one way or another if they are bringing the X-Files back because that's the big holdup for the Blu-Ray release. They don't want to release discs now and not have some sort of synergy with a relaunch of the series later. So they are holding back.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

pentyne posted:

Isn't it public knowledge by now that Carter admitted flat out that he made things up on the fly and there was no overarching plot? All the speculation and mystery was for nothing because there was no long term plan, no meta-plot, etc.

I'd always heard mixed things. I'd heard there was a plan but with Anderson getting pregnant it forced their hand. Other times I'd heard that Carter basically had stuff planned up until the movie, but after that he floundered and they basically just made poo poo up. I just can't really get that excited about seeing The X-Files again, outside of seeing Duchovny and Anderson working together. That last movie was dreadful and the show hit the world in a very particular time and place, a time that's basically gone now.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DoctorWhat posted:

It's more like that now than it's ever been before.

Would you listen to a pokemon radio drama?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually curious.

DrVenkman posted:

I'd always heard mixed things. I'd heard there was a plan but with Anderson getting pregnant it forced their hand. Other times I'd heard that Carter basically had stuff planned up until the movie, but after that he floundered and they basically just made poo poo up. I just can't really get that excited about seeing The X-Files again, outside of seeing Duchovny and Anderson working together. That last movie was dreadful and the show hit the world in a very particular time and place, a time that's basically gone now.

I really want to watch the episode of X-Files where it turns out Mulder was Satoshi all along.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

The best thing to ever happen to the show was Anderson getting pregnant. The abduction arc really kicked off the show

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

Variety claims that most of Top Gear will be disappearing, with only seasons 17-20 remaining on Netflix.

I'm kind of bummed that Spooks/MI-5 is going away.

Well poo poo, MI5 has been in my queue for awhile, guess I need to get on that this week.

Also seriously unhappy to see Top Gear's catalog get dropped. If anything I'd want them to add the various other country versions (even US is alright after they found their own voice).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing to ever happen to the show was Anderson getting pregnant. The abduction arc really kicked off the show

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her and 2) The X-Files metaplot was dumb and dragged down the series.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Never actually watched the X-files, thought it was about ghosts actually. Season 9 appears to have come out when I was 10, it's understandable why I never watched it. Might catch the reboot though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her

Like a fine wine

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ravane posted:

Never actually watched the X-files, thought it was about ghosts actually. Season 9 appears to have come out when I was 10, it's understandable why I never watched it. Might catch the reboot though.
You're killing me here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Leading up to the new series, Fox should just start showing X-Files again in a primetime slot, never acknowledging that it's not a new show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her and 2) The X-Files metaplot was dumb and dragged down the series.

I don't really agree with the first, but I thought everyone agreed universally with the second.
I'm not really excited about this or Twin Peaks coming back, it seems like trying too hard to recapture lightning in a bottle and I feel like they were both products of their time. There's no shortage of supernatural monster-of-the-week shows these days, what would be the point?

Ravane posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

ufarn posted:

You're killing me here.

Big fan of Kyle Xy if that makes you feel better. I may have seen a scene or two of X-files, the intro music is certainly recognizable. I remember someone mentioning that Kumail Nanjiani does a commentary on each of the episodes of X-files, so I may check that out sometime later this year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I don't really agree with the first, but I thought everyone agreed universally with the second.

Was The X-Files the start of the "every genre show must have a big, mysterious, twisty-turny mythology arc" or is the credit/blame more justly assignable to Lost?

I mean, of course The X-Files did it first, but is it the one everyone tries to emulate?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Later seasons aside, I felt the X-Files was a fairly procedural show with an arch to keep it from being grinding to a halt; Lost was more focused with its core narrative, and the standalone episodes felt more like filler than something else.

A better example is JJA's Alias's semi-supernatural Rambaldi arc that drove the show as the main, where double- triple-crossing was a sub-arc to that.

That's why X-Files is so great; the episodes can be watched outside of continuity like a Twilight Zone or Black Mirror episode can - with exceptions of course.

Mulder's sister was not exactly a plot arc, and all the conspiracies felt more like worldbuilding than a plotline in itself.

I just finished Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and it's funny how X-Files it is in the first half of season one; it has this great world with some standalone episodes that are dead ringers for X-Files each with their own philosophical themes.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 18, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Metal Loaf posted:

Was The X-Files the start of the "every genre show must have a big, mysterious, twisty-turny mythology arc" or is the credit/blame more justly assignable to Lost?

I mean, of course The X-Files did it first, but is it the one everyone tries to emulate?

X-Files kept it to season finales and premiers mostly, but it's the first thing I remember really doing the overarching plot arc thing (until it got lovely). The bulk of it was MotW stuff, like Fringe, for people who are literal babies like Ravane. Stop making me feel old you fucker. Lost was a different animal, in that it was aware that it had a greater narrative in mind, until it actually turned out it didn't.

X-Files is worth revisiting (or visiting) for some of its really outstanding episodes, but as a whole I can't say it's worth a full watch. Fortunately there are plenty of lists of what's great, though tbh the mythology episodes don't rank among them in 2015 in my opinion.

e: that is to say that the X-Files' standout moments are in one-off MotW episodes like Home or Darkness Falls rather than Lost's focus on each season having a story to tell.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 18, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

Definitely Lost. Despite X-Files leaning more on its lovely mythology toward the end, it still maintained its strength in its self-contained episodes. And I don't remember any shows that tried to piggyback off X-Files narrative structure, whereas when Lost hit it big you couldn't change the channel without running into another terrible serialized me-too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet wasn't as big during X-Files either so you didn't have jagoffs trying to "call it" for every mystery.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even on alt.nerd.obsessive ?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Definitely Lost. Despite X-Files leaning more on its lovely mythology toward the end, it still maintained its strength in its self-contained episodes. And I don't remember any shows that tried to piggyback off X-Files narrative structure, whereas when Lost hit it big you couldn't change the channel without running into another terrible serialized me-too.

I don't know, when I watched it the whole way through last year, I thought seasons eight and nine weren't quite as strong even on the MOTW front. I think a lot of the series' success rests on the shoulders of Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny (which isn't meant as a slight on Robert Patrick by any means).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

X-Files kept it to season finales and premiers mostly

Not at all the case. I's say about 1/2 to 1/3 of any given season was mythology. Usually the seasons started out mythology-heavy, had a few monster-of-the-week episodes, had a string of mythology episodes, a long run of MotW episodes, then the back end of the season were tradeoffs.

e: but yeah, X-Files created it, but LOST defined and refined it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The goony love for Enjer Govkai will never cease to amaze me. Granted, he is an amazing actor next to Eliza Dukushku, but, let's be honest here, that's not exactly a huge accomplishment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

The goony love for Enjer Govkai will never cease to amaze me. Granted, he is an amazing actor next to Eliza Dukushku, but, let's be honest here, that's not exactly a huge accomplishment.

What was this Irish Joe nonsense even prompted by? Did you have a stroke, Joe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

Well to be fair his goodwill from Dollhouse is kinda fading off for me because he just finds himself doing pretty mediocre roles and guest spots since then.

• Locked thread