Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

eagleheart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Whoever said that television comedy ages terribly was absolutely on point. I attempted to watch Friends seriously, from the beginning, after constantly hearing praise about it being better than HIMYM. I tried to finish the first season, but I just couldn't get into it, leaving it after just a few episodes. I enjoyed most of HIMYM and I watched it live; I tried a rewatch and the jokes were still decent, but I couldn't do it again.. Never made it through 30 Rock season 1 when I watched it in 2013. Not sure why these shows suffered so much, it could have been because the main characters, Ross and Ted just complained so goddamn much. Thinking back, I don't know how I suffered through 9 seasons of Ted complaining, sure as hell not going to listen to Ross complain for 10 seasons. I could be wrong about 30 Rock, but I just didn't think it was good. Big Bang Theory has four characters that spend every season complaining about something. Pretty sure they all have girlfriends and they're still complaining about poo poo.

Fresh Prince cried once about his dad abandoning him, and spent the rest of his air time making jokes. The Nanny's only character who complained was the rich lady, and she constantly had terrible things happen to her, and the butler just spent X seasons making fun of her. It was amazing.

I'm not a fan of Full House because it's too 90's, but even they dealt with their problems, they didn't just complain about them. Family Matters main character complained constantly, but at least he dealt with his problem by killing Urkel in the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5EU7MVBmQ.

I guess I just really dislike shows with terrible, annoying main characters.

Despite not being very funny, at least Parks and Rec doesn't suffer from annoying main characters syndrome. Same with Modern Family.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

Battlestar & LOST :smug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sophia posted:

30 Rock, for sure. I mean, it had a few rocky seasons, but there's so much to love about it, and the last season was amazing, with the last scene in particular paying off a long running joke in a sublimely surreal way.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sophia posted:

Cheers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ravane posted:

Whoever said that television comedy ages terribly was absolutely on point. I attempted to watch Friends seriously, from the beginning, after constantly hearing praise about it being better than HIMYM. I tried to finish the first season, but I just couldn't get into it, leaving it after just a few episodes. I enjoyed most of HIMYM and I watched it live; I tried a rewatch and the jokes were still decent, but I couldn't do it again.. Never made it through 30 Rock season 1 when I watched it in 2013. Not sure why these shows suffered so much, it could have been because the main characters, Ross and Ted just complained so goddamn much. Thinking back, I don't know how I suffered through 9 seasons of Ted complaining, sure as hell not going to listen to Ross complain for 10 seasons.

Friends didn't hit the ground running but it improved a lot after its first season. That being said, Ted-as-Creeper is basically Ross amped up to 11, so if you were able to enjoy HIMYM I think there's room for you to enjoy Friends.

But anyone who says TV comedy ages badly is smoking crack; Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasiers, Wings and NewsRadio all hold up. So does most of Murphy Brown.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sophia posted:

I liked how the US version of Being Human ended.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sophia posted:

I sincerely loved Lost. I watched it a few months back and I thought the show was brilliant, and though there were a few moments that seemed a bit over the top, the ending was absolutely perfect. I can't imagine it ending any other way, it was truly beautiful.

I liked Almost Human, the ending was very organic. They didn't know whether they were being cancelled or not, but they knew that regardless of whether the show continued, the friendship between Dorian and Kennex would blossom. At the end, the show resembled a longer version of Judge Dredd, where the season was just a small peek into their complex lives. So I'm glad it ended the way it did, with just regular banter between Kennex and Dorian. There wasn't any major revelation, the resolution wasn't magnanimous, it was just two guys talking before they drove home, it was normal life. How many endings do we see that are that simple? A complex ending, an ending that ties everything together isn't always ideal. For that, Almost Human deserves accolades for just portraying normal life.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sophia posted:

Breaking Bad.

HIMYM really did poo poo it all up in the last episode. That season was really enjoyable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sophia posted:

Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, Friends, Avatar, Being Human (both), Gilmore Girls, The OC, The Wire, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and many more.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sophia posted:

Breaking bad, fnl, and SFU come immediately to mind

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sophia posted:

Angel, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development (the original Season 3 finale), The Wire

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

PriorMarcus posted:

Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, Friends, Avatar, Being Human (both), Gilmore Girls, The OC, The Wire, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and many more.

It should be noted that even shows like Party Down - without a proper ending - is still better than the endings to Mother and Dexter - arguably on the same level in terms of of how it ended.

Most first episodes make a promise to the viewer and say, "This is what the show is about, this is what's going to happen, and hopefully the main characters will find peace with their problems" Every show does this - but I only go to Dexter and How I Met Your Mother as breaking it's promise to the viewer.

Dexter: Promised that the show was about a blood spatter expert who moonlit as a serial killer (killing 'bad guys') and eventually everyone would find out about his terrible secret. No, it doesn't. Dexter zero repercussions for his actions, the police never found out about him, his sister died protecting his secret, and he got away scott free. As a viewer that's incredibly unsatisfying.

HIMYM: Promised that the show was about Ted recalling how he met the mother of his children - and despite starting as his initial love interest - "Aunt Robin" "Yeah, Mom's been dead for a while - it's ok if you gently caress Aunt Robin" :fuckoff:

Even if you hate the endings to Lost - at least show provided a sense of closure for it's characters and the audience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breaking Bad was wrapped up too neatly. I was hoping for a cold punch to the gut like The Shield.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The Spartacus ending was :black101: as gently caress and almost made me cry with the final scene.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First Futurama finale was amazing, second one was pretty decent too.

The Office ended really well given how much it had gone downhill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blackadder Goes Forth; it had the only ending it could have.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

it's like swimming in runny, cold poo poo in search for some dollar bills.

Sober posted:

it was like finding something shiny in a pile of crap.

Is fun-with-feces the new cool around here?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

Both good Stargates, Breaking Bad, Avatar TLA, Seinfeld (not as much at the time), Colbert Report, Space Above and Beyond, Futurama pre-revival, Terriers, The Shield, The Wire.

HIMYM is kind of worse than LOST in a way, in that they knew they had a real turd on their hands.

e: forgot Jericho thanks dude below me

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2015

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Good endings: Jericho, Breaking Bad, St Elsewhere, Boy Meets World, Lost, Oz, West Wing

Nothing will ever compare to how angry I felt at the end Dexter and how I met your mother

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Breaking Bad was wrapped up too neatly. I was hoping for a cold punch to the gut like The Shield.

I liked the neatness of the ending. It never felt like a show that should end with that cold punch to the gut.

Also, I'd like to add Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Jericho, Six Feet Under, The Office (both) and Misfits to my list.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Most first episodes make a promise to the viewer and say, "This is what the show is about, this is what's going to happen, and hopefully the main characters will find peace with their problems" Every show does this - but I only go to Dexter and How I Met Your Mother as breaking it's promise to the viewer.

This was all well said and I agree with it, even if the goofiness of Lost ending didn't appeal to me.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PriorMarcus posted:

This was all well said and I agree with it, even if the goofiness of Lost ending didn't appeal to me.

Just because you're too stupid to understand the lost ending doesn't make it goofy, is what I would say.

But I'm turning over a new leaf this year. I love you PriorMarcus.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ravane posted:

Just because you're too stupid to understand the lost ending doesn't make it goofy, is what I would say.

But I'm turning over a new leaf this year. I love you PriorMarcus.

The goofiness I'm talking about is poo poo like the volcano punch. I was fine with the actual events of the finale, including everyone being rewarded in the flash-sideways verse.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, I'd like to add Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Jericho, Six Feet Under, The Office (both) and Misfits to my list.

What are you counting as the SG-1 finale? "Unending", Ark of Truth or Continuum?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

What are you counting as the SG-1 finale? "Unending", Ark of Truth or Continuum?

Unending. Sure, the way the Asgard were written out was pretty doofy and rushed, but humanity becoming the Fifth Race and the episode being confined to just the main characters was nice, as was the final scene.

It probably helped that I wasn't too invested in the Ori so was left pretty satisfied despite the lack of resolution.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

The Spartacus ending was :black101: as gently caress and almost made me cry with the final scene.

"That is not my name" is a pretty boss ending. Also the ending ending with the credits, ending it on Andy. :cry:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Boy Meets World was the answer we were looking for, thanks Pillowpants! But it's nice that there was a brief moment of positivity . :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

During Galavant ABC's commercials for the upcoming week have been all in song.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

muscles like this? posted:

During Galavant ABC's commercials for the upcoming week have been all in song.

Yeah, the show was alright, but those commercials were loving godawful.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The opening to Brooklyn 99 prompted more laughter than the whole hour of Galahant I watched tonight.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Sophia posted:

Boy Meets World was the answer we were looking for, thanks Pillowpants! But it's nice that there was a brief moment of positivity . :)

Next time, I will say something like Hannah Montana or Girl Meets World :(

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My wife is watching Celeberity Apprentice and I cannot state enough how consistently I am disappointed in this show. It's such a great premise and I genuinely loved the 1st season of the non-celebrity apprentice, but once you throw "celebrities" into the mix, all the challenges throw business acumen out the window and it becomes about who can beg their celebrity friends for the most money.

The other problem is that at some point after the first season, NBC figured out they could make dump trucks of money by having half the challenges be about promoting some company. Which is why they are so many "create an advertising campaign for -".

I hear the British Apprentice is pretty good...

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Boy, BBC's The Fall really jumped the shark season 2 ep 3 didn't it? If it's even possible for a mediocre show to have a shark in the first place..

The director/writers of season two really are God-awful. No actions are believable; motivations are nonexistent. Uninteresting plot lines continue to get play. Blech.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh poo poo, the guy Dustin Diamond stabbed died and now he's getting charged with 2nd degree murder. Is this how Screech's tale ends?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh poo poo, the guy Dustin Diamond stabbed died and now he's getting charged with 2nd degree murder. Is this how Screech's tale ends?

I think you got tricked by someone.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Put simply, no.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

"That is not my name" is a pretty boss ending. Also the ending ending with the credits, ending it on Andy. :cry:

It's one of my favorite finales ever. Every time I see it I get chills watching Spartacus crest that hill.

One of my favorite things about Spartacus is the major beats of the story are pretty accurate to recorded events. History is cool guys. Basically just give me my show about Viriatus please. Please. Or Quintus Serotorious.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Nastier Nate posted:

The other problem is that at some point after the first season, NBC figured out they could make dump trucks of money by having half the challenges be about promoting some company. Which is why they are so many "create an advertising campaign for -".

Just like Mad Men :v:

I don't really watch a lot of reality TV but that clip of the episode of Survivor that was one giant ad for an Adam Sandler movie is one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTsTSxb5O8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sophia posted:

Farscape (if you count the Peacekeeper Wars as its end), MASH, the original Avengers.

• Locked thread