Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who would win: Ganiccus or Pullo+Verenus?

Gannicus, that's not even a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who would win: Ganiccus or Pullo+Verenus?

I don't know who Ganiccus is but Pullo and Vorenus are unstoppable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pretty much anyone versus Gannicus is an unfair fight, unless it's Gannicus versus crucifix.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

What's wrong with you? Watch Spartacus. Now that its on Netflix, there is literally no excuse not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7KMyFIqG0

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gannicus would win with one hand tied behind his back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

IRQ posted:

He's the god of the "Gods of the Arena" season of Spartacus. He makes Pullo and Vorenus look like a joke. He kills 12 guys like them on his way to kill someone really scary. He's a better fighter than Spartacus, and that guy has his name on the show. He's the person that older gladiators use to poo poo talk Spartacus for not being a 'real' champion. Also his cock rages on :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's also handsome as hell.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also watch Spartacus, what are you even doing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Aphrodite posted:

Gannicus would win with one hand tied behind his back.

and blindfolded!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What the hell, did somebody in this television forum just ask who is Gannicus?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know right? He's right up there with the classic TV characters. Homer Simpson, Archie Bunker, Walter White, and Gannicus.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

There is an option for shows to appeal the category on a case by case basis. So an hour long show like Jane the Virgin can argue that it is primarily a comedy series.

The only shows that would be affected are dramedies like Orange is the New Black.

A lot of people accused OitNB of being submitted as a comedy because the producers thought it had a better chance of winning in the weaker comedy field. After all, dramas usually trump comedies at awards shows, that's the reason for splitting up dramas and comedies. So this way Orange is the New Black is back to competing against shows like House of Cards and Mad Men, instead of comedies like Mike and Molly and The Big Bang Theory.

At least in that aspect this works for me. I see Orange as a drama, with a comedic sensibility. The opposite of how I view Louie, actually.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bown posted:

I know right? He's right up there with the classic TV characters. Homer Simpson, Archie Bunker, Walter White, and Gannicus.

If you haven't seen Spartacus you're watching TV wrong, i'm afraid.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

What the hell, did somebody in this television forum just ask who is Gannicus?

Yeah he's that guy from that season I stopped watching Spartacus

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not watching Spartacus should be probatable

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

Nobody knows who Archie Bunker is anymore, grandpa.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 38 and i have zero idea who he is. The colonies didn't get that early US poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah he's that guy from that season I stopped watching Spartacus

You are a broken human being, condolences.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

VDay posted:

You are a broken human being, condolences.

Yeah I've seen that episode about the violence and I've seen that episode about the tits. What am I missing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah I've seen that episode about the violence and I've seen that episode about the tits. What am I missing

The one about the cocks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And then the one about all 3.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

if it doesn't show erections then any episode about cocks is some soft poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Just some examples of the best dialogue, characters, characterization, progressive relationships, action, choreography, cinematography, and backstabbing politics ever put on television.

Like, I'm not a crazy person so I'm not going to pretend that Spartacus is the kind of show that everyone should watch and automatically love, but to say that it's nothing but tits, dicks, and violence is a hilariously shallow view.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm 38 and i have zero idea who he is. The colonies didn't get that early US poo poo.

Ironic, since All in the Family is an adaptation of a UK show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
UK didn't really import stuff on TV back then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only problem with Spartacus is there are some antagonists you really want to see get what they deserve but history says they can't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the antagonists. Caesar is a nice mix of pride and arrogance. Hey he's just looking out for Romans.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

VDay posted:

Just some examples of the best dialogue, characters, characterization, progressive relationships, action, choreography, cinematography, and backstabbing politics ever put on television.

Like, I'm not a crazy person so I'm not going to pretend that Spartacus is the kind of show that everyone should watch and automatically love, but to say that it's nothing but tits, dicks, and violence is a hilariously shallow view.

Really? I always thought it was just a guilty pleasure thing. Lots of torsos and comic book-violence and so on... Personally I couldn't even make it through the trailers, it just looks like a lovely, low-budget version of 300 to me. You know, soap opera acting and fight scenes with excessive slow-mo and cg blood effects.

But maybe that's unfair of me. What would be a good place to start with this show? Are there any episodes or scenes in particular that demonstrate this show's strengths? Because I do enjoy roman history, and I was sad to see HBO's Rome canceled before its time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah what's with all these people pretending that Spartacus is legit good tv?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

No one watches Spartacus because Agron takes in it the rear end, you weirdo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sakarja posted:

Really? I always thought it was just a guilty pleasure thing. Lots of torsos and comic book-violence and so on... Personally I couldn't even make it through the trailers, it just looks like a lovely, low-budget version of 300 to me. You know, soap opera acting and fight scenes with excessive slow-mo and cg blood effects.

But maybe that's unfair of me. What would be a good place to start with this show? Are there any episodes or scenes in particular that demonstrate this show's strengths? Because I do enjoy roman history, and I was sad to see HBO's Rome canceled before its time.
Yeah I get where you're coming from, and I think most goons were right there with you when the show first started. It didn't help that the first 3 episodes really were just a cheap 300 knock-off with cheesy blood and pretty terrible dialogue. But the show really found its footing around episode 4, and instead of trying to be realistic just turned everything up to 11. There's absolutely gratuituous nudity, sex, and violence, but it's done for effect and in order to heighten the moments of glory in these people's lovely lives. It ends up giving the whole show a palpable feel/attitude that isn't really there in something like GoT. It's also why I don't really push the show too hard on people, because sometimes they just don't care about all the blood, gore, and tits.

Episode 4 would be the episode to watch to see if you find anything about the show interesting enough to keep watching. All you need to know is that Spartacus got captured and separated from his wife and thrown into the ludus. He lost a fight against the champion so has to make it up to his owner by going down to the pits. It's the point where the original thread on SA went from mocking the show to going "Hey guys...I kind of unironically liked that" and the show just kept improving and building from there. I'm not sure if it'll fill your Roman history quota, the show is mostly focused on the ludus for the first few seasons. It's only when the rebellion is in full swing that you get some scenes back in Rome. Still plenty of scheming/backstabbing in the meantime though.

Irish Joe posted:

No one watches Spartacus because Agron takes in it the rear end, you weirdo.
Careful, if you blow your shitposting load that you've been saving for a month too quickly you might hurt yourself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Found the next show for NBC to remake

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
i..need.. more shows like eric andre or nathan for you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hot Package is back this Friday.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I've really been enjoying Better Call Saul and it's making me think about Breaking Bad - should I go back and watch season 4 episodes 2-12 and season 5 episodes 1-13?

Because I skipped those ones.

That's a thing I actually did.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 22, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

VagueRant posted:

I've really been enjoying Better Call Saul and it's making me think about Breaking Bad - should I go back and watch season 4 episodes 2-12 and season 5 episodes 1-13?

I'm gonna guess you already know the answer to this question.

Yes. Oh my God, yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Please watch all of Breaking Bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

VagueRant posted:

What? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

No. You don't get to.

• Locked thread