Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LibbyM posted:

I was bored on netflix and just rewatched the first episode of How I Met Your Mother and enjoyed myself, I actually felt pretty nostalgic. Back when I was watching the show for the first time I quit somewhere around halfway through season 5, it had felt like a chore to watch for quite a while.

Watching and enjoying the first episode again made me want to maybe try and go back and finish it out. This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?

It goes downhill in season 4, and then improves in the last season until it pisses on you in the final episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rome and Deadwood. They were cancelled but in the case of Rome it wrapped everything up and Deadwood it worked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Life on Mars (UK) and Ashes to Ashes had pretty great finales. The Colbert Reports finale was amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Well Joe is not wrong that some shows should just learn to end it on a good note and let them sail off into the sunset. Maybe close a few things off but I much prefer shows that know they should end on "and they had more adventures after this", although to be fair that's what most shows that get canceled end up having to do anyway.

With Breaking Bad the whole premise was Mr. Chips turns to Scarface, so Walter White having a definite end was always known.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Boatswain posted:

So I've been watching some Battlestar Galactica now & I can't get over stupid it is that they use frack instead of gently caress, especially when they say fracking :laffo:

Its from the original series and keeps the Sci Fi custom of having different swears. See also Farscape.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He was also in Spooks

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hcreight posted:

That sounds pretty dang cool. Until you get to the 80s, anyway. I wonder if they'll be the full episodes or the bullshit shortened versions.

There will still be a couple edited episodes. The Martin Lawrence one and the one with the pope tear.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bown posted:

That happened on a British music show called Top of the Pops but I don't know about SNL.

What did Martin Lawrence say? Wiki just says it was something about "feminine hygiene".

Here you go
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93nmono.phtml

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IRQ posted:

I could swear it was SNL but I could be crazy.

I am pretty sure SNL you are suppose to do it live, as people have gotten in trouble for lip synching and also changing songs midway through.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I'd always heard mixed things. I'd heard there was a plan but with Anderson getting pregnant it forced their hand. Other times I'd heard that Carter basically had stuff planned up until the movie, but after that he floundered and they basically just made poo poo up. I just can't really get that excited about seeing The X-Files again, outside of seeing Duchovny and Anderson working together. That last movie was dreadful and the show hit the world in a very particular time and place, a time that's basically gone now.

The best thing to ever happen to the show was Anderson getting pregnant. The abduction arc really kicked off the show

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

Look at who wrote it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Depends how much you want to read into the casting call descriptions, which could be as close or as far as how they actually want to play the characters.

Hope they get Lucy Lawless for Cat Grant, and keep on casting Spartacus alumni.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So Hancock.

A bit but she also works as a PI for cases involving super heroes and villains.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Misfits was good until the end. Rudy was awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Why is superman flying it clearly states he is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Also what is the deal with this Kryptonite stuff? It is not in the comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Remember when Kilborn left and everyone was like "Hmmm I dunno about this Stewart guy, Daily Show might suck now...."

He already had hosting experience when he took over the Larry Sanders Show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

She would presumably leave at least most of those if she landed The Daily Show.

Or like John Oliver cut back on the podcast. More Bugles damnit :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VDay posted:

I didn't mind it for what it was, but the ending fell flat for me. Her doing spy stuff while trying to hide from SSR was pretty interesting/fun. Her being accepted back with a cliche slow-clap scene followed by them quickly dispatching the bad guys and saving the day just reminded me of early season 1 AoS and all their inconsequential adventures. I wonder if them not being sure whether this is going to be a one-time thing or a continued series had anything to do with the bland ending. Maybe they would've done something more interesting or something that actually tied into SHIELD more if they had no plans to potentially make more episodes next year.

We do not if Leviathan is going to tie in to the second half of SHIELD.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

But it's an NBC sitcom that NBC refused to air because it was too weird, that gives me hope. Most of NBCs output isn't that bad, CBS certainly beat them in the stakes to see who can get the biggest piece of garbage to air this year with The Odd Couple.

I assume its due to having everything on Kenneth's list of TV no-no words

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

raditts posted:

That doesn't really make it better, though. The only thing that makes me interested is the Rob Thomas pedigree, but even that's iffy based on the last season / movie of Veronica Mars.

Party Down

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

How much of a presence is Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock? I've seen a couple episodes, and would like to watch it in earnest, but I've always been turned off by having to put up with someone as unfunny as Tracy Morgan.

He is very important part of 30 Rock and he is really funny in it. He is also a stabbing robot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Dr. Who is a BBC show right? Or is that too niche

That is the show that can not be named. Remember the rules

Thread Rules.

1 - No Korra
2 - No Dr. Who
3 - Do not reply to Toxxupation

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IRQ posted:

Ok, let's see, what's he done since TNG, oh he was some voice in the Gargoyles show, I remember that being good when I was 13, moving along, guest start in a procedural, guest star in a procedural, Nemesis, guest star in a procedural...

He mostly directs now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

With a sideline in doing the most mindbendingly banal commentaries ever put on DVD.

Unless its Star Trek and he is completely hammered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Hard to forget his poo poo eating grin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Paraphrasing from Vince Gilligan on the Better Call Saul podcast but it's precisely because television writing is so collaborative and they're flying by the seat of their pants the entire time that showrunners will forego bibles entirely and write things as they happen based on what makes for the best story instead of being beholden to an outdated bible.

Also things happen like characters become popular, actors leave, or things do not work out as envisioned so they can not be beholden to anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IRQ posted:

I too would rather see a police procedural about a Krampus more than a Banshee, if that's what he was getting at.

It would be pretty obvious who is responsible for every child death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Never heard of him, is he good?

You should watch his first segment about him coming to America from South Africa.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This is the best roast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_WUn_1kCQ

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bobjr posted:

That roast was funny just to see how drugged up they let Courtney Love be without someone intervening.

See also Andy Dick at roasts. RIP John Lovitz

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

All this roast talk and no one mentioned the Chevy Chase one, in which it was clear that people were there just because they hated him. It's one of the more cringeworthy things I've seen.

You mean the one I posted a video of?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

Most of the awesomeness of the episode comes from having Mark Hamill playing The Trickster, who is basically The Flash's version of The Joker. It's probably the closest we will get to seeing the Joker on TV. (In case you didn't know, Hamill has been the go to guy for Joker voice acting for over 20 years. Ever seen a cartoon with the Joker showing up? That was probably Hamill. Played the first two Batman: Arkham games? That was Hamill.)

It's mostly MOTW, with maybe 10~15 minutes of flashbacks, with some explanation of why the season long villain is a doing what he's doing. If you're familiar with the buildup, then the flashback stuff was actually pretty awesome. If you're not familiar, then the Harrison Welles/Reverse Flash stuff might be somewhat confusing.

He was also the Trickster in the original flash series in the 90s. The actor who plays Barry's father played the flash on that show too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Been hearing good things about "Cheers" lately since it's on Netflix now, started watching it and liking it, but I'm kinda looking forward to Shelley Long leaving the show because Diane is definitely the worst part.

Not looking forward to losing Coach :(

Yeah but we get Woody Harrelson

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I've heard, the actress who played Diane kept trying to give notes to the writers to get rid of Frasier, and pissing off the writers. She was adamant about getting rid of Frasier, since he was stealing her lines, to the that the writers just kept Frasier around as an FU to Shelley Long.

Actors act, writers write, and if an actor tries to step over the line to send notes to tell the writers how to write, nothing good will come from it.

The two of them had a beef and it not until Diane showed up on Frasier did the two actors make peace. That episode is also amazing as it includes Diane's version of Cheers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's been canon since near the start that he was hit by Comic Book Magic Goo not just rando acid or whatever, he developed his senses and abilities but they gave him the ability to do poo poo like 'your heart is beating so you're a liar' and poo poo instead of just 'I hear someone coming up behind me I should punch them'.

Also creates Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Last I checked when I read it, it was for the first 7 episodes and she missed a detail in the pilot?

You know like how his powers work and that he even has powers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You forgot the homophobia!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

wait a minute

I can't wait till the big reveal

There was also the scene with him looking at the rings in the bathroom, and a player prances out after him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

It's not the tone or even the fight scenes, its someone smashing there face into a metal spike and having the camera track it or a 30 second shot and sound of someone getting their head smashed in. Maybe I'm old but there is a time and a place for that kind of stuff.

Yeah on a show with gangsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

A superhero show with gangsters.

A superhero show that is based off a comic that has brutal beatings occurring, people getting their heads crushed, and other horrible stuff happening all the time.

• Locked thread